PDA

View Full Version : I want to punch Alan Moore in the beard.

Jonny Z
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I've been re-reading all the League of Extraordinary Gentleman volumes in preparation for the new books coming out this year and I'm struggling mightily through The New Traveller's Almanac. Jesus Christ! this thing is denser than Zevad's head.

Thank goodness for annotations. I don't know what the hell is wrong with Moore that he's gotta write incredibly crazy shit like this in the back of his comics.

Evan the Shaggy
03-02-2009, 08:28 AM
You'd surely lose your hand to the beard.

WillieLee
03-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I hate him using all those words as well. He's like a teenager that just found a thesaurus.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-02-2009, 08:31 AM
I never even finished Black Dossier.

The Dean
03-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Like you didn't know what you were getting into when you picked up an Alan Moore story...

Jonny Z
03-02-2009, 08:33 AM
who the fuck has heard of all these Victorian era characters and stories?!?!?!?!

talk to me when he writes a 21st century Almanac where he visits Kim Kardashian's anal enclave and Ryan Seacrest's Leprachaun Farm.

The Dean
03-02-2009, 08:35 AM
who the fuck has heard of all these Victorian era characters and stories?!?!?!?!

talk to me when he writes a 21st century Almanac where he visits Kim Kardashian's anal enclave and Ryan Seacrest's Leprachaun Farm.

Ah, then you want Warren Ellis. I understand your confusion.

WillieLee
03-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Is Britain even a country anymore? Write something people might care about Mr. I Hate Movies.

Jerome Gibbons
03-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Jesus Christ! this thing is denser than Zevad's head.

:lol:

Cth
03-02-2009, 08:51 AM
http://newcomicreviews.com/unsorted/6/de9nux.jpg

Kefky
03-02-2009, 08:54 AM
If it's too smart for you, then just quit. :blah:

:)

Thommy Melanson
03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
If it's too smart for you, then just quit. :blah: :)

That applies to college courses and jobs as well.

Taxman
Excessive literary references and picture books simply don't mix. People bitch about Final Crisis being dense, but at least Morrison knew enough to stick to other comics.

Jerome Gibbons
http://newcomicreviews.com/unsorted/6/de9nux.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v24/tyrant2/GIFs/orson.gif

ManOfMiracles
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
.....and now the debate begins, could Alan Moore's beard defeat Chuck Norris' beard in beard to beard combat?

Jerome Gibbons
03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
.....and now the debate begins, could Alan Moore's beard defeat Chuck Norris' beard in beard to beard combat?

Is this a joke? Alan Moore's beard would eat Chuck Norris' beard for breakfast.

Cth
03-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Alan Moore's Beard vs. Cousin It

http://newcomicreviews.com/unsorted/6/2cysjeu.jpg

RegHorsten
03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Which beard the one under his sack or the one under his chin?

AmirLehman
03-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Which beard the one under his sack or the one under his chin?

Was that absolutely necessary?

Taxman
03-02-2009, 09:41 AM
I want to punch Alan Moore in the beard.Is it Bleck?

The Clone Ranger
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Alan Moore has opened a gateway to hell, and he's hidden it in his beard.

The Dean
03-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Alan Moore's beard once punched a hole in a cow to see who was coming down the road.

siren3-4
03-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Is this a joke? Alan Moore's beard would eat Chuck Norris' beard for breakfast.

Underneath Chuck Norris' beard there is no chin . . . there is another fist . . .

bartleby
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM
You should punch him in his beard's taint.

Ben
03-02-2009, 10:54 AM
You should put his beard's name on Watchmen movie posters.

Criden
03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
That Almanac is so great, though. Especially the last chapter. It's well worth reading prior to The Black Dossier; it definitely makes BD much clearer.

Jonny Z
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
That Almanac is so great, though. Especially the last chapter. It's well worth reading prior to The Black Dossier; it definitely makes BD much clearer.

yeah i'm not picking up BD until i trudge through this. when the first two 6 issue minis came out, i never really paid much attention to the back matter- but this time i am doing my best to read through it. blargh.

bartleby
03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Alan Moore's beard is the Watchmen of facial hair getting punched.

Criden
03-02-2009, 12:05 PM
yeah i'm not picking up BD until i trudge through this. when the first two 6 issue minis came out, i never really paid much attention to the back matter- but this time i am doing my best to read through it. blargh.

Yeah, it can feel like a chore to get through the Almanac, but you'll be really glad you did. It's well worth it. Lots of people found Black Dossier super-confusing because they were completely unfamiliar with a lot of the concepts Moore brings up for the first time in the Almanac, and then again in the Black Dossier. Having read the Almanac, you won't encounter the same confusion. Plus, there really is some great stuff towards the end of the Almanac.

Mattman
03-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Wikipedia is your friend. It gives you a lot of information on the many obscure characters featured in LOEG (especially The Black Dossier) and helps with the denseness of the reading. It you come across a character or setting that is unfamiliar to you just type it in and read about it.

Alan Moore does not write for stupid people. He is an intelligent person who expects his readers to have some degree of intelligence as well. And LOEG is very much a "British book" which means we mere Americans might not get the cultural relevance of the characters unless we delve into it ourselves (which is where my wikipedia suggestion comes into play). He's not going to hand you everything on a silver platter, but he does hand you everything you need to know if you know how to feed yourself.

Jonny Z
03-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Wikipedia is your friend. It gives you a lot of information on the many obscure characters featured in LOEG (especially The Black Dossier) and helps with the denseness of the reading. It you come across a character or setting that is unfamiliar to you just type it in and read about it.

Alan Moore does not write for stupid people. He is an intelligent person who expects his readers to have some degree of intelligence as well. And LOEG is very much a "British book" which means we mere Americans might not get the cultural relevance of the characters unless we delve into it ourselves (which is where my wikipedia suggestion comes into play). He's not going to hand you everything on a silver platter, but he does hand you everything you need to know if you know how to feed yourself.

yeah I mentioned in my first post that I've been using the annotations. The ones by Jess Nevins are fantastic

edwardmblake
03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Alan Moore's beard is the Watchmen of facial hair getting punched.

It's been a long time since I've seen one of these.

bartleby
03-02-2009, 12:22 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen one of these.

You'd figure this week there'd be a lot more.

Mattman
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM
yeah I mentioned in my first post that I've been using the annotations. The ones by Jess Nevins are fantastic
Sorry, I must have missed that.

Personally I really enjoyed doing the research as I read Black Dossier. I kind of felt like a prospector digging for gold and I got to learn a lot of stuff about stuff like Bleak House, Hugo Drummond and Billy Bunter. The 1984 allusions were really cool, and if you can actually work your way through the Jack Karouac-inspired prose section it's really some fascinating stuff.

I'm really looking forward to Vol. 3. We had Kevin O'Neil do a signing at the comic shop I work at when Black Dossier came out and even though everything he told me has pretty much been covered in that interview he gave last week at Newsarama (or was is CBR? I can't remember) it seems like such an epic undertaking and I would expecting nothing less from a writer like Moore.

Criden
03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Sorry, I must have missed that.

Personally I really enjoyed doing the research as I read Black Dossier. I kind of felt like a prospector digging for gold and I got to learn a lot of stuff about stuff like Bleak House, Hugo Drummond and Billy Bunter. The 1984 allusions were really cool, and if you can actually work your way through the Jack Karouac-inspired prose section it's really some fascinating stuff.

I'm really looking forward to Vol. 3. We had Kevin O'Neil do a signing at the comic shop I work at when Black Dossier came out and even though everything he told me has pretty much been covered in that interview he gave last week at Newsarama (or was is CBR? I can't remember) it seems like such an epic undertaking and I would expecting nothing less from a writer like Moore.

What did you think of the Almanac? I found that at least as dense (in a good way) as Black Dossier.

Mattman
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
What did you think of the Almanac? I found that at least as dense (in a good way) as Black Dossier.
It was hard to get through, I'll admit it but I liked it a lot and found it made getting through BD a little easier. The man has an incredible mind and while he expects a lot out of his readers, it's obvious that he expects even more out of himself.

Garth
03-02-2009, 05:20 PM
You'd figure this week there'd be a lot more.

It is the Watchmen of played-out jokes.

Criden
04-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Okay, I found The Blazing World (http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/newcastle/blazing/blazing.html), which is one of the focal points of The New Traveller's Almanac and The Black Dossier, for free. Click the link and enjoy.

Jonathan Callan
04-25-2009, 03:34 PM
You should probably try reading Brecht's Threepenny Opera in prep for this upcoming book.

The Zevad
04-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I've been re-reading all the League of Extraordinary Gentleman volumes in preparation for the new books coming out this year and I'm struggling mightily through The New Traveller's Almanac. Jesus Christ! this thing is denser than Zevad's head.

Thank goodness for annotations. I don't know what the hell is wrong with Moore that he's gotta write incredibly crazy shit like this in the back of his comics.

What the fuck dude?

:lol:

Et tu Pablo?! And what's this about the only bad thing about the Dominican Republic is the people. Got to say though Dominican women are the great. And freaks in the bed. I love it. Okay she was half dominican but still! :lol:

bartleby
04-25-2009, 04:43 PM
What the fuck dude?

In his defense, it did take you nearly two months to process that information and realize that he had insulted you.

The Zevad
04-25-2009, 05:08 PM
In his defense, it did take you nearly two months to process that information and realize that he had insulted you.

Bartleby I barely post on the board as it is. I only noticed this shit tonight cause I found the whole idea of punching Alan Moore in the beard amusing. Also I wasn't around when it was originally posted. I'm don't live on the board ya know? But seriously ouch.

Taxman
04-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Is beard the new taint?

Zack_Hunter
04-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I liked black dossier but I still like the second volume the most.