PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Debuts Female Apparel and Cosmetics

SteveFlack
03-26-2009, 10:58 AM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/skeetzjackson/beat02.jpg

Aww, Green Goblin and Spidey complete each other...

http://www.wwd.com/markets-news/marvel-debuts-female-apparel-and-cosmetics-2082130/print/

The consumer products team at Marvel is thinking big when it comes to females.

The entertainment company, best known for its library of comic book superheroes ranging from Spider-Man to Iron Man, is starting 2009 with a major push into the women’s apparel, cosmetics and accessories markets. This move comes after more than 70 years of gearing the bulk of its merchandise assortment to the young men’s market, selling everything from Spider-Man comic books to Captain America business card holders and Incredible Hulk T-shirts.

“Since our core customer has always been guys, we need to be very careful when we introduce female product so that we don’t alienate our core,” said Paul Gitter, president of consumer products, North America, for Marvel Entertainment Inc. “What we have found through testing is that we haven’t alienated them, which gives us the OK to move forward with female product.”

Since 2007, the $5.7 billion consumer products division at Marvel has been testing select items for females, such as graphic character T-shirts at Hot Topic and Gap, and jewelry at Claire’s, among other items at select mass and mid-tier retailers. What executives at the firm found while testing was that when it comes to females, relevance to trends is key. Simply relying on the character alone to sell themselves doesn’t fly.

“Hulk was a big component for us when it came to being eco-friendly, with T-shirts featuring the character and sayings like ‘go green.’ We also introduced a more stylized character graphic which looks like Japanese animation,” said Susan Fields, vice president of product merchandising at Marvel. “Also, anything that we can relate to current music trends does well. For instance, we have a T-shirt where all the superheroes were assembled into a band with a saying like, ‘I heart boys that rock.’”

With more than 5,000 characters available in the company’s archives — from superheroes and villains to friends and relatives of these heros and villains — Fields said the options are limitless. If a high-end department store wants to sell Spider-Man T-shirts and a specialty retailer is also interested, Marvel can adjust the images specifically for each retailer. This way, the merchandise can be tailored for all levels of retail distribution.

In 2009, Fields said the company plans to roll out a series of female-friendly products with a new range of licensing partners. Currently, stores are selling contemporary fashion tops licensed to Mighty Fine, junior fashion tops from Junk Food, mass fashion tops with Fortune Fashions and jewelry with H.E.R. Accessories. Starting with holiday, a larger array of items will be introduced, including handbags from Bioworld, stationary with iScream, color cosmetics with Lotta Luv, and watches and fashion jewelry with MZ Berger.

The plan, Gitter said, is to have a full Marvel lifestyle brand of products available before 2012. Marvel is negotiating deals for footwear, swimwear, outerwear, intimates and loungewear. Also, Fields said, the firm is looking for retail partners that can support the Marvel brand in a big way by merchandising it as a full lifestyle. In addition, Fields said they eventually hope to co-brand with a major designer. The result, Gitter said, will be substantial growth in sales, although he would not give specific projections.

“We are not recession proof, but I would like to think we are recession resistant,” he said. “I believe that if you can layer innovation and newness, even in tough economic times, you can have a highly saleable product.”

Oh, and I forsee seeing Jen Grunwald wearing this shirt at a future convention.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/skeetzjackson/beat01.jpg

I also forsee her punching me, but I'm not sure the two things are related.

Treacle
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Ew.

Generic Poster
03-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Ew.

I see you don't like boys that rock. Or being reminded of the heartbreak that occurred when Spider-Man and the Green Goblin broke up.

FuturisticPlans
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
I could be wrong, but wouldn't Tony Stark have to take his armor off before attempting to play electric guitar?

chazbot
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I see you don't like boys that rock. Or being reminded of the heartbreak that occurred when Spider-Man and the Green Goblin broke up.

All because of that hussy Gwen.

Jef UK
03-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I could be wrong, but wouldn't Tony Stark have to take his armor off before attempting to play electric guitar?

So wrong.

But I'm more interested in whether or not baby Tony Stark sports a slick baby moustache.

Supreme Convoy
03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
What woman could resist a Spidey/Green Goblin pendant?

Though I do like that shirt because it has Hulk rocking out on drums :lol:

Ray G.
03-26-2009, 11:19 AM
....Yeah, this is hilariously ridiculous. :lol:

Tom Burgos
03-26-2009, 11:26 AM
“Since our core customer has always been guys, we need to be very careful when we introduce female product so that we don’t alienate our core,” said Paul Gitter, president of consumer products, North America, for Marvel Entertainment Inc. “What we have found through testing is that we haven’t alienated them, which gives us the OK to move forward with female product.”

You found that through testing? really???

Does MARVEL think men are so stupid that they would feel alienated (and thus would stop buying their product) if the company sold more female-skewing product?

SteveFlack
03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I just would have loved to have heard the marketing product development team hashing out ideas for the Spidey-Goblin pendant.

"We need to figure out what other character to put on the Spidey charm pendant."

"How about Mary Jane? Gwen Stacy?"

"Nah, we need something more dynamic!"

"How about the Black Cat?"

"The Batman villain?"

"No, no The Black Cat. His cat burglar ex-girlfriend."

"How about the Green Goblin?"

"The middle aged man who killed his girlfriend?"

"Yeah, this will appeal to those crazy girls who wrote crazy stories on the internet."

Armored Dildo
03-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Fail.

Marcdachamp
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
The shirt with the heroes rocking out is pretty awesome. I should buy it for the girlfriend. :lol:

Tom Burgos
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I just would have loved to have heard the marketing product development team hashing out ideas for the Spidey-Goblin pendant.

"We need to figure out what other character to put on the Spidey charm pendant."

"How about Mary Jane? Gwen Stacy?"

"Nah, we need something more dynamic!"

"How about the Black Cat?"

"The Batman villain?"

"No, no The Black Cat. His cat burglar ex-girlfriend."

"How about the Green Goblin?"

"The middle aged man who killed his girlfriend?"

"Yeah, this will appeal to those crazy girls who wrote crazy stories on the internet."

Yeah, I don't have a clue as to what reasoning went behind that pendant.

“Also, anything that we can relate to current music trends does well. For instance, we have a T-shirt where all the superheroes were assembled into a band with a saying like, ‘I heart boys that rock.’”

This is another thing that amuses me. If we are talking about current trends, why would they go for rock? Check the charts of any week, any year, albums and singles for the last 5 years at least and see how hip hop, RnB outsells, outnumbers and outranks Rock consistently...

All in all, seems like a misguided endeavor.
Their intent is what...utilize their female characters to lure girls? Or is that whole "girls care more about trends than characters" thing is all so they don't have to stop using Spidey and Wolvie in their supposedly female-skewing stuff?

I think it would be cool if they used some of their huge number of strong female characters to try and get little girls and tweens interested in comics?

Treacle
03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
All in all, seems like a misguided endeavor.
Their intent is what...utilize their female characters to lure girls? Or is that whole "girls care more about trends than characters" thing is all so they don't have to stop using Spidey and Wolvie in their supposedly female-skewing stuff?

I think it would be cool if they used some of their huge number of strong female characters to try and get little girls and tweens interested in comics?

This.

Marketing directed to females tends to abysmally stupid, and Marvel, unfortunately, is just perpetuating it. I feel as if no thought went into these designs other than, "Hey, let's make them cute! Girls like cute!"

MabusRex
03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
The shirt with the heroes rocking out is pretty awesome. I should buy it for the girlfriend. :lol:

Agree about the shirt. Cute and reminds me of the kind of shirt a girl I know would wear.

FuturisticPlans
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
“Also, anything that we can relate to current music trends does well. For instance, we have a T-shirt where all the superheroes were assembled into a band with a saying like, ‘I heart boys that rock.’”

This is another thing that amuses me. If we are talking about current trends, why would they go for rock? Check the charts of any week, any year, albums and singles for the last 5 years at least and see how hip hop, RnB outsells, outnumbers and outranks Rock consistently...

I think the t-shirt is angling at the "I <3 Boys" trend more than any kind of music trend. I see a lot of shirts aimed at teenage girls that say things like "I <3 Boys who Recycle" and whatever. Which is equally silly.

But yeah, this stuff seems targeted at tween and teen girls... working solely on pop culture value with no real intention of actually getting them to start reading the books.

Patrick King
03-26-2009, 12:00 PM
This is just a natural progression of all those weird licensed products I've been seeing more and more ads for. Yesterday in one of my new comics, the back page had an issue for Spider-Man multivitamins, and I've seen ads for Marvel Heroes bottled water and kids' fishing kits. It's just getting ridiculous at this point.

FuturisticPlans
03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
This is just a natural progression of all those weird licensed products I've been seeing more and more ads for. Yesterday in one of my new comics, the back page had an issue for Spider-Man multivitamins, and I've seen ads for Marvel Heroes bottled water and kids' fishing kits. It's just getting ridiculous at this point.

I can't remember which book I saw it in... but there was an ad for Hulk and Spiderman Eau de Toilette.

"With great power comes... GREAT FRAGRANCES!"

This really happened.

TIP
03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/tiptone/3278653823_5853c9d333-1.jpg

Patrick King
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I can't remember which book I saw it in... but there was an ad for Hulk and Spiderman Eau de Toilette.

"With great power comes... GREAT FRAGRANCES!"

This really happened.
Yeah! I've been seeing that recently too. It's like... really?

TIP
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/article/958/958441/howard-the-duck-special-edition-20090302050340987-000.jpg

FuturisticPlans
03-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah! I've been seeing that recently too. It's like... really?

Fer real. Especially considering that on my list of "Superheroes I Want to Smell Like," Hulk ranks pretty darn low...

Jerome Gibbons
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't know how true that is.

Ben Rosen
03-26-2009, 12:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/tiptone/3278653823_5853c9d333-1.jpg

wow, whats that from?

Marcdachamp
03-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Agree about the shirt. Cute and reminds me of the kind of shirt a girl I know would wear.

I like Marvel's cuter small stuff. I'm a huge Superhero Squad fan, and I have a really awesome Punisher bobblehead from Universal Studios that looks straight out of Peanuts.

TIP
03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
wow, whats that from?

Old issue of Cap:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/tiptone/3278653823_5853c9d333.jpg

FuturisticPlans
03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
I like Marvel's cuter small stuff. I'm a huge Superhero Squad fan, and I have a really awesome Punisher bobblehead from Universal Studios that looks straight out of Peanuts.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm retarded for cute stuff. I wouldn't wear that particular shirt though (never mind that I'm too old), I just think that that particular graphic is a stretch.. combining the heroes, the cuteness, a band and the "I <3 Boys.." slogan.

Take away the band, switch up the lineup a little and change it to "I <3 Veterans of the Kree-Skrull War" and I would consider it.

Treacle
03-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Old issue of Cap:

I...wow...I have no words...

Evan the Shaggy
03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
"I gave you the Green Goblin because you pumpkin bombed your way into my heart."
"What does that mean?"
"No talking while you're locked in the trunk now hun."

Buk Was Right
03-26-2009, 12:58 PM
This.

Marketing directed to females tends to abysmally stupid, and Marvel, unfortunately, is just perpetuating it. I feel as if no thought went into these designs other than, "Hey, let's make them cute! Girls like cute!"

A lot of it also works.

Marvel isn't here to be a force for social change or take sides in the battle of the sexes.

Marvel is here to get paid.

Here's a big ass chunk of the population that we're not selling shit to. Let's sell shit to them. It isn't rocket science.

Evan the Shaggy
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
A lot of it also works.

Marvel isn't here to be a force for social change or take sides in the battle of the sexes.

Here's a big ass chunk of the population that we're not selling shit to. Let's sell shit to them. It isn't rocket science.

I hope they inscribe "Remember, do what you want with her then broom her fast!" on the back of the Green Goblin love pendant.

THE GREEN GOBLIN LOVE PENDANT!

.....GREEN.....GOBLIN......LOVE.....PENDANT!

Treacle
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
A lot of it also works.

No one is saying it is.

However understanding the reasoning behind something doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

maverick-99
03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2174/2434092681_80d0755500.jpg

FuturisticPlans
03-26-2009, 01:07 PM
No one is saying it is.

However understanding the reasoning behind something doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Word. I'm not ill with Marvel. In fact, I feel much more included in the world of comics now than when I started reading them in junior high.

What makes me ill is that this stuff is the norm and that it probably does work. Marvel selling lip gloss doesn't annoy me. What does annoy me is the commercial where every woman in the city loses her mind over 100 calorie cookies, or the one where every woman in an office loses her mind over shopping, or the one where every woman on the street loses her mind over shoes falling from the sky.

Evan the Shaggy
03-26-2009, 01:09 PM
"Our research has shown that girls find themselves drawn to the Goblin as he to carries a purse and a broom."

Treacle
03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Word. I'm not ill with Marvel. In fact, I feel much more included in the world of comics now than when I started reading them in junior high.

What makes me ill is that this stuff is the norm and that it probably does work. Marvel selling lip gloss doesn't annoy me. What does annoy me is the commercial where every woman in the city loses her mind over 100 calorie cookies, or the one where every woman in an office loses her mind over shopping, or the one where every woman on the street loses her mind over shoes falling from the sky.

I hate that 100 calorie cookie commercial. :-x

And I agree with you...what annoys me is how this marketing/advertising campaign reflects a general trend of dumbing things down for women.

And perhaps even worse, that lots of women go along with it. :(

FuturisticPlans
03-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I hate that 100 calorie cookie commercial. :-x

It combines our two favorite things! Chocolate and dieting! Amirite, ladies?

Buk Was Right
03-26-2009, 01:39 PM
It combines our two favorite things! Chocolate and dieting! Amirite, ladies?

Decades of Cathy comics can't be wrong!

Ben
03-26-2009, 01:41 PM
This.

Marketing directed to females tends to abysmally stupid, and Marvel, unfortunately, is just perpetuating it. I feel as if no thought went into these designs other than, "Hey, let's make them cute! Girls like cute!"Girls do like cute.

Ben
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Why is everyone assuming that's supposed to be Norman under the mask? It's obviously Harry, Peter's best friend! I'm going to buy that and give Albert the Green Goblin half.

c. page
03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
"Our research has shown that girls find themselves drawn to the Goblin as he to carries a purse and a broom."

so wrong...

but i did :lol:

FuturisticPlans
03-26-2009, 01:48 PM
so wrong...

but i did :lol:

Don't feel bad. I giggled too.

Big Coffin Hunter
03-26-2009, 01:52 PM

I don't know how true that is.

Yeah, seems like they're thinking Disney when it comes to females.

Buk Was Right
03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah, seems like they're thinking Disney when it comes to females.

And there's a company that sucks at marketing.

Wouldn't want to emulate that model, no ma'am.

Big Coffin Hunter
03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
And there's a company that sucks at marketing.

Wouldn't want to emulate that model, no ma'am.
Never said they wouldn't make any money with it. ;-)

Whip
03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Those are some ugly pendants. They'll probably make your neck green, too.

Fail.

Edit: And the lip gloss? WTF? I'll stick with L'Oreal and Rimmel, k thnx.

Auguste Miller
03-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Does Marvel get paid for this or are they doing the paying ?

emeraldsundae
03-26-2009, 05:18 PM
That t-shirt in the first post is a little bit of a rip-off of Tiny Titans.

tsk, tsk

Kman00001
03-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Old issue of Cap:

Looks like we need a Cap/Falcon pendant.

Generic Poster
03-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Why is everyone assuming that's supposed to be Norman under the mask? It's obviously Harry, Peter's best friend! I'm going to buy that and give Albert the Green Goblin half.

You sure? Albert seems more like the affable Parker-type, whereas I have you more pegged as the villainous lunatic.

Alan Mac
03-27-2009, 07:17 AM

Huge number? Really?

Marvel don't have many female characters with public recognition. It's a failing, really. The closest the have are Jean Grey (no iconic imagery, no decisive superhero name to brand her on and not much of a character outside a 25 year old comics storyline) and Storm (who does nothing but spout random cliches in every appearance outside comics).

I don't see non-comic readers suddenly wearing Black Widow, Nico Minoru or Ms Marvel designs. They just aren't iconic enough at the moment. And it's something they could, possibly should, work on if they want to move into other markets

FuturisticPlans
03-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Huge number? Really?

Marvel don't have many female characters with public recognition. It's a failing, really. The closest the have are Jean Grey (no iconic imagery, no decisive superhero name to brand her on and not much of a character outside a 25 year old comics storyline) and Storm (who does nothing but spout random cliches in every appearance outside comics).

I don't see non-comic readers suddenly wearing Black Widow, Nico Minoru or Ms Marvel designs. They just aren't iconic enough at the moment. And it's something they could, possibly should, work on if they want to move into other markets

Well, there IS a large number of strong female characters, but no... none of them are iconic in the way Spider-Man and the Hulk are. I'm all for getting Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman and Jessica Jones out there.. but they don't have decades of being in the spotlight like the guys, so it'll be a long time before any of them become icons, unfortunately.

Ashwin Pande
03-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Isn't this catering to an extremely specific niche?

LenNWallace
03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
The pendants are a big headscratcher, but I actually kinda love that shirt.