PDA

View Full Version : PAD's Fallen Angel - any good?

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
03-16-2009, 08:52 AM
This week IDW is putting out one of those lil' omnibus books (a format I first discovered via Dark Horse, and *love*) collecting the first twenty one issues, in color for 25 bucks.

Now ordinarily with that type of bargain I would just buy the thing, but dough is tight. So are we talking "Hulk / X-Factor quality" Peter David or "meh, it's ok" Peter David?

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-16-2009, 09:09 AM
I read the material that began at DC Comics on a customer recommendation and was really surprised at how strong it was. I think that the DC stuff is still in their library and that they did not reprint the whole series. I'm spotty at best on the IDW series that followed, but I highly recommend the DC stuff if you are looking for something new to get into. Then you can follow it to IDW.

Pick The System!
03-16-2009, 09:14 AM
I read the material that began at DC Comics on a customer recommendation and was really surprised at how strong it was. I think that the DC stuff is still in their library and that they did not reprint the whole series. I'm spotty at best on the IDW series that followed, but I highly recommend the DC stuff if you are looking for something new to get into. Then you can follow it to IDW.

The DC Fallen Angel material is supported only by 2 tpbs. The entire run shouldn't be that hard to find in issue form and the IDW stuff takes the DC run into account, so yes it's beneficial to have read it. The IDW series is releasing an omnibus soon that you should look into buying, and that way catching up should be easy. Both are highly recommended. I also suggest you read the "Many Happy Returns" arc (David's final Supergirl arc) before reading the DC stuff - it may help shine some light on what the series was supposed to be and what is inferred countless times in the series.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
The DC Fallen Angel material is supported only by 2 tpbs. The entire run shouldn't be that hard to find in issue form and the IDW stuff takes the DC run into account, so yes it's beneficial to have read it. The IDW series is releasing an omnibus soon that you should look into buying, and that way catching up should be easy. Both are highly recommended. I also suggest you read the "Many Happy Returns" arc (David's final Supergirl arc) before reading the DC stuff - it may help shine some light on what the series was supposed to be and what is inferred countless times in the series.
Yeah, there were ties to David's Supergirl. Ties that were naturally quickly severed, but they were there in the beginning.

I don't remember if it was you or someone else who had me read it, but I read like every issue that was available all in one sitting if I remember correctly.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
03-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah, from what I hear, that DC run is lost to the ages...

Kman00001
03-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I really need to catch up on this series. I read the first year or so of the DC run and then kinda forgot about it. When the IDW series started I read the first few issues but stopped myself because I wanted to read the rest of the DC run first. Of course this is when I assumed that DC would actually reprint the issues. I really need to stop doing that.

Pick The System!
03-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Yeah, there were ties to David's Supergirl. Ties that were naturally quickly severed, but they were there in the beginning.

I don't remember if it was you or someone else who had me read it, but I read like every issue that was available all in one sitting if I remember correctly.

It was a little of me recommending it, but really Lincoln got me reading it. He said it seemed like something I'd like and man was he right. The storytelling reminds me of HERO in that there is a continuous story that really doesn't let go of you very easily.

Yeah, from what I hear, that DC run is lost to the ages...

If you're talking about Supergirl, yeah it is. But it was good stuff - violent deaths, multiple rotating cast members, crazy adventures, and other PAD stuff that you may or may not expect in a Supes book.

If it's Fallen Angel DC you speak of, those issues are out there, you just have to look a little for them.

Pick The System!
03-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I really need to catch up on this series. I read the first year or so of the DC run and then kinda forgot about it. When the IDW series started I read the first few issues but stopped myself because I wanted to read the rest of the DC run first. Of course this is when I assumed that DC would actually reprint the issues. I really need to stop doing that.

DC will really throw a monkey wrench in your collection if you don't grab the issues when they come out. I've had this happen too, so don't feel too bad. I think everybody has had this happen. :frustrat:

Kman00001
03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
DC will really throw a monkey wrench in your collection if you don't grab the issues when they come out. I've had this happen too, so don't feel too bad. I think everybody has had this happen. :frustrat:

Yeah, I really need to learn my lesson. Especially when it comes to DC collecting Peter David's work. I gave up waiting for Supergirl collections and picked up 1-25 for $1 each last year. I guess I need to let go of that hope that there will be collections of Aquaman or Young Justice also.

Pick The System!
03-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I really need to learn my lesson. Especially when it comes to DC collecting Peter David's work. I gave up waiting for Supergirl collections and picked up 1-25 for $1 each last year. I guess I need to let go of that hope that there will be collections of Aquaman or Young Justice also.

Aquaman is something me and some other folks at the shop really talk about all the time as not being supported by DC. I don't know why either. DC has a chance in reprinting that material to show readers that there is material out there that puts Aquaman up there with Namor as far as potential goes.

I think Didio said at the last con (can't remember which one it was) that he personally wanted Superboy and Young Justice tpbs, but collections was up to Bob Wayne. Bob Wayne is more interested in collecting his own material in a lackluster attempt to recapture his "glory days".

It ain't working as people don't buy his stuff. The question quickly becomes "what would be in collected form if Didio had a voice in it", but I digress...

Ashton
03-16-2009, 10:38 AM
I highly recommend this series to you, its one of my favorites. plus this summer IDW is relaunching it again so that's a good time to jump on.

ClintP
03-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I have read the first issue of the DC series to give it a try and I liked what I read. I plan to get this series in a collected format at some point. What is in this omnibus that is coming out, the DC issues or the IDW ones?

leviathan
03-16-2009, 11:55 AM
I read the entire DC run and loved it but for whatever reason lost track of the IDW run around issue 12-13. I'm definitely gonna get this omnibus to catch up on the remaining issues and the subsequent volume 2 would be nice to round it all out.

Not too sure about the move to restart the numbering again...but I'm sure the Angel crossover will bring some new readers to the book at least.

Pick The System!
03-16-2009, 02:05 PM
I have read the first issue of the DC series to give it a try and I liked what I read. I plan to get this series in a collected format at some point. What is in this omnibus that is coming out, the DC issues or the IDW ones?

The IDW stuff. The DC material is only supported in two tpbs.

Kman00001
03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
So DC collected the Sachs and Violens mini by David/Perez to tie in with their appearances at the end of DC's Fallen Angel run but never collected the Fallen Angel issues they appeared in (with covers by Perez).

And...uh...wow. Two and a half years passed before DC put out that 2nd trade. If they stick to that schedule, maybe the 3rd one will be solicited for July of this year. :Please: