PDA

View Full Version : Deca=10, so Pentalogue?

Jef UK
06-16-2005, 09:11 AM
I guess I'm pretty unobservant (or rather, the title of the arch is extrememly misleading), but when I got the end of Daredevil last night, I was shocked to see that I was reading Part 4 of 5. Mr. Bendis, why bother writing a story based around the Ten Commandments, only to use five of them, and then title the story-arc, "Decalogue?" It would be akin to writing an arc titled "The Beaver Trilogy," as inspired by three species of beaver, as written in two parts, and only utilizing two speceis of beaver. It seems as though you only half-realized your original concept. Which is fine, but it would follow that you would alter the title and marketing of said concept once you had actually written it (like when you formulate a hypothesis for a term paper, and then have to change your thesis sentence based upon the conclusion you actually came to once having written the body of the work). So, what's the reason for telling a Decalogue in five parts? Also: beaver.

Smokinblues
06-16-2005, 09:13 AM
or it could be two 5 part arcs.

bartleby
06-16-2005, 09:14 AM
The story itself isn't a decalogue. The title is a reference to The Decalogue -- the Ten Commandments.

nihilance
06-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally I thought it was 10 issues...but then Bendis said it wasn't just that there were 10 parts that corresponded with the 10 commandments. So some issues might have 2-3 stories in them (some maybe only a page long) but that doesn't seem to have happened either. Unless we get a several chaptered story in the next issue (is it oversized being #75?...I hadn't heard it was).

Jef UK
06-16-2005, 09:49 AM
The story itself isn't a decalogue. The title is a reference to The Decalogue -- the Ten Commandments.

Understood. But 4 of the 5 issues have born one of the Ten Commandments on their covers. I assumed, rightfully so I think, that each of the issues bearing a commandment, would speak individually to said commandment, and thereby, each commandment would be listed in its turn (rather than multiple commandments bearing upon a single issue, as mentioned elsewhere). And whether or not the title of the arc is an allusion to some other work, it still stands to reason that naming a story essentially, "Ten Books," equates to a work that will itself be ten books. If I had read Bendis' initial announcement stating that the run was only going to be five issues, I still would have raised the same question, just sooner. Perhaps, "Pentateuch," would have been a more appropriate appelation, seeing as all ten Commandments don't seem to be coming (obstensibly) into play; plus, said name would still allude to the "I am your God," aspect of the story. But whatevs, I like the story: I was just caught off gaurd (and wish it were 10 issues long! :wink: )

nihilance
06-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Decalogue was the name of a movie Bendis liked a lot and he swiped it and combined the idea with the 10 commandments.

ItsDLEVY
06-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Decalogue was the name of a movie Bendis liked a lot and he swiped it and combined the idea with the 10 commandments.

Close. The movie Decalogue was similarly themed around the 10 commandments.

I'm also confused about how/if Bendis is tackling the other five, but I like the arc enough that I won't care if he doesn't. I sort of suspect that after all five issues are out, it might be clearer.

Incidentally, because someone got it wrong in this thread, and I saw it used incorrectly in a comic book....

arc = a shape that looks like this: n also a storyline within a bigger on-going story

arch = an architectural feature in the shape of an arc

ark = a big boat; also a closet