PDA

View Full Version : Could Watchmen have worked with...

BCD
02-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Reagan in office in the story?

It's been a while since I read it, and I'll admit to being a bit foggy on the specifics of Reagan era America. I was wondering though, could it all have worked the same with Ronnie?

BWC Boston
02-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Sure.

Nixon was mostly symbolic, and an easy way to hammer home the "alternate history" aspect of the story.

JoeE
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but having Nixon as President well into the '80s because of superheroes is one of the details that makes it so great.

MAK15
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
no.
I mean, yeah, maybe, but a big part of the story was that Nixon used the Comedian to wipe out threats to his presidency, like woodward and burnstein

Armored Dildo
02-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Nixon was less liked by both liberals and conservatives by '85.

Dark Sasha
02-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah. I mean they basically picked Nixon because everyone hated him.

Mornmist
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
That's basically what Frank Miller was doing in The Dark Knight Returns.

BWC Boston
02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
no.
I mean, yeah, maybe, but a big part of the story was that Nixon used the Comedian to wipe out threats to his presidency, like woodward and burnstein

You really think that was a "big part" of WATCHMEN?

That was window-dressing, and Nixon was used as a symbol of politcal corruption and the public's hatred of him. If the President were Reagan, a fictional character, or completely unidentified, the vast majority of WATCHMEN's plot and themes would be unchanged.

Ray G.
02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Reagan wasn't associated with corruption and repression like Nixon was.

Armored Dildo
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Reagan wasn't associated with corruption and repression like Nixon was.

Reagan was much more boring: He only helped American farmers (not that Nixon didn't) and believed if a nuke hit America, every Christian would experience the Rapture and be sent to Heaven.

MAK15
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
You really think that was a "big part" of WATCHMEN?

That was window-dressing, and Nixon was used as a symbol of politcal corruption and the public's hatred of him. If the President were Reagan, a fictional character, or completely unidentified, the vast majority of WATCHMEN's plot and themes would be unchanged.

honestly, no.

but after I typed it, i mulled over it and re-wrote it, then undid that and re-typed what I originally put in,thinking that no one was gunna quote me on it.