PDA

View Full Version : New FABLES spin-off

ItsDLEVY
03-12-2009, 03:15 PM
I was excited to read today that the upcoming Fables crossover includes the introduction of a third book to the Fables family, The Literals. Anyone know if this will be a miniseries or an ongoing, and who the creative team will be?

Matt O'Keefe
03-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Mini-series. 3 issues. Written by Willingham/Sturges. Drawn by Mark Buckingham. Atkins will draw Fables, Braun will draw Jack of Fables.

SAVETHEB
03-12-2009, 03:19 PM
what matt said

The Hodag
03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
When's the crossover with National Review?

trevor hale
03-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm glad it's only a mini. Fables is one of my favorites every month, but I haven't been digging Jack Of Fables too much lately.

ItsDLEVY
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm glad it's only a mini. Fables is one of my favorites every month, but I haven't been digging Jack Of Fables too much lately.

Then I'm guessing you won't like the cross-over. I, on the other hand, didn't understand the point of Jack of Fables until it started digging into the metaphysics of Fables, and I'm excited the cross-over is going to dig deeper into that well.

ForkDolphin
03-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Mini-series. 3 issues. Written by Willingham/Sturges. Drawn by Mark Buckingham. Atkins will draw Fables, Braun will draw Jack of Fables.

Is Buckingham leaving Fables?

JEK
03-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Is Buckingham leaving Fables?

no. i read somewhere he is just taking this arc' off.

by the by, i dont totally get the "Literals" thing. are they suppose to be gods. it seemed that at the end of the last fables issue that it was implied that they had made EVERYTHING that exists. am i reading this right?

Thudpucker
03-12-2009, 06:22 PM

Yea, I love Fables but don't care for JOF either. It doesn't have the same charm and epic feel as Fables.

I'm looking forward to the crossover though, sounds like some big questions will get answered.

The Crushtacean
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Am I the only one who finds it weird that they are creating a mini-series just so they can have a crossover with it? Couldn't this be done in the pages of the two monthly titles?

Bandit Chimera
03-13-2009, 03:05 AM
Yea, I love Fables but don't care for JOF either. It doesn't have the same charm and epic feel as Fables.

I'm looking forward to the crossover though, sounds like some big questions will get answered.

Is it worth trade reading though ? Jack of Fables that is. I just bought my Fiancée the entire trade run of regular Fables and we've both eating it up but were both reserved on Jack. I'm more keen on looking into Jack though because of the American Fables. so I'm wondering is it worth a read?

Bandit Chimera
03-13-2009, 04:34 PM
bump just to get an answer hopefully :)

Master Jack Rabbitt
03-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm really looking forward to the crossover. :D

Master Jack Rabbitt
03-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Is it worth trade reading though ? Jack of Fables that is. I just bought my Fiancée the entire trade run of regular Fables and we've both eating it up but were both reserved on Jack. I'm more keen on looking into Jack though because of the American Fables. so I'm wondering is it worth a read?

I think it's been a good read. There was one short arc that was lacking, but other than that I've quite enjoyed it. But, if you don't like Jack, you may not like the book. On the other hand, it does seem to be the title that leads the most into the crossover, i think.

Blane
03-13-2009, 05:12 PM
I never picked up Jack of Fables because I hate the character. I was totally glad when he left the Fables book never to return. That last arc with him in it was painful.

Thudpucker
03-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Sorry, forgot to check back on this thread til now.

I feel the same way Blane does, I don't like Jack. He's a douchebag. I have to like the a character to want to read his story, and with Jack I don't so I couldn't care less what happens to him.

For me the 1st trade was worth reading just for some of the new concepts this series introduces. Trades 2 and 3 were not, I barely even go thru them (and that's as far as I've gotten, havn'y read 4 and 5). There is something missing in JOF, a charm and wit that Fables has but JOF doesn't. Maybe it's because JOF has a co-writer? Don't know.

ItsDLEVY
03-14-2009, 09:37 AM
The arc that just wrapped up was the best one yet, I think, and probably the only one you'd need to read to be up to speed for the crossover.

Like I said earlier in the thread, JoF is more about the metaphysics of the Fables world. If you're interested in the questions brought up in this week's issue of Fables, then you'd probably enjoy at least that aspect of Jack.