PDA

View Full Version : Pitch Black: pretty good!

The Hodag
04-10-2009, 07:41 AM
NeverWanderer was reminding me about this flick the other day (only ever saw the first one) and I rewatched it for the first time since, oh, probably when it first hit DVD. Very different from what I remembered. Maybe I was retroactively mapping Vin Diesel's later flicks onto it, but I'd forgotten it's really more of a survival/suspense flick than a straight-up actioneer.

And it's pretty good. Got a diverse cast to drop into its potboiler scenario, and the interesting approach of having no full-bore villains. Even the assholes are kind of sympathetic! Nice bleached-out cinematography. Two cute chicks in the cast, but neither played for sex objects for even a minute. Cool novelty premise. Great opening crash sequence.

And Diesel's Riddick is a memorable anti-hero, maybe the first original film hero of the 2000s (who else we got? Jack Bauer, Jason Bourne, maybe a few others).

Next up, Chronicles of Riddick...

nihilance
04-10-2009, 07:46 AM
NeverWanderer was reminding me about this flick the other day (only ever saw the first one) and I rewatched it for the first time since, oh, probably when it first hit DVD. Very different from what I remembered. Maybe I was retroactively mapping Vin Diesel's later flicks onto it, but I'd forgotten it's really more of a survival/suspense flick than a straight-up actioneer.

And it's pretty good. Got a diverse cast to drop into its potboiler scenario, and the interesting approach of having no full-bore villains. Even the assholes are kind of sympathetic! Nice bleached-out cinematography. Two cute chicks in the cast, but neither played for sex objects for even a minute. Cool novelty premise. Great opening crash sequence.

And Diesel's Riddick is a memorable anti-hero, maybe the first original film hero of the 2000s (who else we got? Jack Bauer, Jason Bourne, maybe a few others).

Next up, Chronicles of Riddick...

Jack Sparrow is another I'd say.

The Hodag
04-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Jack Sparrow is another I'd say.

Most definitely.

THWIP!
04-10-2009, 07:54 AM
I rewatched this recently too and still liked it as much as I did when I saw it for the first time all those years ago.

c. page
04-10-2009, 07:56 AM
it is quite good. wasn't impressed by the sequel, but i thought that pitch black still holds up fairly well.

The Human Target
04-10-2009, 07:58 AM
It is way better than it has any right to be.

But Chronicles is terrible, avoid it like the black death.

However the Chronicles of Riddick video game is fucking tits.

The Hodag
04-10-2009, 08:04 AM

Even if just to have a little fun revisiting the character, I gotta see Chronicles.

Now as to the game...that was for the original XBox, right? I got a 360 fairly recently and now that I think about it, I don't even know if it's backwards compatible or anything. But a few weeks back I did download the new Riddick game (a retooling of the original, did I hear?) and after playing it for just a minute or two I decided it sucked. But I was playing a lot of demos that day, so maybe it just struck me wrong.

Akira
04-10-2009, 08:05 AM
I keep meaning to pick this up on Blu-ray one of these days. I've only seen it once or twice on cable, but loved it.

Ashwin Pande
04-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Yeah Pitch Black was pretty good, surprisingly good.

Riddick sucked. I fell asleep while watching it. It's pretty impressive how they made an action/adventure sci-fi movie with some interesting ideas into such a snoozefest.

Jef UK
04-10-2009, 08:10 AM
I love this movie.

NOT FOR ME!!!!!!

schizorabbit
04-10-2009, 08:12 AM

I just caught Chronicles again on blu-ray, remembering that I hated it the first time I saw it, and liked it a little more this time around. The plot's kinda stupid, and there's this weird Macbeth subplot that was kind of odd. And I thought the bad guys were the most stupidly conceived bad guys ever. It was like goth meets LARP. And they use emaciated, writhing bodies as walkie-talkies. What. The. Fuck.

But it did had a few, rated R sci-fi Conan-in-Space action scenes in there, which I enjoyed immensely. Supposedly, Vin Diesel and Twohy are going back to monsters with the third film.

The Human Target
04-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Even if just to have a little fun revisiting the character, I gotta see Chronicles.

Now as to the game...that was for the original XBox, right? I got a 360 fairly recently and now that I think about it, I don't even know if it's backwards compatible or anything. But a few weeks back I did download the new Riddick game (a retooling of the original, did I hear?) and after playing it for just a minute or two I decided it sucked. But I was playing a lot of demos that day, so maybe it just struck me wrong.

I haven't got to mess with the updated version yet, but the original X-Box one was pretty amazing.

Though that is as always subjective.

The Hodag
04-10-2009, 08:19 AM
It's interesting to me that it had a group of pious Muslim pilgrims (with plenty of "Allahu Akbars") a year before America would begin its greatest struggle with how it perceives that faith. Certainly not the first peace-loving Muslims on film, but it's hard to imagine that script getting a pass after 9/11.

But the movie's got a good script just in general. It definitely didn't "act" like it was kicking off an action franchise, so it did something I suspect its sequel didn't and tried to make ALL the characters decently well-rounded.

It also takes its time, maybe even a little too much. The eclipse doesn't happen till past the halfway mark, and Riddick's threat level isn't really showcased until the end. I mean, he actually gets taken down twice by his guard! :lol:

S. Earl
04-10-2009, 08:31 AM
loved that movie, and I really thought I was going to hate it.

nihilance
04-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Don't listen to them...Chronicles of Riddick is WAY better than Pitch Black. It basically IS Conan in space and is awesome for it.

Andy Kuhn
04-10-2009, 08:37 AM
PITCH BLACK is good, CHRONICLES is not so good.
i haven't seen it, but i hear that the strait to video
ANIMATED RIDDICK is good too.

S. Earl
04-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Don't listen to them...Chronicles of Riddick is WAY better than Pitch Black. It basically IS Conan in space and is awesome for it.

CONAN IN SPACE ? Really? I will watch this since I'm never getting my Warlord of Mars movie.

NeverWanderer
04-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Yay! Glad you enjoyed it, dude!

I have heard that the new "Assault on Dark Athena(?)" game is basically "Escape From Butcher Bay" plus an additional plot line after that.

AND... when I played the original Butcher Bay demo, I was *not* impressed. Soaring reviews and a super cheap price point were the ONLY reason I picked up the game itself, and I was stunned by how badly the demo represented it. If you're not a fan of first-person games in general, I can understand you not digging it, BUT, don't think that it's just a first person *shooter*. It does have its shooter moments, but it also relies heavily on RPG like interactions and a decent amount of stealth. It's like Halo, Morrowind, and Metal Gear Solid (or Syphon Filter, take your pick) wrapped up into one game, with a pretty cool plotline throughout.

The Hodag
04-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Yay! Glad you enjoyed it, dude!

I have heard that the new "Assault on Dark Athena(?)" game is basically "Escape From Butcher Bay" plus an additional plot line after that.

AND... when I played the original Butcher Bay demo, I was *not* impressed. Soaring reviews and a super cheap price point were the ONLY reason I picked up the game itself, and I was stunned by how badly the demo represented it. If you're not a fan of first-person games in general, I can understand you not digging it, BUT, don't think that it's just a first person *shooter*. It does have its shooter moments, but it also relies heavily on RPG like interactions and a decent amount of stealth. It's like Halo, Morrowind, and Metal Gear Solid (or Syphon Filter, take your pick) wrapped up into one game, with a pretty cool plotline throughout.

I definitely dig FPS games (though I don't play as often these days), but I was expecting the game to be third-person and it did throw me off when it wasn't. It sounds cool, though, so I'll check it out a little more thoroughly.

Do old-school XBox games play on the 360?

NeverWanderer
04-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I definitely dig FPS games (though I don't play as often these days), but I was expecting the game to be third-person and it did throw me off when it wasn't. It sounds cool, though, so I'll check it out a little more thoroughly.

Do old-school XBox games play on the 360?

I think only the special one with the wireless remotes was backwards compatible (which is a buncha bullshit, if you ask me), but I don't know for sure; don't got no 360. :)

Still, assuming Dark Athena isn't a complete clusterfuck, you should be fine just getting that.

Jef UK
04-10-2009, 09:09 AM

Guh. No.

NeverWanderer
04-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Guh. No.

It's fun if you're forgiving.

Robert James
04-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Chronicles of Riddick is a fun movie and doesn't exactly deserve the hate it gets, but Pitch Black is definitely the better movie.

What they should have done, is flip-flop the upcoming movie with Chronicles and it would have been a better lead-in. Start the movie with Riddick alone, nearly dead, hunted by people and monsters for the first half of the movie. Then they should have led more slowly into the galactic stuff they just threw at everyone in Chronicles at the end of it, leading into the second part of the "trilogy." It could have even ended with him arriving on Helios Prime and the Necromongers showing up. Probably would have been better received that way.

The Human Target
04-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Chronicles of Riddick deserves all the hate it gets and more.

Christ.

The only part thats not terrible is the jail section.

oconnellmd
04-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Christ.

It's got the electric girl from "Angel" in it. That's about the only selling point to me.

The Human Target
04-10-2009, 09:50 PM
It's got the electric girl from "Angel" in it. That's about the only selling point to me.

Sadly, her character is a terrible c-u-n-t in the movie.

But I do love her.

J. Wilson
04-11-2009, 12:26 PM
I loved Pitch Black...I remember the review in the local paper that basically said they were expecting a crappy movie going in and got one of the best sci-fi movies of that year instead.

Ray G.
04-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Pitch Black is one of my favorite space horror movies ever. Great characters, great action, and some really original monsters.

schizorabbit
04-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Christ.

Oh yeah, the electric girl. And I did like the prison planet stuff (the fight scene, for example, where Riddick and electric girl do their who-can-kill-more-baddies competition). As I stated above, I might've liked it a lot more if the bad guys weren't so...Riddickulous.

c. page
04-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah, the electric girl. And I did like the prison planet stuff (the fight scene, for example, where Riddick and electric girl do their who-can-kill-more-baddies competition). As I stated above, I might've liked it a lot more if the bad guys weren't so...Riddickulous.

boo, sir. boo.

Wastrel
04-11-2009, 02:13 PM
CONAN IN SPACE ? Really? I will watch this since I'm never getting my Warlord of Mars movie.

wha? yes you are, pixar is making it.