PDA

View Full Version : Uh... Bought/Thought? 12/18?

Marcdachamp
12-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Didn't we have one? Where did it go?

Thunderbolts- PICK OF THE WEEK! Diggle and De La Torre were the PERFECT team to take over for Ellis and Deodato. The tension they build in this issue is fantastic. I really didn't know how this issue was going to end. I love a good surprise. I am very excited about this book and Dark Avengers. 9/10

Mighty Avengers- Really good issue. I think we're finally going to see some really good stuff done with Pym now that Janet's gone. Cheung's pages were great, but Weeks did a nice job too. It's sad when you think about what Hank and a lot of the other replacements have been through. Nice recap while letting the artist's do the job. Bendis is often accused of being too wordy, but here, he lets Cheung do the storytelling. He certainly knows his artist's strengths. Clint and Norman are great here, too. 9/10

Invincible Iron Man- Larocca's art felt a little off this issue. That having been said, I like where this is going. The build-up between Tony and Norman is strong. I think things are going to get very crazy, soon. 8/10

Transformers ROTF Prequel- This was one of my favorite movie tie-ins so far. The art is good, and I liked where the plot picked up. Reign of Starscream ended on a boring note, but I like where this is headed. The art's nice, and it was funny seeing Dispensor one last time. 8/10

Amazing Spider-Man- Harry's return is laid out for us. It's a pretty easy explanation, but not a bad one. I liked the references back to JMS' run, including Aunt May's comments about Molten Men. Little details like that, and Normie's collection of severed Spidey head's (a reference to Harry's death) are really nice. I have no idea how Peter can become Spidey and fight off Molten Man, though. 8/10

X-Factor- The art hurt this issue. Two very different artists handling art chores is a bit jarring. PAD pulls it off with a good story, though. Rictor acting like an idiot and what it caused was pretty good. Jamie's intentional deception of his teammates again and letting the villain go are going to come back to bite him. 7/10

Avengers: The Initiative- A depressing end, I must say. A good end, but depressing, too. The story is a little light, and the art could use a bit of work, though. Also, they may have blown part of Marvel Zombies 3's ending. 7/10

Dark Reign: New Nation- Mixed bag. I bought it for the Hawkeye and Mockingbird stuff, and I'm glad I did, it was a great set-up. The Secret Warriors part was good, too. I'll at least try the first issue. War Machine was just ok, I'll pass on that. Skrull Kill Krew was entertaining. Not bad, but not worth the extra buck, especially since some of these pages were in Dark Reign last week. 5/10

Jim McCann
12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
I could have sworn I saw one yesterday but then it vanished overnight. Is it with Mulder's sister? (I need new pop culture references...)

Criden
12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Walking Dead: Brutal, depressing issue. Brilliantly done. The best issue in a while, and that's saying something--the bar is pretty high.

MA: Good ish, but a bit disjointed. The narrative starts with Hank Pym, and all that stuff's great--although I have some mixed feelings about the 5 flashback pages, however gorgeous they are, and they are in fact gorgeous--but it sort of awkwardly shifts to Osborn at the end. Good, solid ish, though! Love the use of all three artists, and it was certainly a very well written issue.

SpecialK
12-18-2008, 01:38 PM
This is the fourth one I've seen, so either they're disappearing or you didn't look :-P

EDIT: http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=167681

Only found that.

batroc the leaper
12-18-2008, 02:56 PM
This one has more responses, so here I am with it.

A:tI was pretty excellent. I am a pretty consistent fan of the series, and it didn't disappoint. Also, any issue with grasshopper in it is a good one for me I know that it wasn't the actual grasshopper, but it was probably the best skrull switch up in the entire crossover.

Mighty Avengers was good too. I love Hank Pym and any issue that centers around him is good for me. I also enjoyed how it explored Hank and Jan's relationship without focusing solely on when he hit her. I know it is an important part of their story, but Hank is a hero and it seems that every issue he appears in he ends up looking like the bad guy.
Bravo for making a Pym that I love and respect again.

Spidey616
12-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Deadpool #5

Continues to be one of my favorite new titles. Can't wait to see what happens once Wade makes it back to the states and takes on the T-Bolts

dEnny!
12-18-2008, 03:20 PM
I was looking for it myself last night to try and sticky it...obviously I didn't look THAT hard. :Oops:

iGotKittyPryde
12-18-2008, 03:37 PM
The first two things I read were Iron Man and Mighty Avengers and they set a nice creepy tone (MA was a bit disjointed, I agree with Criden but there was a lot to cover and the Cheung stuff is the kind of disjointed I can get behind) and the first 2/3 of Thunderbolts continued it but I thought the end was a bit weak. I wish they'd went the other way with it, as I think then the issue would have been fantastic. But as it was they were all good books.

Dark Reign New Nation was good at times, mediocre at others. Secret Warriors looks great but I'm newly unsure about New Avengers: The Reunion (sorry Jim!) but I'll give it a first issue look, no doubt. I already read the Iron Man prologue to War Machine and eh, I'm gonna pass on the series. Skrull Kill Krew was surprisingly decent but at the same time I can see it getting old quick (it barely made it out of 8 pages with it's charm in tact) and Agents of ATLAS seems like it might be down my alley.

Supergirl was a good continuation of the New Krypton story but it seems to be running out steam. Superwoman has me interested, though. Though with Nightwing and Flamebird, perhaps another mystery story isn't what we need. I'm curious about both though, so perhaps I'm just talking out my ass here.

And that's all I've gotten to so far...

Eric Williams
12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Buffy #20 - Although the writing is a bit of a step down from what we've seen throughout the series, it's still quite solid compared to Loeb's other recent output. And the dialogue and tone of the flashback successfully conjures up the camp that was season one. A bit of a cheesy issue, but I think it succeeds in re-emphasizing Buffy's mission statement, which may not have been as obviously clear recently with the huge change in status quo. Wight's art is growing on me with re-reads, and I'm very excited to have Jeanty back full-time. Seems like Season 8 is getting back on track after the dodgy Fray crossover. 8/10

Madman Atomic Comics #12 - Having only read the recent Madman & The Atomics graphic novel (and a year ago, at that), I'm a bit lost on what's happening here, but picked it up as I'd like to look into Allred's artwork a bit more. I feel like he compromises coherency for experimentation, storytelling-wise, but I guess that's part of the fun. Worth catching up on the current series, I think. 7/10

Soulfire: Shadow Magic #1 - I was sort of following the main series before Turner's health complications and passing, but this spin off mini-series doesn't hugely do it for me. The story seems to be going through the motions, without much to grab the reader's interest, and I find Sana Takeda's artwork a little creepy, as all of her girls look perpetually on the verge of tears (incidentally, she's the one who drew that tentacle-tastic Heroes for Hire cover). Not my cup of tea at all. 3/10

JimmyF1982
12-18-2008, 05:03 PM
yea i started one yesterday but woke up and it was gone. dunno where it went so i didn't start another one.

walking dead: think i'm over this book

dark reign:new nation: only books i'm interested in are secret warriors and avengers:reunion

thunderbolts: i feel like we didn't get enough time with Ellis' team BUT i like what Diggle is doing so i'm sure i'm gonna like whatever he does with his team.

Spider-Man:Noir: liked this better than the X-Men book, interesting premise.

bought and read a bunch but i can't remember all of them now.

Joe Henderson
12-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Mighty Avengers--I very much enjoyed PARTS of this, but ultimately, it felt like part of a story (like a lot of the recent New and Mighty issues were). The heart of it was Hank's grief, but I wanted Bendis to dig in deeper, to really explore Hank's process, his blame (both self and at Tony)...his character. Instead, I felt like he did a fascinating job of starting the exploration, but wasted the opportunity to really get in there and paint a fascinating portrait.

Marcdachamp
12-18-2008, 10:51 PM
A:tI was pretty excellent. I am a pretty consistent fan of the series, and it didn't disappoint. Also, any issue with grasshopper in it is a good one for me I know that it wasn't the actual grasshopper, but it was probably the best skrull switch up in the entire crossover.

Completely forgot about that! That was great!

Kefky
12-19-2008, 03:54 AM
Mighty Avengers--I very much enjoyed PARTS of this, but ultimately, it felt like part of a story (like a lot of the recent New and Mighty issues were). The heart of it was Hank's grief, but I wanted Bendis to dig in deeper, to really explore Hank's process, his blame (both self and at Tony)...his character. Instead, I felt like he did a fascinating job of starting the exploration, but wasted the opportunity to really get in there and paint a fascinating portrait.

That's because Hank Pym's mourning is three-part story. You have to buy three different books to get the full scoop. :jackoff:

Slewo.O
12-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Sadly wasn't able to go to my comic shop so I wasn't able to get all what I wanted but I did get alot through DCBS.

I got

God-Sized Thor: Great story and nice introduction to Skurge a character who I'd never read before now. The story and art were great and nice little meta-textual commentary on comic book deaths and revivals. Though I thought the re-printing of Skurge's death was a bit unnecessary since the beginning explained it pretty damn well.

New Avengers #47: I really liked the flashback to Luke and Jessica just as the baby was growing and even further to the Alias days. I also enjoyed the little winks to the Power Man and Iron Fist stories like Danny "dying" and Coldfire (James Jr) along with their repercussions on Luke's family. Skrull Jarvis is going to be in for a whupping that's for certain. And on a better note Billy Tan's art is getting much better.

Thunderbolts #127: The book hasn't been this scary since Ellis left and that's a good thing. The art is a little sloppier but still great with Songbird trying to escape with her life from Bullseye and Venom. The ending was a nice bookend to the post-Civil War era of the Thunderbolts, I do kinda wish we'd gotten more stories out of them but I'm not disappointed by the post- Dark Reign lineup that's for sure.

Supergirl #36: Never thought I'd be saying this but Supergirl is REALLY great both in art and story. The New Krypton storyline takes a big bite out of Supergirl's light and I can't wait to see what happens next that's for sure... Along with who Superwoman is and we get some more clues on who Nightwing and Flamebird aren't.

Uncanny X-Men #505: I'm enjoying this arc much more than the previous even though it's a quite story and the Dodson art really helps. I've been enjoying the winks to what's going on in the other books like Scott's going nuts on what kind of clothes to get for the baby and whether she's even a baby anymore. Plus we're finally getting winks on the other X-books like X-Force and more insight into what Emma's thinking especially with Secret Invasion finished. Plus Colossus' quest to not save Kitty continues.

The Age of the Sentry #4: This book has been a little schizophrenic for me. On one hand some of them I enjoy like the first part with the Golden Age Sentry which was a nice homage to the Earth 1/ Earth 2 teamups in the past and to how early superheroes were pulpy what with Golden Age Sentry packing heat. But the stories by Paul Tobin tend to drive me nuts like the Milly the Model story and I couldn't even finish. I still really do like the purty art though.

More later.

SpecialK
12-19-2008, 07:49 AM
That's because Hank Pym's mourning is three-part story. You have to buy three different books to get the full scoop. :jackoff:

Ya, I was going to say that I hope it's not just the same thing over and over again. Still not sure if I'm going to pick up Requiem.

masigl4179
12-21-2008, 05:15 PM
11 picks for December 17
11. Dark Reign: New Nation#1- While I loved last week’s Dark Reign one shot, I didn’t like this issue because it was noting but a series of big teases. I’m ready to get to the actual stories.
10. Buffy#20- I actually enjoyed this issue. I thought it was a cute issue by Jeph Loeb that showed what the Buffy Animated series would have been like. Also, it was interesting to see Buffy react to her past with her season experiences.
9. Angel: After the Fall #15- The ending of this issue was so dope! I wonder is it going to last? I’m not going to spoil it but a major character is seemingly murdered by Gunn who as everyone knows by now is an evil vampire.
8.Avengers: The Initiative#19-Well this is sure to be the last Secret Invasion story that we will ever see but I have to admit that I felt kind of bad that the Crusader the Skrull who actually did want to be human ended up getting killed by 3D Man
7 .X-factor#38- X-factor is always an entertaining read. Hell, just like the team half of the time I don’t know why the team is involved in half of their skirmishes but its always interesting to hear them talk about it.
6. Batman & the Outsiders#14- I have to admit I was impressed because I thought this would be a lame fight between Nightwing and Batgirl where Nightwing would get his ass kicked by Batgirl as usual, but it was a lot more interesting than that. Instead it looks like Batgirl and Nightwing are going to team up and create a new team of Outsiders.
5. Fables#79- I’m not sure what’s going on Fables right now…but I can tell its going to take turn for the worse and its kind of depressing. Still, it’s Fables and I’m curious to see where Bill Willingham is going to take this title.
4. Tangent: Superman’s Reign#10- Now this is a really good story. I dare say it may be one of the best mini/maxi series to ever come out of DC. I’m really enjoying learning about the Tangent Universe and watching the characters interact with the mainstream DCU characters. I really like the black Superman Harvey Dent from the Tangent universe.
3. Uncanny X-men#505- Honestly, I will admit that I was ready to kick Uncanny X-men to da curb, but the way that Matt Fraction is writing this title by himself I might just keep reading it. I love the way that he has found a way to tie this book in with other events/titles like X-force and Dark Reign
2 .X-men: Legacy#219- Ok, until Astonishing X-men comes back, this may very well be the smartest X-men title on the stands right now. I love these stories about Professor X-men and this story about the Juggernaut was pretty damn tight. The ending was especially clever. Do yourself a favor and read it.
1. Invincible Iron Man#8- and then there was one…One Iron Man title that is. Iron Man Director of SHIELD has been canceled, because Tony Stark has lost everything during the Secret Invasion and Norman Osborn is now running the world. Yes Norman is still crazy which explains why Tony wouldn’t give him the superhuman Registration list. Hence Iron Man is about to become the World’s Most Wanted.