PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer and David Lynch's SURVEILLANCE (2008)

Roger
03-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Here's a creepy-ass trailer for a creepy-ass looking movie called SURVEILLANCE. This is not to be confused with the 2006 film called SURVEILLANCE, or last year's SURVEILLANCE out of Hong Kong. Wonder what 2009's or 2010's SURVEILLANCE will be about?

This is written & directed by Jennifer Lynch (BOXING HELENA), and is produced by David Lynch (her father). Not sure wazzup with an American release at this time (it'll be handled by Arclight Films).

The film stars Bill Pullman, French Stewart, Julia Ormond, the great Michael Ironside (am I the only person in the universe who thought he was a kick-ass captain in the final season of SEAQUEST?) and Cheri Oteri (the SNL girl?)

trailer here

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/surveillance/

Cactusakic
03-18-2009, 10:00 AM
This has been *available* for a while now.

I haven't succumbed yet myself, as I am hoping for a cinema release, but I'm doubtful that anywhere near me will be showing it.

Meanwhile Paul Blart gets at least a couple of weeks on at least one screen.
:nonono2:

Roger
03-18-2009, 10:05 AM
oooooo

is it supposed to be any good?

Kedd
03-18-2009, 10:07 AM
I didn't quite follow that, but I am interested in it

Cactusakic
03-18-2009, 10:12 AM
oooooo

is it supposed to be any good?

Honestly, I have no idea.
I have deliberately avoided all previews/reviews for fear of spoilers.
It's her first film since Boxing Helena IIRC and David is only involved as a producer, so it could go either way.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to it, but as I mentioned, I doubt it'll get a screening anywhere near me, so I'm either gonna have to download it or wait for DVD.

Andy Kuhn
03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
i've seen it and it's pretty good, not great. much more of a conventional thriller than BOXING HELENA. my main problem with the film is that i saw the twist coming a mile away. there are some good performances, especially pullman, that make it worth watching. i'm not sure it's worth seeing in a theater, but it is worth seeing.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
03-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Rashomon wept! ;)

Looks creepy as fuck!

Patch
03-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Meanwhile Paul Blart gets at least a couple of weeks on at least one screen.
:nonono2:

With regard to Paul Blart-- and, for that matter, Race to Witch Mountain-- I have a 5 year old and a 9 year old that want to go to the movies, too.

Cactusakic
03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
With regard to Paul Blart-- and, for that matter, Race to Witch Mountain-- I have a 5 year old and a 9 year old that want to go to the movies, too.

Fair point.
As a non-parent I have a tendency to forget to take factors like that into consideration.

It just irks me a little that the blockbuster-of-the-week, LCD comedies and chick flicks tend to get relatively wide releases on multiple screens while films like this are lucky to get a one week run on one screen with one showing per night.

In fact, since this thread started, I have checked my two local cinemas and neither one is showing the film.
It was released in the UK on March 6th, something I only found out by looking at it's IMDB page just now, because I have not seen a single piece of promotional material for it.

Patch
03-18-2009, 11:08 AM
It just irks me a little that the blockbuster-of-the-week, LCD comedies and chick flicks tend to get relatively wide releases on multiple screens while films like this are lucky to get a one week run on one screen with one showing per night.

In fact, since this thread started, I have checked my two local cinemas and neither one is showing the film.
It was released in the UK on March 6th, something I only found out by looking at it's IMDB page just now, because I have not seen a single piece of promotional material for it.

That's the way of it, isn't it? Even the art cinema here generally just shows the widely distributed art films.
I've enjoyed most of the Lynch movies I've seen (but only saw Dune and Blue Velvet at the theater) but his movies, we have to admit, are an acquired taste for a small audience.

Cactusakic
03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
That's the way of it, isn't it? Even the art cinema here generally just shows the widely distributed art films.
I've enjoyed most of the Lynch movies I've seen (but only saw Dune and Blue Velvet at the theater) but his movies, we have to admit, are an acquired taste for a small audience.

No question about that, but this isn't even his film.
Granted, that could work against it as much as for it, but at least a little advertising would have been nice.

I'm the biggest Lynch fan I know and I didn't even know this film had been released here until today, so what chance did it stand of succeeding when even those who would want to see it weren't aware that they could?

Meanwhile, there are ads for Paul Blart, Witch Mountain, Watchmen, The Knowing and I Love You, Man everywhere I turn.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-18-2009, 11:32 AM
I LOVE David Lynch!

Jennifer not so much...but I'll give this a shot.

Rosdower 3.0
03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
theatre/DVD release info. (for however accurate imdb.com is with those things)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409345/releaseinfo