PDA

View Full Version : Worst Saturday Night Live.

natesutton
01-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Ever.

And the last sketch the good excuse sketch, my god, who thought they could make comedy by having 2 people stumble through bad not funny lines, and then have another person repeat that line like they cant believe it.

Slewo.O
01-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Ever.

And the last sketch the good excuse sketch, my god, who thought they could make comedy by having 2 people stumble through bad not funny lines, and then have another person repeat that line like they cant believe it.

http://ryanwhitham.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/24529565.jpg

;)

natesutton
01-17-2009, 11:27 PM
word

Slewo.O
01-17-2009, 11:28 PM
word

Seriously though. It's been said so many times now that SNL isn't that great so why are people still making it sound like it's something new?

Pat Shatner
01-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I stopped watching after the monologue. The opening sketch was less than awesome.

Pat Shatner
01-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Seriously though. It's been said so many times now that SNL isn't that great so why are people still making it sound like it's something new?

Because it's been better than total shit for the last year or so and there were some pretty excellent episodes every now and then. When an episode is absolute crap, like this one I guess, it's a little disappointing.

natesutton
01-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Most of the episodes, there is a sketch here or a sketch there that are funny, and usually one thats great. Many are not great at all. But mostly i watch it because it has two comedic actors who i think are very funny, Bill Hader and Andy Samberg.

And the digital shorts are generally good, In my opinion at least.

I just dont think ive ever seen an episode of this that was this not funny.

natesutton
01-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Because it's been better than total shit for the last year or so and there were some pretty excellent episodes every now and then. When an episode is absolute crap, like this one I guess, it's a little disappointing.

Or what he said.

Mattman
01-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Gily, are you another shitty Kristen Wiig character that isn't funny to be begin with but is still destined to be run into the ground in future episodes? Gily? Gilyyyyyyy...

FedEx Fanboy
01-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Whatever. Fleet Foxes and Rosario was jiggling around again like in Clerks II...

Too bad we didn't get any tongue action.

http://blogzarro.com/images/geek_honeys/rosario_animated.gif

natesutton
01-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Whatever. Fleet Foxes and Rosario was jiggling around again like in Clerks II...

Too bad we didn't get any tongue action.

http://blogzarro.com/images/geek_honeys/rosario_animated.gif

they didnt use her boobage near enough, the salma hayek thing was the perfect chance to give us a huge dose of the rosarioettes, but that didnt happen.

FedEx Fanboy
01-18-2009, 12:30 AM
they didnt use her boobage near enough, the salma hayek thing was the perfect chance to give us a huge dose of the rosarioettes, but that didnt happen.

Yea, she didn't come off as "smart" as I remembered her being...

Oh and everything else was bad. Really bad.

XXXenophile
01-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Gily, are you another shitty Kristen Wiig character that isn't funny to be begin with but is still destined to be run into the ground in future episodes? Gily? Gilyyyyyyy...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Not that I don't think she's talented but she's got the worst set of regular characters for this show.

XXXenophile
01-18-2009, 12:46 AM
I thought the spanish cop show written by 4th graders was actually funny.

But that's cause I remember what spanish class was like in junior high and high school and I watched a lot of Destinos as a teenager. :-)

leviathan
01-18-2009, 01:55 AM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Not that I don't think she's talented but she's got the worst set of regular characters for this show.

Eh...as far as I'm concerned, if she's talented, she seems to keep it well hidden. Hate her on SNL and have hated every single character she's come up with. I really don't get the love for her.

BENDIS!
01-18-2009, 02:03 AM
agree

Shwicaz
01-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Perhaps there should be an 'Official Saturday Night Live Thread', like there is for most other shows...? (the shield, top chef, damages, etc) as opposed to a weekly "SNL was shitty" or 'SNL was great" thread every weekend.....

Fake Pat
01-18-2009, 03:59 AM
agree

Ditto.

Bervda
01-18-2009, 04:12 AM
I heart Wiig. So there.

Haven't watched this week yet, it's on the DVR. You guys aren't filling me with hope.

bartleby
01-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Yeah, I usually down on the side of the SNL apologists, but there was really almost nothing positive to be said about this episode. It felt like as much of a chore as watching Oliver Stone's ALEXANDER, only this time Rosario Dawson didn't show her boobs.

Evan Wiener
01-18-2009, 04:45 AM
I fell asleep during the first sketch. I didn't even make it to the title cards or monologue. Maybe that should be a gauge of how good the rest of the show will be.

Kristen Wiig is given very little to work with. She's far more funny when given subtlety, not over the top silliness.

I remember Weekend Update being hysterical last week, though. There's still hope.

dasNdanger
01-18-2009, 05:09 AM
SNL hasn't been funny in years. It used to be smart comedy that didn't have to 'force' the laugh, and the characters were great. My favorite will always be Roseanne Roseannadanna...that character always made me lmao.

Also loved Father Guido Sarducci. :) And loved all the other greats in those early years.

But those were the golden years for SNL, and...well...over the past two decades, the show has greatly deteriorated. I feel like I'm watching a show geared to 12-year old boys, and not to adults. I think the last time I was able to sit through an entire show was back when Lovitz was the pathelogical liar...maybe one or two other shows in the early 90s...but just can't stomach it now. Mad TV has been funnier, IMHO.

das

leafinsectman
01-18-2009, 05:16 AM
Is it just me or can they not end their sketches? When it ends I'm always left saying "wait, is that it?" I watch it because my wife still finds it kinda amusing but I hate myself whenever I finish watching it.

Foolish Mortal
01-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Every single SNL show since the very beginning has had really awful sketches. And that includes the "Classic" SNL performers.

There's a reason why you only see 'Best Of SNL' DVDs and not complete episodes because they won't put the abysmal sketches on them.

Mr. E!
01-18-2009, 05:40 AM
Every single SNL show since the very beginning has had really awful sketches. And that includes the "Classic" SNL performers.

There's a reason why you only see 'Best Of SNL' DVDs and not complete episodes because they won't put the abysmal sketches on them.

Ahem...
http://www.amazon.com/Saturday-Night-Live-Complete-Season/dp/B000JLQPYK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232289610&sr=8-2
They have been releasing DVD box sets of the complete seasons every 6 months for the last 2 years. Season 4 just came out last month.

Foolish Mortal
01-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Ahem...
http://www.amazon.com/Saturday-Night-Live-Complete-Season/dp/B000JLQPYK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232289610&sr=8-2
They have been releasing DVD box sets of the complete seasons every 6 months for the last 2 years. Season 4 just came out last month.
Ah, that's cool. Now go buy it, watch it, and see how many times you have to fast-forward through parts of it. Many of the old skits fall like a lead balloon.

Thommy Melanson
01-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Yeah, there wasn't one funny sketch - or even line - in the whole show.

I'm usually the one that defends SNL to a comedy snob friend of mine, I just hope to hell he didn't watch last night's ep.

It's indefensible.

Mr. E!
01-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Ah, that's cool. Now go buy it, watch it, and see how many times you have to fast-forward through parts of it. Many of the old skits fall like a lead balloon.

I never said they didn't. I was just informing you about how amazingly wrong you were when you said they'd never release complete episodes. I have no desire to own any of them...god the Jim Henson stuff alone from the first season would be enough to make me swear off both SNL and the Muppets if I ever saw them again.

lonesomefool
01-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Kristen Wiig might be the worst cast member ever.

Seriously, she is just awful. It's like she meant to be on MAD TV and stumbled into an SNL audition instead and nobody has told her the two are different.

Every sketch she is in, she is awful.

Fake Pat
01-18-2009, 06:16 AM

Seriously, she is just awful. It's like she meant to be on MAD TV and stumbled into an SNL audition instead and nobody has told her the two are different.

You are so fucking wrong here that it actually hurts.

Wiig is fantastic. The show is dragging her down. They're leaning on her waaaaay too hard, and it's showing.

Mr. E!
01-18-2009, 06:33 AM

Terry Sweeney
Peter Ackroyd
Denny Dillon
Sarah Silverman
Christine Ebersole
The entire 1981 cast with the exceptions of Murphy, Piscopo, and Kazurinski

I don't know this Wiig of which you speak, but keep in mind what a bold statement Wost Cast Member Ever is...

silverboy
01-18-2009, 06:49 AM
It seemed like everyone of Rosario's sketches were based around her being non-white. Dumb.

And what was with the all-Spanish sketch? You could hear a pin drop in the audience during that one.

lonesomefool
01-18-2009, 07:05 AM
You are so fucking wrong here that it actually hurts.

Wiig is fantastic. The show is dragging her down. They're leaning on her waaaaay too hard, and it's showing.

She plays the same fucking character every week basically. Super annoying woman. They just change the outfit or her characters name, but that's what she does week in, week out.

Sorry, but I dont see it. She has less of a hit rate than Andy Samberg and he is awful as well most of the time.

lonesomefool
01-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Terry Sweeney
Peter Ackroyd
Denny Dillon
Sarah Silverman
Christine Ebersole
The entire 1981 cast with the exceptions of Murphy, Piscopo, and Kazurinski

I don't know this Wiig of which you speak, but keep in mind what a bold statement Wost Cast Member Ever is...

I have never been more annoyed by a cast member. The last cast member that annoyed me as much as she does was Molly Shannon.

Mark4myself
01-18-2009, 07:07 AM
I tried watching some of it but after the Spanish cops and the View I gave in and turned over to sleep. It was pretty bad.

bartleby
01-18-2009, 07:08 AM
And what was with the all-Spanish sketch? You could hear a pin drop in the audience during that one.

I thought the Spanish class sketch may have been the only thing close to being funny.

Mister Mets
01-18-2009, 07:08 AM
I thought the Aladdin thing was great. And the Mexican cops thing was funny.

There have definitely been weaker episodes.

sto110
01-18-2009, 07:12 AM
only watched 5 min, the aladdin sketch was ok but the one after was unwatchable

Fake Pat
01-18-2009, 07:12 AM
I thought the Spanish class sketch may have been the only thing close to being funny.

It was a good concept, but they didn't sell it at all.

Thommy Melanson
01-18-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone at SNL actually watches the Digital Shorts before they air.

Maybe they found it amusing because Samberg and Armisen are friends and co-workers, but I'd be amazed if any viewer in the general public even chuckled at it.

bartleby
01-18-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone at SNL actually watches the Digital Shorts before they air.

Maybe they found it amusing because Samberg and Armisen are friends and co-workers, but I'd be amazed if any viewer in the general public even chuckled at it.

I think sometimes the Digital Shorts fall under the Andy Kaufman rules for comedy. With Kaufman, if a joke amused him greatly, it didn't matter what the audience thought.

Thommy Melanson
01-18-2009, 07:36 AM
I thought the Aladdin thing was great. And the Mexican cops thing was funny.

There have definitely been weaker episodes.

I dunno, man.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a weaker episode than last night's in recent memory.

Even Weekend Update was shit, and that's usually the show's oasis of funny.

Ben Rosen
01-18-2009, 07:42 AM
i missed it - was it really worse than that deniro episode from a few years back?

Fake Pat
01-18-2009, 08:29 AM
i missed it - was it really worse than that deniro episode from a few years back?

Yes.

By a mile. I've never heard an audience that consistently dead through an entire episode.

Taxman
01-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Gily, are you another shitty Kristen Wiig character that isn't funny to be begin with but is still destined to be run into the ground in future episodes? Gily? Gilyyyyyyy...I saw this only.

This was terrible.

RickLM
01-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Man, now I'm really eager to watch this trainwreck when they re-run it. Which will probably happen three-four weeks from now.

I always want SNL to succeed, and I get tired of people reflexively calling it crap when its not, but last night sounds like a bomb.

Dark Sasha
01-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I am surprised I liked the band.

Fake Pat
01-18-2009, 08:41 AM
I surprised I liked the band.

You surprised?

I shocked!

Taxman
01-18-2009, 08:42 AM
You surprised?

I shocked!We, very angry.

Dark Sasha
01-18-2009, 08:42 AM
You surprised?

I shocked!

I edited!

Zeppe
01-18-2009, 08:50 AM
:mistrust: Shocked you liked the Fleet Foxes??

Dark Sasha
01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
:mistrust: Shocked you liked the Fleet Foxes??
Well I don't really care for the indie bands they put on the show. I feel like they try way to hard and normally the performance suck.

This didn't. I dug it.

silverboy
01-18-2009, 09:20 AM
While I was watching the band, all I could think is "why are they on SNL??" Now, I didn't not like them...they were just really different.

Caley Tibbittz
01-18-2009, 09:40 AM
I dunno, man.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a weaker episode than last night's in recent memory.

Even Weekend Update was shit, and that's usually the show's oasis of funny.

I enjoyed this Weekend Update segment. The rest of the episode was pretty bland.

FedEx Fanboy
01-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Fleet Foxes Fucking Rule.

Bitches better recognize!

Spidey616
01-18-2009, 09:43 AM
No more Gilley. :no:

Masculine Todd
01-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I only tuned in for Fleet Foxes, which didn't disappoint.

Masculine Todd
01-18-2009, 09:51 AM
While I was watching the band, all I could think is "why are they on SNL??" Now, I didn't not like them...they were just really different.

They're among the most hyped new contemporary Freak Folk bands, receiving praise from everyone from the indie-elite blogosphere to the major publications as well as selling in the 100,000 units, which is huge for a Sub Pop band.

They're this year's Vampire Weekend in terms of "pseudo-indie hype band that can deliver."

Albert
01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
SNL hasn't been funny in years. It used to be smart comedy that didn't have to 'force' the laugh, and the characters were great. My favorite will always be Roseanne Roseannadanna...that character always made me lmao.

Also loved Father Guido Sarducci. :) And loved all the other greats in those early years.

But those were the golden years for SNL, and...well...over the past two decades, the show has greatly deteriorated. I feel like I'm watching a show geared to 12-year old boys, and not to adults. I think the last time I was able to sit through an entire show was back when Lovitz was the pathelogical liar...maybe one or two other shows in the early 90s...but just can't stomach it now. Mad TV has been funnier, IMHO.

das

Also, what's with kids using curse words?

Caley Tibbittz
01-18-2009, 10:17 AM
No more Gilley. :no:

I liked the character, but the skit itself was very thin and repetitive.

Masculine Todd
01-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Every week, there will invariably be the "SNL is actually good again" or "well, SNL has truly become shit, just as it has been devolving for years."

Good times. However, despite being 21, I have been watching the season box sets and have viewed quite a few of the '80s and '90s episodes through friends and I must say, it would appear the show's always been a mixed bag, which is to be expected of a 30 plus year old sketch comedy show.

Some weeks have great sketches, good sketches and horrid sketches. Some weeks have more of one that the others. This is merely my observation.

Foolish Mortal
01-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Every week, there will invariably be the "SNL is actually good again" or "well, SNL has truly become shit, just as it has been devolving for years."

Good times. However, despite being 21, I have been watching the season box sets and have viewed quite a few of the '80s and '90s episodes through friends and I must say, it would appear the show's always been a mixed bag, which is to be expected of a 30 plus year old sketch comedy show.

Some weeks have great sketches, good sketches and horrid sketches. Some weeks have more of one that the others. This is merely my observation.
Exactly my point. :)

TomBelandTSSTG
01-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I thought it was awesome. I'm getting the dvd when it comes out.

BGPu
01-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Didn't see the episode, but based on what I saw last week I'm not surprised people think it was terrible. They hit on a goldmine last fall with the Tina Fey as Sarah Palin guest spots and the election skits. Beyond that, those episodes were pretty terrible and now without those gimmicks to fall back on the show sucks top to bottom.

Wiig seems to have been given the role of playing the deranged middle aged woman in every other skit they do. It's very old. And Samberg is totally overrated.

Drew
01-18-2009, 01:39 PM
They need a new showrunner. A.K.A. This wouldn't be happening if Lorne Michaels was still alive. And what's Neil Brennan doing?

Masculine Todd
01-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Exactly my point. :)

Great minds...

EdNEMO
01-18-2009, 01:42 PM
It couldn't possibly be worse than the Steven Segal hosted episode.

BENDIS!
01-18-2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/18/snl-web-exclusive-ann-cou_n_158849.html

EdNEMO
01-18-2009, 01:48 PM
They need a new showrunner. A.K.A. This wouldn't be happening if Lorne Michaels was still alive. And what's Neil Brennan doing?

? I think Lorne is still alive. Or is this an example of a joke that the people from my planet are unable to understand.

bartleby
01-18-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/18/snl-web-exclusive-ann-cou_n_158849.html

I don't understand why they have a woman playing Ann Coulter. Couldn't Andy Samberg have done it instead of the goose thing?

EdNEMO
01-18-2009, 01:49 PM

Haha!

RebootedCorpse
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM
My god, it was just awful.

Drew
01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
? I think Lorne is still alive. Or is this an example of a joke that the people from my planet are unable to understand.

Lorne is alive. It just seems as if he is putting out as much effort for the show as a corpse would.

EdNEMO
01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Lorne is alive. It just seems as if he is putting out as much effort for the show as a corpse would.

When you put it like that, it seems you are right and he is dead for all intended purposes.

Ultimate Lurker
01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
The Paul Rudd episode was amazing, one of the best episodes in years.

mlpeters
01-18-2009, 03:40 PM

I didn't stick around to see the band and while I've heard and heard of The Fleet Foxes (an NPR station has two "alternative/indie rock hours per week), I can't place them...

I like SNL having very "different" indie bands - - I remember back in the late '80s when they had The Sugercubes, before anyone had ever heard of Bjork.

That opening political sketch (often the best part of the show, at least when Fey was doing Palin...) was very unfunny. We KNOW Cheney's a heartless bastard. We don't need... what, two minutes (felt like fifteen) of the same joke told over and over.

I like Rosario, but her monologue... I didn't watch the whole thing. It was beyond stupid.

BrianLynch
01-18-2009, 04:24 PM
All they needed was jokes and that episode would have been awesome.

Good cast currently, but the writing, not-so-much.

iGotKittyPryde
01-18-2009, 04:38 PM
The Fleet Foxes were fucking great.

I'll admit to fast-forwarding past everything except Weekend Update which wasn't very good.

But but Fleet Foxes!

iGotKittyPryde
01-18-2009, 04:43 PM
They're among the most hyped new contemporary Freak Folk bands, receiving praise from everyone from the indie-elite blogosphere to the major publications as well as selling in the 100,000 units, which is huge for a Sub Pop band.

They're this year's Vampire Weekend in terms of "pseudo-indie hype band that can deliver."

Freak folk? Really? I wouldn't say so.

I would also add they were near the top of tons of Top 10 lists, with the only band getting more attention in them (as per MetaCritic's culling together of top 10 lists) was TV on the Radio's Dear Science.

They're pretty fabulous, though.

Masculine Todd
01-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Freak folk? Really? I wouldn't say so.

I would also add they were near the top of tons of Top 10 lists, with the only band getting more attention in them (as per MetaCritic's culling together of top 10 lists) was TV on the Radio's Dear Science.

They're pretty fabulous, though.

Not in the conventional "Banhart, Vetiver, Newsom" vain, but yes, they're not Folk in the archetypal sense and share certain compositional characteristics with Freak Folk acts.

iGotKittyPryde
01-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Not in the conventional "Banhart, Vetiver, Newsom" vain, but yes, they're not Folk in the archetypal sense and share certain compositional characteristics with Freak Folk acts.

Hmm, I suppose. I find them hard to classify. And yet I tend to think 'freak folk' isn't a big enough genre to hold both conventional and unconventional variations.

Masculine Todd
01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Hmm, I suppose. I find them hard to classify. And yet I tend to think 'freak folk' isn't a big enough genre to hold both conventional and unconventional variations.

There's frequent tribal chanting and non-linear compositions that start and end without refrain; both of which are characteristics of Freak Folk, but ultimately, they're an amalgamation of various sounds. They have a distinct Baroque sound.

ManOfMiracles
01-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I have never been able to watch SNL, and since the beginning of the Presidential Election, all they have done is show that presidential special over and over and over....Hell, it's on NOW.....but the funny thing is, I realized that I have seen Tina Fey impersonate Sara Palin more than I have seen the real Sara Palin......

Girlfriend In A Coma
01-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Finally watching it now... I hate Kristin Wiig so
fucking much.

natesutton
01-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Its sad to see, because wiig had a really small almost throw away roll in Knocked Up, but she fucking killed it, she was one of my favorite characters in that movie, i thought she showed real promise, but her characters, at least on snl, are getting more and more the same and more and more unfunny. Maybe its the writing, i dont know, but the cast, at least to me, seems to have alot of promise, maybe its them just not trying to find where the edge is anymore, its pretty tame.

natesutton
01-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Its sad to see, because wiig had a really small almost throw away roll in Knocked Up, but she fucking killed it, she was one of my favorite characters in that movie, i thought she showed real promise, but her characters, at least on snl, are getting more and more the same and more and more unfunny. Maybe its the writing, i dont know, but the cast, at least to me, seems to have alot of promise, maybe its them just not trying to find where the edge is anymore, its pretty tame.

XXXenophile
01-18-2009, 11:04 PM
I tried watching some of it but after the Spanish cops and the View I gave in and turned over to sleep. It was pretty bad.

The View sketch I liked but let's face it, that's so everyone can justifiably rip on Hasselbeck. The existence of View sketches have always been "pick on the young blond co-host".

Casali
01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Worst ever?

Not even close.

If the credits don't have the names Denny Dillon, Gilbert Gottfried, and Gail Matthius or Chris Elliot, Michael McKean, and Janeane Garofalo in them, it can't even contend to be in the bottom 10.

Seriously dismal seasons

greg donovan
01-19-2009, 09:15 PM
so i finally managed to stay awake and finish this.

yeah, it is pretty bad.

i started laughing at the gilly one but more because the concept was so absurdly aweful than it being funny.

Travis M. Bierwagen
01-20-2009, 12:48 AM
I did enjoy seeing Rosario as Princess Jasmine.

They probably should of made a sketch out of the writer's pitch for that one... :)

"Now Rosario what we wanna do is... dress you up like a Disney Princess!"

Prime
01-20-2009, 01:31 AM
I liked the preschool sketch.

The gervais impression seemed good at the start, but it was obvious after that he hadn't really got it.

and let's face it Rosario as princess Jasmine was pretty good to look at.

siren3-4
01-20-2009, 04:15 AM
And Samberg is totally overrated.

I couldn't disagree more . . .

I actually really like this cast . . . a lot of bad in this weeks show though . . .

Mylazycat
01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I liked the preschool sketch.

The gervais impression seemed good at the start, but it was obvious after that he hadn't really got it.

and let's face it Rosario as princess Jasmine was pretty good to look at.

The Princess Jasmine sketch was good and the clevage in the View one was nice, a couple of jokes, but some bad stuff, definately the weakest episode of this season. Seen worse all time, though.