PDA

View Full Version : I have never played Bioshock...

Mike_Johnson
01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Both of my good friends who love FPS games said it was very mediocre but I keep hearing good things about it. I'm sure a lot of you classy folks here have played it. Pros? Cons? Still worth getting?

Kirblar
01-12-2009, 07:33 PM
It's not a CS-Unreal type competitive FPS- it's very story-based.

It's amazing until the last boss, who's really underwhelming. But otherwise it's amazing.

Briomega
01-12-2009, 07:35 PM
It's got an incredible atmosphere and the story is excellent up to a point. It's definitely worth playing.

Armored Dildo
01-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I really liked it a lot. I also tend to think that it's not the most challenging FPS overall once you get a hang of all your options.

One thing though, if you are planing to play it on PC, make sure you have a decent graphics card (Anything made in the last sixteen months will do the trick): BioShock has the best DirectX 10 implementation I have yet to see.

Briomega
01-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I really liked it a lot. I also tend to think that it's not the most challenging FPS overall once you get a hang of all your options.

One thing though, if you are planing to play it on PC, make sure you have a decent graphics card (Anything made in the last sixteen months will do the trick): BioShock has the best DirectX 10 implementation I have yet to see.

It's not, but then I don't think it was ever meant to be challenging as a FPS. Especially with the Vitae-Chambers.

WillieLee
01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
You get to kill Objectivists, so that was fun.

Mike_Johnson
01-12-2009, 07:48 PM

I have a PS3, so graphics cards and such mean nothing to me. :)

By the way, the reason I ask is that I saw the game pretty cheap (for next gen games anyway) and was considering a purchase.

Armored Dildo
01-12-2009, 07:48 PM
You get to kill Objectivists, so that was fun.

:thumb:

Briomega
01-12-2009, 07:49 PM

By the way, the reason I ask is that I saw the game pretty cheap (for next gen games anyway) and was considering a purchase.

How cheap? It's really more of a rental than a purchase, unless it's real cheap.

You won't get much replay out of it.

Armored Dildo
01-12-2009, 07:50 PM
It's not, but then I don't think it was ever meant to be challenging as a FPS. Especially with the Vitae-Chambers.

I agree. Just that some FPS-pros I know got tired of it really fast: The style didn't sustain their attention.

Armored Dildo
01-12-2009, 07:51 PM

Nice, all that extra content, including multiplayer!

Mike_Johnson
01-12-2009, 07:51 PM
How cheap? It's really more of a rental than a purchase, unless it's real cheap.

You won't get much replay out of it.

I found it for 30ish. Don't remember the exact price but much better that the 59.99 price tag on most games.

Mike_Johnson
01-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Nice, all that extra content, including multiplayer!

Wait, the PS3 version has bonus content? That's a first (looking at you Fallout 3).

Briomega
01-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I found it for 30ish. Don't remember the exact price but much better that the 59.99 price tag on most games.

Not bad. It's definitely worth playing but like I said, there's really no replay value in it. Maybe that stuff they added on the PS3 will make it last a bit longer though.

Humphrey_Lee
01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm playing through it right now and I like it quite a bit. I can see why it got all the GOTY accolades it did last year, but it's definitely not "perfect". If I were playing it last year when it came out I may have had reservations (I have a PS3 so I just got it a couple months ago), but looking at it and what came out last year in hindsight, it probably deserved it. You want Pros and Cons? No problem.

Pros: Gorgeous setting. Lots of depth and detail in the actual levels and the presentation is very engaging.
- Probably the first time I've ever played a dedicated shooter that's presented itself as caring as much about its story as it does putting the next thing for you to shoot in the head in front of you.
- Lots of moral ambiguity, on your part with the Little Sisters (depending on how you play), and just in the kinds of things you find went down in Rapture as it went to hell.
- Love the plasmid system, and it has a decent variety in guns/weapons.
- The Big Daddies. Fucking awesome to behold and intimidating as hell.

Cons: Possibly too much going on on screen at once. There's so many neon signs and things laying about it's easy to miss items and also easy to just look past enemies until they're up on you and pummeling you.
- Scenarios designed blatantly to tax your ammo supply and cash you out as you restock on items (meaning, there'll be scenarios in the game where there's almost no doubt you're going to have to engage so many enemies that you're going to get tapped on your best ammo and use a lot of Health Items and Plasmid rechargers to get through, and then use all your cash buying the shit back. It's uber annoying).
- Hacking. At first it's kind of neat. You can hack vending machines for cheaper prices and security cameras and turrets to aid you and all that fun stuff... until you find yourself hacking you 700th fucking vending machine because you don't want to trek all the way back to the last out you did to restock on Eve.
- The gameplay itself. Kind of like Fallout 3, it seems more the combat is there more as something you do in order to advance the story. It's okay overall, but nothing spectacular (though it is fun as hell to shock someone and smack them in the face with a wrench). The story is the real drive here though so it's okay.

But yeah, excellent game despite its flaws. I'd rate it around a 9-9.5ish (we'll see depending on how the ending is. I've got 3 levels to go still). Play it, it's worth it.

Mike_Johnson
01-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks Humphrey. Pretty in-depth review there.

I'm leaning toward giving it a go.

Kurt Russell Crowe
01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
I liked the game a lot but I didn't get all that far into it. There's a SHIT TON of scavenging and I couldn't stand that shit any longer, and a lot of the stuff that's cool to do for a few times just gets tedious as hell. Keeping track of different ammo types and weapons and what kills each bad guy the fastest and all the 400 different systems of upgrades and building things...just not that much fun after awhile. One man's opinion.

Mike_Johnson
01-12-2009, 08:25 PM
How long does the game take to beat? Are we looking at a Halo or a Fallout?

Briomega
01-12-2009, 08:28 PM
How long does the game take to beat? Are we looking at a Halo or a Fallout?

It's about average for these games these days. 12-15 hours or so depending on your play style. You could play it again to see the other side of the Little Sisters stuff but it's not really worth it and you can find the story stuff online.

Armored Dildo
01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
It's about average for these games these days. 12-15 hours or so depending on your play style. You could play it again to see the other side of the Little Sisters stuff but it's not really worth it and you can find the story stuff online.

Whoa WHAT?! :scared:

Mike_Johnson
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Whoa WHAT?! :scared:

I guarantee this has nothing to do with dildos.

TheChronoTrigger
01-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Both of my good friends who love FPS games said it was very mediocre but I keep hearing good things about it. I'm sure a lot of you classy folks here have played it. Pros? Cons? Still worth getting?

Would you kindly quit listening to your friends? The game is great and I definitely recommend picking it up. You can get it for under $15 dollars too.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2651596&siteID=isIkAyUyNbM-QRLeTtNESRjK5eOCUfElqg

Mike_Johnson
01-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Would you kindly quit listening to your friends? The game is great and I definitely recommend picking it up. You can get it for under $15 dollars too.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2651596&siteID=isIkAyUyNbM-QRLeTtNESRjK5eOCUfElqg

Alas! great price, wrong system

Brewtown Andy
01-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Whoa WHAT?! :scared:Did you miss the harvest/save option?

Fygar
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Best game of this generation thus far. Don't skip it, it's a must play.

Garth
01-12-2009, 09:18 PM
If you don't waiting a bit, I will send my copy to you. I have yet to really break into it.

Armored Dildo
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I guarantee this has nothing to do with dildos.

awwwww :sad:

Garth
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
awwwww :sad:

dildos are "meh"

Armored Dildo
01-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Did you miss the harvest/save option?

Since I don't understand what you mean I will say "no".

Humphrey_Lee
01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Best game of this generation thus far. Don't skip it, it's a must play.

Really? I don't see that at all. Top 5 for sure, but again, kind of like Fallout, just because the main emphasis isn't necessarily on the shooting gameplay, you can't forgive it for being pretty mediocre. I'd rather play it than any other shooter I have though, because at least it has an involving story, something pretty much every other one I've played has failed at. Ah well...

Pia Guerra
01-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Didn't play it myself but couldn't stop staring at the graphics as others did. The design is fantastic. The door lock puzzles were way too repetitive for my tastes but overall, worth it for the immersive atmosphere.

killingyouguy
01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
I just started playing Bioshock and it incredible. It's so creepy, atmospheric and suspenseful. And just damn fun. It freaked my cat out, and made her jump onto me and claw over my shoulder to get behind me. Definitely worth playing.

Mike_Johnson
01-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I have yet to really break into it.

Any particular reason? Just busy with other games?

Dropkick
01-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I think the game is very good for the first two thirds of the game (great story, pretty good gameplay), but man, that last act is so disappointing. The story takes a steep downturn, the levels stop being interesting, and the final fight is one of the weakest efforts I've seen. It also takes quite a few cues from Fallout, Grim Fandango and System Shock 2 in terms of design, but I don't mind that much since it combines them well. All in all, entertaining and extremely pleasing aesthetically, but shallow in other areas.

Thomas Mauer
01-13-2009, 03:40 AM
If you haven't played System Shock 2, you're good.

Garth
01-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Any particular reason? Just busy with other games?

Yeah, I have quite the backlog, and I don't really play two games at once, cause I like to focus on one (unless it is something like Rock Band or a pick up and play game). I am on the last couple of missions on GTA, and then I will probably start in on Bioshock. I did play about 20 minutes of it a while back, and was floored by the graphics.

Akira
01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
It's worth a rent. It's a decent FPS with nothing really original about the game play (doubly so if you've played the System Shock series), but the atmosphere and story are worth experiencing at least once.

Generic Poster
01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
It's one of my favorite games ever. It's not a pure FPS, though.

Ultimate Lurker
01-13-2009, 07:53 AM
I loved it start to finish. One of my favorite games ever. I wish I had never played it, just so I could play it again for the first time! :sigh:

sans serif
01-13-2009, 08:10 AM
I really loved this game. I was enthralled and terrified the whole way through. Never once was I bored.

Visually, it's beautiful.

Whip
01-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Great game. And I hate FPS's. :)

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Flawed but memorable. Definitely worth a look!

Fygar
01-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Really? I don't see that at all. Top 5 for sure, but again, kind of like Fallout, just because the main emphasis isn't necessarily on the shooting gameplay, you can't forgive it for being pretty mediocre. I'd rather play it than any other shooter I have though, because at least it has an involving story, something pretty much every other one I've played has failed at. Ah well...

I say it's the best of this generation, but I'm strictly talking 360 and PS3 (Super Mario Galaxy is still my favorite game thus far). I don't have anything to really back it up Humphrey, other than the fact that it worked on all levels for me personally. The story, the setting, and yes even the gameplay all clicked. There have been some great games this generation (Mass Effect, Fable II, GTA 4, COD 4), but Bioshock is the one I always reference.

Out of curiosity, what would your top game of this generation be thus far?

Humphrey_Lee
01-13-2009, 09:31 AM
I say it's the best of this generation, but I'm strictly talking 360 and PS3 (Super Mario Galaxy is still my favorite game thus far). I don't have anything to really back it up Humphrey, other than the fact that it worked on all levels for me personally. The story, the setting, and yes even the gameplay all clicked. There have been some great games this generation (Mass Effect, Fable II, GTA 4, COD 4), but Bioshock is the one I always reference.

Out of curiosity, what would your top game of this generation be thus far?

Nah, it's cool. Honestly, it's a much better pick than most would make so I'm not like, flabbergasted. If you said Halo 3, we couldn't converse anymore. It's just kind of a Fallout 3 syndrome to me because of the gameplay itself being mediocre while everything else is amazing (though I'd actually put Fallout as probably my 2nd game of this generation and of past year too so far). Number one? Let's just say... SNAKE? SNAKE?!! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!

Maestro
01-13-2009, 09:39 AM
I thought it needed a multiplayer mode. I traded it in after finishing it

Ultimate Lurker
01-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Wait, is it top 5, or is it mediocre?

Humphrey_Lee
01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Wait, is it top 5, or is it mediocre?

The game as a whole is a top five, from what I've played, I'm just saying the gameplay itself is a little average really. If it was better, and they reigned in a couple things like all the hacking, I could easily see it being the best this generation. The sum of the parts is still better as a whole, despite a couple lacking areas is all I'm saying.

GelfXIII
01-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Both my wife and I loved it. Very very cool story and feel. Game play was easy enough for old fogies like us to enjoy it with out getting over frustrated by too high difficulty level.

Fallout III almost feels like a sequel in some ways (the look, music, textures, combat are all very similar), we're loving that as well.

JoeE
01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I like how the gameplay took an almost RPG style approach to combat with the character customization. The guns are a lot less tighter than those found in most twitch shooters, but the various plasmids and tonics allow you to really experiment with how you approach combat. Want to spam TK and work out your inner poltergeist? Totally doable, and it feels a lot more intuitive that HL2's gravity gun (which was great, but often frustrating to use, especially when gimped). Want to be a close quarters brawler? No problem, just load up on the various wrench and sneaking tonics, and static discharge to stun enemies that get too close. Tired of hacking? No problem, just blow up the turrets/cameras and use auto-tools for the safes.

Benel Germosen
01-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Decent. The " choice " aspect is interesting, in theory, but in practice is really just " good or bad ". There's no real elements of choice presented. You're either Hitler or the Mother Teresa.

Fygar
01-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Nah, it's cool. Honestly, it's a much better pick than most would make so I'm not like, flabbergasted. If you said Halo 3, we couldn't converse anymore. It's just kind of a Fallout 3 syndrome to me because of the gameplay itself being mediocre while everything else is amazing (though I'd actually put Fallout as probably my 2nd game of this generation and of past year too so far). Number one? Let's just say... SNAKE? SNAKE?!! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!

No...I actually think Halo 3 might be my least favorite game of this generation thus far. It's so incredibly mediocre in all areas except for matchmaking that I can't believe it's a phenomenon (that is the first time in my life I spelled phenomenon correctly on the first try). I just got my copy of Fallout 3 today, but I probably won't start it for awhile (Dead Space and Valkyria Chronicles still sitting on the backlog). I have a feeling it's going to be one of those top five games for me. I liked MGS 4, but didn't love it. For whatever reason I only seem to really love the odd numbered MGS titles. Both 2 and 4 are good but the boss battles/ story didn't blow me away like the original and Snake Eater did.

Armored Dildo
01-13-2009, 07:26 PM
I thought it needed a multiplayer mode. I traded it in after finishing it

PS3 version does.

costello
01-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Hey, me too.

Mike_Johnson
01-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Beat the game and loved it.

I'm now trying to make my way through on Survivor without using Vita-Chambers. It's just as hard as it sounds.

PatrickA
01-27-2009, 12:34 PM
It is worth it for the Fort frolic level alone.

In most FPS games you put up with the story to get to the shooting. In Bioshock, the opposite it true. I don't mean that the combat is bad, because it isn't. It's just not the most important part.