PDA

View Full Version : So...why did the Haunt promo say that McFarlane is back....

DaveCummings
02-06-2009, 04:44 PM
When he isn't even drawing the thing?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19908

Pretty much he's inking over pages that are layed out by Capullo and drawn by Ottley. But, how exactly is he back, when he's doing pretty much what he's doing on Spawn at the moment?

I don't want to sound negative about it. But the promo image is just annoying as hell because if they say that he's back, people are going to think that he's drawing the whole thing...which isn't the case. Kinda misleading.

Jason California
02-06-2009, 04:57 PM
He is inking the book? That means he is doing something and technincly back. I think he is a much better inker than penciler so am fine with this. You can have guys that are better artists and then Todd can go put his "style" on top of it.

Andrew
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
When he isn't even drawing the thing?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19908

Pretty much he's inking over pages that are layed out by Capullo and drawn by Ottley. But, how exactly is he back, when he's doing pretty much what he's doing on Spawn at the moment?

I don't want to sound negative about it. But the promo image is just annoying as hell because if they say that he's back, people are going to think that he's drawing the whole thing...which isn't the case. Kinda misleading.

They're purposely being misleading to sell the damn thing, obviously.

This does bring to question though, how much an actual McFarlane-drawn book would sell these days. Apparently he still has quite a few fans.

DaveCummings
02-06-2009, 05:00 PM
He is inking the book? That means he is doing something and technincly back. I think he is a much better inker than penciler so am fine with this. You can someones that are better artists and then Todd can go put his "style" on top of it.

Well, he's inking Spawn for the past few months. So, wouldn't he already have been back?

Andrew
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, he's inking Spawn for the past few months. So, wouldn't he already have been back?

Exactly. So like I said, they're purposely being misleading in order to sell it.

Now someone can come out and be like, "but he's doing covers too!" but that doesn't cut it either, since McFarlane's done some Spawn covers in the last few years as well (issue 150 comes to mind).

Jason California
02-06-2009, 05:02 PM

But this was the book that came out of Kirkman sandbagging Todd at one of those Cons last year or so. This is also a #1. From a marketing perspective it makes a lot of sense to use that tag.

Jason California
02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Exactly. So like I said, they're purposely being misleading in order to sell it.

Now someone can come out and be like, "but he's doing covers too!" but that doesn't cut it either, since McFarlane's done some Spawn covers in the last few years as well (issue 150 comes to mind).

I think it was just that 150 and 100. I don't think Todd had anything to do with the art on the book besides those for a long time. Cover art is still cover art.

Armored Dildo
02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
But this was the book that came out of Kirkman sandbagging Todd at one of those Cons last year or so. This is also a #1. From a marketing perspective it makes a lot of sense to use that tag.

That's fine, but it's still misleading. I don't follow McFarlane's work and I saw the previous Haunt thread and I thought he was penciling and/or writing that.

A.Huerta
02-06-2009, 05:07 PM
My man, Ottley. Good for him.

Jason California
02-06-2009, 05:10 PM
That's fine, but it's still misleading. I don't follow McFarlane's work and I saw the previous Haunt thread and I thought he was penciling and/or writing that.

Don't forget the covers! He is penciling those!

DaveCummings
02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
My man, Ottley. Good for him.

I'm glad for Ottley as well. Though, I am worried how Todd's inks might mesh with his work. His work is a nice clean style that might not mesh well with Todd's grittier inks. It might look badass though. But, it might clash. You know, it'd be like if they had Dave Johnson or Cully Hamner's work inked by Todd. It might just look really off.

John Drake
02-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I just hope this doesn't mean Ottley's off Invincible.

Jason California
02-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm glad for Ottley as well. Though, I am worried how Todd's inks might mesh with his work. His work is a nice clean style that might not mesh well with Todd's grittier inks. It might look badass though. But, it might clash. You know, it'd be like if they had Dave Johnson or Cully Hamner's work inked by Todd. It might just look really off.

I think Otley style is clean enough that Todds stuff can go on it with minimal problems. In fact Todd might overpower Otleys looks since Otley line work is so minimal compared to what Todd puts on a page.

DaveCummings
02-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Here's a page comparison from the article.

This is Ryan's Pencils

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1233968330.jpg

And Todd's inks over Ryan's Pencils

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1233968344.jpg

Criden
02-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I like the pencils a lot better than the inks.

Ashwin Pande
02-06-2009, 05:48 PM

Ditto.

Captain Sensation
02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Is it just me, or does it look like Atom Eve became a cig smoking hooker?

John Drake
02-06-2009, 06:07 PM

A-yup.

Fake Pat
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Same here.

This thing sounds/looks worse and worse the more I read/see.

A.Huerta
02-06-2009, 07:23 PM
http://ryanottley.com/images/covers/HauntINK.jpg

http://ryanottley.com/images/covers/HauntpinupINK.jpg

Sick. From the Image Board

Jason California
02-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks a lot guys, now all I see is jizz all over the place.

jugglersdespair
02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
I just hope this doesn't mean Ottley's off Invincible.

Fortunately, according to his own website he's still penciling Invincible.

http://www.unclewya.com/

markgrayson
02-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Fortunately, according to his own website he's still penciling Invincible.

http://www.unclewya.com/

So Invincible goes back to being delayed.:sad:

A.Huerta
02-06-2009, 08:44 PM
So Invincible goes back to being delayed.:sad:

I dont think so. Inking is the slower process of the crafts and since ryan does loose pencils, he should be busting out pages quick.

markgrayson
02-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I dont think so. Inking is the slower process of the crafts and since ryan does loose pencils, he should be busting out pages quick.

Whew! Now I can put away my inhaler. :lol:

And that was some awesome stuff you posted in the Darkhawk thread.

Donal DeLay
02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
I kind of like the inks.

One thing's for sure, though. Ottley is going to become a storytelling MONSTER when he's done with this book from working off Capullo's layouts and notes.

However, I will not be buying this book in singles or TPBs. Good luck to him, though. I hope it does well.

Donal DeLay
02-06-2009, 08:58 PM

On this book, it probably works best for him. McFarlane is going to add whatever detail/tics he wants to the inks so tight pencils are a waste of time. Just getting the major style information down would be my main concern.

UltimateQuintessa
02-06-2009, 08:58 PM
This disappoints me because I want Todd drawing. But I guess in the very least, I'll get some Todd Drawn Spawn in five years once the latest Image Xover is done.

Jason California
02-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Plus he won't be doing the layouts. Seems like they have a good 3 man assembly line on this one.

Dr. Chaos
02-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Wasn't interested in this before, I'm getting less and less interested as time goes by but Ottley...Hmm.

Just might give the first issue a shot now.

TonyFleecs
02-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I think, if you ignore the dumb photo-shop stuff, the inks are pretty cool.

I've always liked Todd's inks though.

UltimateQuintessa
02-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Yeah because Invincible has been making shipping dates so awesomely recently.:no:

A.Huerta
02-06-2009, 09:36 PM
They always catch up anyways. Just have to get in the groove again.

Big Poot!
02-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Inks look awesome, plus the Invincible team? Must read.

DaveCummings
02-07-2009, 04:47 AM
Inks look awesome, plus the Invincible team? Must read.

yeah, I'll definitely check it out, because Invincible is one of my favorite books.

BenitoCereno
02-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah because Invincible has been making shipping dates so awesomely recently.:no:

You are full of shit.

9/11 INVINCIBLE #52
10/01 INVINCIBLE #53
10/22 INVINCIBLE #54
11/19 INVINCIBLE #55
12/10 INVINCIBLE #56
12/24 INVINCIBLE #57
1/14 INVINCIBLE #58

The book has shipped seven issues in four months.

markgrayson
02-07-2009, 10:46 AM

You're kidding, right?

Because Invincible has been monthly since August, I think. And some months had two issues released.

EDIT: Okay, consistent since September.

Boris the Blade
02-07-2009, 10:49 AM
You are full of shit.

9/11 INVINCIBLE #52
10/01 INVINCIBLE #53
10/22 INVINCIBLE #54
11/19 INVINCIBLE #55
12/10 INVINCIBLE #56
12/24 INVINCIBLE #57
1/14 INVINCIBLE #58

The book has shipped seven issues in four months.
They can't even get a monthly book out correctly! You're supposed to release -one- issue a month, not -two-. They suck!

Allgold
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
http://ryanottley.com/images/covers/HauntINK.jpg

http://ryanottley.com/images/covers/HauntpinupINK.jpg

Sick. From the Image Board

Both of these are awesome. Far and away better than McFarlane's promo piece. And McFarlane's inks look terrible over those pencils. He's a decent enough inker, but not over that particular style. Those pencils need a "slicker" inker. Seems odd to me that Capullo would do the layouts when he could just pretty much do them a little tighter and have McFarlane ink from those since their styles mesh a whole lot better than the having the three of them working together.

And that promo piece he did looks like he just lightboxed a Spidey pic, and just kinda went through the motions. Should have re-done that leg, looks terrible.

Kurt Russell Crowe
02-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Ottley is so damn good.

Ashwin Pande
02-07-2009, 12:26 PM
There's a lot of jizz on those pages.

Masculine Todd
02-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Kirkman and Ottley. Of course I'm picking it up. It's a tad disappointing to hear McFarlane won't be the penciler, but Ryan is fantastic.

JamesV
02-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Everytime I look at his face, I get lost where the mask ends/what is face/what is not.

It's damn irritating.