PDA

View Full Version : Newsarama's Comic Book of the Year--Huh?

Joe Henderson
12-17-2008, 02:07 PM
They limit it to just Final Crisis and Secret Invasion, one of which isn't even finished? And list Batman: RIP and Loeb's Hulk run as books that would otherwise make the list?

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/081217-2008-showdown-comics.html

Just a bit...odd, don't you think?

bartleby
12-17-2008, 02:09 PM

It's a pretty clear choice between two releases from the 'Big Two' publishers.

Nick Spencer
12-17-2008, 02:10 PM
They limit it to just Final Crisis and Secret Invasion, one of which isn't even finished? And list Batman: RIP and Loeb's Hulk run as books that would otherwise make the list?

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/081217-2008-showdown-comics.html

extremely. it's impossible to judge FC, it's not finished. Not a fair poll at all.

And yeah, should've been a LOT more choices. All-Star Superman finished this year, for God's sake.

NickT
12-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I really struggle to imagine that SI or FC would win a best of the year poll with more choices.

Ben
12-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Time Magazine just announced their Comic Book of the Year, too:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6277/340xef9.jpg

TomBelandTSSTG
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
As much a Marvel dude as I am... I have to say that All Star Superman was one amazing series.

The issue of FF where Reed gives Sue the ring was also great.

But even so... the recent Waid/Martin Amazing Spider-Man is my choice.

Joe Henderson
12-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd say it's between:

Action Comics: Brainiac
Amazing Spider-man: the Waid/Marcos Martin arc
Fables (whatever the last arc was)

Any other suggestions?

Ashwin Pande
12-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Was Sinestro Corps War this year or last year?

NickT
12-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Was Sinestro Corps War this year or last year?
Didn't it just sneak into this year?

RickLM
12-17-2008, 02:28 PM
It's like the Grammy Awards. You win for selling 10 million units, not for contributing to artistic excellence.

chazbot
12-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Proof!

NickT
12-17-2008, 02:31 PM
What we're meant to vote on:

Remember, as with 'Movie of the Year', we're not asking your solely what your personal favorite series, issue, or story was in particular, but to consider all the relevant factors – sales, 'buzz', impact on other titles, quality, along with your own personal preference to determine what the industry's most impactful comic book(s) of the year was.
Ignoring the fact that everyone is just putting theor personal preference, that criteria is flawed for this competition. SI had the highest sales and SI is the only one to have finished and thus the only one we know what the actual impact would be. If you're going to judge on that criteria there is no way Final Crisis should win, mainly because it hasn't finished.

AceOfSpades
12-17-2008, 02:32 PM
No Captain America either?
Or All Star Superman?
Or Walking Dead?

But two mediocre summer events?
Pfft

Criden
12-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Par for the course from Newsarama's terrible review team.

Sy-Klone
12-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Because one can never have too many Marvel versus DC arguments. To pit Secret Invasion against Final Crisis is to once again fuel arguments based on that whole Marvel/DC rivalry.

Personally, I prefer to focus on the stuff I liked from a variety of publishers.

Y the Last Man ended strongly. Fables had amazing arcs with The Good Prince and War and Pieces. All-Star Superman captured what Superman is all about. Batman R.I.P. saw Batman face ultimate evil, while Green Lantern battled Sinestro and his Corps as they spread fear throughout the universe. Superman spent time with the Legion of Superheroes and faced Brainiac. Evil won in the DC Universe. We've seen a new Captain America, Thor amongst rural Oklahoman farmers, and an alien infiltration fueled by religious fervor. Spider-Man lost his wedding ring and became America's favorite hard-luck hero again. The X-Men found a new home. We saw more Tales Designed to Thrizzle, met Atomic Robo, spent some time with criminals in Criminal, battled aliens in Fear Agent, visited the Umbrella Academy, and continued to watch Hellboy punch stuff.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. All in all? It's been a pretty cool year. :D

Lanowar
12-17-2008, 02:51 PM
IGN did there comics of the year stuff unless I am mistaken All Star 10? won best comic while Thor won best ongoing.

I'm sure someone whose not going by memory will be able to confirm or deny this.

Thomas Mauer
12-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Where the fuck is Scalped on that list?

Christian Beranek
12-17-2008, 03:20 PM
There is life outside of the "Big 2" you know. I'm living that life and it's not a bad one.

As for this poll... uh, eh... may the best event comic win?

Btw, everyone should read Steven Grant's column about the lack of standout projects in 2008: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19027

Thomas Mauer
12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
There is life outside of the "Big 2" you know. I'm living that life and it's not a bad one.

As for this poll... uh, eh... may the best event comic win?

Btw, everyone should read Steven Grant's column about the lack of standout projects in 2008: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19027

Love what Grant wrote there.

bartleby
12-17-2008, 03:24 PM
The problem isn't so much that Newsarama put only those two books on the poll as it is that Newsarama did a poll in the first place. Because of the huge sales advantage that FINAL CRISIS and SECRET INVASION have over most books, there were going to win regardless of what else was in the poll.

It's no different than if the Oscars were decided by letting the average moviegoer vote for the best movie of the year. Chances are you're going to end up in a horse race between THE DARK KNIGHT and IRON MAN with movies like MILK and SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE falling way behind.

NickT
12-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Where the fuck is Scalped on that list?
In the criteria Newsarama asks for, Scalped isn't a good fit.

Albert
12-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Makes sense to me.

:neutral: