PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Etiquette

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I have a friend who's getting married in February and I'm going to be part of the wedding party. I realize I'll be paired up with one of the brides maids or matrons of honor, but I was wondering if it was acceptable to bring a date.
If so what is the etiquette for that? E.g. how far in advance should I ask?

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to the hilarious derailment of this thread.

Jim T.
12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I would think a date is assumed. You're only paired up for the ceremony. I've once or twice seen teh pairing continue onto the reception and everyone sitting up at the same table, but all involved hated it so I don't think it's that popluar.

Buk Was Right
12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Have you gotten your actual invitation yet?

That will usually indicate whether or not you are allowed a +1 (Foggy Nelson style).

I think your "paired up with a bridesmaid" duties basically involve walking down the aisle with them before and after the ceremony... Also the sex.

dasNdanger
12-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Whatever you do, don't get drunk and punch the bride!

Or diddle her under the wedding cake table...

das

Jim T.
12-17-2008, 10:52 AM

das

I suspect there are now 2 stories (or 1 really awesome one) that Das will have to share with the group...

BaconWhoreSqueeeaaal
12-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I suspect there are now 2 stories (or 1 really awesome one) that Das will have to share with the group...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/iand1993/Scruffy_Futurama.jpg

SgtPepper
Have you gotten your actual invitation yet?

That will usually indicate whether or not you are allowed a +1 (Foggy Nelson style).

I think your "paired up with a bridesmaid" duties basically involve walking down the aisle with them before and after the ceremony... Also the sex.

Haven't gotten an invitation yet. Couple still has to mail them out.
I've spoken with the groom and he was very enthusiastic. We've been buddies since high school.

RegularJoe
i brought a 'date' to my brothers wedding when i was best man. it was really a girl that i was hoping to set up with my friend cliff. so i invited her to be my date...but the only person at the wedding she knew other than me was cliff so i made sure my brother and sister-in-law sat them together since i'd be at the wedding party table.

so i'm not sure this helps at all.

Akira
12-17-2008, 10:55 AM

das

Hell of a wedding day, huh?

Jason California
12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Being paired of with one of the girls is just for the ceremony. Bringing a date should be no problem unless they are only slotting you for 1 person. Talk with your buddy now and tell him you are interested in bringing someone now so that he can include that when he and the fiance are planning seating arrangements.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/iand1993/Scruffy_Futurama.jpg

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/000/384/0000038496_350.jpg

i brought a 'date' to my brothers wedding when i was best man. it was really a girl that i was hoping to set up with my friend cliff. so i invited her to be my date...but the only person at the wedding she knew other than me was cliff so i made sure my brother and sister-in-law sat them together since i'd be at the wedding party table.

so i'm not sure this helps at all.

That's cool. I was hoping to a mix of advice and some cool wedding stories.
Your input is very welcome. :)

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I would think a date is assumed. You're only paired up for the ceremony. I've once or twice seen teh pairing continue onto the reception and everyone sitting up at the same table, but all involved hated it so I don't think it's that popluar.

Cool.
I was wondering about that aspect of it.
Thanks

Being paired of with one of the girls is just for the ceremony. Bringing a date should be no problem unless they are only slotting you for 1 person. Talk with your buddy now and tell him you are interested in bringing someone now so that he can include that when he and the fiance are planning seating arrangements.

Yeah, I texted him about it, and I'll discuss it further with him on the phone.
The kid really looks up to me. He called me a few weeks back to tell me that I was his favorite person in the world. I was like, "Cool, I beat Ringo and Paul." Because he's become a really huge Beatles fan the past year or so, *gets shifty eyed* I wonder why.

Also, I feel he owes me a little to accomodate me, since he's getting married on my 20th birthday, which oddly enough is also the 45th anniversary of The Beatles arriving in America.

RegularJoe
12-17-2008, 11:13 AM
http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/000/384/0000038496_350.jpg

That's cool. I was hoping to a mix of advice and some cool wedding stories.
Your input is very welcome. :)

well, happy story, they're totally dating now. due, in no small part, to my mechanations.

ClintP
12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Only if you plan to dress her like you and use her as your stand in while you raid the food area while dressed as her.

Dan-C
12-17-2008, 11:19 AM
totally acceptable to bring a date

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Only if you plan to dress her like you and use her as your stand in while you raid the food area while dressed as her.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee244/erzsebetbattery/BarneyBikini.gif

totally acceptable to bring a date

Cool beans.

ClintP
12-17-2008, 11:28 AM

That is what your date might wear to a wedding? Your date is totally a slut... :thumb:

maverick-99
12-17-2008, 11:29 AM
perfectly acceptable

Generic Poster
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
You need a droid programmed for etiquette and protocol to get you through these things.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
That is what your date might wear to a wedding? Your date is totally a slut... :thumb:

I'd feel really awkward if she did.
Considering it'll be the first week of February.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 11:32 AM
You need a droid programmed for etiquette and protocol to get you through these things.

Should it speak Bachi?

Generic Poster
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Should it speak Bachi?

Only if he works as a cargo loader or moisture farmer.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Only if he works as a cargo loader or moisture farmer.

What about binary load lifters?

Generic Poster
12-17-2008, 11:39 AM
What about binary load lifters?

That's why I said cargo loader!!! :-x

FredC
12-17-2008, 11:39 AM

..."Doo doo, doot doo doot doot doo..."

FuturisticPlans
12-17-2008, 11:43 AM
If you get a +1 on the invite, totally bring a date. You can always save a dance for your assigned bridesmaid.

I was a bridesmaid only once. In a very Baptist wedding. So, I didn't get to dance with anyone. But, if dancing weren't the start of a steady decline into fornication and drug use... I would have thought it a nice gesture from my groomsman.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 11:49 AM
If you get a +1 on the invite, totally bring a date. You can always save a dance for your assigned bridesmaid.

I was a bridesmaid only once. In a very Baptist wedding. So, I didn't get to dance with anyone. But, if dancing weren't the start of a steady decline into fornication and drug use... I would have thought it a nice gesture from my groomsman.

It all makes sense!
Rock singers dance onstage and then give their souls over to Satan!

As far as a date goes, does a wedding put more pressure on the person being asked as far as the future relationship?

Also, how soon in advance should I ask the person I want to take with me?

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 11:50 AM
That's why I said cargo loader!!! :-x

:heart:

Buk Was Right
12-17-2008, 11:53 AM
It all makes sense!
Rock singers dance onstage and then give their souls over to Satan!

As far as a date goes, does a wedding put more pressure on the person being asked as far as the future relationship?

Also, how soon in advance should I ask the person I want to take with me?

It's probably not an ideal FIRST date... Keep in mind that since you're a groomsman you'll be away doing some wedding stuff like pictures and such so there may be some periods in which she'll be flying solo... which can be sucky for her.

As far as lead time, since she's a woman (I'm assuming) she'll need like a million months to find the perfect dress (that you probably won't even notice you dick) and shoes (that will be supremely uncomfortable, but look nice so she'll probably sit down for most of the night... ironically with her feet under the table) so the more lead time the better.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Since she's a woman (I'm assuming) she'll need like a million months to find the perfect dress (that you probably won't even notice you dick) and shoes (that will be supremely uncomfortable, but look nice so she'll probably sit down for most of the night... ironically with her feet under the table) so the more lead time the better.

That's what I was assuming.
Thanks!

PimpSlapStick!
12-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I have a friend who's getting married in February and I'm going to be part of the wedding party. I realize I'll be paired up with one of the brides maids or matrons of honor, but I was wondering if it was acceptable to bring a date.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to the hilarious derailment of this thread.

Of course bring a date man, you ain't getting married to the bridesmaid

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Of course bring a date man, you ain't getting married to the bridesmaid

Is there any specific baggage related to bringing a date to a wedding?

e.g. Does it convey something unintended? Is it a bad idea for an early date?

Gordon Chumway
12-17-2008, 06:45 PM
When you get your invite it will either be for you, or you and a guest. Many people who get invited to weddings are not intended to bring guests.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
When you get your invite it will either be for you, or you and a guest. Many people who get invited to weddings are not intended to bring guests.

I've already talked to the groom, he's one of my best friends, and he was very enthusiastic about me bringing a date.

I'm just mainly concerned if it's a bad idea to ask a girl who've never been on a date with or have been on a date with once or twice.

Gordon Chumway
12-17-2008, 06:50 PM
I've already talked to the groom, he's one of my best friends, and he was very enthusiastic about me bringing a date.

I'm just mainly concerned if it's a bad idea to ask a girl who've never been on a date with or have been on a date with once or twice.

You will be expected to dance and eat a proper meal in front of her. Can you do both those things?

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 06:52 PM
You will be expected to dance and eat a proper meal in front of her. Can you do both those things?

I didn't do four years of drama for nothing.

I just figured there was a weird stigma attached to being a wedding date or something.

Gordon Chumway
12-17-2008, 06:53 PM

I just figured there was a weird stigma attached to being a wedding date or something.

It'll be fine.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 06:54 PM
It'll be fine.

Cool beans.

FredC

Only if she catches the Bouquet.

SteveZegers
Bring a date, don't be shocked if you don't get to sit with her.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Only if she catches the Bouquet.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4459418/2/istockphoto_4459418-iron-ball-and-chain.jpg

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Bring a date, don't be shocked if you don't get to sit with her.

Cool, I figured that might be a problem.

FredC
12-17-2008, 06:57 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4459418/2/istockphoto_4459418-iron-ball-and-chain.jpg

You become the Absorbing man?

http://www.samruby.com/Villains/AbsorbingMan/AbsorbingManChain.gif

Admittedly, that would make weddings a helluva lot cooler.

SteveZegers
12-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Cool, I figured that might be a problem.

I've been to weddings that have the whole wedding party sit together, and others that group you with your date/family/whatever. The second makes more sense to me, but you aren't really at your chair all that much anyway.

JEK
12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
this is a tough call. if you are in a current relationship, or are even dating someone, then yes you should invite them as a date, if not then no, because you will not really spend a whole lot of time with them. that is why if there is someone in your life you ask them.

actually i have been the date for my girlfriend at like 7 weddings where she has stood up and i did not, (i am kinda known as an ass by most of our (her) friends so i dont get asked) and i usally have a nice time.

Darthdaw37
12-17-2008, 07:01 PM
It sucks that I might Not be able to make it, I already told Mat, but It would be super awesome If I could go. Then I was asked by the comic shop owner If I wanted to Go to NYCC with him that weekend. And he's going with Newsarama. It sucks because thats a hard choice, I would go to the Wedding but I most likely wont get the money for a Plane ticket.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
You become the Absorbing man?

http://www.samruby.com/Villains/AbsorbingMan/AbsorbingManChain.gif

Admittedly, that would make weddings a helluva lot cooler.

That'd be awesome AND it'd be the best birthday present ever, since it's scheduled the same day as my 20th.

I've been to weddings that have the whole wedding party sit together, and others that group you with your date/family/whatever. The second makes more sense to me, but you aren't really at your chair all that much anyway.

Ah, so it's kind of like prom.
Makes sense.

SteveZegers
12-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Makes sense.

Yeah, that's a fair way to look at it. As long as you potential date is friendly and might not mind having to be solo for a little while, (Like for the ceremony, and pictures) you'll be fine.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 07:04 PM
this is a tough call. if you are in a current relationship, or are even dating someone, then yes you should invite them as a date, if not then no, because you will not really spend a whole lot of time with them. that is why if there is someone in your life you ask them.

actually i have been the date for my girlfriend at like 7 weddings where she has stood up and i did not, (i am kinda known as an ass by most of our (her) friends so i dont get asked) and i usally have a nice time.

I'm not.
I'll definitely keep that in mind.
It's part of the reason I'm hesistant to take someone.

It sucks that I might Not be able to make it, I already told Mat, but It would be super awesome If I could go. Then I was asked by the comic shop owner If I wanted to Go to NYCC with him that weekend. And he's going with Newsarama. It sucks because thats a hard choice, I would go to the Wedding but I most likely wont get the money for a Plane ticket.

Well I know you'd rather be with your comics than be in town for my birthday.

;)

FredC
That'd be awesome AND it'd be the best birthday present ever, since it's scheduled the same day as my 20th.

Makes sense.

Unless you turn into the Nick Nolte Absorbing Dad from the movie.

...who, I point out, would have been way cooler with the wrecking ball.

Darthdaw37

Thats right it is on your b-day

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Thats right it is on your b-day

Yup.

So I think if you go to NYCC you should drag your ass to Strawberry Fields and get me some photos.
Also get some phots of the Dakota.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Unless you turn into the Nick Nolte Absorbing Dad from the movie.

...who, I point out, would have been way cooler with the wrecking ball.

Ha ha.

Man that'd be an awkward drive back to Bloomington.

Darthdaw37
12-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Yup.

So I think if you go to NYCC you should drag your ass to Strawberry Fields and get me some photos.
Also get some phots of the Dakota.

Could you imagine getting a press pass that would be the shit, But you know I would go to the wedding.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Could you imagine getting a press pass that would be the shit, But you know I would go to the wedding.

Yup.
I want a fedora to wear my press passes in.

silverboy
12-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Bringing a date shouldn't be a problem, but I wonder if the date will have a good time if you have to sit at the head table all night.

PimpSlapStick!
12-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Is there any specific baggage related to bringing a date to a wedding?

e.g. Does it convey something unintended? Is it a bad idea for an early date?

Ok theres two minds to this question, one bringing a date (especially a first date) to a wedding could infer to the date that you are a guy who wants a committed relationship and she in kind could find this really appealing and lead her to go into a crazy female fantasy and if your husband material or not. Bad move if you don't want that kinda pressure, the second it could give the impression your potentially clingy and she may not want anything that serious.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Bringing a date shouldn't be a problem, but I wonder if the date will have a good time if you have to sit at the head table all night.

That's a definite concern.
Maybe I can pick up an LMD for cheap.

Darthdaw37
12-17-2008, 07:14 PM
But on the topic Andrew I would say no to you bringing a date. I just don't think they would have fun. Hell I don't think you'll have fun.

half guard
12-17-2008, 07:14 PM

And then Jim...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/jasondinger/jimp.gif

...IN HIS PANTS!

McJerk
12-17-2008, 07:15 PM

Treat both like they're your date.

Also the bride.

SgtPepper
12-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Ok theres two minds to this question, one bringing a date (especially a first date) to a wedding could infer to the date that you are a guy who wants a committed relationship and she in kind could find this really appealing and lead her to go into a crazy female fantasy and if your husband material or not. Bad move if you don't want that kinda pressure, the second it could give the impression your potentially clingy and she may not want anything that serious.

Yeah, that's a worry of mine. I don't want to send the wrong signals.

But on the topic Andrew I would say no to you bringing a date. I just don't think they would have fun. Hell I don't think you'll have fun.

I've been to a few weddings. I was the ring bearer in my aunt's wedding and I attended the wedding of my mother's law school classmate. The first one was a Catholic ceremony and the second was an Eastern Orthodox ceremony. I can handle anything.

And then Jim...

...IN HIS PANTS!

Pre-mature plooking.
Every man's fear.
(Did I use plook correctly?)

Treat both like they're your date.

Also the bride.

Cool.
Thanks.
Welcome to the board by the way!

Darthdaw37
12-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I've been to a few weddings. I was the ring bearer in my aunt's wedding and I attended the wedding of my mother's law school classmate. The first one was a Catholic ceremony and the second was an Eastern Orthodox ceremony. I can handle anything.

I know you could handle it but Having a date with all the stuff you'll have to do, At my sister's Wedding I didn't have any time to my self.

PimpSlapStick!
12-17-2008, 07:31 PM
And then Jim...

...IN HIS PANTS!

On the wedding cake

or in it :scared:

McJerk
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't want to get married ever because I don't like dancing.

Ben
12-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't want to get married ever because I don't like dancing.You don't have to have dancing at your wedding. Hell, you don't even need to have a wedding to get married.