PDA

View Full Version : Back-up stories & Anthologies

artimoff
02-11-2009, 09:57 AM
There are so many people who are great artists that can't do 22 pages a month & so many great characters that can't hold down a title of their own, I'm suprised Marvel & DC don't do more with anthologies & back-up stories. DC has had some sucess with back-up stories in titles like Countdown to Mystery, Tales of the Unexpcted, etc. But, it seems like there could be more.

Why can't there be an 8 page She-Hulk back-up in Hulk every month by Frank Cho or a Biship back up in Cable by Joe Mad? Why isn't there a 30 page anthology with 10 pages of Ronan, 10 pages of Black Widow, & 10 pages of Elektra? that would be 3 120 page trades a year. It seems there are many characters that could have great solo adventures that couldn't sustain a book for long but could sell a trade a year. Marvel needs to remember how well MCP sold when Barry Winsor Smith did his Weapon X story.

LenNWallace
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Did the current MCP series get cancelled?

Brother Power the Gong
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Did the current MCP series get cancelled?

I think so, but they are launching a new Astonishing Tales.

Criden
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I think so, but they are launching a new Astonishing Tales.

First issue came out. It wasn't very good. At all.

artimoff
02-11-2009, 10:16 AM
First issue came out. It wasn't very good. At all.

Yes, but part of the reason is because the stories arn't going to go anywhere. No mater how clever a story is, most comic fans know that it's probabaly never going to mater to that character. Will the recent Agents of Atlas back-up with Wolverine in it ever mater to the character?

Criden
02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Yes, but part of the reason is because the stories arn't going to go anywhere. No mater how clever a story is, most comic fans know that it's probabaly never going to mater to that character. Will the recent Agents of Atlas back-up with Wolverine in it ever mater to the character?

Sure. I agree with all of that. But most of the reason it wasn't very good was the low quality.

Brother Power the Gong
02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Sure. I agree with all of that. But most of the reason it wasn't very good was the low quality.

That seems to plague anthologies post the early-70s, with some notable exceptions. And it's a shame.

NickT
02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
That seems to plague anthologies post the early-70s, with some notable exceptions. And it's a shame.
I heard a good theory on why US anthologies aren't as good/popular as in other countries. Elsewhere many writers start in anthologies, so they start small and later do longer stories. Most US writers start with 22 pages or whatever, and it's harder to go from big to small than vice versa.

And I thought Astonishing Tales was alright. Like all anthologies, it had good and bad. That's the biggest problem for anthologies IMO, the more creators you have the more likely the reader is to get stories they don't like or feature creators they don't follow, thus lowering the value for money.

Brother Power the Gong
02-11-2009, 10:30 AM
I heard a good theory on why US anthologies aren't as good/popular as in other countries. Elsewhere many writers start in anthologies, so they start small and later do longer stories. Most US writers start with 22 pages or whatever, and it's harder to go from big to small than vice versa.

Yeah, I see that.

I think the ideal anthology would be a bi-weekly book with 16-page main story and a quirky six-page back-up, both serialized with the occasional one-and-done. The book should be less than the standard comic cost ($1.50 to $2) One of the stories should feature a top-flight team.

I am Spartacus!

TheTravis!
02-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I very much need to see Marvel Fanfare make a return.

THWIP!
02-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I hated the first issue of Astonishing Tales.

Gunter
02-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I used to be a big fan of anthologies. But then it just seemed like some of them just turned into a dumping ground for stories that had been in inventory too long.

Patch
02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
There are so many people who are great artists that can't do 22 pages a month & so many great characters that can't hold down a title of their own, I'm suprised Marvel & DC don't do more with anthologies & back-up stories. DC has had some sucess with back-up stories in titles like Countdown to Mystery, Tales of the Unexpcted, etc. But, it seems like there could be more.

Why can't there be an 8 page She-Hulk back-up in Hulk every month by Frank Cho or a Biship back up in Cable by Joe Mad? Why isn't there a 30 page anthology with 10 pages of Ronan, 10 pages of Black Widow, & 10 pages of Elektra? that would be 3 120 page trades a year. It seems there are many characters that could have great solo adventures that couldn't sustain a book for long but could sell a trade a year. Marvel needs to remember how well MCP sold when Barry Winsor Smith did his Weapon X story.

Wouldn't you rather have something more substantial, like a mini or a one-shot from slower artists?
I would.

TheTravis!
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't you rather have something more substantial, like a mini or a one-shot from slower artists?
I would.

That's why I want to see Marvel Fanfare again.

Patch
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
That's why I want to see Marvel Fanfare again.

That Michael Golden Savage Land story was killer.

Brother Power the Gong
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Yep. Spidey, X-Men, Savage Land and Michael Golden = teh killa.

Patch
02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
= teh killa.

= tequila?
:)

TheTravis!
02-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Hells to the yeah.

Criden
02-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Oh, wow. I'd love to see that.

Kman00001
02-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I thought the Hickman story in Astonishing Tales was good. :cool:

Marvel's been doing various anthology stuff for a few years. I thought the Double Shot minis were cool...but yeah, I guess the stories don't really matter.

On DC's end, they shouldn't have cancelled Solo.

The best anthologies I've been reading for the past few years have been from Image. 24Seven, Popgun, Comic Book Tattoo, etc. They did get a few slow artists to contribute to them.

TheTravis!
02-11-2009, 12:01 PM

Marvel Fanfare #1-4.

Gunter
02-11-2009, 12:13 PM

It should be collected in the Marvel Fanfare tpb.

Criden
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

Jef UK
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM

That backup is an excerpt from Agents of Atlas #1.

Jef UK
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Spiderman Family, Hulk Family and X-Men: Manifest Destiny are all anthology titles.

Brother Power the Gong
02-11-2009, 12:33 PM
= tequila?
:)
Never before CoB. :no:

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

It's out of print, but it can be found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/X-MEN-IN-THE-SAVAGE-LAND-TRADE-PAPERBACK-MICHAEL-GOLDEN_W0QQitemZ390029921108QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2 0090209?IMSfp=TL090209214003r9721

There may be a newer print.

artimoff
02-12-2009, 09:29 AM
That backup is an excerpt from Agents of Atlas #1.

No, it is actually a back-up in the Agents of Atlas #1 comic.

artimoff
02-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I would.

Nope, because it would be ongoing. I'd reather have 12 pages of Hellcat by Dodson each month than a 5 issue mini-series & then nothing after that.

VonDoom
02-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I would totally be down for this - it's a good way to get introduced to new creators as well. For example, I had no idea who Matt Wagner was until I read his short story in Batman: Black and White. Now I think he's pretty swell, so, you know, whatever.

Ben
02-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Nope, because it would be ongoing. I'd reather have 12 pages of Hellcat by Dodson each month than a 5 issue mini-series & then nothing after that.
I would rather have the miniseries.

Jef UK
02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
No, it is actually a back-up in the Agents of Atlas #1 comic.

I think I conked out while reading that one and just sort of saw it in there. :)