PDA

View Full Version : Astonishing X-Men Vol. 2 HC

EdNEMO
12-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I just read Astonishing X-Men Vol. 2 HC and I have come up with some conclusions. Joss Whedon is the best X-Men writer ever. I no longer hate Cyclops as he was pretty bad-ass in this book. I no longer just think of Emma Frost as an attention seeking whore. Agent Brand turned into a pretty decent and interesting character. And Kitty Pride is freaking awesome!

Damn, that was a good read!

MrClown
12-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Yes it was.

Rod Nunley
12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I just read this night before last. Man oh man does Joss have a handle on the characters in that book. I was just amazed at how firm his grasp was of how they should be written. By far my favorite run of any X-Men comic.

And hell yes for making Cyclops a great character for once. Solid all the way around.

joeAR
12-18-2008, 12:10 PM
One of my favorite comic runs ever.

MrClown
12-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I honestly wish he had stayed on the title for five years. I was so excited to see him take over Runaways, but that fell pretty flat for me pretty quickly. Liked pretty much evvvverything about the run. All of the little verbal ticks he employs that get on my nerves in his shows worked perfectly for me on the page.

Marcdachamp
12-18-2008, 01:11 PM
The third arc is a little confusing, but it has some great moments. Cyclops with the gun and his old jacket was a great last page.

Bill!
12-18-2008, 01:38 PM
He was definitely one of the best things to ever happen to the X-men.

It's too bad it wasn't longer. It seems whenever the X-men start pounding on ally cylinders with a creative team, it ends really quick.

MrClown
12-18-2008, 01:46 PM

It's too bad it wasn't longer. It seems whenever the X-men start pounding on ally cylinders with a creative team, it ends really quick.

I agree--although I really am enjoying Ellis's run. Used to be, I felt like all his characters sounded the same. I enjoyed them anyway, but that's how I felt. He seems to have moved past that, though, and I really like the vibe he puts across. I feel like he's a worthy successor, but it's not quite the gold standard that Whedon achieved.

EdNEMO
12-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree--although I really am enjoying Ellis's run. Used to be, I felt like all his characters sounded the same. I enjoyed them anyway, but that's how I felt. He seems to have moved past that, though, and I really like the vibe he puts across. I feel like he's a worthy successor, but it's not quite the gold standard that Whedon achieved.

I'm a huge Ellis fan, and I'm picking this up as soon as it is collected.

Jerome Gibbons
12-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Fab run. Pretty good followup to New X-Men, I feel.

The Ellis stuff is a bit of a mixed bag so far. There are some great concepts there, though.

artimoff
12-18-2008, 03:53 PM
This was the last X-Men comic i've really loved.

Guirk the Thudner
12-18-2008, 05:00 PM
I honestly wish he had stayed on the title for five years.

All told, he was on that title for almost 5 years.

He's very good, but not what I'd call "prolific."

Brandon191
12-18-2008, 06:21 PM
All told, he was on that title for almost 5 years.

He's very good, but not what I'd call "prolific."

Wasn't it Cassady's fault that the deadlines weren't met?

Guirk the Thudner
12-18-2008, 07:43 PM
It is always easy to blame the artists, but often when an artist hits a major slowdown it is due to a lack of a steady diet of scripts. It seems that motivation can be a problem if they don't know there will be a script ready when they finish.

I don't know, maybe it was just Cassady, (just conjecture and all) but I'd bet it was a shared load.

But hey, they made great comics, so why complain, I guess.

Now, can we get that last issue of PLANETARY already?

Arion
12-18-2008, 07:45 PM

One of my favorite X-Men runs. And Cassaday is the master.

NeverWanderer
12-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Astonishing X-Men was my bridge book from the Ultimate U back into the 616, and the first X-book I'd read since Seagle and Kelly's last issues in the 90s. It's an amazing run.

And, yeah, I loved that third volume. It took me three read-throughs to really get everything that was going on, but that just made it more and more entertaining each time. And it ended up being probably my favorite of the four volumes.

The care and attention Whedon paid to Cyclops did my heart good, and I was honestly very sad when he reverted back to status quo at the end. I was really hoping it would be a lasting change, and I'm really hoping it is revisited again in the future.

SUCH a good comic.

I'm gonna go read it now.

RickLM
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
I loved the whole run.

Marcdachamp
12-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Fab run. Pretty good followup to New X-Men, I feel.

The Ellis stuff is a bit of a mixed bag so far. There are some great concepts there, though.

Ghost Boxes should have been a one-shot. It was really good stuff, but the price for the amount of content really sucked.

I'm still on the fence about Ellis' run. I'm considering dropping it. I've got two X-Books I like a lot right now (X-Force and X-Factor), and a lot of stuff I'm interested in, so I'm leaning towards leaving.

Bill!
12-19-2008, 05:01 AM
One of my favorite X-Men runs. And Cassaday is the master.

Cassady ranks up there with Joe Mad, Chris Bachalo, and Frank Quitely with best X-men art of all time in my opinion.

James W
12-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Cyclops... was pretty bad-ass in this book.

Agent Brand turned into a pretty decent and interesting character.
The power of understatement, my friend!

Got this for my brother's Christmas. It's not without its lumps and bumps (the wrap-up, especially), but Joss's run is my favourite X-Men story of all time.

Kefky
12-19-2008, 05:43 AM
It had some decent moments, but most of it bored me to tears. The second arc didn't grab me at all.