PDA

View Full Version : Just finished STARMAN OMNIBUS Vol 2...

that bastard
03-13-2009, 03:04 AM
..and hell if that isn't the greatest super-hero book EVER.

I know, I know: "Where have you BEEN? We've known this FOR YEARS!"

Well...I didn't hop on it back when it was monthly simply due to financial reasons. I had a few issues and they were awesome. I picked up volume 1 when it was released and now I've read volume 2 (and already pre-ordered vol 3).

It's a love letter to the DC universe.

Screw Grant Morrison, man...They should've gotten James Robinson to 'fix' continuity.

My 2nd favorite series below SANDMAN.

Thomas Mauer
03-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Got the book in the mail on Monday along with the first Swamp Thing HC. The paper is shit, unfortunately, but I'm looking forward to digging into both books. Loved the first Starman HC.

Jim T.
03-13-2009, 04:36 AM
It really is a tremendous achievement in comics. I loved all of it and was bummed when it ended.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-13-2009, 04:46 AM
As good as you think it is now, you haven't seen anything yet. There is so much more coming your way in the series. I love that a brand new audience is getting into this!

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
03-13-2009, 05:25 AM
..and hell if that isn't the greatest super-hero book EVER.

I know, I know: "Where have you BEEN? We've known this FOR YEARS!"

Well...I didn't hop on it back when it was monthly simply due to financial reasons. I had a few issues and they were awesome. I picked up volume 1 when it was released and now I've read volume 2 (and already pre-ordered vol 3).

It's a love letter to the DC universe.

Screw Grant Morrison, man...They should've gotten James Robinson to 'fix' continuity.

My 2nd favorite series below SANDMAN.

I love hearing people say this. For too long I thought this series was going to slip into obscurity. The haphazard trades didn't help matters...but finally this series is finding it's audience. Awesome.

Also, it just gets better. True, you're going to lose Tony Harris on art but Peter Snejberg really finds his own look. He should be considered one third of Jack Knight's creators. And without spoiling anything - everything pays off. Little details will come back, characters return and it all gets wrapped up wonderfully. You're in for a helluva ride!

Roger
03-13-2009, 05:31 AM
glad to have ya on board!
better late then never

I AM GROOT!
03-13-2009, 05:35 AM
I've read this series in pamphlet format, but I've been picking up the Omnibuses as they come out. I was originally going to wait until all six volumes came out to sit down and re-read them, but seeing these threads makes me want to reconsider that. One of the best series I've personally read!

dEnny!
03-13-2009, 05:39 AM
I'm hoping to get Volume 2 by trading out my extra copy of Volume 1.

Stupendous Man
03-13-2009, 06:50 AM
I picked up the first trade a few months ago. I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to checking out this series in earnest when I can better afford the omnibi (omniboo, omnibuses? Who the hell knows). Those beauts don't come cheap.

TIP
03-13-2009, 06:53 AM
As good as you think it is now, you haven't seen anything yet. There is so much more coming your way in the series. I love that a brand new audience is getting into this!

Damn straight.

sharp1
03-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Has it been determined whether or not the Hellboy X-Over will be in here? When the series of HCs was first announced, i thought it was a certainty, then I remember reading that they were still trying to get them in.

Only tangentially related, I would dig a Hellboy trade or HC of all the Hellboy x-overs through the years. Off the top of my head, I remember Starman/Batman(duh!), Panekiller Jane, Ghost, Goon, Next Men, Savage Dragon, and probably others. I am sure I have the comics, but a nice collection of these would be cool (though possibly unfeasible because of the various rights involved.)

Criden
03-13-2009, 08:00 AM
He's doing great work on the Superman books too, right now.

cmoney
03-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm reading them for the first time in this format too, and enjoying the hell out of it. I really like how The Shade, a villain I've never really thought twice about, is being portrayed and how the book isn't afraid to detour for an issue into someone else's POV. Can't wait for book three.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm reading them for the first time in this format too, and enjoying the hell out of it. I really like how The Shade, a villain I've never really thought twice about, is being portrayed and how the book isn't afraid to detour for an issue into someone else's POV. Can't wait for book three.

Yes, this is not the character from Justice League Unlimited. The Shade is awesome, you don't even know!

Kingsumo
03-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Startman and Hitman were among the first series I read when I got back into comics a few years ago.

I absolutely loved the entire run, start to end, and even read the Shade mini that ran alongside. Full of some amazing character developments.

Michael Blacklist
03-13-2009, 11:15 AM
According to a person very involved with the book, the Hellboy crossover will be included in a future volume.

Thomas Mauer
03-13-2009, 11:19 AM
according to a person very involved with the book, the hellboy crossover will be included in a future volume.

:d

PeterSparker
03-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Got my Volume 2 in the mail last week and haven't read any of it yet. But this is my first time reading the series as well, and Vol 1 sure was great. Nice to hear it only gets better, but it's already lived up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. Good stuff.

Evan Wiener
03-13-2009, 04:13 PM
I just found a copy of the 4th issue of the Shade mini series. Finally got a chance to read all of it, and it's also wonderful. He's one of my favorite characters in comics. Robinson really developed a rich and deep supporting cast.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-13-2009, 05:03 PM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=5824161#post5824161

Pick The System!
03-13-2009, 05:10 PM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=5824161#post5824161

Ah, ok.

My fault for not checking to see if there was already a Starman HC thread. Oh well, worse things have happened in the past.