PDA

View Full Version : Wow...the BPRD is stellar (Killing Ground and The Warning spoilers)

nihilance
12-18-2008, 07:27 AM
I've always really like the BPRD...and since Mignola/Arcudi/Davis started the ball rolling with Plague of Frogs it's been consistently good and I've grown to like it even more than Hellboy proper.

Due to finances I stopped picking up BPRD during Killing Ground deciding to just get it in trade. So I skipped half of Killing Ground, and the Warning. But recently I picked up The Ectoplasmic Man, the Abe Sapien Drowning trade as well as War On Frogs #1 and was sucked back in. So yesterday I finally got all 5 issues of The Warning and sat down to finish Killing Ground and read all of The Warning.

Holy fucking shit is this book good. Granted it's always been good, but the quality of storytelling and characterization has grown exponentially in the last few storylines. Johann losing his new body, Damio's secrets finally revealed...all impressive. Then The Warning...wow. Lobster Johnson's seance, Panya stepping up, Devon's moment of hesitation about getting in the phone booth (what a great little moment), the return of the protomen, the hints at a Black Flame return, the utter destruction the occurs in Germany, Johann reanimating the deceased residents of his former neighborhood, god damn this book is just packed with great moments.

Never again will I let my BPRD pull lapse. Can't wait for The Black Goddess to start next month.

Auguste Miller
12-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah but im holding off until they come out with Library editions of BPRD. When are those coming out ???

Gavin
12-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah but im holding off until they come out with Library editions of BPRD. When are those coming out ???

Well, it probably depends on how well the Hellboy Library editions are selling.