PDA

View Full Version : My TV just died!!!!

LordKinbote
03-12-2009, 05:32 PM
My fiancee and I have had a large projection screen TV ever since we moved to Nebraska (about 2.5 years). It's always had a strange problem...you would turn it on and a few minutes later (or sometimes right away) it would go on the fritz. You would have to find the sweet spot and give it a good smack, and afterwards it would usually be just fine.

Today I sat down to watch The Office, and in the middle of the show, the TV just shut off completely. I tried to turn it on again with the remote...no luck. I tried pressing the button right on the TV. Nothing. Looks like it's not getting any power whatsoever.

This is...unfortunate. We weren't looking to replace our television anytime soon, and the big screen factor was really nice.

I don't know what to do. Replace it? Call someone in to fix it? Bringing it somewhere to be fixed is probably an impossibility, especially by myself and with the vehicle I own.

I think...I'll go crawl into the fetal position now.

SpecialK
03-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Fetal position is probably a good bet for now, but call someone to fix it in the morning.

LordKinbote
03-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Fetal position is probably a good bet for now, but call someone to fix it in the morning.

I don't know if it would be worth it. What do TV repair home visits cost?

On top of it all, I rented a video game today for the first time in a couple of months. Of COURSE the TV would die today.

SpecialK
03-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't know if it would be worth it. What do TV repair home visits cost?

I'm not sure, but it seems like a waste not to try and to just get a new one.

Captain Sensation
03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
I had a dream my tv died this morning. Of course, my tv was bought back in 1994.

Patch
03-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Now's your chance to break free!

LordKinbote
03-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Now's your chance to break free!

You're right. I managed to watch the shows I was missing within the hour on the internet. I don't know why I'm even paying for cable.

I know that's not what you meant by "break free" but still. :)

Simon Bar Sinister
03-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Did you not try to get it fixed under warranty when it first started acting funny?

Most places that fix TV's that size are going to want to come and get it and take it back to their shop, and you have to pay a minimum just to have them look at it. In my area, that's around 300 bucks. Then you have to pay to have it fixed. Most of the time the total cost nowadays to get a big one fixed is a good percentage of the price of a new TV. I just went through this with a 60" Sony. It cost me 300 bucks to find out it would cost a further 900 to fix it properly.

LordKinbote
03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Did you not try to get it fixed under warranty when it first started acting funny?

Most places that fix TV's that size are going to want to come and get it and take it back to their shop, and you have to pay a minimum just to have them look at it. In my area, that's around 300 bucks. Then you have to pay to have it fixed. Most of the time the total cost nowadays to get a big one fixed is a good percentage of the price of a new TV. I just went through this with a 60" Sony. It cost me 300 bucks to find out it would cost a further 900 to fix it properly.

We bought it refurbished. Honestly, my fiancee bought it when she moved to Nebraska and I followed a few months later, and I don't even know if she ever told me whether there *was* a warranty. If so, it's certainly up now...the television is probably from the late 90s originally.

Sounds like it's about time to move to HDTV.

Simon Bar Sinister
03-12-2009, 08:03 PM
There are some great deals out there on LCD's right now. My wife and I are actively looking for something to replace our Sony. It still works, but it's time to let it go.

Jamie Coville
03-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Are you getting any blinking lights when you turn on the TV?

If so then it could just be the lamp/bulb that needs to be replaced. That may cost a couple of hundred dollars, more if you want the repair people to come out to your home and install it. For most TVs it's pretty simple to install a new lamp. There is also a possibility that something else may have gone and caused the lamp to go early (which will cause the next lamp to go early too) but if you haven't replaced the lamp in the time you've had it, most likely it's just the lamp.

If you're getting nothing it could just be the power supply.

In all, it's wouldn't hurt to call a repair center and ask. They might know exactly what it is it's a common problem with your model of TV and can give you the price for fixing it.

LordKinbote
03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Are you getting any blinking lights when you turn on the TV?

If so then it could just be the lamp/bulb that needs to be replaced. That may cost a couple of hundred dollars, more if you want the repair people to come out to your home and install it. For most TVs it's pretty simple to install a new lamp. There is also a possibility that something else may have gone and caused the lamp to go early (which will cause the next lamp to go early too) but if you haven't replaced the lamp in the time you've had it, most likely it's just the lamp.

If you're getting nothing it could just be the power supply.

In all, it's wouldn't hurt to call a repair center and ask. They might know exactly what it is it's a common problem with your model of TV and can give you the price for fixing it.

I'm getting nothing. I'm certainly going to call a place tomorrow. I have a feeling though I'll just be going the "new TV" route eventually.

Jamie Coville
03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
LCDs have been coming down in price in a big way. I do extended warranty work for 2 major electronic retail chains here in Canada and deal with the people with broken TVs. Most TVs under 50 inches are getting replaced rather than repaired.

leafinsectman
03-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm no expert but from previous experience with this sort of thing it might be better to just get a new one (depending on how much it'll cost to fix) although one time one of our tvs screwed up (picture was gone but it still turned on) it was a relatively cheap fix so we had it fixed and its still around after 14 years or so. My parents' LCD had to have the mainboard fixed but we got extended warranty with it so its all good but if we didn't have it then we probably would've just gotten a new tv. Good luck dude!