PDA

View Full Version : Framing prints/pages

Joshzilla
02-20-2009, 06:09 AM
I am having some prints matted and framed today. The idea is to put them in my bathroom. Has anyone done that? Is steam from the shower an issue or are frames usually sealed enough that moisture stays out?

I appreciate any input/comments.

Kody
02-20-2009, 06:13 AM
I used to do framing for years while in college. Sadly, there isn't much you can do to keep moisture out of a frame. Even sealing the back doesn't prevent moisture from seeping in. My advice would be to avoid putting anything in the bathroom you're not able to replace. No originals, limited editions, etc.

But to prevent buckling, you can have your prints dry-mounted or wet-mounted. That will help keep them flat for longer.

Joshzilla
02-20-2009, 06:22 AM
I used to do framing for years while in college. Sadly, there isn't much you can do to keep moisture out of a frame. Even sealing the back doesn't prevent moisture from seeping in. My advice would be to avoid putting anything in the bathroom you're not able to replace. No originals, limited editions, etc.

But to prevent buckling, you can have your prints dry-mounted or wet-mounted. That will help keep them flat for longer.

Thanks for the tips!

gaspar
02-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Yeah, I've done professional framing in the past before as well, and I'd echo what Kody says from my experience. I wouldn't trust putting anything original in the bathroom. You really want art in a cool, dry environment which is just the opposite of that one. Even if you think you have a good seal, there's always a chance. I'd only hang a print that is easily replaceable there, and as Kody said, possibly dry or wet mount it.

If you have an original that you just really want displayed in the bathroom, you could always get a nice scan and print of it and frame that and keep the actual original safely stored in a portfolio elsewhere. It shouldn't cost too much to have something like that done and in the long run, you'll be much happier when the $10 Kinkos print has steam damage instead of your $500 original :)

Joshzilla
02-20-2009, 07:42 AM
The scans's a great idea!

andeparks
02-20-2009, 08:00 AM
All good tips. The wife and I own a Moebius drawing, and when we wanted to hang it in our bathroom, I made a copy to hang in its place. It's just too risky with something you love.

Anj

Gregory
02-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Get the scan in color if you can afford it. I do that with my original comic pages, so I can see the blue sketch lines.

Simon Bar Sinister
02-20-2009, 08:06 AM
We just redid our master bathroom and all of the pictures we had in there had some kind of water damage from the steam. They were all copies of the originals. You couldn't see the damage until we got them out of the frames. Have copies made.

Ben
02-20-2009, 08:14 AM
With all this talk of water damage, I'm afraid to go into my bathroom now!

SteveFlack
02-20-2009, 08:20 AM
I currently have this hanging in my bathroom.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1306/690157449_6010315d91.jpg

It's a Masters of the Universe poster I had hanging in my childhood bedroom. I think it came with Castle Greyskull. My father glued it to a piece of wood, hung it for me. I thought my parents threw it away years ago, until my mom cleaned out the basement and asked if I still wanted it.

It just looks great, especially with the aging of spending 20 years in my grandmother's basement. And it's held up really well in the bathroom, since it's just poster glued to wood.

I think it's going to follow me to every house I live in, and hang in the bathroom from now on.

half guard
02-20-2009, 09:00 AM
With all this talk of water damage, I'm afraid to go into my bathroom now!

Don't forget about toilet snakes.