PDA

View Full Version : Tom Beland: Tell us about TSSTG: 100 STORIES from AIT/Planet Lar

Thomas Mauer
12-17-2008, 03:05 PM
I saw this in this month's Previews and was wondering if it's a collection of the best stories from the Archive edition or something that isn't collected in that. Can you shed some light on this, please? :)

TonyFleecs
12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
If it's the same one that was out a couple years ago it's the comic strips.

Thomas Mauer
12-17-2008, 03:09 PM
So different material then? If so, I'mma head right on over to DCBS and add it to my order.

TonyFleecs
12-17-2008, 03:31 PM
yeah different material.

Thomas Mauer
12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
All right, sold!

Thanks, Tom. ;)

Andreas
12-17-2008, 03:36 PM
The work is mentioned in one of the issues collected in the Archive edition. :)

Oh, and there's a new Marvel one-shot by Tom Beland in the next Previews.

Andreas

Thomas Mauer
12-17-2008, 03:41 PM
It's ordered! (And I updated my post in the preorders thread.)

Also sent an email to Hobie and Lamond since we were talking about this earlier and they wanted to know as well.

TonyFleecs
12-17-2008, 03:42 PM
All right, sold!

Thanks, Tom. ;)
Any time, dude.

Your pal,
Tom Beland

ps. As always, I love Lily. And weed. And Puerto Rico. Buy my comics.

Brewtown Andy
12-17-2008, 05:09 PM
WARNING: TSSTG is not safe for consumption by women who have undergone a C-section in the last 24 hours.

Seriously.

My wife had to put it down because she was afraid she was going to blow a stitch laughing.

TomBelandTSSTG
12-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Any time, dude.

Your pal,
Tom Beland

ps. As always, I love Lily. And weed. And Puerto Rico. Buy my comics.

OMG... you do wear my skin!! DEMONNN!!! BEGONE!!!!

heheheh... tickles.

Puerto Rico is nice and cool tonight. The only thing you can hear are the gentle chirps of the coqui frogs. Be careful if you hear them for the first time... you will be addicted.

Yeah, this particular book collects all the TSSTG strips. This was all originally a weekly comic strip that I did for the Napa Valley Register and the Vallejo Times Herald. And then the strip went online for a while until I decided to switch to comic book format.

I compare the book of strips to standup comedy. Quick jokes, in then out. There's a very cool rhythm to pacing of a comic strip. Keith Knight inspired me to do that strip.

The comic book archive (I just spelled that word wrong five fucking times) reads more like a movie. If you've only read the books, you'll recognize some of the scenes come right out of some strips. You can take your time in a comic book format to really look into a story.

Both forms absolutely rocks. I'm really love trying new methods of storytelling. I'm working in the Marvel Method with this new Spidey/Torch book in March.

It's where you give a strong outline and let the artist work their magic and then you get the pages and you work the dialogue to fit the art. It's cool because Juan can work with angles and action much better than I can. So I might be able to do more with my dialogue because I now have this much cooler view. And it's Doe... no need to continue.

With doing strips, I really learned how to jab jab jab... POP. Meaning I knew I could set up and get the punch line in eight panels. It's such a limited amount of space and it's great when you nail it. I mean GREAT. I felt I got as good at it as Keith at one point, then he decided to syndicate K. CHRONICLES as a daily and you know that scene where the Coyote gets THATCLOSE to the Road Runner and the bird jets off and disappears? That was me as the Coyote. You have to have BALLS to do a daily.

And then, of course the style I use for my book. Which is do it... wait... check it out.... be fucking critical, by which I mean I really had to be critical, because it's for my wife. It's real. And I want to get that same vibe I have with Lily in real life and get it on paper. When you can duplicate a scene that actually took place in your life... it's fucking insane. I have had better therapy doing this series than any psychiatrists I'd ever seen.

Because in my book, I have to take this huge blob of stuff... what happened... and just start slapping it onto the canvas (which I just realized sounds hilariously dirty, but I'm really trying to prove a point) and shape everything into something that makes the reader actually feel it.

So, anyhoooo... you can have a great read with the 100 Stories. If you don't I'll buy your copy off you, because I'm out of them.

Seriously. Go for it!!

Peace

jason hissong
12-17-2008, 07:48 PM
It's awesome. That's all one needs to know.

Thomas Mauer
12-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Tom, I'm looking forward to the collection. You are aces!