PDA

View Full Version : Reading The Chronicles of Narnia

greg donovan
01-26-2009, 05:04 PM
i have never read these books untill recently.

for those of you that have read them what order did you read them in?

i did not realize that the first book in the series was written several years after The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe was written.

i wish i had done some research and read them in the order they were published.

i was also surprised to see how short the Wardrobe was for such a long movie. they really added a lot more than i thought they did. kind of cool to see how they added stuff rather than leaving stuff out.

please label spoilers after wardrobe as i havent read past that yet.

Matt O'Keefe
01-26-2009, 05:06 PM
CS Lewis suggested reading them in chronological order:

Magician's Nephew
Lion, Witch, Wardrobe
Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
Dawn Treader
Silver Chair
Last Battle

EdNEMO
01-26-2009, 05:08 PM
When I was a kid I thought the Dawn Treader was the best book in the series.

shoelaceless
01-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I haven't read them since I was in 3rd grade or so. I know I read Wardrobe then Caspian then Voyage, but I'm not sure about the order in which I read the prequels. Come to think of it, I don't know if I ever finished The Last Battle.

BaconWhoreSqueeeaaal
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Loved the entire series, minus The Magician's Nephew. If I had started with that one, never would have finished the series.

Jef UK
01-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I think it's ridiculous they publish them in a different order now, given the ones that take place in the past are couched as histories and stories in the present. Makes no sense.

Dave S.
01-26-2009, 05:20 PM
DON'T READ THEM IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER!

Read them as written!

A Horse and his Boy and The Magician's Nephew are not good at all if you aren't already entrenched in the series and in the world of Narnia.

Dave S.
01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
EDIT: Bah, double post. minutes later.

greg donovan
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM

Read them as written!

A Horse and his Boy and The Magician's Nephew are not good at all if you aren't already entrenched in the series and in the world of Narnia.

yeah, i read Nephew first. ithought it was OK.

i have seen the two recent movies so i am spretty familiar with everything up to that point.

Nephew kind of ruins the mystery of some things.

i will continue on in order published from here on out and skip straight to caspian and treader.

thanks.

i am reading them now out of curiousity and because i am having a hard time finding a new book to read.

woljed
01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
We love that Chronic—what?—cles of Narnia.
Pass that Chronic—what?—cles of Narnia

Patch
01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I think it's ridiculous they publish them in a different order now, given the ones that take place in the past are couched as histories and stories in the present. Makes no sense.

Read them as written!

You're right.
Bought a collected volume of Narnia and the Magician's Nephew was arranged as the first book. Read it to my daughter after we saw the first movie (her enthusiasm for the movie carried us through the Magician's Nephew's poorly conceived plot and uninteresting characters).
We moved on to another author after that and shelved the collection.

But that was a couple of years ago, maybe we'll take a shot at L,W,&W soon.

Dave S.
01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I love this series. I've read through it probably 5 times now over the past 17 years or so. I'm due for another, I'll have to dig them out.

I'm not really religious. And I'm certainly not Christian. But I don't really mind the Christian references at all.

greg donovan
01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
You're right.
Bought a collected volume of Narnia and the Magician's Nephew was arranged as the first book. Read it to my daughter after we saw the first movie (her enthusiasm for the movie carried us through the Magician's Nephew's poorly conceived plot and uninteresting characters).
We moved on to another author after that and shelved the collection.

But that was a couple of years ago, maybe we'll take a shot at L,W,&W soon.

apparently all the new volumes and collections are this way.

i thought that nephew had a very retconish poorly thought out prequel feel to it so i checked the copyright dates. i had no idea they were published in the order that they were untill that point.

also, this series should NOT be collected into one big stupid paperback. to big too bulky and too heavy at 1:30 in the morning when you fall asleep reading and drop it on your chest.

Dreaded Anomaly
01-26-2009, 07:45 PM
We read the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in school, and then I got the full series pack and read them in chronological order (fuck you publishing order! :)).

I read everything in chronological order, if possible.