PDA

View Full Version : Scrubs returns tonight.

noble
01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Just a reminder, and don't forget it's on ABC now.

Looks like Courtney Cox is taking over Kelso's job.

I'm curious as to how the show is going to go without Kelso, and I like Scrubs, but I have a feeling I'm going to wish they had let them finish out the series on NBC instead of dragging it out like this.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Jerome Gibbons
01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Had no idea. Thanks for letting me know.

leviathan
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah...I don't plan on watching it this year. The last season was ok but it didn't really do anything for me. I figure I should stop watching now while I still have good memories about it rather than let a substandard last season ruin the entire series.

Robert James
01-06-2009, 12:51 PM
About Kelso:

He's not gone from the show, just gone as the Chief from Sacred Heart....

JHester
My wife has been on countdown for the last week. I can't wait.

Cactusakic
So Kelso is officially gone now?

Well, that saves me having to watch this after all.
The last two seasons have been unbearable other than his scenes and I said several times that I'd stop watching if/when he left.

JoeE
01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I've read good reviews of the ABC episodes, favorably comparing them to first-season episodes. Apparently they've really dialed down the J.D. wackiness.

Gunter
01-06-2009, 01:26 PM
So Kelso is officially gone now?

Well, that saves me having to watch this after all.
The last two seasons have been unbearable other than his scenes and I said several times that I'd stop watching if/when he left.

You know what has two thumbs and doesn't give a shit?

That's right. Bob Kelso.

Dan-C
01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm just waiting for the last episode when we get to learn janitor's real name.

Rod Nunley
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I read the same interview with Bill Lawrence that JoeE read. He has said that the show is going to be much more like the earlier seasons and less wacky and silly. He agreed that it had gotten a little too light and that he wanted the final episodes to have some weight to them that they wouldn't have had if the tone of the show had continued as it had last season.

Rod Nunley
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm just waiting for the last episode when we get to learn janitor's real name.

I heard that it's just some normal name and not even a joke or anything.

bartleby
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
The commercials, which admittedly haven't shown a whole lot, really have me excited about this season.

Ryudo
01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Don't forget... there's TWO episodes tonight!

THWIP!
01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Just as long as it's better than last year's abysmal season I'm good.

Jerome Gibbons
01-06-2009, 01:41 PM

Yeah, but it could be a funny name. Like Clarence.

JoeE
01-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Speaking of Clarences, I believe the actor who played Clarence Royce on The Wire will guest star in tonight's episode.

Rod Nunley
01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah, but it could be a funny name. Like Clarence.

What I heard was that the name is very normal (IE: John, Bill, Steve) and that it's a not made into a big thing.

bartleby
01-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I think it would be absolutely hilarious if Janitor's real name was John Dorian.

AceOfSpades
01-06-2009, 02:06 PM

Wait...So he's not Dr. Jan Itor??

:sad:

Jerome Gibbons
01-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I think it would be absolutely hilarious if Janitor's real name was John Dorian.

That sounds like something they would do, at least the way the show has been during the last couple of seasons. I was hoping his name would just be Neil.

silverboy
01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Times like this I wish I had a VCR. Hopefully it'll be online later this week.

changingshades
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Does ABC put their episodes online? If not, is there a way to watch this legally online afterwards, what with me be half a world away from seeing this?

bartleby
01-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Does ABC put their episodes online? If not, is there a way to watch this legally online afterwards, what with me be half a world away from seeing this?

ABC does put their episodes online. In fact, I think the even have a bunch of the old episodes already online, plus the new webseries SCRUBS: INTERNS.

Dave S.
01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks! DVR set!

Nick Spencer
01-06-2009, 02:57 PM
ABC does put their episodes online. In fact, I think the even have a bunch of the old episodes already online, plus the new webseries SCRUBS: INTERNS.

They do, but I am not so sure they're available overseas.

Nick Spencer
01-06-2009, 02:57 PM

If you're running into this problem a lot, I'd recommend looking into buying a Slingbox.

Ultimate Lurker
01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Sweet there are 2 episodes! I love when they do that.

FedEx Fanboy
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Talking about shooting a dead horse when it was already still born to begin with...

bartleby
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Talking about shooting a dead horse when it was already still born to begin with...

Speaking of beating a dead horse... (http://606studios.com/bendisboard/search.php?searchid=2053531)

Rod Nunley
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Speaking of beating a dead horse... (http://606studios.com/bendisboard/search.php?searchid=2053531)

You win. That was awesome.

FedEx Fanboy
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM

I'm obligated to post in all Scrubs related threads. It's a Bendis mandate.

And while we're taking cheap shots: '76 INDIANA HOOSIERS BABY! Still the last NCAA Basketball team to go undefeated!!!

Fuck the Tar Heels!!!

:D

Jerome Gibbons
01-06-2009, 05:05 PM
It's started.

Jerome Gibbons
01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
So far I'd say it seems somewhat okay, for the most part. Not quite as over the top and rhythmically challenged as last season.

JoeE
01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Hah, loved that little meta comment at the end of the first episode.

19bernardo87
01-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Hahha the callous intern is fuckin' awesome.

We are going to steeeeeeeak night,
we are gonna eeeeeeeeeeeat right!

Jerome Gibbons
01-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Oh, I like the new blond interns.

Mike_Johnson
01-06-2009, 05:47 PM
I didn't watch any of last season. Anything important I should know before watching this?

19bernardo87
01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I didn't watch any of last season. Anything important I should know before watching this?

Kelso is no longer Chief of Medicine. But I think you figure out that already. :)

Rod Nunley
01-06-2009, 05:56 PM
2nd Episode was pretty damn serious. And really good. The flare gun was great.

Jerome Gibbons
01-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I thought those last 10-15 minutes were very strong. They really did manage to emulate the feel of the first couple of seasons.

Deej
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I am so happy this is back!!

JoeE
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Those were two solid episodes. If the rest of this season is this solid the show will go out nicely.

Rod Nunley
01-06-2009, 05:59 PM
I thought those last 10-15 minutes were very strong. They really did manage to emulate the feel of the first couple of seasons.

Really felt like a 1st season episode. And the new interns are great.

19bernardo87
I hate how scrubs can make shed tears of joy and sadness. =/

Ultimate Lurker
When Carla dies, Heaven is gonna suuuuuccck! Extra riffing in the credits! YEA!

Ultimate Lurker
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
doh

dEnny!
01-06-2009, 06:09 PM
CRAAAAPPP!

I didn't realize it started already.

dEnny!
01-06-2009, 06:20 PM
These two episodes will be re-aired tomorrow night. TiVo...SET TO RECORD!

Rod Nunley
01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
ABC's is pimping the fuck out of this show. If there are any sort of ratings I guarantee you it goes to a 9th season as a semi new show.

JoeE
01-06-2009, 06:57 PM
ABC's is pimping the fuck out of this show. If there are any sort of ratings I guarantee you it goes to a 9th season as a semi new show.

Yeah, this is probably the most promotion Scrubs has gotten since...well, ever, NBC never really promoted it. ABC obviously doesn't want it to just be a placeholder.

BWC Boston
01-06-2009, 08:05 PM

Bill Lawrence, Zach Braff and Judy Reyes are all claiming to be done after this one. The show could continue on, I suppose, after Carla and JD leave Turk alone in the hospital, but frankly it just seems mean.

Done right, I could stand to watch a spin-off with some of these new interns. My gosh, I wonder if someone at the network thought of that!

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Great return for the show, especially after last season.

JoeE
01-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Bill Lawrence, Zach Braff and Judy Reyes are all claiming to be done after this one. The show could continue on, I suppose, after Carla and JD leave Turk alone in the hospital, but frankly it just seems mean.

Done right, I could stand to watch a spin-off with some of these new interns. My gosh, I wonder if someone at the network thought of that!

I think that's why they introduced the new interns, for spinoff potential.

That said, Aziz Ansari definitely won't be on the show long. He's already committed to the Amy Poehler sitcom NBC has lined up for April. But Joe was pretty awesome, too.

Mister Mets
01-06-2009, 08:57 PM
The commercials, which admittedly haven't shown a whole lot, really have me excited about this season.I thought the commercials were fairly weak, though I'm not sure if this is a show that translates well into 15 or 30 second ads.

The episodes were pretty funny, though.

HoldFastNow
01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I skipped out on last season and most of the season before, but I caught these two episodes and thought they were really good. The second episode especially. The actor who played the dying man was excellent.

Boris the Blade
01-06-2009, 09:11 PM
I never saw season 7 (that was the last one, right? If not, feel free to correct me.) Anything I need to know 'fore leapin' into this one? Elizabeth Banks and J.D. don't have a kid or anything, do they?

Brandon191
01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I never saw season 7 (that was the last one, right? If not, feel free to correct me.) Anything I need to know 'fore leapin' into this one? Elizabeth Banks and J.D. don't have a kid or anything, do they?

Yup!

Jerome Gibbons
01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
It's kind of remarkable how much the simple fact that they toned down JD's flamboyant eccentricity helped to make these episodes better, I think. He'd just gotten waaaaaaaaay too annoying during the last couple of years. Some of it is still there, but for the most part he seems like regular, confident JD from the third or fourth season.

BWC Boston
01-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I skipped out on last season and most of the season before, but I caught these two episodes and thought they were really good. The second episode especially. The actor who played the dying man was excellent.

If you like him so much, that's a fantastic excuse to get into THE WIRE, wherein he plays the mayor of Baltimore. WARNING: It's only a recurring role, not a regular one, but any reason to start watching THE WIRE is a good one.

Boris the Blade
01-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Yup!
C'est terrible!

THWIP!
01-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I was just watching out of habit and it being the last season. I didn't expect the episodes to be good but man was I proved wrong. I enjoyed these to episodes so much. I was laughing constantly through out the first one and really enjoyed the second. I hope the rest of the season is as good as these first 2 episodes.

aj110
01-07-2009, 12:40 AM
I feel the same way. The first episode was hysterical and the second was very touching. Here's hoping this return to form holds up over the entire season.

Josh V
01-07-2009, 12:44 AM
I enjoyed these two, I wonder if Bill was just happy to be done with the craziness over at NBC and as such is more comfrotable with the show right now. Hopefully it works out for them this season.

aj110
01-07-2009, 01:00 AM
I also wonder if the increasing zaniness of the past few seasons was done to appease NBC and make it more "mainstream". And now that the show is on ABC, Bill Lawrence feels he can go back to the kind of show he wanted to make.

changingshades
01-07-2009, 01:44 AM
about to start the season premiere

yay being interweb savvy

noble
01-07-2009, 02:02 AM
JANITOR!

So is he gone from the show?

Cause that would suck.

changingshades
01-07-2009, 02:47 AM
I really liked the first two episodes. I hope the series keeps up the quality.

Travis M. Bierwagen
01-07-2009, 03:10 AM
JANITOR!

So is he gone from the show?

Cause that would suck.

I don't think so...

I saw a clip (at E! online - I think) of a future episode where JD and the janitor form a truce in order to help Ted.

BronxRonin
01-07-2009, 03:18 AM
I've never watched the show...and i enjoyed these two episodes.I'll stick around.

noble
01-07-2009, 03:39 AM
I don't think so...

I saw a clip (at E! online - I think) of a future episode where JD and the janitor form a truce in order to help Ted.

That's a relief.

He was my second favorite character behind Kelso.

To lose both of them would have sucked!

Shepherd
01-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Wow, best episodes in a while. I actually got a little choked up during the second one. Good stuff.

R

JoeE
01-07-2009, 04:10 AM
Janitor being gone:

Apparently this season, each actor is only going to appear in 16 out of 18 episodes to cut costs. That's why Kelso wasn't in the second episode, either.

bartleby
01-07-2009, 04:35 AM
Apparently this season, each actor is only going to appear in 16 out of 18 episodes to cut costs. That's why Kelso wasn't in the second episode, either.

A lot of the cast wasn't in the second episode. Really, when you get down to it, the episode was almost entirely J.D. and Turk.

bartleby
01-07-2009, 04:37 AM
And can I just say how great it is that SCRUBS is finally being shot and broadcast in wide screen and high definition.

thecheat1
01-07-2009, 04:46 AM
I was cautiously optimistic about this season after hearing about the interview with Bill Lawrence but, I just wasn't sure if they'd be able to get back on track.

But, by God, they did it! Scrubs is definitely back after 2 mediocre seasons!

If this is the last season (which would surprise me) and the quality of these episodes stays consistent, it will definitely go out on a high note.

And I agree with everyone else, the toning down of JD (I'd also throw Elliot in there too, if fact, toning down everyone a little) has done this show a great deal of good. The second episode was easily the best in two years. I'm really glad they went back to the Elliot/Keith break-up, there really wasn't great closure to that.

One thing though, wasn't Dr. Cox the Chief of Medicine at the end of last season. Was that just supposed to be an interim thing until they found a new one? That wasn't really addressed at all.

HoldFastNow
01-07-2009, 06:31 AM
If you like him so much, that's a fantastic excuse to get into THE WIRE, wherein he plays the mayor of Baltimore. WARNING: It's only a recurring role, not a regular one, but any reason to start watching THE WIRE is a good one.

Oh the Wire is my favorite show ever. I totally didn't realize it was the same guy, even though I thought I remembered him from somewhere!

BenH
01-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Oh the Wire is my favorite show ever. I totally didn't realize it was the same guy, even though I thought I remembered him from somewhere!

He was also on A Different World as the math professor.

Both episodes were really good, especially the second one. Glad to have the show return to form after two sub-par seasons. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Jew Mafia
01-07-2009, 06:47 AM
This is the first season I'm watching as it airs, and it was great to see a lot of the quality from the earlier seasons. Lot's of nice moments across both episodes, but I think JD's almost moment of feeling like Perry's equal was my favorite. It's about time there was some forward movement like that in their relationship. Hope they keep it going.

JoeE
01-07-2009, 06:47 AM
And can I just say how great it is that SCRUBS is finally being shot and broadcast in wide screen and high definition.

I noticed that. It looked great. It'll make a nice Blu-Ray.

adamgreenberger
01-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Glad this is back...I love this show.

Ultimate Lurker
01-07-2009, 07:31 AM
This is the first season I'm watching as it airs, and it was great to see a lot of the quality from the earlier seasons. Lot's of nice moments across both episodes, but I think JD's almost moment of feeling like Perry's equal was my favorite. It's about time there was some forward movement like that in their relationship. Hope they keep it going.

Wait, you said she.
That's right, she.
So it wasn't me.
No, it was you.
Oh...

augie680
01-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I really enjoyed watching these two episodes. Pretty much all of last season was a chore to watch, as I had loved the show so much before that I forced myself to keep watching, even though the episodes were very sub-par. But both of those episodes were a lot of fun, and managed to feel fresh while still feeling like vintage Scrubs.

The bits of new blood really added a lot, as the blonde bitchy one and Aziz were hilarious, and Courtney Cox brings all kinds of funny.

I'm glad it's back.

PS: I think it also helps that it's not included in such a great block of comedy like last year. After watching The Office and 30 Rock, it was tough to love Scrubs as much.

PPS: Sub-par Scrubs was still light years better then Kath and Kim.

Jew Mafia
01-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Wait, you said she.
That's right, she.
So it wasn't me.
No, it was you.
Oh...

:lol:

I really enjoyed watching these two episodes. Pretty much all of last season was a chore to watch, as I had loved the show so much before that I forced myself to keep watching, even though the episodes were very sub-par. But both of those episodes were a lot of fun, and managed to feel fresh while still feeling like vintage Scrubs.

The bits of new blood really added a lot, as the blonde bitchy one and Aziz were hilarious, and Courtney Cox brings all kinds of funny.

I'm glad it's back.

PS: I think it also helps that it's not included in such a great block of comedy like last year. After watching The Office and 30 Rock, it was tough to love Scrubs as much.

PPS: Sub-par Scrubs was still light years better then Kath and Kim.

For all it's faults, S7 still had the The Love Train fantasy, which is one my favorite Scrubs moments.

Drkemerld73
01-07-2009, 08:37 AM
It's great to have Scrubs back, and even greater that it seems they got back to the basics on what made the first few seasons so special.

I really liked the new interns, especially the Blair/Jo ones.

One thing I missed, that someone had noted, was that J.D. had noticed the change in channel icon in the lower right hand corner and said "That's different" or something like that. :lol: I need to go back and see if it's true.

I also enjoyed the little nods to the show's situation at the end of the 1st episode ala Arrested Development. :thumb:

Jerome Gibbons
01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
One thing I missed, that someone had noted, was that J.D. had noticed the change in channel icon in the lower right hand corner and said "That's different" or something like that. :lol: I need to go back and see if it's true.

Hmmmm. I didn't notice that.

I read on Wiki that there's an upcoming episode called My ABCs.

bartleby
01-07-2009, 08:42 AM

The best part about that was Ed's "You can call me Tootie. I don't think that's at all racist."

Jerome Gibbons
01-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm kinda torn on that Ed guy. Sometimes he seems pretty funny, other times it comes across as that kind of seasons 6-7, trying-way-too-hard-and-failing-awkwardly type of humor. I do like the blond interns, as I said, especially the callous one. She's got potential.

bartleby
01-07-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm kinda torn on that Ed guy. Sometimes he seems pretty funny, other times it comes across as that kind of seasons 6-7, trying-way-too-hard-and-failing-awkwardly type of humor.

You're just jealous because Ed is really good at getting things to catch on quickly. Steak night!

Drkemerld73
01-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Hmmmm. I didn't notice that.

I read on Wiki that there's an upcoming episode called My ABCs.

I didn't either, but I'll check it out later.

That could be funny if it's referencing the channel change. :lol:

The best part about that was Ed's "You can call me Tootie. I don't think that's at all racist."

I'm kinda torn on that Ed guy. Sometimes he seems pretty funny, other times it comes across as that kind of seasons 6-7, trying-way-too-hard-and-failing-awkwardly type of humor. I do like the blond interns, as I said, especially the callous one. She's got potential.

So do I. Hopefully she'll stick around.

I enjoyed seeing the really high pitched voice intern again leading the other interns around. Dr. Cox can't stand her and it's always gold.

I hope we can see Snoop Dog resident and Hooch make an appearance.

And I also eagerly await the return of The Todd! :thumb:

Jew Mafia
01-07-2009, 09:00 AM
I didn't either, but I'll check it out later.

That could be funny if it's referencing the channel change. :lol:

So do I. Hopefully she'll stick around.

I enjoyed seeing the really high pitched voice intern again leading the other interns around. Dr. Cox can't stand her and it's always gold.

I hope we can see Snoop Dog resident and Hooch make an appearance.

And I also eagerly await the return of The Todd! :thumb:

Hooch is crazy!

noble
01-07-2009, 09:03 AM

The blonde chick reminds me so much of Kari it's scary.

I guess that makes me a hairy rhino :lol:

Boris the Blade
01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Watchin' it now.

J.D. stole Dr. Cox's beard from season 5.

Drkemerld73
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Hooch is crazy!

You keep following me around...

I'm going to cut you!

Deej
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM
It's great to have Scrubs back, and even greater that it seems they got back to the basics on what made the first few seasons so special.

I also enjoyed the little nods to the show's situation at the end of the 1st episode ala Arrested Development. :thumb:

Yes, I tivo'd it and had to rewind just to see if he was actually pointing at the ABC logo.

JoeE
01-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Also, Jo was played by the same actress who was trying to get into Bret's pants in the "Girlfriends" episode of Flight of the Conchords.

Rod Nunley
01-07-2009, 10:17 AM
You keep following me around
... I'm going to cut you!

Hey ... seriously guys. Hooch is crazy.

Cactusakic
01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Just watched both episodes.

Yep, still not funny.
Although I quite liked the abrasive new intern and the self-referential end credit sequence to the first episode.

The rest was awful though.

Drkemerld73
01-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, I tivo'd it and had to rewind just to see if he was actually pointing at the ABC logo.

Awesome!

Hey ... seriously guys. Hooch is crazy.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii163/chrisern/BurnforaBurn-1.jpg

leviathan
01-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Just watched both episodes.

Yep, still not funny.
Although I quite liked the abrasive new intern and the self-referential end credit sequence to the first episode.

The rest was awful though.

Ditto on all counts. The only amusing moment was the end credit sequence. I'm skipping the rest of the season with no qualms.

Stupendous Man
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
The 2nd episode was great. I missed the first 15 minutes of the 1st episode, but what I saw I enjoyed. Definitely glad this show is back.

Mr. Sean
01-07-2009, 12:25 PM
the abrasive intern reminded me of the newer lady deputy on reno 911....whats her name...the native american one that they all think is a lesbian?

RoShambo
01-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Don't forget!! New episodes tonight!! 15 minutes to start time.

Jerome Gibbons
01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Yessir, let's go.

RoShambo
01-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Janitor!!

19bernardo87
01-13-2009, 05:09 PM
"Dr. Cox... Ridiculous name by the way" LOL :rofl:

Jerome Gibbons
01-13-2009, 05:16 PM
God. Carla is hot.

RoShambo
01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
The todd!!

19bernardo87
01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
She is gone... damn, it was hot while it lasted. :)

No Turk in the last episode. :(

Jerome Gibbons
01-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm like Norm in this bitch.

19bernardo87
01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
She is gone... damn, it was hot while it lasted. :)

No Turk in the last episode. :(

No Carla on the second episode.

Damn you ABC, tehy are a couple you heartless bastards!

Jerome Gibbons
01-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Wow, I knew that was coming, but I didn't think it'd be this soon. I hope they actually do something different this time and like, actually play it out for more than two episodes.

ZombieSpeedball
01-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Wow, I forgot again. Shit.

Has the season been any good so far?

Jerome Gibbons
01-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow, I forgot again. Shit.

Has the season been any good so far?

Better than the last couple, anyway.

ZombieSpeedball
01-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Better than the last couple, anyway.

Well that's not hard, the show has been getting increasingly ridiculous every year.

Jerome Gibbons
01-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Well that's not hard, the show has been getting increasingly ridiculous every year.

They've toned it down some. There's still some silliness, but overall it's not as over the top as the last few seasons. One of last week's episodes felt straight out the first couple of seasons.

BWC Boston
01-13-2009, 06:21 PM
They've toned it down some. There's still some silliness, but overall it's not as over the top as the last few seasons. One of last week's episodes felt straight out the first couple of seasons.

That second episode was the best SCRUBS has been in at least five years. It was great.

Benel Germosen
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Could have been watching Scrubs tonight. Fuck my brother's girlfriend.

ZombieSpeedball
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Really? Hot damn, now I really hate that I've been forgetting about it.

Jerome Gibbons
01-13-2009, 06:29 PM
It's kinda crap that Scrubs only starts to get good again when it's about to end (or carry on without Braff, Bill Lawrence, Judy Reyes and probably some other people). Not because we're getting good stuff for only a short amount of time, so much as because we had to stand two or three years of really mediocre stuff.

Deej
01-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Eh...I didn't really like either of the episodes tonight. I hope i'm in the minority here...

changingshades
01-14-2009, 12:53 AM
I thought the last episode with CC was pretty shitty. I really hated every scene with Janitor in it, but the second episode was great. I knew they were going to end it with Elliot and JD together, and I like that they acknowledge the pit falls they've had in the past. Hell they even admitted that Keith was boring and safe.

I still would rather have Eliot end up with Sean, but there is virtually no chance of that happening.

bartleby
01-14-2009, 03:12 AM
I think all four episodes this season have been very good, if not great.

Daniel K.
01-14-2009, 03:44 AM
That second episode was awesome. I really hope they keep Elliot and JD together this time. There's some cool new stories they can tell with JD having a kid now, Elliot being more mature and, of course, all of their history. I think it'd be really satisfying if they end the series with them still together, even though I know Lawrence (for some reason) really hates the idea.

bartleby
01-14-2009, 03:57 AM
I think it'd be really satisfying if they end the series with them still together, even though I know Lawrence (for some reason) really hates the idea.

I think Lawrence mainly hates the idea of them getting together at the end of the series. Ya know, the big final season with them meeting at an airport or on a bridge or the top of a building and unloading all their feelings, just so the audience isn't left wondering if they ever get together after the show ends.

Daniel K.
01-14-2009, 04:14 AM
I think Lawrence mainly hates the idea of them getting together at the end of the series. Ya know, the big final season with them meeting at an airport or on a bridge or the top of a building and unloading all their feelings, just so the audience isn't left wondering if they ever get together after the show ends.

That I can get behind. It's cliche and boring and, in general, just ridiculous. I really hope they just stay together through the end and not make a big deal of it. The big series ending conflict or whatever can totally come from elsewhere.

bartleby
01-14-2009, 04:35 AM
That I can get behind. It's cliche and boring and, in general, just ridiculous.

I think it goes further than that. If you end SCRUBS with JD and Elliot getting together, that it makes it so that the show was always about whether or not JD and Elliot end up together. And that's not really what the show is. SCRUBS is a show about a group of immature young adults and their journey of maturation, culminating with them finally becoming competent medical professionals.

noble
01-14-2009, 04:50 AM
And J.D. slowly becoming Dr Cox even if he doesnt' realize it yet ;)

Evan the Shaggy
01-14-2009, 04:59 AM
"Are you saying we should use photoshop to manipulate an image of her?"
"No I'm saying we build a photoshop for each of us, wait for her to come inside one of them, and then when she's leaving, we beat her to death with pool cues!"

aj110
01-14-2009, 05:15 AM
I've read interviews with Lawrence and Braff that both say fans that want JD and Elliot to be together in the end will be happy and fans that want the opposite will be happy.

bartleby
01-14-2009, 05:16 AM
"Are you saying we should use photoshop to manipulate an image of her?"
"No I'm saying we build a photoshop for each of us, wait for her to come inside one of them, and then when she's leaving, we beat her to death with pool cues!"

The best part about that was Dr. Cox telling Janitor to start first just to get his ridiculous ideas that will never work out of the way first, and then Janitor proceeding to do just that without being offended.

Jerome Gibbons
01-14-2009, 05:26 AM
And J.D. slowly becoming Dr Cox even if he doesnt' realize it yet ;)

I always got the feeling that was supposed to be the original plan, especially given how characters would sometimes mention that Dr. Cox used to be a lot like JD when he was younger. But that kind of seemed to get derailed at some point during the fourth or fifth season or so, when JD started to become girly, flamboyantly gay JD.

noble
01-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Well last season he was with a girl that the only reason he was with her was because of the sudden pregnancy.

Sounds an awful lot like Cox.

He hasn't gotten cynical like Cox yet, but he's still young.

woljed
01-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Oh man with each new episode this season they are getting funnier.

Ep 3 was good but Ep 4 killed me at certain points. So damn funny.

The Todd through the door joke was one of the highlights.

JoeE
01-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Scrubs got absolutely CRUSHED in the ratings last night with the return of American Idol. CRUSHED.

woljed
01-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Scrubs got absolutely CRUSHED in the ratings last night with the return of American Idol. CRUSHED.

Don't the ratings level out after the auditions? I've read somewhere that the auditions are the highest rated episodes and afterward they aren't that high.

aj110
01-14-2009, 10:40 AM

is that a suprise? AI is huge at the beginning and at the end.

Ultimate Lurker
01-15-2009, 03:17 AM

It didn't just get crushed by American Idol. It did horrible overall. It lost to AI, NCIS, The Mentalist, Without a Trace, Biggest Loser, SVU, Homeland Security USA, and Primetime: What Would You Do. The only shows it beat were 90210 and the Privileged on CW

dasNdanger
01-15-2009, 03:25 AM
It didn't just get crushed by American Idol. It did horrible overall. It lost to AI, NCIS, The Mentalist, Without a Trace, Biggest Loser, SVU, Homeland Security USA, and Primetime: What Would You Do. The only shows it beat were 90210 and the Privileged on CW

They really put it on in a terrible time slot - The Mentalist is opposite it, I believe, on CBS, and that show is their biggest new hit this season. Really, ABC should have known better.

das

Bandit Chimera
01-15-2009, 03:35 AM
well i'll admit i watched American idol and DVR'd scrubs to watch right after ....i just like American idol

but those last 2 episodes were also great making this season awesome so far

bartleby
01-15-2009, 03:48 AM
They really put it on in a terrible time slot - The Mentalist is opposite it, I believe, on CBS, and that show is their biggest new hit this season. Really, ABC should have known better.

ABC's got to run something in that time slot. They can't just run color bars for an hour.

dasNdanger
01-15-2009, 03:58 AM
ABC's got to run something in that time slot. They can't just run color bars for an hour.

Then run some crap reality programming like everyone else.

das

bartleby
01-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Then run some crap reality programming like everyone else.

Is there a better time slot for SCRUBS? Probably. But does that help ABC overall? Unlikely.

Network programming is about maximizing the potential of the entire schedule—not just one show. It doesn't make a lot of sense for ABC to arrange their entire primetime grid around what best suits one of their lowest rated shows.

Ultimate Lurker
01-15-2009, 04:55 AM
well i'll admit i watched American idol and DVR'd scrubs to watch right after ....i just like American idol

but those last 2 episodes were also great making this season awesome so far

I watched Biggest Loser and dvr'd Scrubs. I forgot to dvr What Would You Do though.

dasNdanger
01-15-2009, 05:03 AM
Is there a better time slot for SCRUBS? Probably. But does that help ABC overall? Unlikely.

Network programming is about maximizing the potential of the entire schedule—not just one show. It doesn't make a lot of sense for ABC to arrange their entire primetime grid around what best suits one of their lowest rated shows.

True. Or, maybe, this is their write-off show. It's just that programming sometimes boggles my mind. They could have been thinking 'options' - CBS (The Mentalist) is offering light detective drama, NBC (The Biggest Loser) and FOX (American Idol) offering reality tv - so why not give the viewer a comedy option?? In that case, it does make sense. But I've always thought that comedy does best when slotted into an evening of comedy - perhaps the first two hours - with a drama at the end. It worked for years on both CBS and NBC, it's just picking the right night.

Although...it seems to me that comedy just isn't that popular anymore. There doesn't seem to be any true hits, the sort people are always talking about, shows like M*A*S*H*, All in the Family and Seinfeld used to do (mind you, I LOVE Scrubs, but I rarely watch it due to the evenings it's on).

I really wish they'd show this stuff on Sunday nights. I love just chilling to tv on Sunday evenings, except - there's nothing on worth watching. Sometimes I catch Masterpiece on PBS if they have a mystery, but otherwise, I just catch up on my recorded rugby matches.

das