PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL NFL offseason 2009 thread!

Pages : [1] 2

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaa news:

Patriots place franchise tag on Matt Cassel, thereby giving a quarter of their cap space over to QBs:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/05/cassel.ap/index.html?eref=T1

Todd Haley hired as new Chiefs head coach:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/06/haley.chiefs/index.html
(Honestly, this has been the least-talked-about coaching change of the year. Did the Chiefs even follow the Rooney Rule?)

The Houston Texans reportedly had players participating in contact drills during minicamp, where it is forbidden:
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/nfl_tracker/posts/47701-report-texans-minicap-contact-drills-were-illegal?eref=fromSI

And of course, there's the rumor that Ray Lewis could go to the Cowboys. Because, obviously, they don't have enough blowhards on that team.

And now, humor:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/ECKoolAid/lolsports/bitch-stole-my-cadillac.jpg

Marc Lombardi
02-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Afroloq beat you to it yesterday. I knew something didn't feel right about that thread. :lol:

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Afroloq beat you to it yesterday. I knew something didn't feel right about that thread. :lol:

What?

HE WILL TASTE MY VENGEANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Never mind, it doesn't count. It's not the "Post Season."

The postseason is the playoffs.

It's the offseason.

May afroloq continue to grow in his football knowledge.

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 06:53 AM
This just hit me: I can't believe Leftwich has a Super Bowl ring now.

Oh well, he actually looked decent when he subbed for Roethlisberger in the Redskins game. :lol:

Anquan Boldin is saying his return to the Cardinals is not likely. Possible trade destinations: Jacksonville (he went to FSU and the Jags need a good receiver that is worth the money), Chicago, New York Giants (losing Amani and probably Plaxico), Cincinatti (although I don't know what their cap looks like offhand).

markgrayson
02-06-2009, 06:58 AM
This just hit me: I can't believe Leftwich has a Super Bowl ring now.

Oh well, he actually looked decent when he subbed for Roethlisberger in the Redskins game. :lol:

Anquan Boldin is saying his return to the Cardinals is not likely. Possible trade destinations: Jacksonville (he went to FSU and the Jags need a good receiver that is worth the money), Chicago, New York Giants (losing Amani and probably Plaxico), Cincinatti (although I don't know what their cap looks like offhand).

WHOA!!

Now we just need a quarterback. And a d-line to hold the lead. :lol:

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 07:00 AM
WHOA!!

Now we just need a quarterback. And a d-line to hold the lead. :lol:

That's just me guessing, not an actual analyst saying something. I'm just going by who has a need and what kind of cap space there is.

Jew Mafia
02-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaa news:

Patriots place franchise tag on Matt Cassel, thereby giving a quarter of their cap space over to QBs:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/05/cassel.ap/index.html?eref=T1

Todd Haley hired as new Chiefs head coach:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/06/haley.chiefs/index.html
(Honestly, this has been the least-talked-about coaching change of the year. Did the Chiefs even follow the Rooney Rule?)

Yes, they did.

John Wooten said he didn’t know how the rumor started, but the notion that the Chiefs aren’t interviewing minority candidates to replace Herm Edwards is incorrect.

Wooten is the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, an organization that promotes NFL teams providing equal opportunities to minority candidates. Wooten said Thursday that he knows the Chiefs have interviewed at least one black coach.

Jew Mafia
02-06-2009, 07:03 AM
double post

markgrayson
02-06-2009, 07:05 AM
That's just me guessing, not an actual analyst saying something. I'm just going by who has a need and what kind of cap space there is.

Damnit! Why'd you have to that!?:-x

Marc Lombardi
02-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Don't forget the rumors that T.J. Houshmanzadeh wants to sign with the Eagles or Bears.

markgrayson
02-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Don't forget the rumors that T.J. Houshmanzadeh wants to sign with the Eagles or Bears.

But I'm sure he wants to go to a winner.

Eagles it is!

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 08:52 AM
What's the over-under on da Bears letting the Sex Bomb go this year?

Kingsumo
02-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Has there been any word on if Gruden will be coaching in 09, or is he taking a year off like the others seem to be doing?

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Has there been any word on if Gruden will be coaching in 09, or is he taking a year off like the others seem to be doing?

Unless someone else gets fired, he'll be taking the year off.

Kingsumo
02-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Unless someone else gets fired, he'll be taking the year off.

One would hope most of the coaching staff who were going to be fired would have been by now.

Not that it matters much, it was just a curiosity factor. Seeing where Shanahan pops up in '10 is the one that really has my interest.

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 09:06 AM
One would hope most of the coaching staff who were going to be fired would have been by now.

Not that it matters much, it was just a curiosity factor. Seeing where Shanahan pops up in '10 is the one that really has my interest.

Yeah, if you're a coach this coming year you want to be successful, at least reasonably. Even still, any owner can bring in a Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren, or Billick in 2010 to give a shot in the arm to any franchise.

Kingsumo
02-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah, if you're a coach this coming year you want to be successful, at least reasonably. Even still, any owner can bring in a Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren, or Billick in 2010 to give a shot in the arm to any franchise.

Yeah, but a lot of franchises can really use the help.

Sure, Denver may not have had the best year, but 8 and 8 still beat a lot of teams in the league.. And all four of those names would be a huge draw in and of themselves.

Hell, I would honestly love to see what they could do with a team like the Lions, or the Rams.

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Hell, I would honestly love to see what they could do with a team like the Lions, or the Rams.

True, but both of those teams are already essentially paying two head coaches (the one they fired and the one they just hired). They wouldn't make another change after just a year.

Cowher is going to head to someplace in the Southeast. Carolina is a good bet, but so is (crossing my fingers here) Jacksonville, as well as Dallas and Houston.

Holmgren will probably stay in the west, and likely take a GM position with a team.

Shanahan's the wild card, the one that could go anywhere. Dallas, Chicago, Houston, Minnesota, New Orleans, Carolina, Jax, Oakland, Cincinatti, are all places that he could head, and are all likely to make a coaching change if they don't have a successful season next year.

And I forgot about Schottenheimer. He's another big one that's waiting in the wings.

Kingsumo
02-06-2009, 09:57 AM
True, but both of those teams are already essentially paying two head coaches (the one they fired and the one they just hired). They wouldn't make another change after just a year.

Cowher is going to head to someplace in the Southeast. Carolina is a good bet, but so is (crossing my fingers here) Jacksonville, as well as Dallas and Houston.

Holmgren will probably stay in the west, and likely take a GM position with a team.

Shanahan's the wild card, the one that could go anywhere. Dallas, Chicago, Houston, Minnesota, New Orleans, Carolina, Jax, Oakland, Cincinatti, are all places that he could head, and are all likely to make a coaching change if they don't have a successful season next year.

And I forgot about Schottenheimer. He's another big one that's waiting in the wings.

Hm. That is a very solid assessment across the board. Interesting to see ho close you are to the mark with Cowher as well.

Didn't Mangini get let go as well, or has he already settled in somewhere?

Ryudo
02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Hm. That is a very solid assessment across the board. Interesting to see ho close you are to the mark with Cowher as well.

Didn't Mangini get let go as well, or has he already settled in somewhere?

He was jobless for all of a week - he's the head coach of the Browns now.

Kingsumo
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
He was jobless for all of a week - he's the head coach of the Browns now.

Huh, I must have completely missed all of that then.

Should be interesting to see what he does with the Browns. For the last few seasons the seem to give off the impression that they are short of being decent team. Maybe he can give them that spark.

Ryudo
02-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Current rumors are that Mike Martz is being courted to run the offense of the Cardinals.

Not sure how I feel about that.

And for anyone who cares, the NFC won the Pro Bowl, 30-21.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/08/pro.bowl.recap.ap/index.html

Kingsumo
02-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Current rumors are that Mike Martz is being courted to run the offense of the Cardinals.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/08/pro.bowl.recap.ap/index.html

:-x

Stupid NFC.

Good to see Fitzgerald get the MVP though. He is damn impressive to watch

Ryudo
02-09-2009, 10:12 AM
:-x

Stupid NFC.

Good to see Fitzgerald get the MVP though. He is damn impressive to watch

Yeah, and he is one of the reasons why I am not sure about bringing Martz in to run the offense at Arizona.

Fitzgerald is a very different receiver from guys like Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. The receivers in STL in the Super Bowl era were very much run your butt down the field and catch it guys, beating the corners with their speed. The receivers in AZ now are more big-body types with speed. Yes, they can beat the corner, but some of the best plays they have are when they get yards after the catch, breaking a couple of tackles that would have gotten other guys. Martz didn't use Calvin Johnson very much in that fashion in Detroit, and last year SF had very much a sling-it-and-pray offense, which while I don't doubt Warner's ability in the slightest, makes me wonder if Martz will be as effective as an OC now as he was in the past.

But then again, it's a total rumor, so we'll have to see what happens.

Kingsumo
02-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah, and he is one of the reasons why I am not sure about bringing Martz in to run the offense at Arizona.

Fitzgerald is a very different receiver from guys like Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. The receivers in STL in the Super Bowl era were very much run your butt down the field and catch it guys, beating the corners with their speed. The receivers in AZ now are more big-body types with speed. Yes, they can beat the corner, but some of the best plays they have are when they get yards after the catch, breaking a couple of tackles that would have gotten other guys. Martz didn't use Calvin Johnson very much in that fashion in Detroit, and last year SF had very much a sling-it-and-pray offense, which while I don't doubt Warner's ability in the slightest, makes me wonder if Martz will be as effective as an OC now as he was in the past.

But then again, it's a total rumor, so we'll have to see what happens.

I can see how that would be problematic. Gotta play to your strengths .

I am surprised AZ is looking for a new OC though, given how far the current lineup took them this year, you would think you would want to give them another go to really polish it up.

Ryudo
02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I can see how that would be problematic. Gotta play to your strengths .

I am surprised AZ is looking for a new OC though, given how far the current lineup took them this year, you would think you would want to give them another go to really polish it up.

Their OC from this past year, Todd Haley, is now the head coach of the Chiefs.

So that's kinda impossible. ;)

Kingsumo
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Their OC from this past year, Todd Haley, is now the head coach of the Chiefs.

So that's kinda impossible. ;)

Heh, yeah I suppose there would be a little conflict of interest :)

Good for him. Not a fan of KC at all, but lord knows they can use all the help they can get.

Ryudo
02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Heh, yeah I suppose there would be a little conflict of interest :)

Good for him. Not a fan of KC at all, but lord knows they can use all the help they can get.

I think they are gonna be one of the surprise teams next year.

Herm Edwards is a great football mind, and they were purposely rebuilding, plus they had injuries to two QBs and at least two guys on their offensive line. If Pioli doesn't make too many changes, they will have a solid core of young guys.

Kingsumo
02-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I think they are gonna be one of the surprise teams next year.

Herm Edwards is a great football mind, and they were purposely rebuilding, plus they had injuries to two QBs and at least two guys on their offensive line. If Pioli doesn't make too many changes, they will have a solid core of young guys.

It could only be to the good. AFC West has been a notably lacking division for some time now.

ArttyG12
02-09-2009, 10:42 AM
If Pioli doesn't make too many changes, they will have a solid core of young guys.

Pioli has a decent track record (ok, amazing track record). Even if he makes a lot of changes, gotta think the team is in good hands.

RickLM
02-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Martz and Warner put up some great numbers back in the day. But hasn't Martz burned lots of bridges? He seems to leave on bad terms and I've heard he has quite the ego.

Ryudo
02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Martz and Warner put up some great numbers back in the day. But hasn't Martz burned lots of bridges? He seems to leave on bad terms and I've heard he has quite the ego.

Yes, but he got fired by St. Louis after Warner had already left, so you would think that those two are okay. As for the ego, I'm not sure. But there's probably a reason he hasn't come up as a big name for any head coaching vacancies recently.

RickLM
02-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes, but he got fired by St. Louis after Warner had already left, so you would think that those two are okay. As for the ego, I'm not sure. But there's probably a reason he hasn't come up as a big name for any head coaching vacancies recently.

He did a pretty good job in Detroit. Kitna's numbers in 2007 were impressive. But I think a lot of the players really were fed up with his style.

Brewtown Andy
02-10-2009, 08:42 AM
What's the over-under on da Bears letting the Sex Bomb go this year?Sex CANNON. :D

Also:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/ECKoolAid/lolsports/peyton-wildcat.jpg

Ryudo
02-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Sex CANNON. :D

Also:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/ECKoolAid/lolsports/peyton-wildcat.jpg

Now I'm really hoping that NFLN reruns this game. :lol:

Ultimate Lurker
02-13-2009, 04:56 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-02-12-roger-goodell_N.htm

Brewtown Andy
02-13-2009, 05:00 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-02-12-roger-goodell_N.htmBud Selig, please pick up the white courtesy phone. Bud Selig, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Ryudo
02-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Getting multiple reports that the San Francisco 49ers are interested in Mike Vick.

Jags released Freddy T (*sniff!*) and the Broncos released Dre Bly.

Daunte Culpepper will be remaining with the Lions next season, but has restructured his contract.

Ultimate Lurker
02-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Getting multiple reports that the San Francisco 49ers are interested in Mike Vick.

:rollout:

Roman Noodles
02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Poor Deuce McCallister was released yesterday by the Saints.

He had a good run, he was pretty much the face of the franchise for awhile there. Hope he lands on his feet elsewhere. But it makes me wonder if this means the Saints think that Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush are strong enough RBs to keep a good running game, and that scares me.

Maybe RB is something they'll address in the draft.

Kingsumo
02-18-2009, 03:51 PM

Jags released Freddy T (*sniff!*) and the Broncos released Dre Bly.

Daunte Culpepper will be remaining with the Lions next season, but has restructured his contract.

That is on top of 6 others that were cut earlier

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8843

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos on Monday announced the release of the following six players: John Engelberger, Nate Jackson, Niko Koutouvides, Marquand Manuel, DeWayne Robertson and Jamie Winborn.

Engelberger started six games for the Broncos in 2008, recording 51 tackles, and had spent the previous three seasons with the club. He began his career with the San Francisco 49ers.

2008 was Jackson's fifth year in the NFL, having spent every season with the Broncos. He started three games in place of the injured Tony Scheffler and caught 11 passes before being placed on injured reserve on November 20.

Koutouvides was a first-year Bronco after spending four seasons with the Seattle Seahawks. He saw action in 14 games in 2008, playing mostly on special teams.

Manuel was also a first-year Bronco after having played for the Bengals, Seahawks, Packers and Panthers. He started 14 games at strong safety for the Broncos in 2008.

Robertson joined the Broncos via trade with the New York Jets on April 24, 2008 and started 15 games at defensive tackle. He spent the first five years of his career with New York.

2008 marked Winborn's eighth year in the league and second with the Broncos. He started 11 games at linebacker after Boss Bailey suffered a season-ending injury.

Whole lot of house cleaning

TV Zombie
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted in here:

NFL Combine Coverage on the NFL Network

All times listed are Eastern.

Saturday, Feb. 21
ALL DAY — NFL.com: Exclusive daily video clips available.

11 a.m. — NFL.com LIVE: Five live streams from workouts and press conferences available.

11 a.m. — Workouts: Kickers, offensive linemen and tight ends

(Encores in its entirety at 4 p.m., with cut-down versions at 8 p.m. & 11 p.m.)

2 p.m. — NFL Scouting Combine Press Conferences

7 p.m. — NFL Total Access from the Scouting Combine
(Encore at 10 p.m. and 1 a.m.)

Sunday, Feb. 22

11 a.m. — NFL.com LIVE: Five live streams from workouts and press conferences available.

11 a.m. — Workouts: Quarterbacks, wide receivers, running backs

2 p.m. — NFL Scouting Combine Press Conferences

(Encore at 10 p.m. and 1 a.m.)

Monday, Feb. 23
ALL DAY — NFL.com: Exclusive daily video clips available

11 a.m. — Workouts: Linebackers, defensive linemen

(Encores at 10 p.m. and 1 a.m.)

Tuesday, Feb. 24

11 a.m. — Workouts: Defensive backs

divinus
02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Got Gross signed, Pep franchised. Thankfully. Now all we need to do is trade Peppers for a few draft picks so as to re-fortify the defensive line.

And by "re-fortify", I mean, "make one in the first place."

Wigner's Friend
02-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Got Gross signed, Pep franchised. Thankfully. Now all we need to do is trade Peppers for a few draft picks so as to re-fortify the defensive line.

And by "re-fortify", I mean, "make one in the first place."

Too bad this draft is so weak on the defensive line. BJ Raji and Peria Jerry are the only tackles worth of the first round while the top defensive ends Brian Orakpo and Everette Brown are undersized. Maybe you could get Tyson Jackson, Fili Moala, Sen’Derrick Marks, or Michael Johnson in the 2nd round; but it'll be a far cry from the Peppers/Rucker/Buckner/Jenkins line that dominated a few years back.

King of Mars
02-19-2009, 12:28 PM

And by "re-fortify", I mean, "make one in the first place."Peppers will be a Cowboy next year. I love seeing Dallas mortgage the future because Jerry Jones thinks his team is just a player or two away from winning a championship.

:lol:

Wigner's Friend
02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Peppers will be a Cowboy next year. I love seeing Dallas mortgage the future because Jerry Jones thinks his team is a just player or two away from winning a championship.

Though he physically could do it, I don't think a 3-4 utilizes Peppers very well.

divinus
02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Peppers will be a Cowboy next year. I love seeing Dallas mortgage the future because Jerry Jones thinks his team is a just player or two away from winning a championship.

His having a Star would morph my annoyance at his laziness to full-blown hatred.

divinus
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Too bad this draft is so weak on the defensive line. BJ Raji and Peria Jerry are the only tackles worth of the first round while the top defensive ends Brian Orakpo and Everette Brown are undersized. Maybe you could get Tyson Jackson, Fili Moala, Sen’Derrick Marks, or Michael Johnson in the 2nd round; but it'll be a far cry from the Peppers/Rucker/Buckner/Jenkins line that dominated a few years back.

We have a decent pass rushing DT and a decent run-stopper, both acquired through FA in the last couple years or so, but yeah, I'm not feeling so hot about this year's draft class. I'm hoping for Rocky Bernard and maybe Babinaeux from Atlanta, if he's available.

I've considered Orakpo, but I've heard he takes plays off just like Peppers in college. As such, I'm not...real thrilled about the idea. But we'll see.

I was raging incensed at our drafting of Stewart, and I may...have been off on that one.::Oops:

c. page
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM

as long as he's not a cardinal or 49er, i'm happy.

divinus
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
as long as he's not a cardinal or 49er, i'm happy.

I...could live with him being a 49er, actually. I don't know that he'd fit their defense, however.

half guard
02-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Poor Deuce McCallister was released yesterday by the Saints.

He had a good run, he was pretty much the face of the franchise for awhile there. Hope he lands on his feet elsewhere. But it makes me wonder if this means the Saints think that Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush are strong enough RBs to keep a good running game, and that scares me.

Maybe RB is something they'll address in the draft.

Pierre has proven himself. He may not be a a pro bowl RB, but he's consistent out of the backfield, catches the ball well, and runs decent up the middle. With all the other weapons they have on offense, all they need is a reliable RB and Thomas fills that role just fine.

Where the Saints suffered when running the ball was when Deuce first got hurt and they tried to rely on Reggie run through the tackles; which he's proven to be way too big of a pussy to do consistently. Throw in Stecker every now and then to give Pierre a break and they'll be fine imo. Reggie can be used for passes out of the backfield and the every-now-and-then trick play, but otherwise I think they'll be fine without Deuce.

I would have liked to see them keep Deuce, but he would have had to take a significant pay cut because I just don't see him still being the go-to-guy he once was. I could see him playing a short yardage roll the way Bettis did in his few years.

Wigner's Friend
02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Here's (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009combine/2009-offensive-linemen-nfl-combine-results.html) a pretty good spreadsheet of up to date results form the NFL Combine for those who are interested.

King of Mars
02-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Niners and Vikes might be interested in acquiring Michael Vick...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArE3oi3DxHKp854Fdr1g3vJDubYF?slug=ap-interestinvick&prov=ap&type=lgns

half guard
02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Niners and Vikes might be interested in acquiring Michael Vick...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArE3oi3DxHKp854Fdr1g3vJDubYF?slug=ap-interestinvick&prov=ap&type=lgns

Ugh.

Forget what he "deserves" or what his "rights" are. I don't ever want to see that douche in the NFL again.

ArttyG12
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
See what happens when you shoot people? (Marvin Harrison released).

Ok, it was because of money, not bullets.

Wigner's Friend
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Aaron Curry running a 4.56 at 254 lbs pretty much cements his position as the top defender in the draft.

FedEx Fanboy
02-23-2009, 08:17 PM
See what happens when you shoot people? (Marvin Harrison released).

Ok, it was because of money, not bullets.

Yea... Oh well. So long Marvin. You'll be missed.

Now, time to get a good LB or Albert Haynesworth!!!

Ryudo
02-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Rosenfels headed to Minnesota, where he'll compete with Gus Frerotte, Tarvaris Jackson, and a hobo that Brad Childress found on the street that can drunkenly escape tackles for the starting job:

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/nfl_tracker/posts/52741-report-rosenfels-to-vikings-deal-is-done?eref=fromSI

ArttyG12
02-24-2009, 08:57 AM

Now, time to get a good LB or Albert Haynesworth!!!

I'm pretty sure they had to release Harrison because they were already over the cap. Doubt that'll leave room for much in the way of free agents (esp Haynesworth).

Ryudo
02-24-2009, 09:00 AM
And Dan "Safety" Orlovsky wants to test the FA market:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3929169

FedEx Fanboy
02-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure they had to release Harrison because they were already over the cap. Doubt that'll leave room for much in the way of free agents (esp Haynesworth).

As far as I'm aware it's going to save us like 7 million FROM the cap. I don't believe we were over.

ArttyG12
02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
As far as I'm aware it's going to save us like 7 million FROM the cap. I don't believe we were over.

Most of the numbers I've seen have them very very close or a bit above the cap (Pre-Harrison):

ProFootballTalk (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/11/team-by-team-cap-numbers/)
ColtsCap (http://www.coltscap.net/salarycap.php)
and
Ask the Commish (http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp)

Ryudo
02-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Most of the numbers I've seen have them very very close or a bit above the cap (Pre-Harrison):

It's why there are rumors of Jeff Saturday leaving as well.

Marc Lombardi
02-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Bring him (back) to Philly, as a possession receiver, and I'd be happy.

I can imagine the WR combo of Houshmanzedah, Harrison, Curtis and D.Jackson. *swoon*

ArttyG12
02-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Bring him (back) to Philly, as a possession receiver, and I'd be happy.

I can imagine the WR combo of Houshmanzedah, Harrison, Curtis and D.Jackson. *swoon*

And it'll be a shorter trip to court. :twisted:

Marc Lombardi
02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
And it'll be a shorter trip to court. :twisted:
They actually dropped the charges against him. And charged the guy who blamed him with filing a false police report.

ArttyG12
02-24-2009, 11:21 AM
They actually dropped the charges against him. And charged the guy who blamed him with filing a false police report.

They never brought charges against him, but the case is still open. And the charge of filing a false police report is because, if I'm reading the AP article right, he first gave a false name and said it was someone other than Harrison who shot him.

So yeah, its possible that Harrison fought with a guy for weeks and then one day when they were arguing he pulled out his gun, handed it to someone else, and had him shoot him.

Ryudo
02-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Fred Taylor is looking at the Bills and the Patriots right now:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/24/taylor.bills.ap/index.html

The Chiefs cut Patrick Surtain, Damon Huard, and Donnie Edwards:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/25/chiefs.cuts.ap/index.html

And somewhere I read that Matt Stafford says he "wants to be a Detroit Lion."

Must've gotten hit in the head too much. :)

Marc Lombardi
02-25-2009, 05:43 AM
They never brought charges against him, but the case is still open. And the charge of filing a false police report is because, if I'm reading the AP article right, he first gave a false name and said it was someone other than Harrison who shot him.

So yeah, its possible that Harrison fought with a guy for weeks and then one day when they were arguing he pulled out his gun, handed it to someone else, and had him shoot him.
Hmmm....my gut instinct says it was Peyton Manning.

Ryudo
02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Bucs cut Derrick Brooks, Warrick Dunn, Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard, and Cato June.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/25/bucs.ap/index.html

Goodell takes 20% pay cut:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/25/goodell.ap/index.html

bradical
02-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Bucs cut Derrick Brooks, Warrick Dunn, Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard, and Cato June.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/25/bucs.ap/index.html

Goodell takes 20% pay cut:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/25/goodell.ap/index.html

the bucs are going to be a truly bad team this coming year. cutting brooks is something i never saw coming and just don't see how it helps the team at all.

Ryudo
02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
the bucs are going to be a truly bad team this coming year. cutting brooks is something i never saw coming and just don't see how it helps the team at all.

Unless Raheem Morris is way better than I think he is, I'm gonna agree. I know they have an aging defense but still, most of those dudes have a couple years left in the tank.

bradical
02-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Unless Raheem Morris is way better than I think he is, I'm gonna agree. I know they have an aging defense but still, most of those dudes have a couple years left in the tank.

and they've nothing of note behind them. and you can't discount the class and professionalism that having derrick brooks and warrick dunn bring to your team. it's a sad day in tampa bay.

Roman Noodles
02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
And somewhere I read that Matt Stafford says he "wants to be a Detroit Lion."

Must've gotten hit in the head too much. :)

Those are words that no one should ever say, head-trauma or no. :nonono2:

Ryudo
02-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Lavernues Coles (I think I spelled that right) is going to be a free agent come midnight.

Rams have cut Trent "Head Trauma" Green and Drew Bennett.

Brandon Jacobs signed a 4-year, $25-mil contract with the Giants.

Kurt Russell Crowe
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Bucs are completely rebuilding and most likely moving to a different defense other then the vaunted cover 2. They'll be bad but not one of the worst teams in the league.

Brewtown Andy
02-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Albert Haynesworth joins DeAngelo Hall in Washington

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939011

Ryudo
02-27-2009, 05:37 AM
I can't confirm it with a link, but reports have Fred Taylor signing with the Patriots.

I'll have to hate him now. :surrend:

And of course, Jeff Saturday has re-signed with the Colts.

Ryudo
02-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Sage Rosenfels has also agreed to a two-year, $9 mil contract extension with the Vikings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939155

Ryudo
02-27-2009, 05:49 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/sources-more-scoop-from-around-the-nfl/

According to National Football Post, the Texans are going to sign Patrick Ramsey to back up Matt Schaub. (ugh.)

ArttyG12
02-27-2009, 05:50 AM
I can't confirm it with a link, but reports have Fred Taylor signing with the Patriots.

I'll have to hate him now. :surrend:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/taylor-to-sign-with-new-england/

Here's your link. Welcome to the dark side, Taylor. :twisted:

afroloq
02-27-2009, 06:18 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/taylor-to-sign-with-new-england/

Here's your link. Welcome to the dark side, Taylor. :twisted:

And a man Taylor won't want to see 2x a year

Rumor: Bart Scott to sign with the Jets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6165/news;_ylt=At23jVjRZUlkwusfZ.lP1C_.uLYF)

FedEx Fanboy
02-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Albert Haynesworth joins DeAngelo Hall in Washington

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939011

Oh well, at least he's not in our division anymore! Peyton will be happy about that.

Ryudo
02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Kurt Warner wants to stay in the Zona:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/53503/index.html?eref=fromSI

markgrayson
02-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Bears sign OT Omiyale:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939196

Brewtown Andy
02-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Bears sign OT Omiyale:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939196I'm seeing from Chicago beat reporters that 10 teams were after Omiyale, so I feel good about this.

Kurt Russell Crowe
02-27-2009, 08:17 AM
It's going to be hilarious when the Redskins finish last in their division.

Brewtown Andy
02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
It's going to be hilarious when the Redskins finish last in their division.Or when Haynesworth takes a nap for 3 seasons.

Dr. Blasphemy
02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Yah! The Browns just dumped stupid Kellen Winslow to Tampon Bay!
Go fuck yourself K2!

Ryudo
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Go fuck yourself K2!

Wow, really? Awesome for the Browns.

Roman Noodles
02-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Heh, just realzied that there are two seperate threads. Heh.

Lot of activity this offseason so far.

Smokinblues
02-28-2009, 09:18 AM
oh. per NFL network, matt cassel to the chiefs. didn't know there were two threads

Humphrey_Lee
02-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Go fuck yourself K2!

Yeah! Way to dump the only consistent thing the offense had going for it! Oh... wait... I guess this just gives Braylon more chances to drop passes then!

Smokinblues
02-28-2009, 09:45 AM
well, now shefter and company at nfln are saying a third team is involved in the cassel sweepstakes and the deal to chiefs isn't final, even though it was 'agreed to by both parties'.

Smokinblues
02-28-2009, 10:03 AM
and now it's on again. shefter is gone, mike lombardi are talking about it. mentions of third team gone. 34th overall pick going to new england, apparently this is also a part of the deal for vrabel too

xanderharris
02-28-2009, 10:44 AM
and now it's on again. shefter is gone, mike lombardi are talking about it. mentions of third team gone. 34th overall pick going to new england, apparently this is also a part of the deal for vrabel too

ugh this is a horrible deal. I can only assume they are trying to rebuild with a younger team. My worry is what if Brady isnt healthy...then they are fucked.

Brewtown Andy
02-28-2009, 10:52 AM
and now it's on again. shefter is gone, mike lombardi are talking about it. mentions of third team gone. 34th overall pick going to new england, apparently this is also a part of the deal for vrabel tooVrabel & Cassell for the #34 pick? That's it?

Smokinblues
02-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Vrabel & Cassell for the #34 pick? That's it?

per ESPN story

Cassel is the second part of the trade that sent Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs on Friday. In exchange, the Patriots acquire the Chiefs' second-round pick (34th overall) in the 2009 NFL draft.

Smokinblues
02-28-2009, 11:06 AM
also, Kitna traded to Cowboys, compensation unknown.

Roman Noodles
02-28-2009, 11:12 AM
also, Kitna traded to Cowboys, compensation unknown.

As if that team didn't have enough drama queens.

FedEx Fanboy
02-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Fucking KC.

I hope Thigpen goes somewhere else and gets paid. He did a great job on a shitty ass team last year. I think he could be absolutely stellar on a decent team.

RebootedCorpse
02-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Another receiver about to commit career suicide.

According to ProFootballTalk.com, the Detroit Lions have signed receiver Bryant Johnson to a three-year, $9 million contract.

The Lions had brought in Nate Washington (Pittsburgh Steelers) for a visit on Friday and were expected to meet with Michael Clayton (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) this weekend.

Johnson, a six-year veteran, is expected to compete for the Lions' No. 2 receiver spot. He spent his first five seasons with the Arizona Cardinals and was with San Francisco 49ers last year, catching 45 passes for 546 yards and three touchdowns.

Johnson, who has been a spot starter for most of his career, has a total of 51 career starts, including a career-high 12 last season.

(I originally said Johnson would fill the No. 2 roster position, but it's still possible the Lions will make another move in free agency at receiver.)

RickLM
02-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I have never heard of Bryant Johnson.

Smokinblues
02-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Brian Dawkins to Denver. Really surprised Philly didn't resign him

RebootedCorpse
02-28-2009, 11:51 AM

That explains why the Lions have a shot at him...

Taxman
02-28-2009, 12:11 PM
per ESPN storyDid they offer him $15 million, and he never signed?

I am not seeing anything which would help me understand his contract status.

I wonder whether all of these big shots on ESPN who went on and on about what a great move it was for the Patriots to pay him that kind of money will be backtracking now.

Smokinblues
02-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Did they offer him $15 million, and he never signed?

I am not seeing anything which would help me understand his contract status.

I wonder whether all of these big shots on ESPN who went on and on about what a great move it was for the Patriots to pay him that kind of money will be backtracking now.
Apparently the franchise tag allowed them to trade him without a contract, and he must now work out a deal with the chiefs. i think.

Wigner's Friend
02-28-2009, 12:32 PM

He's going to be a pretty good number 2 option for Matt Stafford. At least, better than John Standeford.

Kurt Russell Crowe
02-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Apparently the franchise tag allowed them to trade him without a contract, and he must now work out a deal with the chiefs. i think.

hmmm interesting. Still though. Seems like they coyld have gotten a heck of a lot more.

Taxman
02-28-2009, 04:04 PM
hmmm interesting. Still though. Seems like they coyld have gotten a heck of a lot more.The Pioli thing does make it seem a bit fishy. I guess Boston now has four picks in the first two rounds, thy must think they are going to do real well with those.

AndrewG
02-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Can't believe Dawkins is gone. My brother in law is a huge Broncos fan and was planning on treating us to a game at the Linc when the Broncos play the Eagles this year. That game just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

Taxman
03-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Terribly unfortunate story.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/02/florida.missing.boaters/index.html

Taxman
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM
This should make for some interesting reading.

http://mauriceclarett.wordpress.com/

Taxman
03-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Terrell Owens (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/newstest.aspx?id=4217270) . . .

boom . . . outta here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8iaayMSnU)

Kurt Russell Crowe
03-04-2009, 08:56 PM
wow. I'd be surprised, if true. Go stink it up on Daaahraiihdahs, two.

Humphrey_Lee
03-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Terrell Owens (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/newstest.aspx?id=4217270) . . .

boom . . . outta here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8iaayMSnU)

Sooo... who picks him up? Wonder if the Giants have the balls to try it in the wake of Burris, if they ditch his ass like I think they will. Maybe the Raiders will snag him up as well as Vick in a bid to see if they can create a mini-Black Hole in the wake of their egos? Large Hadron Collider my ass!!!!

King of Mars
03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Sooo... who picks him up? My Jets? They just let Laveranues Coles walk to the Bengals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3952628

A day after losing wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, the Cincinnati Bengals replaced him by agreeing to a contract with former New York Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles.

NFL.com Video

Jets WR Laveranues Coles re-adjusts to a pass for a go-ahead TD catch vs. the Chiefs.
Coles agreed to a four-year, $28 million deal, according to a source.

For Coles, it was a victory. He turned down a $6 million guaranteed salary from the Jets. To obtain his freedom, Coles voided the final year of his Jets contract and became a free agent.

The Buffalo Bills were his first visit, but talks with the Bengals heated up over the weekend with the possibility of Houshmandzadeh leaving for the Seattle Seahawks. Coles visited the Bengals earlier this week but left without a contract.

Houshmandzadeh suggested that Cincinnati wasn't sincere about trying to keep him around. Coles got the opposite impression in his case.

"The Bengals were very aggressive right from the start in talking to us," Coles said, in a statement released by the team. "And when a team makes you feel really wanted, that's a factor you're not going to ignore. They said, 'Let's get this worked out,' and we did."

The 31-year-old Coles caught 631 passes during his nine-year career with the Jets. He had 8,095 yards and 44 touchdown receptions during his career in New York.

"Clearly, Laveranues gives our passing game another proven weapon," coach Marvin Lewis said. "He's been durable and reliable, with high production in catches, yards, yards per catch and touchdowns. He's also a passionate player, a guy who will bring a very positive chemistry to our locker room."

Houshmandzadeh's departure left Chad Ocho Cinco and Chris Henry as the two most experienced receivers. The Bengals quickly focused on Coles, who caught 70 passes for 850 yards last season and led the team with seven touchdown catches. He's replacing one of the NFL's most reliable receivers -- Houshmandzadeh had 112 catches in 2007 and 92 last year, even though Carson Palmer was sidelined for most of the season by an injury to his passing elbow.

Palmer has recovered from the partially torn ligament and tendon in the elbow and is expected to be back to full strength. Coles' career high is 91 catches in a season.

"I'm coming off a pretty good year, but I know I can do better," he said. "Anytime you come into a situation with a quarterback like Carson Palmer, you're going to think you can bump up those numbers a little more."

He'll be teamed with Ocho Cinco, who has two years left on his contract and has unsuccessfully lobbied for a trade. Ocho Cinco threatened to sit out last season, then relented after he realized the Bengals were going to keep him.

Coles also threatened to sit out last season unless he got a long-term deal. The Jets had the final two years of his contract guaranteed in a good-faith move to satisfy the receiver, who was a team captain in 2007 and a fan favorite during his second stint with the Jets

Humphrey_Lee
03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
My Jets? They just let Laveranues Coles walk to the Bengals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3952628

I'm shocked that someone like the Giants didn't go after him either. He can be a number one as long as you have competent WR's alongside him to take the pressure off, and he comes with none of the locker room baggage like T.O. or Burress does. I'm shocked he didn't become a bigger deal out of all these offseason dealings. Your jets are probably going to have to worry about getting a QB going before picking up a WR like T.O. though I think.

Smokinblues
03-05-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm shocked that someone like the Giants didn't go after him either. He can be a number one as long as you have competent WR's alongside him to take the pressure off, and he comes with none of the locker room baggage like T.O. or Burress does. I'm shocked he didn't become a bigger deal out of all these offseason dealings. Your jets are probably going to have to worry about getting a QB going before picking up a WR like T.O. though I think.
Even the dolphins, whose QB is Coles' best friend didn't want him. they must think he's done.

Brewtown Andy
03-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Why is the headline on Donte Stallworth killing a guy "Car driven by Stallworth kills man?"

Ryudo
03-16-2009, 11:06 AM
The Jaguars have released Matty Crack:

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=7718

The release of Matt Jones on Monday morning may have sent a shockwave through the Jaguars’ weight room, which housed several players lifting weights. The Jaguars’ offseason strength and conditioning program doesn’t officially begin until April 6, but players were at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium on Monday to undergo physical assessments by new strength coach Luke Richesson and his staff.

“I was definitely shocked,” quarterback David Garrard said. “There are business decisions that have to be made and they’re made. We support Matt as a person. We are here and getting ready to start the 2009 season, starting our weight program. We just have to move forward.”

Jones was released a week after having been found in violation of parole for his drug conviction of last fall. He spent the rest of last week in an Arkansas jail before being released this past weekend to come to Jacksonville for the strength and conditioning assessment.

“We wanted to meet with him face to face,” Jaguars General Manager Gene Smith said when asked why the team waited to announce the release of Jones. Clearly, it was a decision that had been made last week.

“There’s a level of responsibility and expectation of every player who is a part of this team,” Smith added.

Smith is in the ongoing process of cleaning up the Jaguars roster. The intent is to eliminate players who are character risks, in addition to executing an obvious youth movement. The release of Jones, who led the Jaguars in pass receptions last season with 65, leaves the Jaguars with a corps of wide receivers that include only three players who caught passes for the team last season: Dennis Northcutt with 44 catches for 545 yards and two touchdowns, Mike Walker with 16 catches for 217 yards and no touchdowns, and Troy Williamson with five catches for 30 yards and one touchdown.

Northcutt emerged as the Jaguars’ top big-play receiver after Jones began serving a season-ending three-game suspension. Northcutt, however, is 31 and heading into his 10th season. The other wide receivers currently on the Jaguars roster are first-year players D’Juan Woods and Nate Hughes, neither of whom has ever caught a pass in an NFL game.

“We don’t play a game until September,” Smith said. “I feel confident we can add to our receiver group. I feel that acquiring a veteran and through the college draft we’ll find players who can play at a winning level.”

The most prominent of the available unrestricted free agents is former Rams star receiver Torry Holt. Other veteran receivers are likely to become available as training camp approaches.

“Projections take time. There is a place to take every player,” Smith said in offering a post-mortem on Jones’ career, which never equaled the big-play expectations that were predicted for him when the Jaguars selected him with the 21st overall pick of the 2005 draft. Jones, of course, was a college quarterback who was making the move to wide receiver.

His drug arrest last July seemed to have a positive impact on his playing career. Jones turned in the best training camp effort of his career and played well early in the season, becoming a go-to third-down receiver in the first half of the season. The big play for which he was drafted, however, was mistakenly forecast.

“Evaluating your roster is a continuing process. We want players who play well on and off the field,” Smith said.

“It’s going to motivate us big-time,” Garrard said of the Jaguars’ failures in 2008. “Looking at the ’08 season in our rearview mirror, it was definitely disappointing and nobody wants to have that taste in their mouth anymore. We are very excited about moving forward and getting back on the winning path. That is what we have to be focused on right now and I know guys in that locker room are doing just that.”

They’ll be doing it without a lot of the guys who were on the ’08 roster.

Gene Smith ain't playin' around.

King of Mars
03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Apparently, Jay Cutler is quite a fuckin' baby.

"Waaaaah! They tried to trade me. Waaaaah! I want out!"

It's a business, cocksmoker. Better players than you have been shown the door by their teams. Get over it.

Magnum V.I.
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Fuck jay cutler. If for no other reason that now all Denver based Sports news regurgitates the story ad nausiem. Fuck you Cutler! :mad:!

Marc Lombardi
03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Re: Jay Cutler. I kinda sympathise for the guy, but at the same time, he's doing the same sort of bitching and moaning that one would expect from someone like T.O. So I gotta say he's a BAGGADOUCHE!

Ryudo
03-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Re: Jay Cutler. I kinda sympathise for the guy, but at the same time, he's doing the same sort of bitching and moaning that one would expect from someone like T.O. So I gotta say he's a BAGGADOUCHE!

Naw, his coach is being one of those.

Magnum V.I.
03-16-2009, 01:31 PM

It's a two-way street. McDaniels fucked up by being amateur and not keeping the trade talks under wraps. Cutler is being a bitchy whiny baby not understanding it's a business and doesn't trust the coach. If he stays with the Bronco's he will be booed mercilessly every fucking game. If he goes, he'll get more money than he's worth somewhere else. He is a franchise quarterback.

Kurt Russell Crowe
03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I dunno, look at how even Farve was treated by everyone around him, Cutler's just using the only leverage he'll ever have as an NFL player - being a young, potential 10 year starter for a team.

Magnum V.I.
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I dunno, look at how even Farve was treated by everyone around him, Cutler's just using the only leverage he'll ever have as an NFL player - being a young, potential 10 year starter for a team.

Exactly. he only has like a year or two left on his contract.

Marc Lombardi
03-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Whaddaya expect? He's a product of Bill Bellichick. That guys is the Midas of d-bags. Everything he touches turns to douche.

Josh V
03-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Whaddaya expect? He's a product of Bill Bellichick. That guys is the Midas of d-bags. Everything he touches turns to douche.

Yeah McDaniels picked up some douchey tricks but if the rumors are correct that Cutler wanted to get traded as soon as Bates went to USC than fuck him in his fuckin whiny bitch ass. Seriously if you are going to walk into your new HC's office and say look my old coach and offense coordinator went away, I'm 17-20 as a starter, and I want out....yeah your ability to whine here has hit zero.

Plus his agent is Cook, yep the same guy who was an agent to Favre. Sorry but this one is going to drag along.

King of Mars
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Whaddaya expect? He's a product of Bill Bellichick. That guys is the Midas of d-bags. Everything he touches turns to douche.I don't know if McDaniels is a douche (Who knows how word of the possible trade leaked out?)...but I don't think he made a very sound football move by trying to get "his guy" in there with a Pro Bowl caliber QB already on the roster. Shit, is Cassell over Cutler really an upgrade? That's debatable. I certainly don't think it's enough of an upgrade to make it worth the risk of alienating the franchise quarterback.

ArttyG12
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
McDaniels is such a dick. He should have straight up lied to Cutler. Right? Right?

Marc Lombardi
03-17-2009, 02:42 AM
McDaniels is such a dick. He should have straight up lied to Cutler. Right? Right?
No, but like it's been said, he immediately tried to bring in "his guy" before the ink was dried on his new coaching contract -- forgetting that he already had a Pro Bowl Franchise QB coming off of his best season. And for what? To bring in a guy who played admirably well for one year but for the most part is unproven?

ArttyG12
03-17-2009, 05:35 AM
No, but like it's been said, he immediately tried to bring in "his guy" before the ink was dried on his new coaching contract -- forgetting that he already had a Pro Bowl Franchise QB coming off of his best season. And for what? To bring in a guy who played admirably well for one year but for the most part is unproven?

Well, maybe he figured he'd get more value for Cutler in a trade, allowing him to improve the defense. If he thinks his system minimizes the downgrade from Cutler to Cassel compared to other teams' systems, allowing him to address a weakness without significantly hurting a strength, then it was absolutely the right move to try and make the trade.

Unless we really think McDaniels got both the GM and the owner to agree to trade for, by most accounts, a lesser quarterback simply by saying "He's my guy."

Josh V
03-17-2009, 11:07 AM

However what if your pro bowl quarterback doesn't want to be there anymore? Say he did go in and ask for a trade almost as the new coaching staff was brought in. If he does that, don't you then have to start looking for trade options. I don't think either side is innocent in this one, but yes I think Cutler has his share of blame in how he's dealt with this one as well

Marc Lombardi
03-17-2009, 11:09 AM
However what if your pro bowl quarterback doesn't want to be there anymore? Say he did go in and ask for a trade almost as the new coaching staff was brought in. If he does that, don't you then have to start looking for trade options. I don't think either side is innocent in this one, but yes I think Cutler has his share of blame in how he's dealt with this one as well
Chicken and the egg. Cutler wouldn't have acted like a cry-baby pussy if the new coach didn't try to bring in his own personal QB before the ink dried on his new contract.

afroloq
03-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Matt Jones was cut...good.

Stallworth is now under suspicion for murder...not good.

Josh V
03-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Chicken and the egg. Cutler wouldn't have acted like a cry-baby pussy if the new coach didn't try to bring in his own personal QB before the ink dried on his new contract.

Except that the rumor is that Cutler asked for his trade before the Cassell deal ever went down. Cutler went in to ask for the trade as soon as they let bates go, least that's the rumor now.

Marc Lombardi
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Except that the rumor is that Cutler asked for his trade before the Cassell deal ever went down. Cutler went in to ask for the trade as soon as they let bates go, least that's the rumor now.
Damage control from Denver. I don't buy it.

Josh V
03-17-2009, 11:20 AM

Ok, well I'm just saying that it's out there. I don't know, I am sure McDaniels didn't handle it perfectly well, but neither is Cutler. Obviously at this point I'd say it's not going to last for him there, and they are going to have to trade him. But I can't say that Cutler is without some fault here.

ArttyG12
03-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Peter King on SI is reporting it pretty much as fact. And he reported it before it blew up as much as it has.

Humphrey_Lee
03-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I know Cutler is probably letting this go way out of control on his end, but at the same time, he's a Franchise QB that led that team to the 2nd best Offense in the league with no O-Line and no running game to speak of. If I were him and did that for the team, as soon as I even heard whispers of my ass getting traded I'd be pissed too and demand that trade. That's just stupidity on the part of a coach who hasn't proven anything yet, and a franchise that is really starting to mishandle itself.

Oh, and I guess there's a rumor going around that the Bills might be willing to give up Edwards and their first pick for Cutler. They feel they just need a dynamite QB to put them over the top, and if McDaniels thinks so much that his system doesn't need a huge QB to succeed, that'll give him one in Edwards plus a high pick to start building it the way he wants to. That could be interesting if it goes down.

Gregory
03-17-2009, 11:30 AM
JESUS GOD, don't take Julius Peppers away from us. For FUCK'S sake.

gomi
03-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Didn't see this one coming! *feigns shock*

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/616340.html

Brewtown Andy
03-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Didn't see this one coming! *feigns shock*

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/616340.htmlEh. It's just the workout program, and it's just voluntary.

I'd be more concerned about missing the upcoming voluntary minicamp.

Magnum V.I.
03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
And Cutler is out of here.

Statement from President and CEO Pat Bowlen on Jay Cutler

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen today released the following statement:

"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by Head Coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful.

A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos.

We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded.”

Brewtown Andy
03-31-2009, 05:38 PM
And Cutler is out of here.

Statement from President and CEO Pat Bowlen on Jay Cutler

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen today released the following statement:

"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by Head Coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful.

A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos.

We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded.”
Cutler's not returning their calls at all? Heh.

Magnum V.I.
03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Cutler's not returning their calls at all? Heh.

Yeah. Sucks we're going to lose a franchise quarterback and probably now be suck in 10 years of mediocrity, but I'm a Falcons boy, I'm used to it.

gomi
03-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Cutler's a douchebag. I'm sure there's enough blame for this situation to go around on both sides, but seriously... grow up, son.

Also, Ocho Cinco (Ocho NoSho?) was a no-show for the start of the Bengals spring program. TO wanna-be. Except that TO actually has had some numbers the past few years, while Chad's career has been mostly his own delusional fantasy for a long time now.

Brewtown Andy
03-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Cutler's a douchebag.I'm really looking forward to the KSK post about Laserface's reaction to Cutlerfucker getting traded.

Flynt
03-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Be interesting to see how this plays out. Supposedly the two sides have yet to even meet with each other.

KANSAS CITY, MO - The Chiefs home season might be in jeopardy because of a possible labor strike at Truman Sports Complex, but officials say football fans don't need to be worried yet.

Arrowhead Stadium is under major construction, so if the workers strike, the stadium wouldn't be up and running in time, and the Chiefs would have to play every scheduled home game at the opposing team's stadium. FOX 4 Sports called the Chiefs and they told us in no uncertain terms they have not petitioned the NFL to play all of their home games on the road this coming season.

According to Kevin Kietzman of 810 Sports Radio, when a labor contract between the builder and the Ironworkers Local Number 10 Union expires at midnight on March 30, the iron workers and carpenters will go on strike.

NFL Spokesman Greg Aiello told FOX 4 Sports he hasn't heard anything about the matter from the Chiefs and they have not petitioned to move their home games.

Mike Smith of the Jackson County Sports Authority said he thinks the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. He told FOX 4 he's confident a contract will be negotiated and it will be business as usual at the stadium. According to Smith, "With the economy the way it is today, let's face facts, I don't think all the players involved in this want to be without work for 30 days."

If there is a strike, it wouldn't just impact the Truman Sports Complex. It would also affect the entire Kansas City construction workforce, including the the Performing Arts Center that's under construction in downtown Kansas City, Missouri.

As for Kauffman Stadium, it's also under construction, but the Royals said Wednesday that contract or no contract, they're ready for their April 5th open house, as well as the Royals home opener on April 10th.

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-chiefs-labor-dispute-story-032509,0,2146777.story

Taxman
03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Matthew Stafford will go in the first ten picks in the draft . . .

Did I just hear this on ESPN? Does it get any bolder than that?

I cannot believe the stuff they pay some of these guys for.

Brewtown Andy
04-01-2009, 02:55 PM
The Seahawks have a new alternate uniform. I refuse to link to it.

Taxman
04-01-2009, 04:01 PM
So what do you thing, Favre to Denver?

gomi
04-01-2009, 07:17 PM
... aaaand the blood tests are in on Donte Stallworth.

The charge is now DUI Manslaughter.

Taxman
04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
... aaaand the blood tests are in on Donte Stallworth.

The charge is now DUI Manslaughter.Never like to see people throw their lives away.

Brewtown Andy
04-02-2009, 10:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4034863

Jay Cutler and Bus Cook have no idea what the Broncos are talking about with the "repeated attempts to contact Cutler" stuff.

ArttyG12
04-02-2009, 11:11 AM

Jay Cutler and Bus Cook have no idea what the Broncos are talking about with the "repeated attempts to contact Cutler" stuff.

So...they want us to believe the GM and the owner want to trade Cutler and at the same time are intentionally killing Cutler's trade value? :mistrust:

c. page
04-02-2009, 11:15 AM

i was really hoping it was an april fool's joke.

Gregory
04-02-2009, 11:18 AM

Googles them.

Awaits page download.

Blinded.

c. page
04-02-2009, 12:55 PM

i was really hoping it was an april fool's joke.

according to the seattle times: it was an april fools joke!!

kinda...

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/seahawks/2009/04/02/the_green_unifo.html

King of Mars
04-02-2009, 12:57 PM
*Edit - Nevermind. :)

Rosdower 3.0
04-02-2009, 01:01 PM

It's a regular telecommunications meltdown!!!

:rofl:

With that said, obviously Cutler wanted to be cut...you're not fooling anyone. EVERYONE is to blame for this ridiculous situation.

ArttyG12
04-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Cutler to the Bears. For 2 firsts, Orton, and some conflicting reports about extra stuff going both ways.

jason hissong
04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Cutler to the Bears makes me super happy.

Taxman
04-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Cutler to the Bears. For 2 firsts, Orton, and some conflicting reports about extra stuff going both ways.:lol:

They got robbed.

ArttyG12
04-02-2009, 02:47 PM

They got robbed.

Which side?

Brewtown Andy
04-02-2009, 03:36 PM
according to the seattle times: it was an april fools joke!!

kinda...

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/seahawks/2009/04/02/the_green_unifo.htmlI'm really pissed off at Paul Lukas about this. For a guy who takes uniforms as seriously as he does, to say "I wish this was an April Fool's joke, but it's not" and then to have it turn out to be exactly that is a really douche move.

Brewtown Andy
04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Which side?*saybroncossaybroncossaybroncos*

Taxman
04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Which side?Da Bears

Brewtown Andy
04-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Da Bears:mad:

Gregory
04-03-2009, 12:11 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4040009) says the Giants officially cut Burress.

Brewtown Andy
04-03-2009, 02:52 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4040009) says the Giants officially cut Burress.The Chicago Sun-Times Bears beat reporter suggests that it'd be a good idea for the Bears to sign Plax.

I'm not disagreeing with him, but no way it should happen until he gets sentenced.

gomi
04-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Okay, if the league expanded and added one deliquent team of all the NFL's "troubled" players, how good do you think they would be? I think they'd go 9-7, with four confirmed kills. Also the team would play on Alcatraz, which would be a helluva home field advantage.

Brewtown Andy
04-04-2009, 08:20 AM
The Eagles fired a part time employee who badmouthed the team on Facebook when Brian Dawkins signed with the Broncos? What?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4041720

gomi
04-06-2009, 05:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4045389

Plaxico seems to have a learning disability. Pity the fools who decide they need a deep threat THIS badly.

Brewtown Andy
04-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Apparently the Cutler trade was a pretty smart financial move for the Bears, too. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-10-33/Revisiting-the-cap-impact-of-the-Cutler-trade.html)

Humphrey_Lee
04-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Apparently the Cutler trade was a pretty smart financial move for the Bears, too. (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-10-33/Revisiting-the-cap-impact-of-the-Cutler-trade.html)

Sadly, all reading that does is make me hate how the NFL handles its rookies. Why the hell is an EIGHTEEN pick worth a $15 million contract? They haven't proven anything yet!! And then Detroit's probably going to be shelling out something outrageous on their first pick, who most likely is going to be an Offensive Lineman... they need to do something about this before it get completely out of hand. I don't even know why a team would want a number 1 pick these days.

ArttyG12
04-07-2009, 07:18 AM

That seems a bit...odd. First, he's praising the Bears for saving .06 million dollars on Cutler over Orton. I mean, yeah its good they're saving money there, but .06 million out of about a 127 million dollar cap hardly seems worth mentioning at all.

Then, he says they saved money because they don't have to spend it on a first-round pick. Now they can spend that money on free agents...despite most of the big-ticket free agents already having signed.

Brewtown Andy
04-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Sadly, all reading that does is make me hate how the NFL handles its rookies. Why the hell is an EIGHTEEN pick worth a $15 million contract? They haven't proven anything yet!! And then Detroit's probably going to be shelling out something outrageous on their first pick, who most likely is going to be an Offensive Lineman... they need to do something about this before it get completely out of hand. I don't even know why a team would want a number 1 pick these days.Yet another reason why I'm fine with the Bears giving up the picks. :D

The NFL's collective bargaining agreement is coming up soon, and I'm pretty sure this is tops on the owners' list to change.

Brewtown Andy
04-07-2009, 07:20 AM
That seems a bit...odd. First, he's praising the Bears for saving .06 million dollars on Cutler over Orton. I mean, yeah its good they're saving money there, but .06 million out of about a 127 million dollar cap hardly seems worth mentioning at all.

Then, he says they saved money because they don't have to spend it on a first-round pick. Now they can spend that money on free agents...despite most of the big-ticket free agents already having signed.The Bears gave up next year's 1st round pick, too. And you can negotiate extensions with your own players whenever you want.

Humphrey_Lee
04-07-2009, 07:24 AM

Then, he says they saved money because they don't have to spend it on a first-round pick. Now they can spend that money on free agents...despite most of the big-ticket free agents already having signed.

YEah, saving the money would have been great if they had used it to go after Coles, or T.J., or T.O., or hell, even Nate Washington... but alas...

ArttyG12
04-07-2009, 07:33 AM
The Bears gave up next year's 1st round pick, too. And you can negotiate extensions with your own players whenever you want.

That's right, but that year Cutler's salary would have, um, 5-toupled. At the 3 million dollar cap-hit the writer estimates for a first-round pick, that almost covers both of them. So its almost negligible money saved against the cap. Seems like its more or less a wash, which again would mean they can't sign extra free agents or extend players they otherwise couldn't.

Brewtown Andy
04-07-2009, 07:45 AM
That's right, but that year Cutler's salary would have, um, 5-toupled. At the 3 million dollar cap-hit the writer estimates for a first-round pick, that almost covers both of them. So its almost negligible money saved against the cap. Seems like its more or less a wash, which again would mean they can't sign extra free agents or extend players they otherwise couldn't.$5 million for a Pro Bowl caliber QB = discount. AND, if there's not a new CBA by then, 2010 is an uncapped year.

andeparks
04-07-2009, 07:53 AM
$5 million for a whining crybaby little bitch QB = discount.

Fixed.

;)

Anj

Brewtown Andy
04-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Fixed.

;)

AnjI still don't understand how demanding a trade after your brand new coach who everyone thought took the job because of you refuses to meet with you while your agent is in the room is a crybaby bitch move.

2) Yahoo Sports writer Michael Silver was on the Deadspin podcast last week. He has a son who's been diagnosed with type-1 diabetes. The doctors told him that the people who do the best at managing their diabetes are the people who are very organized and don't have a lot of upheaval and commotion in their life. He can't help but wonder if the fact that Cutler's still only a year into living with diabetes affected his attitude towards McDaniels fucking with his lifestyle.

ArttyG12
04-07-2009, 08:17 AM
$5 million for a Pro Bowl caliber QB = discount. AND, if there's not a new CBA by then, 2010 is an uncapped year.

I'm not saying Cutler isn't well-priced for the Bears. I'm just arguing against that guy's point that this benefitted them salary cap-wise. I don't see it at all.

I still don't understand how demanding a trade after your brand new coach who everyone thought took the job because of you refuses to meet with you while your agent is in the room is a crybaby bitch move.

2) Yahoo Sports writer Michael Silver was on the Deadspin podcast last week. He has a son who's been diagnosed with type-1 diabetes. The doctors told him that the people who do the best at managing their diabetes are the people who are very organized and don't have a lot of upheaval and commotion in their life. He can't help but wonder if the fact that Cutler's still only a year into living with diabetes affected his attitude towards McDaniels fucking with his lifestyle.

Where have you seen that McDaniels wouldn't meet with Cutler while his agent was there? That's the first time I've seen that. Everything I've seen is that McDaniels wanted to meet and Cutler wouldn't return anyone's calls.

2. Cutler was upset that McDaniel's attempts to trade him somewhere could upset his diabetes-affected lifestyle, so he insisted that Mcdaniels try to trade him somewhere? :mistrust:

Ryudo
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Holy effing crap - Winslow just got a six-year, $36.1 mil extension.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/06/Winslow.Bucs.ap/index.html

He's not even that good.

Brewtown Andy
04-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Where have you seen that McDaniels wouldn't meet with Cutler while his agent was there? That's the first time I've seen that. Everything I've seen is that McDaniels wanted to meet and Cutler wouldn't return anyone's calls.The aforementioned Deadspin podcast.

2. Cutler was upset that McDaniel's attempts to trade him somewhere could upset his diabetes-affected lifestyle, so he insisted that Mcdaniels try to trade him somewhere? :mistrust:Everyone (including Cutler) presumed the guy in charge of getting Matt Cassell to 11 wins wanted to coach the Broncos to be able to win with Cutler. Turns out, not so much. McDaniels is yanking Cutler's chain and he hasn't even run a practice yet. Staying in Denver = dealing with McDaniels; demanding a trade = knowing you're going to a situation where you're not getting yanked around. Even more so in QB starved Chicago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it. He made it clear that he could still entertain trading me because, as he put it, he'll do whatever he feels is in the best interest of the organization. At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. He basically said that I needed to tell him if we can't work this out, to let him know. I thought he was antagonizing me and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco.

Marc Lombardi
04-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Holy effing crap - Winslow just got a six-year, $36.1 mil extension.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/06/Winslow.Bucs.ap/index.html

He's not even that good.
I wonder if he'll buy a new motorcycle?

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
04-12-2009, 06:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4062212

Source: Buccaneers to add QB Leftwich

Free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers also were interested in Leftwich, who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese.

Leftwich, 29, a first-round draft pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars out of Marshall in 2003, won a Super Bowl ring last season as a backup with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder has started just eight games since 2006, his last season with the Jaguars. He played for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.

Leftwich passed for 303 yards with two touchdowns in five appearances with the Steelers last season as Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

Ryudo
04-13-2009, 10:55 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4062212

Source: Buccaneers to add QB Leftwich

Free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers also were interested in Leftwich, who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese.

Leftwich, 29, a first-round draft pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars out of Marshall in 2003, won a Super Bowl ring last season as a backup with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder has started just eight games since 2006, his last season with the Jaguars. He played for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.

Leftwich passed for 303 yards with two touchdowns in five appearances with the Steelers last season as Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

I think he'll start.

"The voice of NFL films" passed away today...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/13/harry.kalas.ap/index.html

Steelers paid James Harrison what he's worth:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/13/steelers.ap/index.html

And the Broncos might be looking to trade into the Jags' spot:
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/98974-broncos-eyeing-jags-no-8-pick?eref=fromSI

Kurt Russell Crowe
04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I think he'll start.

Certainly by midseason, if not opening day.

Taxman
04-13-2009, 12:12 PM
I think he'll start.

"The voice of NFL films" passed away today...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/13/harry.kalas.ap/index.htmlHe certainly did outstanding work, but John Facenda will always be the voice of NFL films.

Marc Lombardi
04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
He certainly did outstanding work, but John Facenda will always be the voice of NFL films.
Agreed.

Ryudo
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Just going by the story I read, kids.

King of Mars
04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
The 2009 NFL schedule was released today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/scoreboard;_ylt=Aurs6IVmMnHKISl9xkrvGDSr0op4?w=1

I'm actually quite pleased with the Jets' schedule. Thought it might be a little bit tougher.

divinus
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM

I'm actually quite pleased with the Jets' schedule. Thought it might be a little bit tougher.

the Panthers do...not have a real fun schedule.

I'm loving the week 4 bye.:surrend:

Humphrey_Lee
04-14-2009, 11:17 PM

Yeah, wow. Steelers are getting off damn light. Their division is bad now because I think Baltimore is going to slip significantly with all the D-Men they let get away, and we all know the other two teams suck. NFC North is either going to be a sweep or a 3-1 run, and except for the Chargers I fear nothing out of the AFC West right now. Should legitimately go around 12-4.

Kurt Russell Crowe
04-14-2009, 11:42 PM
damn...All the NFC south teams have tough scheds. Complete tossup year for the Bucs, even moreso than it already was. Guh... a game in london against the pats...

Brewtown Andy
04-15-2009, 06:56 AM
The Bears have the easiest schedule in the NFL and have a real QB now. Get your bandwagon seats early, they're going fast!

Ryudo
04-15-2009, 08:07 AM
I like the Jags' schedule.

Speaking of, we are apparently going to make MJD the third-highest-paid running back in football:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4070094

Maurice Jones-Drew agreed Wednesday to a four-year extension that will make him one of the three highest paid running backs in football.

According to a source, the Jacksonville Jaguars and Jones-Drew have agreed on a deal worth more than $8.2 million a year.

The four-year extension, which according to a source will pay him more than $32 million, will be announced at a news conference Wednesday afternoon in Jacksonville.

The contract is believed to top the six-year, $49.1 million deal signed by Clinton Portis of the Redskins in 2006. Steven Jackson of the Rams is the highest paid running back. He signed a five-year, 48.5 million deal last season. Larry Johnson of the Chiefs is next. He has five-year, $43.14 million contract.

Jones-Drew was entering the final year of his contract and was scheduled to make $535,000.

With the release of Fred Taylor, Jones-Drew, who averaged 4.8 yards a carry during his career, becomes the team's feature back. He had 941 yards as a rookie and last season gained 824 yards on 197 carries and rushed for 12 touchdowns.

Jones-Drew has 34 touchdowns during his three-year career.

Brewtown Andy
04-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Tony Mandarich is following me on Twitter.

gomi
04-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Yeah, wow. Steelers are getting off damn light. Their division is bad now because I think Baltimore is going to slip significantly with all the D-Men they let get away, and we all know the other two teams suck. NFC North is either going to be a sweep or a 3-1 run, and except for the Chargers I fear nothing out of the AFC West right now. Should legitimately go around 12-4.
Agreed about the record, but I'm not ready to write the Ravens off just yet.

I think [Leftwich]'ll start.
I don't think he would have left the Steelers except for an opportunity to start somewhere else.

damn...All the NFC south teams have tough scheds.
It will be a tough re-introduction to the NFL after last year's cakewalk schedule...

The Bears have the easiest schedule in the NFL and have a real QB now. Get your bandwagon seats early, they're going fast!
I'll be a believer if they go at least .500 vs the Giants, Eagles, Steelers and Ravens. The rest, eh, not so much.

Brewtown Andy
04-16-2009, 06:33 AM
I'll be a believer if they go at least .500 vs the Giants, Eagles, Steelers and Ravens. The rest, eh, not so much.Beat the Eagles last year. :D

Brewtown Andy
04-16-2009, 07:42 AM
BOOM! (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4073253)

John Madden retired.

Ryudo
04-16-2009, 07:45 AM
BOOM! (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4073253)

John Madden retired.

RT: Madden is retiring? But whos gonna tell me that you need to score points in order to win?

Brewtown Andy
04-16-2009, 07:47 AM
RT: Madden is retiring? But whos gonna tell me that you need to score points in order to win?I'll tell you, but that's it. I don't have that much time to be getting in touch with everyone.

gomi
04-16-2009, 07:47 AM
RT: Madden is retiring? But whos gonna tell me that you need to score points in order to win?
Just pm me on Saturdays and I'll tell you. I'll even throw in my theory that in order to stop the run, you need to have a few good run-stoppers in the middle.*

* Not really my theory, I stole it from Madden.

King of Mars
04-16-2009, 07:50 AM
RT: Madden is retiring? But whos gonna tell me that you need to score points in order to win?He didn't want to go on with no more Brett Favre in the game.

Brewtown Andy
04-20-2009, 05:29 AM
Peter King is on Twitter. (http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing)

God help us all.

Now, here's the question: Do I follow him to see what stupidity he posts next, or do I not follow him in order to avoid the desire to bang my head on the nearest wall when he posts tweets?

Brewtown Andy
04-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Lions are unveiling new unis and a new logo in about an hour.

Ryudo
04-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Pssh.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn250/prsupreme/untitled-1.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn250/prsupreme/defined.jpg (http://www.jaguars.com)

Ryudo
04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Eh...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii103/officeryudo/lions.jpg

Kurt Russell Crowe
04-20-2009, 10:52 AM
that'll sure help them...

Drew
04-20-2009, 11:19 AM
that'll sure help them...

An action logo is worth three wins on it's own.

So 3-13.

Marc Lombardi
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Eh...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii103/officeryudo/lions.jpg

They'd have been better off if they went with my tattoo idea:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/marclombardi/tatv1.jpg

Marc Lombardi
04-20-2009, 12:39 PM
So the Eagles got better with Jason Peters, but now Sheldon Brown is asking fro a new contract or a trade.

Roman Noodles
04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Meh.

gomi
04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
... rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Ryudo
04-21-2009, 07:30 AM
We signed Torry Holt. :rock:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/20/Holt.Jaguars.ap/index.html

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- The Jacksonville Jaguars addressed their biggest need Monday night, agreeing to a three-year conract with veteran receiver Torry Holt.

The deal lessens the need for Jacksonville to get a receiver early in this weekend's NFL draft and gives the franchise its biggest weapon at the position since Jimmy Smith retired in 2006.

The Jaguars still might select a receiver with the No. 8 pick, especially since Holt will be 33 years old this summer and has been slowed by knee problems in recent years. Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree and Missouri's Jeremy Maclin are expected to be top-10 picks.

Jacksonville has been searching for a No. 1 receiver since Smith's retirement. The team selected Reggie Williams (2004) and Matt Jones (2005) in the first round in consecutive years, but parted ways with the troubled receivers this offseason. The Jaguars chose not to re-sign Williams after five disappointing seasons and released Jones after he violated a plea agreement stemming from a drug charge.

Jacksonville also got rid of Jerry Porter in February. The Jags paid Porter $11 million last season, but he finished with 11 catches and got blamed for chemistry issues in the locker room.

Without those three, the team's top returning receivers were Dennis Northcutt, Mike Walker and Troy Williamson.

Northcutt has never shown he could be a go-to receiver. Walker hasn't been fully healthy during his two years in the league. And Williamson, a former first-round pick, played sparingly last season after getting trading to Jacksonville following three miserable years in Minnesota.

Holt certainly boosts the Jaguars' wideout position. The seven-time Pro Bowler ranks 11th on the NFL's career list with 869 receptions. He caught 64 passes for 796 yards and three touchdowns for St. Louis last season. The Rams released him in March days before he was due a $1.25 million roster bonus.

Granted, I'd be happy if we brought Jerry Rice out of retirement, but this is a good move. It can't possibly hurt that we got one of the original Warner Brothers.

Ryudo
04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
New Jags uniforms and logo! Streaming live at http://jaguars.com

Brewtown Andy
04-22-2009, 06:09 PM
New Jags uniforms and logo! Streaming live at http://jaguars.comWhat's this about teal sparkle?

gomi
04-22-2009, 07:14 PM
The helmets are all sparkly like bowling balls! Really, really gay bowling balls!

Wigner's Friend
04-22-2009, 08:28 PM
It looks like the Lions are going to try and sign QB/Keg Press Champ Matt Stafford with the first pick. Calvin Johnson should be ecstatic about the opportunity to catch balls from the equivalent of Daunte Culpepper's 1999 arm rather than Culpepper's current collection of torn ligaments.

jason hissong
04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
We signed Torry Holt. :rock:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/20/Holt.Jaguars.ap/index.html

Granted, I'd be happy if we brought Jerry Rice out of retirement, but this is a good move. It can't possibly hurt that we got one of the original Warner Brothers.

You are not on the team! :-? No possessives!

Brewtown Andy
04-22-2009, 09:03 PM
It can't possibly hurt that we got one of the original Warner Brothers.You might have been better off with Yakko or Wakko.

Brewtown Andy
04-23-2009, 09:45 AM
New Jags uniforms and logo! Streaming live at http://jaguars.comUni Watch is not a fan. (http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2009/04/23/jags-unveil-crummy-new-uni-set-kids-cry/)

Gregory
04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
The Chiefs sent TE Gonzalez to the Falcons for a second-round pick. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4092471) The Panthers defense better stretch out.

Ryudo
04-23-2009, 11:11 AM
The Chiefs sent TE Gonzalez to the Falcons for a second-round pick. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4092471) The Panthers defense better stretch out.

Be they'll take Pettigrew now.

Wigner's Friend
04-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Be they'll take Pettigrew now.

If he lasts that long then it'll be a great pick up. If he doesn't; Shawn Nelson, Jared Cook, or Chase Coffman with the Falcons 2nd would be a good get for them.

Flynt
04-23-2009, 11:36 AM
If he lasts that long then it'll be a great pick up. If he doesn't; Shawn Nelson, Jared Cook, or Chase Coffman with the Falcons 2nd would be a good get for them.

It's a 2010 second round pick. Chiefs don't have a 2nd rounder this year.

Wigner's Friend
04-23-2009, 11:40 AM
It's a 2010 second round pick. Chiefs don't have a 2nd rounder this year.

In that case, Bear Pascoe in the 6th!

Brewtown Andy
04-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Vince Young's plan to be a starting NFL QB again. (http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2009/04/vince-youngs-plan-to-be-a-starting-nfl-quarterback-again.html)

JABSEN
04-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Vince Young's plan to be a starting NFL QB again. (http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2009/04/vince-youngs-plan-to-be-a-starting-nfl-quarterback-again.html):-|

Taxman
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
http://capitalnews9.com/default.aspx?ArID=138305

Albany Firebirds make contract offer to Michael Vick

Updated: 04/28/2009 05:20 PM
By: Web Staff

http://images.capitalnews9.com/media/2009/4/28/images/01GENERAL_firebirdshelmet.jpg

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Albany Firebirds announced Tuesday that they've offered embattled NFL quarterback Michael Vick a contract for the rest of the 2009 season.

The arenafootball2 franchise sent Vick's agent an incentive-laden, one-year offer that would go into effect as soon as Vick is reinstated by the NFL.

Vick was suspended in 2007 after pleading guilty to federal charges in connection with an illegal dog fighting business.

One of the stipulations in the offer from the Firebirds requires Vick to donate $100,000 to the Mohawk & Hudson River Humane Society.

Vick played for the Atlanta Falcons for six years.

Ryudo
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM

If he's smart and wants to get back into playing (honestly, how the heck else is he going to make all that money), then he'll take it.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
04-29-2009, 09:36 AM

He can work at a gas station during the week!

Taxman
04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/04/albany_firebirds_owners_says_m.html

Albany Firebirds' owner says Michael Vick contract offer was a bad call

http://blog.nj.com/realtimesports_impact/2009/04/large_michael-vick429.jpg

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The owner of a minor league football team that offered Michael Vick a contract told a newspaper he didn't know about the publicity stunt and would not have approved it.

"I'm a dog lover and I don't want anything to do with (Vick)," Albany Firebirds owner Walter Robb told The Times Union for a story posted on its website Tuesday night.

Earlier in the day, the team, an arena football franchise, announced it had offered the 28-year-old quarterback a one-year contract at the league standard: $200 a week plus a $50 bonus for a win.
"That's a joke," Robb said. "Can you imagine him playing for $200 a week? I think (the offer) was a big mistake."

The announcement was later pulled from the team's website.
Firebirds general manager Garen Szablewski told The Times Union the team's marketing department came up with the idea to make an offer to Vick.

"The process wasn't thought through properly," Szablewski said. "The right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing."

Vick played for the Atlanta Falcons for six seasons before being convicted of bankrolling an interstate dog fighting business.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has not said if he will lift Vick's suspension after he completes a 23-month prison sentence. Vick goes from federal prison to home confinement next month.

The Firebirds' contract offer also required Vick donate $100,000 to a local humane society.

A call to Vick's agent when the announcement of an offer was made was not immediately returned.

Taxman
05-03-2009, 03:47 PM
sucks

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090503/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_cowboys_canopy_collapse_14

Cowboys staffer paralyzed after accident

23 mins ago
IRVING, Texas – A Dallas Cowboys scouting assistant sustained permanent paralysis from the waist down after he was injured when the team's tent-like practice structure collapse in a severe storms.

The team announced that Rich Behm was in stable condition at Parkland Hospital on Sunday after surgery to stabilize a fracture that severed the spinal cord.

The 33-year-old Behm was among a dozen people hurt in the accident Saturday, and was one of three Cowboys staffers who remained hospitalized.

Joe DeCamillis, the team's special teams coach, sustained a fracture of one of his cervical vertebrae without paralysis. He was in stable condition and scheduled for surgery Monday.

Brewtown Andy
05-04-2009, 09:55 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH TORRY HOLT'S HAND? (http://withleather.uproxx.com/2009/05/torry-holts-finger-is-doing-great)

Ryudo
05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH TORRY HOLT'S HAND? (http://withleather.uproxx.com/2009/05/torry-holts-finger-is-doing-great)

Wow. :sick:

Speaking of, sports talk radio and other hot-air NFL people are talking about Favre to the Vikings. He hired a personal trainer, etc etc.

Wigner's Friend
05-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Brian Baldinger and Anthony Munoz welcome him to the Chuck Bednarik Club.

Taxman
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Speaking of, sports talk radio and other hot-air NFL people are talking about Favre to the Vikings. He hired a personal trainer, etc etc.If he came back, would that mean that John Madden would come back also?

Brewtown Andy
05-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Speaking of, sports talk radio and other hot-air NFL people are talking about Favre to the Vikings. He hired a personal trainer, etc etc.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/dwadefan/LOLpics/LOLFavre.jpg

Taxman
06-01-2009, 12:26 PM
OTL: Brandon Marshall's Past

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4219170

John Barr reports on Brandon Marshall's alleged violent past and the response from the Broncos and the league

Timeline of events: Brandon Marshall

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4216417

Brewtown Andy
06-25-2009, 09:24 PM
http://kissingsuzykolber.lg1x8.simplecdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/mcdaniels.jpg

King of Mars
06-25-2009, 09:59 PM
OTL: Brandon Marshall's Past

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4219170

Wow. I don't think there's anyone involved in that situation who has the slightest understanding of what personal responsibility is. The parents strike me as particularly dense. The Broncos and the NFL are to blame for your wacky, gold digging daughter continually putting herself in situations where she can be abused by this piece of shit? Really?!?

King of Mars
07-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I hate this shit. You just know it's a precursor to guys running around with jerseys that are adorned with all kinds of patches advertising stuff.

The Chicago Bears have joined a growing NFL trend of placing a corporate logo on their practice jerseys.

The Bears entered into a three-year partnership with NorthShore University HealthSystem, and will wear a NorthShore patch on the front of their practice jerseys.

"We are thrilled with our new NorthShore University HealthSystem partnership," said Chris Hibbs, Bears senior director of sales and marketing. "Our goal is to align our team with organizations that share our values and drive for excellence.

"NorthShore's devotion to quality care and focus on a streamlined brand message makes them an ideal business partner for the Bears. Further, we are particularly excited about NorthShore's position as the Bears first-ever practice jersey sponsor. NorthShore's high standards make them a perfect fit for this prominent Bears asset."

The NFL enacted a rule this summer allowing teams to place a corporate logo -- no larger than 3 1/2-by-4 1/2 inches -- on practice jerseys to generate additional revenue. The New York Jets and Indianapolis Colts also wear a corporate logo on their practice jerseys.

I wish someone would tell that guy to shove his 'stremlined brand message' (gag!) up his ass.