PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Rock and Roll Hates My Band

Gordon Chumway
02-25-2009, 03:04 PM
All of you, you're all a bunch of "yes" men! Only Paul Lucich of Maximun Rock and Roll gives it to us straight! Why didn't you tell us we were so bad?

Usually when I get something to review once and it's not that great, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, realizing that the band has room to grow and blossom. When I get something to review a second time and it's just as bad as the first, I'm less likely to be hopeful. After their first CD I was hoping they could study The Statues or The Tranzmitors and expound upon their flirtation with The Thermals-style jams.

But they didn't. They still sound like an Alt-rock Modern Machines. The Alt-rock vibe doesn't come through in the speed of the music as much as it does in the vibe of the songs.

ALSO, on their website these dudes have a video of themselves playing live with really lame choreographed dance moves. That's kinda unacceptable. It's not that I don't appreciate their flair for choreography and love of synchronized crouching, it's that their delivery and manner of doing it is pretty tacky.

Kingsumo
02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Sounds like someone forgot to slip a bribe in their demo cd.

Gordon Chumway
02-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Sounds like someone forgot to slip a bribe in their demo cd.

No, they liked our demo oddly enough. It almost seems they're mad we didn't do the homework assignment they gave us.

PhilipClark
02-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Those that can't do, review.

Ultimate Lurker
02-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Apparently, I had no clue what alt-rock sounds like. At least, if it sounds like you guys.

Oh wait, I guess it's just the 'vibe'.

Jason California
02-25-2009, 03:38 PM
What kind of dance routine did you do?

Ultimate Lurker
02-25-2009, 03:40 PM
What kind of dance routine did you do?

They squatted down to the floor for the drum solo-type part.

half guard
02-25-2009, 05:09 PM
All of you, you're all a bunch of "yes" men!

I know you're joking, but it's true and it's always been one of my biggest pet peeves about the board. Someone can post art that is undeniably bad and everyone fawns over it. Everyone is too scared of hurting everyone else's feeling.

The exception to this, of course, is that there are pros here who do the right thing and give legitimate critiques.

I'll have to dig up the MRR issue that had the review of one my old band's first 7"s (SGH - "A 7 Inch Large Mouth Don"). It wasn't the greatest, but it was positive for the most part and the guy was honest and gave a really good description of where we fell in the punk / hardcore spectrum.

WillieLee
02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
You must be good.

chazbot
02-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Sounds like he's an expert on tacky. I'd avoid sending him any more free music in the future.

xhondax
02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
That zine stop being relevant a long time ago. Right around the time they kicked Ben Weasel off his column.

King of Mars
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Choreographed dance moves?

*cough*gay*cough*

*ahem*

Sorry, had something in my throat there. Uhh...that reviewer's an idiot, Chumway...a complete idiot!

Gordon Chumway
02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I would like to point out we did no dance moves. At one point the guys take a knee during a drum solo, but there's no choreographed dancing.

WillieLee
02-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I would like to point out we did no dance moves. At one point the guys take a knee during a drum solo, but there's no choreographed dancing.

Well. I was going to buy your album but not now. I'm all for choreographed dancing.

Gordon Chumway
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Well. I was going to buy your album but not now. I'm all for choreographed dancing.

You sir are what I call a lie monger!

Jason California
02-25-2009, 08:00 PM

I was imagining some faux Insynch moves.

/(. . )/
02-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Okay, I'm going to give you my honest opinion from your myspace songs:

Hijacked. Very annoying "lead" guitars. Two chord progression is too repetitious. The chorus is nice.

Last known photograph. Sounds like an Operation Ivy song. Bass is way overpowering the guitars. This is the fault of the people who recorded and mixed the song.

Lottery. Stupid lyrics, weak bass and guitars, but not a bad song. Needs to be recorded tighter.

Wait it out. You sound like Citizen Fish getting fucked up the ass by the Hi Fives while masturbating to Rancid. Great verses, but a weak chorus with a monotonous ending.

Animal Farm. yuck.

But don't feel down about these comments. I can't stand most music, including almost everything on the radio since the mid 80s.

thatguyfromsyracuse
02-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Yeah, dude, I've been meaning to tell you, I don't really like your music. Or you for that matter. I think the world would be a better place without you or your music.

Sincerely

Me

P.S. You suck balls.

P.P.S. I love you.

thatguyfromsyracuse
02-26-2009, 04:51 AM
Okay, I'm going to give you my honest opinion from your myspace songs:

Hijacked. Very annoying "lead" guitars. Two chord progression is too repetitious. The chorus is nice.

Last known photograph. Sounds like an Operation Ivy song. Bass is way overpowering the guitars. This is the fault of the people who recorded and mixed the song.

Lottery. Stupid lyrics, weak bass and guitars, but not a bad song. Needs to be recorded tighter.

Wait it out. You sound like Citizen Fish getting fucked up the ass by the Hi Fives while masturbating to Rancid. Great verses, but a weak chorus with a monotonous ending.

Animal Farm. yuck.

But don't feel down about these comments. I can't stand most music, including almost everything on the radio since the mid 80s.

Mid 80's?

schizorabbit
02-26-2009, 04:52 AM
That zine stop being relevant a long time ago. Right around the time they kicked Ben Weasel off his column.

I didn't even know that Maximum Rock and Roll still existed. I saw those words in the thread title and got instant Eighties punk rock flashback.

TheTravis!
02-26-2009, 04:56 AM
I had always assumed that if MRR didn't like your band, you were doing something right. But that might just be the defensive posture of someone who has been in a lot of really sucky bands.

schizorabbit
02-26-2009, 05:05 AM
Mid 80's?

You know...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/schizorabbit/flockofseagulls.jpg

A Flock of Seagulls kicked ass and took names.

thatguyfromsyracuse
02-26-2009, 05:08 AM
You know...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/schizorabbit/flockofseagulls.jpg

A Flock of Seagulls kicked ass and took names.

Tell me about it! I mean, check out that cool motherfucker on the right with the sunglasses! Holy shit! Look at him! You can just tell that he's cooler than you'll ever be! Fuck! He just looks like he means business!

SgtPepper
02-26-2009, 05:09 AM
Tell me about it! I mean, check out that cool motherfucker on the right with the sunglasses! Holy shit! Look at him! You can just tell that he's cooler than you'll ever be! Fuck! He just looks like he means business!

A portrait of Aaron Rayburn as a young man.

/(. . )/
02-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Mid 80's?

I have unpopular tastes.

schizorabbit
02-26-2009, 05:20 AM

Yeah, and check out the second dude(tte) from the left!!! He looks like Starbuck. If there's ever another remake/reboot of BSG, they could just cast him to satisfy the Starbuck-is-a-man original BSG purists and the present BSG fans; he's both male and female.

Jason California
02-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Guy in Japan, what was your screen name before. It has compleltey fallen out of my brain and I can not seem to get it back. And what happened to Spidey?

schizorabbit
02-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Here's another Eighties band that put the R back in Rock 'n' Roll, the master innovators of speed metal known as

Culture Club

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/schizorabbit/culture_club.jpg

Mylazycat
02-26-2009, 05:32 AM
Everyone is too scared of hurting everyone else's feeling.

On this board? Have you seen some of the threads?

Lab-Rat
02-26-2009, 05:50 AM
If liking both Vitamin Party CDs makes me a Yes man...then all I can say is: Yes.

thatguyfromsyracuse
02-26-2009, 05:53 AM
I have unpopular tastes.

Unpopular taste, no taste. Tomato, tomahto.

gooch
02-26-2009, 06:04 AM

I gave up on MRR over 10 years ago. Even though I didn't care for 1/2 the stuff in it, I still bought it every freaking month from like 1988 to 1998.
The best part about that zine was the classified section. I got so many records and shirts through that. I remember doing auctions through mail that were advertised there. Do you think kids today could grasp that concept of do auction via mail? Sending in your bid, getting a letter back a week or 2 later letting you know if you won. Those were the days...

NickBurgess
02-26-2009, 06:08 AM
Getting bad reviews is all part of the fun of being in a band!

Jason California
02-26-2009, 06:14 AM
I know your old name now.

Garth
02-26-2009, 06:44 AM
I didn't even know that Maximum Rock and Roll still existed. I saw those words in the thread title and got instant Eighties punk rock flashback.

I preferred Shredding Paper.

PatrickA
02-26-2009, 07:21 AM
I was imagining some faux Insynch moves.

That would be awesome.

Gordon Chumway
02-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Getting bad reviews is all part of the fun of being in a band!

I can tell you honestly the review didn't bother me. We just played a great show in San Jose and sold more merch there than at any show ever.

Plus, this board has been really good to Vitamin Party.

NickBurgess
02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
I can tell you honestly the review didn't bother me. We just played a great show in San Jose and sold more merch there than at any show ever.

Plus, this board has been really good to Vitamin Party.

It must be nice selling a lot of merch! Once we got a review that was great except for when it singled out me as bad. I laughed it off but cried on the inside.

Gordon Chumway
02-26-2009, 07:33 AM
It must be nice selling a lot of merch! Once we got a review that was great except for when it singled out me as bad. I laughed it off but cried on the inside.

This was pretty easy to ignore as it didn't talk about the album in a specific way at all. He spent more time reviewing a video we didn't make or put up. (We did link to it from our website)

NickBurgess
02-26-2009, 07:38 AM
This was pretty easy to ignore as it didn't talk about the album in a specific way at all. He spent more time reviewing a video we didn't make or put up. (We did link to it from our website)

Yeah, one thing making music drives home is how weird and dumb most music reviews are.

thatguyfromsyracuse
02-26-2009, 07:40 AM

I bet /(..)/'s review made you cry!

half guard
02-26-2009, 07:54 AM
On this board? Have you seen some of the threads?

When it comes to people posting art and comic submissions, almost every thread is a circle jerk; even if the stuff posted is bad.

The only exception is that lately a few different pros have stepped in and offered critiques, but the average poster almost always goes "wow. looks great" even if the art / story looks like it was produced by a 10 year old.

WillieLee
02-26-2009, 07:55 AM
When it comes to people posting art and comic submissions, almost every thread is a circle jerk; even if the stuff posted is bad.

The only exception is that lately a few different pros have stepped in and offered critiques, but the average poster almost always goes "wow. looks great" even if the art / story looks like it was produced by a 10 year old.

Great post!

James H
02-26-2009, 08:08 AM
I know you're joking, but it's true and it's always been one of my biggest pet peeves about the board. Someone can post art that is undeniably bad and everyone fawns over it. Everyone is too scared of hurting everyone else's feeling.

*cough* Wonderman *cough*

tstrapac
02-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Your band should play with my band.

See? Look! (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=51789064)

half guard
02-26-2009, 08:17 AM
*cough* Wonderman *cough*

That wasn't art. That was a homosexual abortion.

Gordon Chumway
02-26-2009, 11:41 AM

See? Look! (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=51789064)

Let's do it, where is Riverside?

tstrapac
02-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Let's do it, where is Riverside?

So Cal.

Gordon Chumway
02-26-2009, 01:18 PM
So Cal.

We're down south in june and looking for a show June 28th.

tstrapac
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
We're down south in june and looking for a show June 28th.

We will have to setup something for when ya'll are down here. What/Where are you playing already?

Jason California
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
So Cal.

Riverside is near Yucaipa right?

tstrapac
02-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Riverside is near Yucaipa right?

30 miles.

Jason California
02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
30 miles.

Gordo you need to plan something with him. I can go up to my cousins and hit the show with him.

/(. . )/
02-27-2009, 01:54 AM

I don't get the point of having lyrics that no one can understand.

One of my favorite bands, Balzac, does this. There album sleeves have all the lyrics typed in Japanese, but the songs are mostly sung in English that can barely be understood. What's the point?

tstrapac
02-27-2009, 06:41 AM
I don't get the point of having lyrics that no one can understand.

One of my favorite bands, Balzac, does this. There album sleeves have all the lyrics typed in Japanese, but the songs are mostly sung in English that can barely be understood. What's the point?

Most people that have heard that song once or twice live get the lyrics for the chorus very easily...

Rock and Roll.

King of Mars
02-27-2009, 07:15 AM

The only exception is that lately a few different pros have stepped in and offered critiques, but the average poster almost always goes "wow. looks great" even if the art / story looks like it was produced by a 10 year old.I agree.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=32702&highlight=creators

Gordon Chumway
02-27-2009, 07:34 AM
We will have to setup something for when ya'll are down here. What/Where are you playing already?

QBonkers in the O.C. that saturday night, friday night we're in Monterey.

tstrapac
02-27-2009, 07:45 AM
QBonkers in the O.C. that saturday night, friday night we're in Monterey.

You sure the Qbonkers show is in OC?

There is a place here in Riverside called Qbonkers that started doing all ages punk/ska shows a few months ago that we frequent. I am pretty sure we could get on that show with you...

I am not aware of anyplace out in OC with the same name that does the same thing.

Gordon Chumway
02-27-2009, 08:03 AM
You sure the Qbonkers show is in OC?

There is a place here in Riverside called Qbonkers that started doing all ages punk/ska shows a few months ago that we frequent. I am pretty sure we could get on that show with you...

I am not aware of anyplace out in OC with the same name that does the same thing.

You know, that's what their myspace says. It's probably the same place. I'm not that familiar with SoCal.