PDA

View Full Version : Fox eyes more comedies, cancels 'Prison Break'

BENDIS!
01-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Fox eyes more comedies, cancels 'Prison Break'
(Hollywood Reporter) – Fox is staging a comedy reboot.

The network, whose sole live-action comedy "'Til Death" was recently renewed for another season despite low ratings, said Tuesday it plans to greenlight five comedy pilots in the next week.

"We're doubling down our commitment to comedy, and we're rebuilding the live-action comedy brand," Fox Entertainment president Kevin Reilly said during the network's portion of the Television Critics Assn.'s winter press tour.

Reilly said he plans five comedy pilots for fall and at least five dramas. Also in contention for fall will be a reshot version of the sci-fi comedy "Boldly Going Nowhere," originally developed for midseason, and Ron Moore's "Virtuality" pilot is being overhauled.

"It could air as-is and a certain segment of the audience would flip for it," Reilly said. "But it's a little dense."

Reilly also confirmed that this is the final season for "Prison Break." In addition to the remaining four episodes, there's a possibility of a couple more episodes being shot.

The show is just played out," Reilly said. "Creatively, everybody feels enough stories have been told. ... We want to finish strong and not just gimp out next season. They have a cool ending."

Fox also will seat its Mitch Hurwitz animated comedy "Sit Down, Shut Up" on April 19, filling in the "King of the Hill" slot on Sundays at 8:30 p.m. after "The Simpsons." "Sit Down" will take over after "King" has its series finale.

Reilly hinted heavily that J.J. Abrams' sci-fi thriller "Fringe" will be back for another season.

"It's a keeper," he said of the show, which will soon benefit from a lead-in from "American Idol." "They've really found the storytelling model now. What you're going to see in the second half of the year. The stories really do reset themselves each week. ... I would not expect it to take off after 'Idol,' but I do think it will tick up another level."

"Fringe" has benefited from a new programing model, RemoteFreeTV, where advertisers pay a premium to sponsor the show in exchange for half as many commercials running during the show. Reilly characterized the experiment as a success, but was unsure if the network would be able to persuade advertisers to do it again.

"Viewer feedback was great. ... Advertisers were very happy. ... Studies showed retention was high," he said after the panel. "But not every advertiser wants to pay that premium."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Armored Dildo
01-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Fox eyes more comedies, cancels 'Prison Break'
(Hollywood Reporter) – Fox is staging a comedy reboot.

The network, whose sole live-action comedy "'Til Death" was recently renewed for another season despite low ratings, said Tuesday it plans to greenlight five comedy pilots in the next week.

"We're doubling down our commitment to comedy, and we're rebuilding the live-action comedy brand," Fox Entertainment president Kevin Reilly said during the network's portion of the Television Critics Assn.'s winter press tour.

Reilly said he plans five comedy pilots for fall and at least five dramas. Also in contention for fall will be a reshot version of the sci-fi comedy "Boldly Going Nowhere," originally developed for midseason, and Ron Moore's "Virtuality" pilot is being overhauled.

"It could air as-is and a certain segment of the audience would flip for it," Reilly said. "But it's a little dense."

Reilly also confirmed that this is the final season for "Prison Break." In addition to the remaining four episodes, there's a possibility of a couple more episodes being shot.

The show is just played out," Reilly said. "Creatively, everybody feels enough stories have been told. ... We want to finish strong and not just gimp out next season. They have a cool ending."

Fox also will seat its Mitch Hurwitz animated comedy "Sit Down, Shut Up" on April 19, filling in the "King of the Hill" slot on Sundays at 8:30 p.m. after "The Simpsons." "Sit Down" will take over after "King" has its series finale.

Reilly hinted heavily that J.J. Abrams' sci-fi thriller "Fringe" will be back for another season.

"It's a keeper," he said of the show, which will soon benefit from a lead-in from "American Idol." "They've really found the storytelling model now. What you're going to see in the second half of the year. The stories really do reset themselves each week. ... I would not expect it to take off after 'Idol,' but I do think it will tick up another level."

"Fringe" has benefited from a new programing model, RemoteFreeTV, where advertisers pay a premium to sponsor the show in exchange for half as many commercials running during the show. Reilly characterized the experiment as a success, but was unsure if the network would be able to persuade advertisers to do it again.

"Viewer feedback was great. ... Advertisers were very happy. ... Studies showed retention was high," he said after the panel. "But not every advertiser wants to pay that premium."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Nuts! That's me they're talking about. :-?

I'm glad Prison Break is ending. I mean that in the best possible way.

I'm also glad they're giving Fringe a chance. I like everything about that show except the acting. Which would normally be a problem, but the everything else gets better and better.

Meteornotes
01-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Prison Break was so much better this year than last. But it is indeed time to end it. Hopefully it has a decent ending.

I love Fringe, and hope it does come back next year.

And I would personally love something on TV that is "dense". But I would guess i"m in the minority of TV viewers when it comes to that.

dt

Joe Henderson
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Yay more comedies!!!

Mylazycat
01-13-2009, 07:58 PM
I gave up on Fringe, maybe I should give it another try. Or maybe wait for DVD.

Prison Break I never watched but I always found it funny they managed to have a show stay on so long past it's premise being concluded.

Nick Spencer
01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm watching Fringe via Hulu now, and 5 episodes in, I like it okay but definitely don't love it, despite really wanting to. I'm a JJ Abrams fanboy 100 percent, and I hope it grows into something great.

I see no reason to brag about stories resetting themselves weekly, personally.

Armored Dildo
01-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I gave up on Fringe, maybe I should give it another try. Or maybe wait for DVD.

Prison Break I never watched but I always found it funny they managed to have a show stay on so long past it's premise being concluded.

Did you see the episode of Fringe with a bald white dude? That's all I'll say. EDIT: This isn't some obscure Bendis jab or anything.

Prison Break : It is very silly. Especially this current season: Could have been a new show, has barely any relation to the rest of the other seasons, which is a large reason why it is a good season overall. Frankly, I've followed it out of sheer habit.

Pick The System!
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Fringe has been good so far. It's good to see John Noble on tv. Hopefully it doesn't stray off course...

LenNWallace
01-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Man, two new shows I'm really looking forward too. Sit Down, Shut Up, and Boldly Going Nowhere. Everything I've heard about either sounds aces, and I love all the people involved. (The creators of Arrested Development and It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia respectively)

Mr. Sean
01-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Boldly Going Nowhere needs a new title, badly.

WinterRose
01-14-2009, 05:24 AM
I still can't figure out why Ron Moore would blow his rep on a doofy fox thing like Virtuality when they're only going to cancel it in the first 6 to 12 episodes anyway when he could be doing Pern instead. Dude, what the fuck?

cPol
01-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Fringe has been good so far. It's good to see John Noble on tv.

Noble's the whole reason I watch that show. Maybe it's because his character makes the most sense to me, which if you think about it, is a little bit scary that I can identify with him the best.

Foolish Mortal
01-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Since they're canceling Prison Break, I guess that means the spin-off show they were planning is off the table too. Oh well, it was a fun ride. I hope they have a good wrap up.

Glad Fringe is being brought back. I really like it.

Til' Death, I just don't get it. One of the most most unfunny comedies I have ever had the displeasure to watch. A comedy like this depends on the main stars having chemistry. Brad Garrett and Joely Fisher have NO chemistry at all. Zero. It doesn't work. The only reason I can see that they're renewing it is because it's cheaper to produce than an hour long drama.

McAfee
01-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Prisonbreak is the best it's been since Season 1, and sometimes even better. But I'm glad it'll be cancelled because I'm afraid that we'd get another season like 2 or 3.

Good for Fringe. I'm enjoying it greatly now that some of the pieces are coming together.

LenNWallace
01-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Boldly Going Nowhere needs a new title, badly.

I love it.