PDA

View Full Version : I can't help but notice there haven't been any Juno threads for a while...

The Hodag
04-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Right, so I decided I finally needed to see this flick, see what all the hubbub was about. Only thing I knew going in was that I'd seen the first episode of United States of Tara by the same writer and liked that quite a bit.

And now the problem is I don't think I'm even gonna be able to make it through. I'm only about 20 minutes in and the dialogue is killing me. Killing me! It's not like I've never enjoyed quirky, hipster scripts, but I don't think I've ever been so accutely aware of one before.

Man, is it, uh, trying.

But all the characters just feel like constructs to deliver the quirk and I don't believe in any of them - even within their little self-contained filmic world. But I do find them all kind of annoying.

So go ahead and mark me down as one of the nays, whoever's doing the formal count here.

And now I'm worried it's gonna ruin United States of Tara if I ever get back to it. And Scott Pilgrim by Cera-association.

Damn you, Juno! :mad:

Ashwin Pande
04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
The script for Jennifer's Body is decent.

It's not great or anything but for a cheesy horror movie it's good.

NeverWanderer
04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Get through the whole movie and see how you feel.

The dialogue stood out to me at first, but as the thing spread out more, it wasn't as bad, and the characters depth was made very apparent... even Juno's. :)

The Hodag
04-02-2009, 10:39 PM
The script for Jennifer's Body is decent.

It's not great or anything but for a cheesy horror movie it's good.

Oh yeah, that's her zombie thing, right?

You're just looking at an advance copy of the script, right? I was thinking the actual movie was a ways off.

(akaRyanHoffman)
04-02-2009, 10:39 PM
eh, whatever. It's a sweet fun little movie.

The Hodag
04-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Get through the whole movie and see how you feel.

The dialogue stood out to me at first, but as the thing spread out more, it wasn't as bad, and the characters depth was made very apparent... even Juno's. :)

You're lying.

You hated it and you're jusy trying to drag me to hell with you.

:no:

Well, okay, I'm gonna go shower and I'll watch a bit more after that, see how I feel. Only giving it 20 minutes seems so ADD. So...Benbo. And I should probably tough it out a bit more.

Ashwin Pande
04-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Oh yeah, that's her zombie thing, right?

You're just looking at an advance copy of the script, right? I was thinking the actual movie was a ways off.

Not really a zombie movie, it is a horror movie though.

Yeah, movie's out later this year I think. It should be a decent watch.

The Crushtacean
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/crushstacean/star-wars-emperor1.jpg

Give in to your hate.

The Hodag
04-02-2009, 10:48 PM
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/crushstacean/star-wars-emperor1.jpg

Give in to your hate.

See, this is more the post I was waiting for. :thumb:

NeverWanderer
04-02-2009, 10:52 PM
You're lying.

You hated it and you're jusy trying to drag me to hell with you.

:no:

Well, okay, I'm gonna go shower and I'll watch a bit more after that, see how I feel. Only giving it 20 minutes seems so ADD. So...Benbo. And I should probably tough it out a bit more.

Dude, I was being tame... I friggin LOVED Juno and get very frustrated and confused when people start ragging on it. :p

This was me *sparing* you that.

(akaRyanHoffman)
04-02-2009, 10:56 PM
It was much too harmless a movie for the negative reactions it got out of some people.

The Hodag
04-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Dude, I was being tame... I friggin LOVED Juno and get very frustrated and confused when people start ragging on it. :p

Noted.

Mo' later, gonna go watch it for a bit.

But speaking of quirky comedies, where do you stand on Napoleon Dynamite? I caught it after hearing all the hype, but also after assuming all the hype was just that and that I'd probably dislike it as much as I seem to be disliking Juno.

But then I really liked it.

Ben
04-02-2009, 10:59 PM
It was much too harmless a movie for the negative reactions it got out of some people.Seriously.

The Hodag
04-02-2009, 11:01 PM
It was much too harmless a movie for the negative reactions it got out of some people.

Probably just the fate of it having become a cult hit, same as the aforementioned Napoleon Dynamite. Heightened expectations, highly subjective quirky comedy genre, etc.

And I don't feel any particularly scandalous hatred toward it - I just wanted to have my own Juno thread like all the cool kids did months ago.

But I promise: no Grant Morrison threads.

NeverWanderer
04-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Noted.

Mo' later, gonna go watch it for a bit.

But speaking of quirky comedies, where do you stand on Napoleon Dynamite? I caught it after hearing all the hype, but also after assuming all the hype was just that and that I'd probably dislike it as much as I seem to be disliking Juno.

But then I really liked it.

I was sort of indifferent to Napoleon Dynamite when it was in theaters -- though everything I saw from it what amusing.

When I finally watched it on DVD, I was sort of unimpressed for the first half-hour or so... until I stopped trying to analyze it and just decided to enjoy myself.

I love that flick too. :)

dougmac
04-02-2009, 11:10 PM
it's great that we can get new threads about movies from 2 years ago

NeverWanderer
04-02-2009, 11:36 PM

I know, right? You'd think this was an open forum where people could talk about pop culture stuff when they feel like it.

Albert
04-02-2009, 11:42 PM
As the writer of the movie, I'm disappointed you weren't into it.

dougmac
04-03-2009, 12:00 AM
I know, right? You'd think this was an open forum where people could talk about pop culture stuff when they feel like it.

you're right, but it's not a blog or twitter either.

NeverWanderer
04-03-2009, 12:12 AM
you're right, but it's not a blog or twitter either.

I'm fighting the urge to continue being facetious here, because I really find this statement ridiculous.

You're correct, the Bendis Board is not a blog or twitter... but I wasn't aware that bringing up old movies for discussion on a pop culture message board was particularly bloggy.

I mean... analyze what just happened here. You could have kept on scrolling, but instead you choose to click into this thread JUST to post a negative reply implying that this discussion that other people are happily taking part in shouldn't exist.

Why? Because it's you're responsibility to police the board to make sure people aren't having conversations about their personal experiences?

How does this, in any way, make sense?

...unless you were joking. In which case, whatever, leave me alone, I'm in a mood. ;)

But if you're *serious* about this? What the fuck?

dougmac
04-03-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm fighting the urge to continue being facetious here, because I really find this statement ridiculous.

You're correct, the Bendis Board is not a blog or twitter... but I wasn't aware that bringing up old movies for discussion on a pop culture message board was particularly bloggy.

I mean... analyze what just happened here. You could have kept on scrolling, but instead you choose to click into this thread JUST to post a negative reply implying that this discussion that other people are happily taking part in shouldn't exist.

Why? Because it's you're responsibility to police the board to make sure people aren't having conversations about their personal experiences?

How does this, in any way, make sense?

...unless you were joking. In which case, whatever, leave me alone, I'm in a mood. ;)

But if you're *serious* about this? What the fuck?

the first post was just half joking half serious but I forgot the emoticon. The second was because I thought your response was overly pissy. This one is because I think it's funny that you thought I should have just moved on but couldn't follow your own advice.

Look people can post whatever they want, but I found it to be a bit silly that there was a thread titled "I can't help but notice there haven't been any Juno threads for a while..." when the movie came out years ago not weeks ago. This is a message board and there is freedom to post anything (mostly) but it's not a personal blog or twitter that warrants an update for every old movie or cd or tv that someone has just seen. Lord knows this isn't the first or last thread like this, but whatever. I only clicked on because I thought there might be something relevent to something recent but instead it's just a review of an old movie.

NeverWanderer
04-03-2009, 12:35 AM
the first post was just half joking half serious but I forgot the emoticon. The second was because I thought your response was overly pissy. This one is because I think it's funny that you thought I should have just moved on but couldn't follow your own advice.

Look people can post whatever they want, but I found it to be a bit silly that there was a thread titled "I can't help but notice there haven't been any Juno threads for a while..." when the movie came out years ago not weeks ago. This is a message board and there is freedom to post anything (mostly) but it's not a personal blog or twitter that warrants an update for every old movie or cd or tv that someone has just seen. Lord knows this isn't the first or last thread like this, but whatever. I only clicked on because I thought there might be something relevent to something recent but instead it's just a review of an old movie.

Okay. To your first paragraph, I say... yeah. I'm noticing myself becoming way too pissy about this stuff. So, for misunderstanding your intent, my bad.

To the second paragraph, I still don't see this quite the same way you do. The reason the title is the way it is is because, back when the movie came out, there was a new thread about it popping up almost every day. So, the title of this thread, I'm guessing, was supposed to be ironic. (And if it wasn't irony, I'm sure Jef UK will pop up and correct me.)

But aside from that... when we see something for the first time, we want to talk to people about it. There may be a six month old thread (or, in this case, fifty) where other people are heatedly debating it, but that was six months ago, and that was other people, and it really harms no one to start a new discussion now.

Sometimes I just feel like people get WAY too up in arms about this type of thing. So, of course, I get way too up in arms in defense of it.

Anyway... yeah. I'm putting my pissy away now. :shifty:

Ashwin Pande
04-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Rabble Rabble Rabble!!

The Hodag
04-03-2009, 01:00 AM
The reason the title is the way it is is because, back when the movie came out, there was a new thread about it popping up almost every day. So, the title of this thread, I'm guessing, was supposed to be ironic.

*ding*

Yeah, I was trying to be self-deprecating about being a johnny-come-lately to the weirdly polarizing Juno debate that gripped the board back in aught seven. Heady times.

Anyway, I watched the whole flick but I'm too tired to post now and work looms in a several hours. Tomorrow: my epiphany.

Jonathan Callan
04-03-2009, 01:29 AM

I'm so tired of bullshit Thread Nazism. Let people post about whatever the fuck they want.

Some streamlining is fine but there's like three active threads right now. I like Hodag. I'm happy to see a thread about his thoughts.

costello
04-03-2009, 03:12 AM

I don't know why but I love listening to people complain about this film, yet I actually like it.

costello
04-03-2009, 03:18 AM

Have you seen my thread "I just watched Juno... (spoilers)"?

You should look it up; it's still relevant.

costello
04-03-2009, 03:24 AM
I'm fighting the urge to create an "I just watched Blade Runner" thread.

Patton
04-03-2009, 04:04 AM

I dunno. It definitely, uh, harms something when writing like that gets nominated for and wins an Oscar.

DaveCummings
04-03-2009, 04:39 AM

Holy crap! You're really Diablo Cody!??!?!?!

costello
04-03-2009, 05:06 AM

You seriously didn't know this?

Ashwin Pande
04-03-2009, 05:11 AM
I thought everyone knew Albert used to be a stripper.

TheTravis!
04-03-2009, 05:21 AM
I love Juno. It's a sweet, harmless, fun and cute movie that really isn't trying to be anything but. I'm pretty much using the hate towards it as my barometer of people whose opinions I can ignore.

TheTravis!
04-03-2009, 05:24 AM
I thought everyone knew Albert used to be a stripper.

"Used to be"?

Doug
04-03-2009, 06:07 AM

You should hear his sex-line voice. It's smokey like Kathleen Turner.

Caley Tibbittz
04-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Juno fucking sucked.

TheTravis!
04-03-2009, 06:59 AM
I love Juno. It's a sweet, harmless, fun and cute movie that really isn't trying to be anything but. I'm pretty much using the hate towards it as my barometer of people whose opinions I can ignore.

Juno fucking sucked.

Exhibit A. :)

The Hodag
04-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Anyway, I watched the whole flick but I'm too tired to post now and work looms in a several hours. Tomorrow: my epiphany.

Okay, I'm back, and thanks to anyone who upheld my right to whine about pop culture.

I still didn't end up liking the movie, though. I almost bonded with it over the orange Tic-Tacs, a vice I once had until I became allergic to them, but in the end I just couldn't make it past the dialogue and never warmed to the characters. I felt like what I think people who hate Joss Whedon felt like - the dialogue was just trying so annoyingly hard, and it kept failing for me, time and again.

The epiphany:

In the interest of full disclosure, it may actually be impossible for me to give Juno a fair shake based on a realization I had: Juno has the exact personality and verbal tics as my soon-to-be sister-in-law...and to say I'm struggling to learn to like her is an understatement. And it's not like she just sorta reminds me of Juno - no, it's like she must've seen the movie and decided to pattern her very LIFE on it. So when I started hating the character early on, I don't know if it was because she came off as an unlikeably snarky, self-centered beeyotch...or because she so reminded me of my unlikeably snarky, self-centered beeyotch of a sister-in-law.

It's a chicken/egg situation. :-?

Caley Tibbittz
04-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Exhibit A. :)

Yeah, but you were ignoring my opinion years before Juno came out.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I quite liked it.

Masculine Todd
04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Juno, to me, was pretty lame.

The Hodag
04-03-2009, 08:55 AM

Follow-up question: thoughts on the folksy music?

It did seem to very much "fit" the movie, but didn't do much for me personally.

Caley Tibbittz
04-03-2009, 08:58 AM

The music was as posed, artificial, and self-conscious as the movie, so they did fit together nicely.

The Hodag
04-03-2009, 08:59 AM
The music was as posed, artificial, and self-conscious as the movie, so they did fit together nicely.

:lol:

Buk Was Right
I quite liked it.

You better check around on the internets yo!

Turns out you're completely wrong and you in fact didn't like it at all.

TheTravis!

I'm of the exact opposite perspective. I love the soundtrack, I think it's solid gold. But I question how appropriate some of the song choices are to Juno's character. I have a hard time thinking that any chick who rails on and on about the Stooges is really going to be super-immersed in the Moldy Peaches.

Of course my pet theory is that the soundtrack isn't Juno's soundtrack, it's Paulie Bleeker's soundtrack. When I think of it that way, it helps me sleep at night.

TheTravis!
04-03-2009, 09:00 AM

I have more taste than you in my stool.

TheTravis!
04-03-2009, 09:00 AM

I accept this criticism due to the qualifier "to me".

Albert
04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
I have more taste than you in my stool.

And that taste is "smokey mesquite."

TheTravis!
04-03-2009, 09:08 AM
And that taste is "smokey mesquite."

Weird, right?

costello
04-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Weird, right?

Mmmm.... it has a sort of Boston Market aftertaste to it. Have you been eating meatloaf?

c. page
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM

yup.

costello
04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
If I hate anything about Juno, it's the commercial for Comcast cable that's an obvious ripoff.

Armored Dildo
04-03-2009, 09:47 AM
This thread is going to go mega, and have little to do with the title.

Criden
04-03-2009, 09:49 AM
This thread is going to go mega, and have little to do with the title.

GOmega Flight, eh?

Nick Spencer
04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Jesus.

So sick of this.

schizorabbit
04-03-2009, 09:53 AM
If this movie were a girl, I'd totally hit it.

Armored Dildo
04-03-2009, 09:54 AM
GOmega Flight, eh?

:thumb: GAlpha...

No, wait. I'm doing it wrong.

Armored Dildo
04-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Jesus.

So sick of this.

You think that's bad?

Look at who the awards named after the movie went to!!!!

http://www.junoawards.ca/nominees-2009/en/categories.html

TheTravis!
04-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Mmmm.... it has a sort of Boston Market aftertaste to it. Have you been eating meatloaf?

You just blew my mind.

Ben Weldon
04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
This is one of the reasons I love the BenBo. 25% of posts on the subject, 75% of posts bemoaning the verry existence of the thread and thus extending it in to eternal intelectual circle jerk.

God i've missed you magnificent bastards!

Adrian B AWESOME
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM

:lol:

The Hodag
04-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Jesus.

So sick of this.

The world is pitiless and cruel.

And not everybody likes the same fucking shit.

Joe Kalicki
04-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Wait till you guys see my Juno thread!

But first I have to make my Wall-E one.

Doc Randy
04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I totally get why people don't like this movie. No form of creative endeavor is going to be for everybody. Nor should it be.

Well-reasoned respectful criticism is a wonderful thing. It just seems to be a rarity these days.

What I don't get is the widespread compulsion on the internet to have such a virulent and vituperative response to anything popular that people seem to enjoy.

Oh well... I am old. I don't begrudge anybody their joy.

The Hodag
04-03-2009, 01:00 PM
What I don't get is the widespread compulsion on the internet to have such a virulent and vituperative response to anything popular that people seem to enjoy.

What here's been "virulent and vituperative?" I don't think we've gone into you're double-v territory. I don't think one or two people saying, "Yeah, I thought it sucked too" is near so caustic as you're suggesting.

Doc Randy
04-03-2009, 01:12 PM
What here's been "virulent and vituperative?" I don't think we've gone into you're double-v territory. I don't think one or two people saying, "Yeah, I thought it sucked too" is near so caustic as you're suggesting.

This thread is relatively tame, but I was talking more on a macro level.

The Hodag
04-03-2009, 01:17 PM
This thread is relatively tame, but I was talking more on a macro level.

This from the Dreamworks hater!

;)

Horizon Drive
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I really liked this movie. Yeah, the Rainn Wilson dialogue and the swear to blog line is over the top, but after a while it didn't seem that bad to me. I even choked up during certain scenes of the movie.

But then again, I think of this movie as a sequel to Spider-Man 3, Elektra, and X3, combined with the Arrested Development movie.

costello
04-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I fucking hate water. It's wet and stuff.

Albert
04-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I totally get why people don't like this movie. No form of creative endeavor is going to be for everybody. Nor should it be.

Well-reasoned respectful criticism is a wonderful thing. It just seems to be a rarity these days.

Oh well... I am old. I don't begrudge anybody their joy.

Plenty of people enjoy Girls Gone Wild, yet I think they should be begrudged for that.

The Crushtacean
04-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Plenty of people enjoy Girls Gone Wild, yet I think they should be begrudged for that.

Pretty sure Randy specified creative endeavor. There's nothing creative about getting drunk, flashing your tits, and kissing another girl. Stroking her smooth skin, clumsily removing her shorts as you...

Sorry, I, uh, gotta go.

King of Mars
04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Juno fucking sucked!

costello
04-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Juno fucking sucked!

You know what move sucks? Fucking Blade Runner. Blade Runner was a massive piece of shit.

The Hodag
04-03-2009, 10:53 PM

The Girls Gone Wild thing reminds me in a roundabout way...

My future sister-in-law who lurves Juno and acts just like Juno? She was talking about how much she liked Ellen Page in Hard Candy (which I did think was okay, though it strikes me her character had a lot of the same nuances), and I was saying, "Yeah, she was pretty good," and then just deadpanned that I thought she was really hot in the movie.

But my pedo joke fell flat as Page's chest when Future Sister-in-Law just took it in stride and said, "I know, I wish I had her complexion!" or something like that.

I know some folks don't get the dry humor, but DAMN. Page looked remarkably like a boy in that flick.

Ashwin Pande
04-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Pretty sure Randy specified creative endeavor. There's nothing creative about getting drunk, flashing your tits, and kissing another girl. Stroking her smooth skin, clumsily removing her shorts as you...

Sorry, I, uh, gotta go.

Awwww... now I gotta go!

Len Snark
04-04-2009, 08:25 AM

This is the Internet, buddy--people complain about EVERYTHING, especially saving the worst bile for "Indie" things that become popular.

And for all the people complaining about hipster dialogue, Juno captures the spirit of the way kids talk much better than most movies.

Patton
04-04-2009, 11:08 AM
And for all the people complaining about hipster dialogue, Juno captures the spirit of the way kids talk much better than most movies.

See I'm not a fan of the movie and I'm all for people enjoying it but when people say things like this about it, it baffles me. Do you actually think that is true?

This is the Internet, buddy--people complain about EVERYTHING, especially saving the worst bile for "Indie" things that become popular.

Also, not liking something is not "internet complaining" or "finding something to complain about." I'm certain you've expressed a dislike for something before. Was that internet complaining?

Len Snark
04-08-2009, 11:47 PM
See I'm not a fan of the movie and I'm all for people enjoying it but when people say things like this about it, it baffles me. Do you actually think that is true?

Speaking as a public school teacher who spends time with high school students on a daily basis, yes. Not all of them, naturally, but the clever ones do.

Also, not liking something is not "internet complaining" or "finding something to complain about." I'm certain you've expressed a dislike for something before. Was that internet complaining?

Complaining in real life = a few remarks here and there to a pal.

Complaining on the Internet = going on and on about flaws in a film and allowing the hate to fester and snowball to proportions grossly inaccurate.