PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero: Metallica

Ryudo
12-16-2008, 06:10 AM
The newest issue of GameInformer has details on Guitar Hero: Metallica. And I'm going to post them here for you guys to check out.

First, the game is built on the GHWT engine. That means guitar, bass, drums, and vocals, which I honestly feel they should've done with Aerosmith, but that's another thing for another time. However, they're reworking the sprites and the stages, because if you've been to a Metallica concert, you know they perform "in the round" - that is to say, generally in the middle of an arena with fans surrounding them. Definitely sounds like it will look cool.

Next, there are a few enhancements to the "normal" game. The game won't only feature the song list and stages, but will include the GHTunes function from GHWT. In addition to the music creator, you'll be able to harness two new sounds, one sampled directly from James Hetfield's ESP Truckster guitar, and another from Slayer bassist Tom Arraya's ESP bass. Also, the drums will have a difficulty called Expert +. If you have a splitter and two bass pedals, you will be able to play the drum parts exactly as they appear on the record, with the double bass action. Instead of the "behind the music" style game that GHA offered, there will be more of a DVD-style extra content set including photos, set lists, videos, and rare live and behind the scenes footage. There will also be pop-up video esque "Metallfacts" that will come up as you watch performances of each track. There's also a new cheat: Drum Fill Mode lets you turn the drum track totally off and freestyle over tracks in the game.

The career is based on "a true-life story of a European band that followed Metallica around, angling for an opening spot. At the end of the tour, they were rewarded with a gig opening for their heroes. Along the way, you'll play in a number of real-life venues that have a special significance to the band's career."

And finally, the part you really care about: the tracklist. It's said to feature over 45 songs, with slightly over 60 percent Metallica and the rest by outside artists that either influenced Metallica or have had a positive impact on their career. The tracklist was picked by the Metallica members, and then whittled down to something manageable (the article says Lars picked over 500 songs). Here's what has been released so far:

Alice In Chains - "No Excuses"
Bob Seger - "Turn the Page"
Judas Priest - "Hell Bent for Leather"
Kyuss - "Demon Cleaner"
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Tuesdays's Gone"
Mastodon - "Blood and Thunder"
Metallica - "Enter Sandman"
Metallica - "For Whom the Bell Tolls"
Metallica - "Fuel"
Metallica - "Hit the Lights"
Metallica - "King Nothing"
Metallica - "Master of Puppets"
Metallica - "No Leaf Clover"
Metallica - "Nothing Else Matters"
Metallica - "Sad But True"
Metallica - The Unforgiven"
Metallica - "Wherever I May Roam"
Michael Schenker Group - "Armed and Ready"
Samhain - "Mother of Mercy"
The Sword - "Black River"

OTHER ARTISTS TO BE INCLUDED
Foo Fighters
Slayer
Queen

No idea on a release date yet, but when I see one I'll post it here.

Evan the Shaggy
12-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Awesome.

TheKraken
12-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Jesus Christ, there's only three Metallica songs worth a damn on that list. I knew it would probably focus more on their shitty albums, but that's horrendous. Hopefully they just haven't announced the good ones yet...

Alice-In-Chains, Judas Priest, Mastodon and Samhain are the most appealing selections in a game with Metallica's name on it... that's pretty funny.

cPol
12-16-2008, 06:20 AM
*sniffle* I'm gonna be able to jam out on "Mother of Mercy". 'tis a beautiful day. <wipes tear>

Evan the Shaggy
12-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Jesus Christ, there's only three Metallica songs worth a damn on that list. I knew it would probably focus more on their shitty albums, but that's horrendous. Hopefully they just haven't announced the good ones yet...

Alice-In-Chains, Judas Priest, Mastodon and Samhain are the most appealing selections in a game with Metallica's name on it... that's pretty funny.

I'm kinda surprised I don't see Ecstacy of Gold up there.

TheKraken
12-16-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm kinda surprised I don't see Ecstacy of Gold up there.

That probably won't happen since they're including vocals in the game. I'd love them to include "Call of Ktulu," but it will probably be left out for the same reason (or just for not sucking).

Evan the Shaggy
12-16-2008, 06:25 AM
That probably won't happen since they're including vocals in the game. I'd love them to include "Call of Ktulu," but it will probably be left out for the same reason (or just for not sucking).

What are the three songs you were referring to in your original post?

I'm curious.

TheKraken
12-16-2008, 06:28 AM
What are the three songs you were referring to in your original post?

I'm curious.

"For Whom the Bell Tolls," "Hit the Lights" and "Master of Puppets."

Evan the Shaggy
12-16-2008, 06:30 AM

Yeah, although I personally would add No Leaf Clover and Unforgiven to that list.

Ultimate Lurker
12-16-2008, 06:32 AM

Basically anything before 1990. I agree.

Queen of the Ban Age
12-16-2008, 06:33 AM
The first GH I have zero interest in! Yay!

I want GH: Megadeth, dammit.

noble
12-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Yeah GHWT was my last GH game.

Not that it wasn't an all right game mind you, but if I'm going to play a full band game, I might as well do it in the one I have fun with.

I just didn't like all the changes to the Rock Band established formula for full band.

I know, I know, GH isn't Rock band and I understand why they made the changes (so they wouldn't be accused of just out and out cut and pasting Rock band to a GH game), but some of the changes made no sense, and I'm really not a fan of the note charts put out by Neversoft.

So I'll just stick with old faithful, and hope that these songs(and ones from WT that I like) will eventually make their way to RB.

cPol
12-16-2008, 06:38 AM
It only makes sense that they're going to lead off with the majority of tracks coming from "The Black Album". That's the record with the most sales, so it follows that the songs from it will get the most widespread recognition. I have no doubt that the deeper cuts will follow.

Ryudo
12-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah GHWT was my last GH game.

Not that it wasn't an all right game mind you, but if I'm going to play a full band game, I might as well do it in the one I have fun with.

I just didn't like all the changes to the Rock Band established formula for full band.

I know, I know, GH isn't Rock band and I understand why they made the changes (so they wouldn't be accused of just out and out cut and pasting Rock band to a GH game), but some of the changes made no sense, and I'm really not a fan of the note charts put out by Neversoft.

So I'll just stick with old faithful, and hope that these songs(and ones from WT that I like) will eventually make their way to RB.

Doubtful. There's a reason why you couldn't pull Enter Sandman to your hard drive when copying the RB1 songs.

RebootedCorpse
12-16-2008, 06:44 AM
On
Board

noble
12-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Doubtful. There's a reason why you couldn't pull Enter Sandman to your hard drive when copying the RB1 songs.

I'm not saying next year, or even the year after that.

Eventually I'm betting Activision will run the franchise into the ground, and then Hmx can pick up the artists they don't have in RB yet.

I'm patient I can wait.

Ryudo
12-16-2008, 06:49 AM
I'm not saying next year, or even the year after that.

Eventually I'm betting Activision will run the franchise into the ground, and then Hmx can pick up the artists they don't have in RB yet.

I'm patient I can wait.

Thanks for turning this into an Activision-bashing thread, btw.

If good graphics, band-endorsed extra materials and background information, and excellent tracklists are "running it into the ground," then I welcome the action.

noble
12-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks for turning this into an Activision-bashing thread, btw.

If good graphics, band-endorsed extra materials and background information, and excellent tracklists are "running it into the ground," then I welcome the action.

I wasn't bashing Activision.

They are planning on releasing 9 games in 2010 in the GH franchise.

That's what I meant by running it into the ground.

The gameplay is solid for people that like it(I'm just not one of them), but can the market really stand that kind of saturation?

I like Rock Band, but there's no way in hell I'd buy 9 iterations of the game in one year.

I can't think of any game I'd do that for.

That's what I meant by running it into the ground, just oversaturation of the product.

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2008, 07:09 AM
I want.

For years I tried to better myself at guitar and play along to Metallica tracks. I practiced every day for weeks until I was able to play Sanitarium, until I was able to play Fade to Black, minutes to learn how to play Mama Said.

Then one day I decided to hang up my guitar.

Now... now I get a second chance!

IN PLASTIC!!!

:rock:

Ultimate Lurker
12-16-2008, 07:12 AM
I want.

For years I tried to better myself at guitar and play along to Metallica tracks. I practiced every day for weeks until I was able to play Sanitarium, until I was able to play Fade to Black, minutes to learn how to play Mama Said.

Then one day I decided to hang up my guitar.

Now... now I get a second chance!

IN PLASTIC!!!

Same with me. Fade to Black on my crappy $100 acoustic in my bedroom, ahhh memories.

el_abuelo
12-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Yes! Master of Puppets!

I must own this

CWebb
12-16-2008, 07:47 AM
http://a944.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01362/34/95/1362595943_l.jpg

Dave Mustaine wept

RebootedCorpse
12-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I grew a mullet just looking at that list!
Awesome.

THWIP!
12-16-2008, 07:55 AM
I can't wait for this. It should be out by the end of the 1st quarter next year.

Also, Noble. GH is putting out 9 games next year? What are they?

noble
12-16-2008, 08:02 AM
I can't wait for this. It should be out by the end of the 1st quarter next year.

Also, Noble. GH is putting out 9 games next year? What are they?

They haven't stated what they are but they said they want to triple the output of GH games by 2010. 3 came out this year, so logically that equates to 9 new installments.

Let me find the quote...

noble
12-16-2008, 08:04 AM
This is from Kotaku :

And You Think There Are Too Many Guitar Hero Games NOW?
By Luke Plunkett, 10:30 PM on Mon Sep 15 2008, 6,070 views
Wait til you see the future! During their analyst's day conference call earlier today, Activision announced their intent to run the Guitar Hero brand into the ground. While Bobby Kotick said in May that they want to continue to "expand" the franchise, they've today got specific, saying that means they want 3x the number of Guitar Hero games on the market in 2010, by bringing in more and more developers to work on the series. Yeah. Three times. There'll have been three Guitar Hero games in 2008 by the time Christmas rolls around, so you do the math. Guitar Hero: Timbaland, coming soon!

THWIP!
12-16-2008, 08:20 AM
This is from Kotaku :

Wait til you see the future! During their analyst's day conference call earlier today, Activision announced their intent to run the Guitar Hero brand into the ground. While Bobby Kotick said in May that they want to continue to "expand" the franchise, they've today got specific, saying that means they want 3x the number of Guitar Hero games on the market in 2010, by bringing in more and more developers to work on the series. Yeah. Three times. There'll have been three Guitar Hero games in 2008 by the time Christmas rolls around, so you do the math. Guitar Hero: Timbaland, coming soon!

Hmm. I think saturating the market is a bad idea. I'm sure there will be a lot for the DS ones since there's no DLC for that. But if this means I can get an Guitar Hero: Offspring or Guitar Hero: Lamb of God I'm down.

edwardmblake
12-16-2008, 08:21 AM
The Queen song has got to be Stone Cold Crazy.

CWebb
12-16-2008, 09:30 AM
The Queen song has got to be Stone Cold Crazy.
Good call. They covered it on Garage Days IIRC.

Ultimate Lurker
12-16-2008, 09:40 AM
This is from Kotaku :

2008:
Guitar Hero On Tour - DS
Guitar Hero Aerosmith - Consoles
Guitar Hero World Tour - Consoles
Guitar Hero Backstage Pass - Mobile
Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades - DS

So 3x would be 15 in 2010...

noble
12-16-2008, 09:47 AM
2008:
Guitar Hero On Tour - DS
Guitar Hero Aerosmith - Consoles
Guitar Hero World Tour - Consoles
Guitar Hero Backstage Pass - Mobile
Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades - DS

Gadzooks.

I honestly am not sure how you could put 15 out.

I mean sequel to all the 'main games' will get you 3. Then you have to figure two or three band centric games will get you up to five or six.

But the rest...I'm just not sure what the plan would be there.

mattbrand
12-16-2008, 09:47 AM

You said it!

noble
12-16-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm actually glad to see some Queen. Hopefully it's a master track and not more covers.

TheKraken
12-16-2008, 09:53 AM

This leaves me more convinced than ever that "3x" meant "more than we made this year" rather than a concrete game plan.

Garth
12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I know Activision is a business and wants to make money, but jeez, the way they rape their franchises is beyond comprehension. Tony Hawk, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero...they are requiring new games ever year...jesus.

el_abuelo
12-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Trailer for Guitar Hero: Metallica (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601748)

Garth
12-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Trailer for Guitar Hero: Metallica (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601748)

Not gonna lie, that was a pretty cool trailer.

el_abuelo
12-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Not gonna lie, that was a pretty cool trailer.

The good, the bad and the ugly + Master of Puppets, can't get much cooler

THWIP!
12-19-2008, 09:37 PM

Hadn't seen that, only the one that was on the GHWT game. That was fucking awesome.

Marcdachamp
12-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I like the additions, but FUCK I hate Metallica.

noble
12-20-2008, 04:20 AM
I'll give them credit where credit is due, they know how to market the hell out of their games.

That was a damn cool trailer :)

Ryudo
12-20-2008, 05:12 AM
The good, the bad and the ugly + Master of Puppets, can't get much cooler

The trailer just sold me. I'm buying it.

paul brian deberry
12-20-2008, 07:25 AM
kewl!

CWebb
12-20-2008, 07:33 AM
I like the additions, but FUCK I hate Metallica.
:cry:

paul brian deberry
12-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I want to put together a band... I can sing and play both guitar and bass ... sure only on medium/hard... but if you wanna be part of a band. Please send me your gamertag or befriend badPOP.

TheKraken
12-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd be up for it if I still had a Gold membership. I might upgrade again soon...

TheHanna
12-28-2008, 09:23 PM
It saddens me deeply to see Judas Priest shoved into a corner of a Guitar Hero: Metallica game. I am looking forward to playing Blood and Thunder, though.

Albert
12-28-2008, 09:53 PM
I hope it has Die, Die My Darling (by the Misfits) on it.

Ryudo
01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Update: tentative release dates have been set.

March 30 - XB360 and PS3

May 6 - Wii and PS2

lovewillkill
01-19-2009, 01:02 PM

You are the second person I've heard say that in the past few weeks.

I am frightened.

lwk

Garth
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
I hope it has Die, Die My Darling (by the Misfits) on it.

I would be happy with anything by the original Misfits.

Ultimate Lurker
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I think people who want GH Megadeth over GH Metallica live in bizarro world.

noble
01-24-2009, 04:45 AM
Metallica has spilled the beans on the entire track list for the game :

Metallica Songs

All Nightmare Long
Battery
Creeping Death
Disposable Heroes
Dyers Eve
Enter Sandman
Fade To Black
Fight Fire With Fire
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Frantic
Fuel
Hit The Lights
King Nothing
Master of Puppets
Mercyful Fate (Medley)
No Leaf Clover
Nothing Else Matters
One
Orion
Sad But True
Seek And Destroy
The Memory Remains
The Shortest Straw
The Thing That Should Not Be
The Unforgiven
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Wherever I May Roam
Whiplash

Other Artists

Alice In Chains - No Excuses
Bob Seger - Turn The Page
Corrosion of Conformity - Albatross
Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
Foo Fighters - Stacked Actors
Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather
Kyuss - Demon Cleaner
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesdays Gone
Machine Head - Beautiful Mourning
Mastodon - Blood And Thunder
Mercyful Fate - Evil
Michael Schenker Group - Armed and Ready
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Queen - Stone Cold Crazy
Samhain - Mother of Mercy
Slayer - War Ensemble
Social Distortion - Mommy's Little Monster
Suicidal Tendencies - War Inside My Head
System of a Down - Toxicity
The Sword - Black River
Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back in Town

THWIP!
01-24-2009, 05:16 AM
May 6th for the Wii. What the fuck.

Ashwin Pande
01-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Hell bent! Hell bent for LEAAAATHAAAAR!!

markgrayson
01-24-2009, 05:31 AM
The Shortest Straw! :rock:

Ryudo
01-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Stone Cold Crazy. :D

gooch
01-24-2009, 06:37 AM
I would be happy with anything by the original Misfits.

That would have been nice, but with all the drama behind that band, i'm sure they couldn't agree on a song and/or who would get paid. Samhain is good, but its still not The Misifts.

The final list is way better than I thought it would be. Almost every song from MOP and limited Nu Metallica crap.

Wish there was more than 1 Slayer song. Cool to see C.O.C. on there, but couldn't been a song from the 80s? Social D, Suicidal, very nice. Too bad they didn't get a Venom track.

I might actually have to buy this.

Ultimate Lurker
01-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Creeping Death
Disposable Heroes
Dyers Eve
Fade To Black
Fight Fire With Fire
Hit The Lights
Orion
Seek And Destroy
The Shortest Straw
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Whiplash

Wow, I am SOLD!

I also think it's very cool that they put the originals in for a bunch of songs they've covered. Turn the Page, Stone Cold Crazy, Am I Evil, Tuesdays Gone.

Garth
01-24-2009, 07:04 AM
That would have been nice, but with all the drama behind that band, i'm sure they couldn't agree on a song and/or who would get paid. Samhain is good, but its still not The Misifts.

The final list is way better than I thought it would be. Almost every song from MOP and limited Nu Metallica crap.

Wish there was more than 1 Slayer song. Cool to see C.O.C. on there, but couldn't been a song from the 80s? Social D, Suicidal, very nice. Too bad they didn't get a Venom track.

I might actually have to buy this.

Yeah, Samhain is ok. But like you said, no Misfits. However, the fact that they have Social D...shit...I am a Rock Band loyalist, this is really testing me.

Ultimate Lurker
01-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Yeah, Samhain is ok. But like you said, no Misfits. However, the fact that they have Social D...shit...I am a Rock Band loyalist, this is really testing me.

That's kinda dumb. Just get the game if you will like it. I have both. The GH drums are a lot more fun to play with on Rock Band than the Rock Band drums are.

THWIP!
01-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Wii Rage subsiding the set list is pretty fucking awesome.

Ryudo
01-24-2009, 07:22 AM
That's kinda dumb. Just get the game if you will like it. I have both. The GH drums are a lot more fun to play with on Rock Band than the Rock Band drums are.
It's not like the instruments aren't cross-compatible or anything... :lol:

Wii Rage subsiding the set list is pretty fucking awesome.
I have to wait too (PS2), but I am still stoked. :D

THWIP!
01-24-2009, 07:30 AM

I'm very excited.

Ultimate Lurker
01-24-2009, 08:15 AM
It's not like the instruments aren't cross-compatible or anything... :lol:

Wait, you only have a ps2?!

Garth
01-24-2009, 10:20 AM

Well it isn't an issue of liking a game. I like the gameplay and rhythm of Rock Band MUCH more then what has become of the GH franchise. But I am torn since I love Social D. It isn't like I have a vendetta against the GH games, I just don't like them as they aren't as fun to play as the first two, and now Rock Band.

Garth
01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Wait, you only have a ps2?!

I know, that throws me for a loop every time also.

Boris the Blade
01-24-2009, 10:24 AM
There are sooo many good songs on there.

But, like with Rock Band AC/DC, I'd rather it all be downloadable content. I don't want half of those Metallica songs, or a small share of those other songs.

Kman00001
01-24-2009, 10:26 AM
I guess I need to invest in one of these GH or RB set-ups.

TheKraken
01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm surprised and pleased by how much pre-suck Metallica is in the final tracklist, and the guest artists are cool. I'll be getting this.

Kman00001
01-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Bleh. I didn't notice "Frantic" on there until just now. Replace it with "My Apocalypse" and I'd go pre-order this shit today.

Rantz
01-24-2009, 06:21 PM
With the full set list I went from 'we'll see' to 'Must have' Fucking awesome setlist, both Metallica AND the guest bands. Fucking hell, my hands are going to hate me...

Also, is the RB2 guitar compatible with GH?

Cause I'm thinking this might be an XBox 360 purchase...

el_abuelo
01-25-2009, 02:17 AM
With the full set list I went from 'we'll see' to 'Must have' Fucking awesome setlist, both Metallica AND the guest bands. Fucking hell, my hands are going to hate me...

Also, is the RB2 guitar compatible with GH?

Cause I'm thinking this might be an XBox 360 purchase...

Yes, the RB2 guitar is compatible(assuming you own a XB360 or PS3).

Add to the list of people who have preordered the game :)

Ryudo
02-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, we have gameplay footage!

http://kotaku.com/5145095/slayers-gh-metallica-track-looks-sounds-rather-difficult

They're playing Slayer's GH:M track, and the drummer is on Expert+ which means double bass pedals in action!

It looks awesome(ly difficult).

TheKraken
02-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, we have gameplay footage!

http://kotaku.com/5145095/slayers-gh-metallica-track-looks-sounds-rather-difficult

They're playing Slayer's GH:M track, and the drummer is on Expert+ which means double bass pedals in action!

It looks awesome(ly difficult).

Dave Lombardo is the drummer of 80s thrash as far as I'm concerned... that's gonna be so fun...

markgrayson
02-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Dave Lombardo is the drummer of 80s thrash as far as I'm concerned... that's gonna be so fun...

adventure metal
02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I think that tripling the output of games next year is likely more due to more bands wanting to get on board than activision needing to put out 15 games of the same franchise. I think we'll see a lot more band specific titles. Cause Eddie Van Halen can get paid all over again without having to write any new songs or rebuild any bridges with Sammy or Dave, just pay them their due on the royalties. which is cool with me.

I'm hoping for GH: Maiden vs Priest Ultimate Metal Band Faceoff personally.

markgrayson
02-03-2009, 11:47 AM
I think that tripling the output of games next year is likely more due to more bands wanting to get on board than activision needing to put out 15 games of the same franchise. I think we'll see a lot more band specific titles. Cause Eddie Van Halen can get paid all over again without having to write any new songs or rebuild any bridges with Sammy or Dave, just pay them their due on the royalties. which is cool with me.

I'm hoping for GH: Maiden vs Priest Ultimate Metal Band Face Meltoff personally.

Fixed.;)

noble
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I actually don't like the band specific every 3 month releases.

Not because I don't like Metallica, but it seems when you have something like Metallica, you also need about 11-15 good metal tracks to go along with it.

So the really good songs are being saved for disc games every 3 months, and the DLC is suffering because of it.

TheKraken
02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I actually don't like the band specific every 3 month releases.

Not because I don't like Metallica, but it seems when you have something like Metallica, you also need about 11-15 good metal tracks to go along with it.

So the really good songs are being saved for disc games every 3 months, and the DLC is suffering because of it.

I'd be happier with the band specific games just being that band. They don't need all these other bands, and if you don't happen to like the headlining band, you miss out on stuff (I don't even know what was on the Aerosmith one, but I imagine I'd have liked every song on it not performed by Aerosmith more than the ones performed by Aerosmith). Otherwise, I think genre-specific games are a better idea. Kind of like Rocking the 80s, but more specific. The Metallica one just happens to feature enough of their older (good) material and enough other good bands to be a worthwhile purchase, but I imagine I'll be skipping most of the artist games.

Ryudo
02-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Updated info:

The PS2 and Wii versions of the game will be out on May 1, not the 5th.

If you reserve at Gamestop, you get a free second bass pedal. Splitter probably not included.

And finally, Lemmy Kilmister will be in the game:

Metallica announced today that Guitar Hero Metallica will feature Motörhead's Lemmy Kilmister as a playable character, presumably when one plays the band's hit "Ace of Spades," one of many guest tracks in the game.

It should be a very profitable year for the English bassist, as he'll also be appearing in the similarly umlauted Brütal Legend from Double Fine Productions, with "Ace of Spades" also licensed for Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned. Unconfirmed is a guest appearance from Lemmy's mole, which is rumored to appear in the next Puyo Puyo title from Sega.

Metallica's web site also points out that the band has convinced "another buddy to join in the fun," which we'll take to mean "turned into polygons and motion captured." Could it be King Diamond? Could it?!
http://kotaku.com/5152683/guitar-hero-metallica-comes-with-slice-of-lemmy

TheKraken
02-13-2009, 10:48 AM
If it's King Diamond and he doesn't rise out of a coffin before the song starts, it will be all for naught. :)

GelfXIII
02-13-2009, 10:51 AM

I want Rockband: Phish!

cPol
02-20-2009, 04:37 AM
GH: Metallica cover art released, but... Oh! That's unfortunate...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3443/guitarherometallicaik4.jpg

Ultimate Lurker
02-20-2009, 04:41 AM
GH: Metallica cover art released, but... Oh! That's unfortunate...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3443/guitarherometallicaik4.jpg

Already known. Tuesday's Gone.

cPol
02-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Already known. Tuesday's Gone.

Nothing about it in the GH: Metallica thread that I can see. Link plz?

Ultimate Lurker
02-20-2009, 04:50 AM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5666159&postcount=53

cPol
02-20-2009, 04:54 AM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5666159&postcount=53

Which doesn't at all mention that Lynyrd Skynyrd's name is misspelled on the cover. Or show the cover art.

Ultimate Lurker
02-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Which doesn't at all mention that Lynyrd Skynyrd's name is misspelled on the cover. Or show the cover art.

OH! I thought you were saying unfortunate that they were in the game. Didn't notice the misspell.

TheKraken
02-20-2009, 07:21 AM
It is unfortunate that they're in the game, tho', let's be clear on that. :)

Ryudo
02-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Preview vid with lots o' gameplay:
http://kotaku.com/5161268/throw-up-the-horns-for-four-minutes-of-guitar-hero-metallica-gameplay

THWIP!
02-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Preview vid with lots o' gameplay:
http://kotaku.com/5161268/throw-up-the-horns-for-four-minutes-of-guitar-hero-metallica-gameplay

I will watch this later.:)

Ultimate Lurker
02-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Holy goodness wow. The drums are going to make me cry.

Boris the Blade
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I passed on World Tour, but... I dunno.

I'm broke as fuck with other games to play, if I find this used for a good price, I'm takin' it home.

Ryudo
02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I really wanna play No Leaf Clover now. :)

cPol
02-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Fuck me gently with a chainsaw... there's is just no way I can keep up with that.

TheKraken
02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
That free drumming mode just made my entire week! That's going to be so fun!

Ryudo
03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
There is now a GH:M demo on XBox Live Gold.

Kotaku says it is around 1 GB.

I am now jealous.

Ultimate Lurker
03-20-2009, 08:40 AM
There is now a GH:M demo on XBox Live Gold.

Kotaku says it is around 1 GB.

I am now jealous.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! If I go preorder the game at GS, do they give me the pedal now or do I have to wait on the game?

Ryudo
03-20-2009, 08:49 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! If I go preorder the game at GS, do they give me the pedal now or do I have to wait on the game?

You wait on the game.

LeggoMyEggolas
03-20-2009, 03:10 PM
You wait on the game.

Can you confirm or deny that what's going around some forums the the pedal is NOT compatible with Rock Band drums?

markgrayson
03-20-2009, 03:34 PM
4 song demo!! :rock:

Really fun stuff! Good to play some old Metallica again.

THWIP!
03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I saw 3 of the 4 songs on youtube. I don't know if I'll be able to play Expert.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
03-20-2009, 04:24 PM
I am actually thinking of picking this up.

Mike McNeely
03-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Are the instruments from Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero compatible on the Wii?

markgrayson
03-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Can you confirm or deny that what's going around some forums the the pedal is NOT compatible with Rock Band drums?

The Guitar Hero pedal IS NOT compatible with the Rock Band drums.

Mike McNeely
03-20-2009, 06:47 PM
I found it. :( That sucks. Oh well.

http://kotaku.com/5086709/the-official-guitar-herorock-band-compatibility-chart

Ultimate Lurker
03-20-2009, 06:55 PM

The complete GH drums will work with Rock Band, but you can't unplug the drum pedal and plug it into your Rock Band drums to use. Not sure why you would want to anyway. The GH drums rock. I just beat World Tour on Hard drums the other day.

el_abuelo
03-20-2009, 10:50 PM
An interview with Lars Ulrich about GH: Metallica

http://www.blender.com/LarsUlrichRevealstheSecretsBehindGuitarHeroMetalli ca/Blender-Blog/blogs/1168/63718.aspx

TheKraken
03-21-2009, 10:47 AM
The complete GH drums will work with Rock Band, but you can't unplug the drum pedal and plug it into your Rock Band drums to use. Not sure why you would want to anyway. The GH drums rock. I just beat World Tour on Hard drums the other day.

There's a few songs I just cannot finish on Expert. Songs with double bass in them and only one pedal, mostly. :) (But also "Everlong" due to all the damn hi-hat.) Them expecting me to move my right foot at light speed is pretty ridiculous... but a problem soon to be solved!

Rantz
03-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Downloading the demo, hopefully it'll be finished by the time I get up in the am...

Ultimate Lurker
03-23-2009, 02:17 AM
5 starred seek and destroy expert guitar first try.

Ryudo
03-23-2009, 11:32 AM

That chart is all kinds of wrong.

THWIP!
03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Is the Wii release date still for May?

TheKraken
03-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Soooo... what do you think? I just finished "Master of Puppets" on Expert+ drums and I'm pretty much beat. :) Great fun, tho'. Pretty much the same stuff as GHWT. Couple of new costumes (a knight that looks particularly hilarious). The bar on the highway for the bass pedal is a little different, and I like it better. Haven't touched it on a guitar controller yet. The people who complained about the steep difficulty curve in GH3 are gonna have a heart attack when if they try Expert+ drums. Goin' along minding your own business and then you try "Ace of Spades" and flunk out at 8%. :lol: Looking forward to trying out the new modes of play. Who else picked it up?

el_abuelo
03-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Soooo... what do you think? I just finished "Master of Puppets" on Expert+ drums and I'm pretty much beat. :) Great fun, tho'. Pretty much the same stuff as GHWT. Couple of new costumes (a knight that looks particularly hilarious). The bar on the highway for the bass pedal is a little different, and I like it better. Haven't touched it on a guitar controller yet. The people who complained about the steep difficulty curve in GH3 are gonna have a heart attack when if they try Expert+ drums. Goin' along minding your own business and then you try "Ace of Spades" and flunk out at 8%. :lol: Looking forward to trying out the new modes of play. Who else picked it up?

Amazon shipped my preorder last friday so I'll be posting my thoughts on it this week.

TheKraken
03-30-2009, 07:15 PM
The last level is one of the coolest things. It might be the best aspect of the game.

I can't find the free drumming mode they talked about. It's not even mentioned in the instruction booklet. Maybe it got left out...

Lab-Rat
03-31-2009, 10:39 AM
You know...I'm not a huge Metallica fan. Personally the fact that it is a Metallica game is what turned me off of buying this before seeing or hearing about it.

however...having seen a lot of the commercials, interviews, gameplay footage, and all the other stuff having to do with this game....I think I want it.

THWIP!
03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
The commercial for the game that aired on Raw last night was fantastic.

Lab-Rat
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
The commercial for the game that aired on Raw last night was fantastic.

agreed. Before that I just wanted to rent it. That commercial amused me enough to make me want to buy it.

THWIP!
03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
agreed. Before that I just wanted to rent it. That commercial amused me enough to make me want to buy it.

For some reason my brother found it hysterical. I'll buy it eventually, don't have the cash for it right now.

TheKraken
03-31-2009, 10:54 AM
You know...I'm not a huge Metallica fan. Personally the fact that it is a Metallica game is what turned me off of buying this before seeing or hearing about it.

however...having seen a lot of the commercials, interviews, gameplay footage, and all the other stuff having to do with this game....I think I want it.

I'm not really into them, either. Their first 4 records were cool, and their new one is surprisingly decent, but there's a whooooooooole lotta suck, both musically and personally, between the two. Luckily (shockingly), the completely unlistenable portion of their career represents less than 1/4 of their playlist, and the guest artists are a pretty cool line-up.

I got the game almost entirely for Expert+ drum mode, and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. :)

Lab-Rat
03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
For some reason my brother found it hysterical. I'll buy it eventually, don't have the cash for it right now.

yeah I'm kind of in the same boat. No money right now...but maybe sometime down the road.

Ryan Elliott
03-31-2009, 11:13 AM
That commercial is hilarious and awesome.

Ultimate Lurker
03-31-2009, 11:13 AM
This game is freaking awesome. Kill Em All songs destroy me on expert+ drums. SO FAST. I LOVE all the extra stuff in this game, though.

TheKraken
03-31-2009, 11:18 AM
This game is freaking awesome. Kill Em All songs destroy me on expert+ drums. SO FAST. I LOVE all the extra stuff in this game, though.

The live footage of King Diamond playing with them in the Extras is so funny. King Diamond is always funny, but he's extra funny when he's removed from his own stage show and props.. :D

Ryudo
04-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Haven't played it yet but looking forward to it. PS2 owners got a lousy deal, you ask me. :lol:

Ryudo
04-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Well, apparently the May release of the PS2 version was a mistake, because I have my copy (and my extra kick pedal, thanks to my boss at Gamestop). I'm going to crack into it later today, after I work. I played the demo at work last night... Stone Cold Crazy, No Excuses, and Sad But True... awesome.

The graphics (although you don't pay much attention considering you have to look at the fretboard) are amazing.

THWIP!
04-17-2009, 05:44 AM
I finally got to play this last night, Expert is fucking hard.

Ryudo
04-21-2009, 08:51 AM
I like how they put the skull and crossbones next to the hard songs.

But really, you can't sightread through any of them and get 100%. Mustaine/Hammett guitar solos are punishing.

That having been said, this is one of the most fun music games I've had the fortune of playing recently. I look forward to finishing it in its entirety and unlocking all the extras.

TheKraken
04-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Since playing through on each instrument seems to unlock that member of Metallica and then the "classic" version of them, I'm quite curious who the classic bass player will be (no spoilers, if you please). Jason Newstead? Cliff? Rob in his classic Suicidal Tendencies look? We shall see. Got about 2/3 thru the bass career last night.

But 95% of my GH time remains dedicated to drums. Double bass has only made it more fun.

Ryudo
04-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Since playing through on each instrument seems to unlock that member of Metallica and then the "classic" version of them, I'm quite curious who the classic bass player will be (no spoilers, if you please). Jason Newstead? Cliff? Rob in his classic Suicidal Tendencies look? We shall see. Got about 2/3 thru the bass career last night.

But 95% of my GH time remains dedicated to drums. Double bass has only made it more fun.

I'm pretty sure that Metallica said on the record that neither Jason or Cliff would be involved in the game other than through the videos and stuff. They wanted to stick with "this" version of Metallica.