PDA

View Full Version : SNL 3/14 - Tracy Morgan

silverboy
03-14-2009, 07:41 PM
God I hate Brian Fellows.

Scott F
03-14-2009, 07:46 PM
As much as I try, I really don't find Tracey Morgan funny.

19bernardo87
03-14-2009, 07:51 PM
I was planning on watching SNL completely for the first time in a long time.

I had to change the channel after the opening sketch... who writes this crap?

Scott F
03-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah the opening was terrible, but The View skit was pretty good!

silverboy
03-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Isn't that the plot of Groundhog Day?

Raphael J
03-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Astronaut Jones is good to see again.

lonesomefool
03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
You know, Kelly Clarkson might be the most "average" looking US pop star in a long time. Dont get me wrong, I find her attractive and it's refreshing to see a pop singer that doesnt look all drugged out and on the verge of death, but it is rather amazing she has been so popular without really having the standard "sex appeal".

Scotty
03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Kelly clarkson look like she's put on weight, or ya know is incubating a child.

silverboy
03-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Yeah Kelly didn't look good.

Scotty
03-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah Kelly didn't look good.

She sounded good though, I like her.

lonesomefool
03-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Tracy Morgan can be funny in small parts like on 30 Rock, but over an hour plus long show he just gets annoying.

Foolish Mortal
03-14-2009, 08:30 PM
"Fantasia". :rofl:

Kirblar
03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
That Barbie bit was awesome.

Scotty
03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Tracy morgan is horrible

Patton
03-14-2009, 08:42 PM
That Barbie bit was awesome.

I just hate how Kristen Wiig plays the exact same character every week.

Ben Rosen
03-14-2009, 08:45 PM
this has been maybe my favorite episode. so so good.

Foolish Mortal
03-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Kelly clarkson look like she's put on weight, or ya know is incubating a child.
I like her better with some weight on her. When she was skinny for awhile she looked weird to me because she has kind of a big head.

Foolish Mortal
03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
The last sketch was the funniest. :lol:

AndrewG
03-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I think last week's with the Rock was better but this one was pretty good. Two above average weeks in a row. Not bad. Favorite skit was the digital short. Look at that turd burgler!

BWC Boston
03-14-2009, 09:07 PM

I don't understand this criticism; she really doesn't. She may go to her "fast talking, rambly" well a little too often, but stuff like the Barbie skit and her Beth dancing bit, those don't rely on those crutches at all.

And if Wiig seems repetitive to you, you must've absolutely loathed Chris Farley.

Spidey616
03-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I too liked the Big Love sketch and the digital short. I'm a sucker for punns. "cereal rapist" :D

Kirblar
03-14-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't understand this criticism; she really doesn't. She may go to her "fast talking, rambly" well a little too often, but stuff like the Barbie skit and her Beth dancing bit, those don't rely on those crutches at all.

And if Wiig seems repetitive to you, you must've absolutely loathed Chris Farley.
She has multiple recurring characters that rely on the fast talking rambly shit- she's fine when not using it.

Scott F
03-14-2009, 09:37 PM

Forte, Hader, Wiig and Michaela Watkins are the best on there. Everyone else (except maybe Armisen and Sudekis) should be let go.

Japhy Ryder
03-14-2009, 09:57 PM
That was fucking horrible. It reinforces the idea that all Tracy Morgan can do is yell (often illegibly), and that yelling is very funny.

Worst episode I've seen in at least a year and a half.

Albert
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
WTF to all the Tracy Morgan haters. Appalling.

Ben Rosen
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
i could watch tracy morgan yelling anything for an hour and a half.

Albert
03-14-2009, 10:04 PM
i could watch tracy morgan yelling anything for an hour and a half.

At the very least!

Ben Rosen
03-14-2009, 10:07 PM
At the very least!

exactly! or, alternatively, the astronaut jones theme on loop.

BWC Boston
03-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Forte, Hader, Wiig and Michaela Watkins are the best on there. Everyone else (except maybe Armisen and Sudekis) should be let go.

They can't let go of Samberg, as his digital shorts are what's kept them alive and relevant in the YouTube generation.

And I actually really love Sudeikis. I don't ever see him breaking out and becoming a movie star or anything, but the guy is reliably funny and a good utility player. He's pretty much the current cast's Phil Hartman, and I expect him to get sitcom work after SNL.

Meyers has also finally come into his own as Update host. I actually wonder if the reason he was shown hanging out with Lorne during the monologue, wearing identical clothes, and sipping the same scotch, if he isn't being groomed to eventually take over as show-runner. But that's just a life-long SNL wonk taking guesses because of an odd blocking choice.

Andy Kuhn
03-14-2009, 10:16 PM
houston, we have a dog! :)

BWC Boston
03-14-2009, 10:17 PM
exactly! or, alternatively, the astronaut jones theme on loop.

He's a misunderstood genius. You should try and track down his Howard Stern appearances, if you haven't heard them. Also, it's strange that, after three years, it was weird hearing people refer to him s "Tracy MORGan" tonight.

"Astronaut Jones" is one of the my favorite things on earth. I was so happy once I saw the star field and the shitty tinfoil costume.

Japhy Ryder
03-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't hate Tracy Morgan, but it was obvious he didn't do shit for this episode. He didn't practice. He was bad on set. He had to check the tele-prompters for his lines. He had to take awkward pauses. About a fifth of the time it was impossible to understand what he was saying/yelling. He totally blew his job on SNL this week. I'm not a hater, but he really sucked on this episode. He does great work on 30 Rock and has done good SNL work in the past, but this time around he sucked.

Japhy Ryder
03-14-2009, 10:19 PM
And there's a difference between being misunderstood and being understood and rejected.

Travis M. Bierwagen
03-14-2009, 10:34 PM
I thought it was a really good episode. I wasn't really a Tracy Morgan fan until 30 Rock started.

I really liked the digital short (I'm a sucker for that punny crap!) and the fart strips commercial. :)

Plus I think Kelly Clarkson is beautiful... so there! :blurp:

glk
03-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Hader's Keith Morrison is so fucking funny.

Travis M. Bierwagen
03-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Hader's Keith Morrison is so fucking funny.

That too!

The first time he did it on SNL I was in hysterics. I couldn't believe someone else pointed out that creepy SOB besides me.

PhilipClark
03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Holy Shit. Kelly Clarkson is fucking huge.

Mattman
03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't hate Tracy Morgan, but it was obvious he didn't do shit for this episode. He didn't practice. He was bad on set. He had to check the tele-prompters for his lines. He had to take awkward pauses. About a fifth of the time it was impossible to understand what he was saying/yelling. He totally blew his job on SNL this week. I'm not a hater, but he really sucked on this episode. He does great work on 30 Rock and has done good SNL work in the past, but this time around he sucked.
I'm going to have to readjust my hater-meter.

Japhy Ryder
03-15-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm going to have to readjust my hater-meter.

:rofl:

Sorry, I wasn't hatin', I was criticizing. If I was hating on him, I would've done some sort of fanboy rant like PS3 vs. X-Box people or HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray people. I mean, hey, I watched it, I was a bit entertained, but I didn't like it much at all, and like I said:

He does great work on 30 Rock and has done good SNL work in the past, but this time around he sucked.

I was hoping for a lot more. That ep of SNL was phoned in. I'm a fan of Tracy Morgan, but his work here wasn't too good. It's just like I'm a Dylan fan, a Steve Martin fan, and a Woody Allen fan, but, man, they've all put out some crappy work.

So adjust your hater-meter please to my idiosyncrasies. (And thank you.)

Albert
03-15-2009, 02:49 AM
The Rocket Dog sketch was so great. One of my favorites in a long time.

lonesomefool
03-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Holy Shit. Kelly Clarkson is fucking huge.

Whoever dressed her also wasnt very smart, as a fellow person with few extra pounds, you dont wear super tight or super baggy clothes. That's just common sense and she had both on. Big mistake.

But she is still attractive and realistically none of us would kick her out of our beds if we were single.

Patton
03-15-2009, 04:58 AM

I was making fun of that criticism actually. Clearly Barbie is nothing like her other characters. Kirblar is one of the main proponents of that criticism, if I'm not misremembering, which is why I quoted him.

And fast talking characters is a weird grouping in my opinion. She has the Weekend Update character that keeps talking and saying "just kidding" but I don't really think Penelope talks fast at all. In fact she draws out the word "soooo" so there's no way she talks that fast.

So anyway, yeah, I was kidding. Sorry.

Patton
03-15-2009, 05:02 AM
The Rocket Dog sketch was so great. One of my favorites in a long time.

Yeah that was fantastic. That seems like a Tracy Morgan/Lonely Island collaboration. It has all the weirdness of Morgan but all the "reach for the stars!" uplifting stuff of the Lonely Island boys.

Scott F
03-15-2009, 08:34 AM
They can't let go of Samberg, as his digital shorts are what's kept them alive and relevant in the YouTube generation.

And I actually really love Sudeikis. I don't ever see him breaking out and becoming a movie star or anything, but the guy is reliably funny and a good utility player. He's pretty much the current cast's Phil Hartman, and I expect him to get sitcom work after SNL.

Meyers has also finally come into his own as Update host. I actually wonder if the reason he was shown hanging out with Lorne during the monologue, wearing identical clothes, and sipping the same scotch, if he isn't being groomed to eventually take over as show-runner. But that's just a life-long SNL wonk taking guesses because of an odd blocking choice.

I was quick to say they should sweep out all the guys, but there are a few that just aren't funny. The new hires (except Michaela Watkins) are pretty weak, especially Casey Wilson.

Patton
03-15-2009, 09:06 AM
I was quick to say they should sweep out all the guys, but there are a few that just aren't funny. The new hires (except Michaela Watkins) are pretty weak, especially Casey Wilson.

Who's Michaela Watkins? The lady that plays Barbara Walters?

Scott F
03-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Who's Michaela Watkins? The lady that plays Barbara Walters?

Yep. She plays Hoda Kotbe too!

Patton
03-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Yep. She plays Hoda Kotbe too!

Yeah I don't see her as any funnier than Casey Wilson, Abby Elliot, or Bobby Moynihan. I think all of them have potential as performers and all of them have made me laugh.

But the writing on SNL has to get stronger. And they need more of an identity. Last year was politics and they did well with that. But this year people need a break from the bad news and I think escape needs to be key. The ones that seemed to work last night were the most outlandish.

Of course it's not my responsibility to do an hour and a half variety show every week. I'm sure it ain't easy.

Patton
03-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I bet they add John Mulaney as a cast member next season. I've been seeing him in the background a lot lately.

Mylazycat
03-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Whoever dressed her also wasnt very smart, as a fellow person with few extra pounds, you dont wear super tight or super baggy clothes. That's just common sense and she had both on. Big mistake.

But she is still attractive and realistically none of us would kick her out of our beds if we were single.

Word.

I also think Casey Wilson is amazingly cute.

Not the best episode, some good bits but the Rocket Dog skit was one of the year's best.

Albert
03-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I bet they add John Mulaney as a cast member next season. I've been seeing him in the background a lot lately.

I really don't get why Jorma Taccone isn't a cast member. Seems like a waste!

daveydeadite
03-15-2009, 10:16 AM
did anyone notice that the scared straight skit, which was still pretty funnny ripped off the office not once, but twice sorta?

one, with the scared straight stuff, just like prison mike and the whole using the plot of a movie to 'tell a story' only for people to realize it's a movie.

Albert
03-15-2009, 10:17 AM
did anyone notice that the scared straight skit, which was still pretty funnny ripped off the office not once, but twice sorta?

one, with the scared straight stuff, just like prison mike and the whole using the plot of a movie to 'tell a story' only for people to realize it's a movie.

They've done it several times before. I don't remember if it pre-dates Prison Mike or not. Don't drop the soap!

Patton
03-15-2009, 11:02 AM
I really don't get why Jorma Taccone isn't a cast member. Seems like a waste!

Me either! And he seems to want to be too.

Ah well. Hopefully those guys will always make movies and albums and maybe a TV show.

BWC Boston
03-15-2009, 08:50 PM

You're not wrong. I enjoyed Forte and Kenan the first few seasons they were on, but I think they've hit that Maya Rudolph wall of just phoning it in and not really getting laughs from me. Armisen is dangerously close, too.

Casey Wilson is a toughie. Her first few episodes I seem to recall liking her (maybe just because she was cute), but I actually think she's gotten less comfortable on-air since. I like her UCB cred, but want to murder her for co-writing BRIDE WARS.

She and Moynihan I think have had more than their fair time to make an impression; time to go. Michaela Watkins, I would be shocked if they didn't promote to full regular soon. Abby Elliot gets a stay of execution for cuteness and for that killer Angelina Jolie impression.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
03-15-2009, 09:48 PM
How Long Has Saturday Night Live Sucked This Hard?

Wayno.

Foolish Mortal
03-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Wayno.

A rare appearance by the elusive WAKKAJAWAKKA!

dougmac
03-15-2009, 10:07 PM
As much as I try, I really don't find Tracey Morgan funny.

I love 30 Rock, but don't see the funny with him anywhere else.

Mylazycat
03-16-2009, 05:44 AM

Wayno.

One week.

Last week's episode with Dwayne Johnson was brilliant.

AceOfSpades
03-16-2009, 09:34 AM
The Spaceman Jones sketch was the only one I laughed to.
Even Weekend Update wasn't good and that's usually pretty solid.

Doc Randy
03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I just watched this.

Oddly enough, I thought Kelly Clarkson was probably the best performance I have seen on this show in years. Easily the best sounding mix in years.

Oh... the quiz show skit was brilliant.