PDA

View Full Version : So I'm a Boring Cook? Help me out

AndrewG
04-01-2009, 09:16 AM
I try to help my wife out by making dinner as often as possible. She and the kids are getting tired of the same old cycle of food: spaghetti, grilled salmon, tacos, bbq chicken, pork chops: repeat.

Problem is the oldest one doesn't like red meat. Wife doesn't really like it either. The younger boy doesn't care for spices or fried foods. The boys obviously aren't ones for veggies (peas, carrots or broccolli is okay, onions, tomatoes and peppers are definate nos). I was thinking of just trying different sauces or sides with the fish and meats to at least give it a more unique flavor.

So anyone have some interesting takes on fish or chicken or pork chops that can jazz things up a bit while taking into account their limited appreciation of ingredients?

Criden
04-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Sure, we usually discuss them here: http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=154295

I know it seems like a long thread, but we try to keep it really accessible. I'll try to offer some advice and help over there. :)

AndrewG
04-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Sure, we usually discuss them here: http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=154295

I know it seems like a long thread, but we try to keep it really accessible. I'll try to offer some advice and help over there. :)

If I'm taking the time to move my finger a couple inches to click on the link I would hope you offer some suggestions in return :)

Criden
04-01-2009, 09:22 AM
If I'm taking the time to move my finger a couple inches to click on the link I would hope you offer some suggestions in return :)

I will. :)

Armored Dildo
04-01-2009, 09:23 AM
If you indulge your kids' reluctance to eat foods that have flavors or ingredients they find weird, you run the risk that they'll be one of those people that can't go out to any restaurant more exotic than a Denny's.

So, as time consuming as my suggestion is, do away with the western approach to dinner (i.e., main meat portion, with one or two side dishes) and make it four equally sized dishes that add up to a dinner meal. So that if they want to be full, they'll have to try some of everything.

And then slowly replace the stuff they sincerely don't like (as opposed to the "I don't like this because it's new and scary" mentality we all had as kids).

I see kids at chinese buffets, and without fail all they grab is fries and spring rolls. God forbid they try mussels in black bean sauce.

AndrewG
04-01-2009, 09:27 AM
If you indulge your kids' reluctance to eat foods that have flavors or ingredients they find weird, you run the risk that they'll be one of those people that can't go out to any restaurant more exotic than a Denny's.

So, as time consuming as my suggestion is, do away with the western approach to dinner (i.e., main meat portion, with one or two side dishes) and make it four equally sized dishes that add up to a dinner meal. So that if they want to be full, they'll have to try some of everything.

And then slowly replace the stuff they sincerely don't like (as opposed to the "I don't like this because it's new and scary" mentality we all had as kids).

I see kids at chinese buffets, and without fail all they grab is fries and spring rolls. God forbid they try mussels in black bean sauce.

Oh they're good about trying stuff. They just know what they don't like after they've tried it. Interestingly enough my cousin came over and made a ziti w garlic bread. The ziti had onions and peppers in it and the garlic bread had cilantro. I get sick on that stuff and could taste it immediately. The two knuckleheads devoured it though.

I like the idea of 4 equally sized dishes. Interesting concept.

Armored Dildo
04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Oh they're good about trying stuff. They just know what they don't like after they've tried it. Interestingly enough my cousin came over and made a ziti w garlic bread. The ziti had onions and peppers in it and the garlic bread had cilantro. I get sick on that stuff and could taste it immediately. The two knuckleheads devoured it though.

I like the idea of 4 equally sized dishes. Interesting concept.

Oh ok, that's cool then.

Yeah, sometimes it's all about how you process an ingredient.

I can't handle chick peas unless it's hummus, for example.

AndrewG
04-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Oh ok, that's cool then.

Yeah, sometimes it's all about how you process an ingredient.

I can't handle chick peas unless it's hummus, for example.

Very true.

The Dean
04-01-2009, 09:38 AM
You should follow Minh Souphanousinphone's advice and add nutmeg to everything.

Thomas Mauer
04-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Try to find a "365 days" cook book with something new for every day. Hell, start collecting cook books about specific countries' cuisines. You'll have fun experimenting and will find a lot of different stuff you all will enjoy eating.

t00lverine
04-01-2009, 10:43 AM
How the hell can anyone get tired of grilled salmon? It's definitely a staple food for me.

bartleby
04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
So I'm a Boring Cook? Help me out

Sure that thread will give him some recipe ideas, but it's not going to do anything to make his personality any more interesting.

Criden
04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Sure that thread will give him some recipe ideas, but it's not going to do anything to make his personality any more interesting.

:lol: