PDA

View Full Version : Panini's Marvel trades

Welt
02-13-2009, 07:38 AM
In UK Panini Comics releases a lot of the Marvel stuff in fat floppy format and in trades - and on the web shops many of their trades show more pages in their trades - Secret Invasion (284 versus 248 pages) and Marvel 1985 (172 pages on the Panini trade versus 144 pages on the Marvel hardcover) for example. Does someone know what's the deal?

leviathan
02-13-2009, 07:41 AM
In UK Panini Comics releases a lot of the marvel stuff in fat floppy format and in trades - and on the web shops many of their trades show more pages in their trades - Secret Invasion and Marvel 1985 for example. Does someone know what's the deal?

Their trades do tend to be MUCH thicker than the Marvel Ones. For example, their trade of Authoritative Action had that storyline plus the arc that followed it. I don't know the reason for this though.

They tend to be pretty cheap too, btw.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
02-13-2009, 07:49 AM
It's like the difference between PAL and NTSC, Once you convert our sequential entertainment into their foreign format you end up with more pages. It's weird.

Seriously, I've always wanted to buy a few Pannini trades. I have an French Hellboy trade collecting material never traded here in the states (the Batman, Starman crossover and the Ghost crossover).

Thomas Mauer
02-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Panini has a licensing deal with Marvel and I suppose it's financially more viable for them to do the trades like this. The market determines how you package books, and if phone book size trades work, it's what happens.

I see these a lot in train stations over here.

Ultimate Lurker
02-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Do they leave the ads in?

Thomas Mauer
02-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Do they leave the ads in?

Does Marvel leave the ads in trades? ;)

Welt
02-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Their trades do tend to be MUCH thicker than the Marvel Ones. For example, their trade of Authoritative Action had that storyline plus the arc that followed it. I don't know the reason for this though.

They tend to be pretty cheap too, btw.

Well, great if the page counts are correct - still I wonder what the extra filling is on Marvel 1985 though - but more the better...

What's lamer is that a lot of the trades I buy from a UK shop, are meant to be from Titan Books, but it's the Marvel / DC / Vertigo trade with just a Titan sticker on the back - and has a slighty bigger price than the "US edition".

The Craig
02-13-2009, 08:01 AM
I was in my LCS today chatting about this very topic. They tend to look pretty ugly as trades, but the price difference with the £/$ exchange rate means that's starting to not matter - the Panini Secret Invasion came out a week later, had a number of tie ins included and was £7 cheaper.

DC and Titan in the UK have a similar thing going on, which is even more ridiculous when you realise that those ones are a lot cheaper and tend to be the DM edition with an ugly thick UK barcode sticker on the back.

Andreas
02-13-2009, 08:28 AM
It's like the difference between PAL and NTSC, Once you convert our sequential entertainment into their foreign format you end up with more pages. It's weird.

Close, but...

No, they're translated from American English into British English, which is why they end up with more pages. The trades become even bulkier in the French editions. 8)

Andreas

Roman Noodles
02-13-2009, 08:30 AM
When I hear the word Panini I instantly think:

http://users1.ml.mindenkilapja.hu/users/chowderworld/uploads/panini.gif

and: "I am not your boyfriend!"

And if you don't know why, you are a sad, sad person indeed.

Lanowar
02-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Close, but...

No, they're translated from American English into British English, which is why they end up with more pages. The trades become even bulkier in the French editions. 8)

Andreas

I got no clue where you got that from because since all we get are the British ones there still pretty much the same. They just put more stuff in the Planet Hulk one is the entire storyline plus the added stuff and the profile book. They really do bung everything in there.

Ultimate Lurker
02-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Does Marvel leave the ads in trades? ;)

Um, no. Hence the reason I asked, because OP said the Panini ones have more pages.

Thomas Mauer
02-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Um, no. Hence the reason I asked, because OP said the Panini ones have more pages.

That just means more extras, but nothing like extra artwork or whatever. There may be longer intros, editorials by others, and ads for other volumes.

The Dean
02-13-2009, 08:41 AM
When I hear the word Panini I instantly think:

http://users1.ml.mindenkilapja.hu/users/chowderworld/uploads/panini.gif

I think of sammiches.

Roman Noodles
02-13-2009, 08:41 AM
I think of sammiches.

Mmmmm . . . I could go for a panini.

Andreas
02-13-2009, 08:42 AM
I got no clue where you got that from because since all we get are the British ones there still pretty much the same. They just put more stuff in the Planet Hulk one is the entire storyline plus the added stuff and the profile book. They really do bung everything in there.

I know. ;)

Does Titan still do the occasional black and white edition? I know they did it for Alan Moore's SWAMP THING back then, and I treasure this set of paperbacks more than the coloured version.

Andreas