PDA

View Full Version : "Samples from Sirius Radio Hanukkah!" or "Self-deprication of Jewish Culture"

Evan Wiener
12-23-2008, 07:17 AM
This is quite an eclectic mix of music for Hanukkah. I was really looking forward to see what programming they'd come up with, and it didn't disappoint, but in a way I didn't expect.

Here's some snippets of emails I'm sending to wife and friends about this thing:

I just laughed and yelled "Oh Jesus Christ!" (I know, irony!) because the current song is:
"Who Let the Slaves Out?"
"Moses, Moses, Moses!"

See, the jews are the dogs of ancient Egypt. :no:
--------

"You kvetch about me, I kvetch about you, we keep going around in circles, it's a Kvetch 22!"

I'm in tears laughing.

--------

There's a song on Radio Chanukkah about Jewish girls, about meeting one, settling down, etc. What a terribly boring song! Where's the REAL stuff about Jewish girls? The New York bridge and tunnel crowd? The JAPpy ones that get irritating very quickly. Then get to the nice one you settle with, not jump right into that story. This is old fart Jew romance music coming from someone who should be young enough to know better.
--------

Oh great, tonight's topic? The Holocaust in Rock. What?

Now there's a song that goes "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten Plagues in Egypt Land!" This stuff is PRICELESS.

Jim T.
12-23-2008, 07:19 AM
What channel is this on? I remember hearing about it but hadn't realized it was going to be anything but standard holiday songs.

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-23-2008, 07:20 AM
What station is this? I may need to give this a listen.

Evan Wiener
12-23-2008, 07:22 AM
What channel is this on? I remember hearing about it but hadn't realized it was going to be anything but standard holiday songs.

It's on Sirius 3 (normally Sirius XM Love) for just the 8 days/nights of Hanukkah.

The programming is a mix of cultural songs, Hebrew prayer-style songs, Adam Sandler songs, and horrible, horrible parody pop-culture songs. I'm bizarrely transfixed by it.

Seriously, if you're going to go parody, you use Weird Al Yankovich. You don't use "Who Let the Dogs Out?" covers with an Exodus twist! :)

bachman
12-23-2008, 07:24 AM
I was listening the other night. I think one of the songs was, "Put the Latkes on to Fry"

Evan Wiener
12-23-2008, 07:26 AM
I was listening the other night. I think one of the songs was, "Put the Latkes on to Fry"

Is it a cultural song, or a terrible parody of something?

I wish they'd work in an all-Jew music artist hour!

Slash! Kravitz! Beastie Boys!

Rock out with your circumcised cock out! :)

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-23-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm going to listen to it here in the store for a little bit. Now playing "Brown Fried Pearl". I don't know what that means.

bachman
12-23-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm going to listen to it here in the store for a little bit. Now playing "Brown Fried Pearl". I don't know what that means.

It don't sound good.

bachman
12-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Is it a cultural song, or a terrible parody of something?

I wish they'd work in an all-Jew music artist hour!

Slash! Kravitz! Beastie Boys!

Rock out with your circumcised cock out! :)

It sounded like a Jewish ho-down.

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-23-2008, 07:30 AM
It don't sound good.

Apparently it was about eating latkes.

bachman
12-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Apparently it was about eating latkes.

Always with the latkes these songs are!

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-23-2008, 07:36 AM
If I were a rich man

Evan Wiener
12-23-2008, 07:47 AM
What is this, on a loop?

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 Plagues in Egypt Land again. Funny as hell, but not intentionally funny.

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-23-2008, 07:50 AM
What is this, on a loop?

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 Plagues in Egypt Land again. Funny as hell, but not intentionally funny.

I changed the station. I was fine with the music, but then some old Jewish lady came on and started talking about something or other.

bachman
12-23-2008, 07:51 AM
I changed the station. I was fine with the music, but then some old Jewish lady came on and started talking about something or other.

Jeez, you're worse than Hitler.

Evan Wiener
12-23-2008, 07:53 AM

:rofl:

Evan Wiener
12-23-2008, 07:54 AM
I hope to one day start a high-stakes dreidel game. Then maybe get busted for an illegal gambling ring.

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-23-2008, 07:55 AM

:rofl: Hitler wouldn't have even given the station a chance! I listened for a while!

LordKinbote
12-23-2008, 08:21 AM
There's nothing better than someone describing music to you that you can't hear.

bachman
12-23-2008, 09:09 AM
There's nothing better than someone describing music to you that you can't hear.

"Puuut the latkes on to fry, put the latkes on to fry"
something something something
Puuut the latkes on to fry"

usagi20
12-23-2008, 09:32 AM
The other night, they played Tom Lehrer's "Channukah in Santa Monica." They also played Dr. Ruth Westheimer reminiscing about the Channukahs of her youth.

For those too young to remember, Dr. Ruth was a sex therapist on the radio, sort of the (less explicit) Sue Johansen of the 1980s.