PDA

View Full Version : Shoe tosser is Arab-world hero.

RebootedCorpse
12-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Heh...

Journalist emerges as hero of resistance
Julian Borger
The Guardian, Tuesday 16 December 2008

An Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at George Bush and called him a dog emerged yesterday as an unlikely hero among angry Arabs across the Middle East, who embraced his chosen weapon as a symbol of resistance.

A US military patrol in Najaf was pelted with shoes by Shia protesters, as crowds gathered around Iraq brandishing footwear and demanding the release of Muntadhar al-Zaidi, the television reporter whose attack on Bush at a Baghdad press conference on Sunday made him the toast of the radical Arab press.

Columnists noted that the gesture is a sign of particular contempt and recalled how Iraqis had removed their shoes to beat the statue of Saddam Hussein when Baghdad fell in 2003. In Bush's case, the shoes have started flying even before he relinquishes his grip on power.

The US president's valedictory tour of the two main fronts in the "war on terror", Iraq and Afghanistan, was aimed at enhancing his legacy as he approaches his last month in office. But all the optimistic talk of progress on the battlefield was overshadowed by Zaidi's surprise attack.

Both shoes missed their target - one went high, the president ducked the other - and Bush did his best to laugh the whole incident off. "I saw his sole," he joked. But Bush is unlikely ever to escape the image of him cowering behind a lectern watched by an unruffled Iraqi prime minister, Nuri al-Maliki. The humiliating scene will doubtless be played and replayed whenever his Iraq record is assessed.

The 28-year-old journalist at the centre of the storm appears to have made his name. The world saw Zaidi's shoes fly and heard his cry: "That is a farewell kiss, you dog." Last night, the shoes were being held as evidence and Zaidi was being questioned, facing a possible two years in prison or a hefty fine for insulting a foreign head of state.

Zaidi's employer, al-Baghdadia, an Iraqi network with headquarters in Egypt, warned in a statement: "Any measures against Muntadhar will be considered the acts of a dictatorial regime." And a head of steam seemed to be building behind a movement to have him freed as an embodiment of Iraq's suffering.

Zaidi, an Iraqi Shia, has had the common Iraqi experience of being caught between the warring parties. He was kidnapped while walking to work just over a year ago by suspected al-Qaida members. In the weeks that followed he was detained by Iraqi forces and then American troops, as a terrorist suspect.

His brothers said it was done on the spur of the moment, but his colleagues at al-Baghdadia said he had been planning it for months. One unnamed journalist even told the New York Times website it was Zaidi's "dream to hit Bush with shoes". If so, the dream came half true. The shoes missed, but the throw struck deep.

Back in the news

This is not the first time Muntadhar al-Zaidi has made the news rather than simply reported it. Just over a year ago the young Iraqi Shia journalist was kidnapped as he walked to work and held for more than 48 hours. On his release he said his captors, who were suspected of being al-Qaida members, had questioned him about his work and beaten him. In January he was detained by American troops searching his building but released after a day with an apology. There was some evidence yesterday that Zaidi's dramatic gesture against George Bush had been premeditated. Colleagues at al-Baghdadia television network where he has worked since 2005 described him as a "fervent nationalist" who hated all things American. Some al-Baghdadia employees told a French press agency that Zaidi had planned the assault on Bush for months. The reporter's brothers said his act was one of principle, and not aimed at the Iraqi prime minister, Nuri al-Maliki, aware that the crime of insulting the Iraqi state carries with it a potentially heavy sentence.

"Muntadhar did not mean to insult Maliki or the Iraqi government," one of the brothers, Dhurgham al-Zaidi, told Reuters television. "Muntadhar has in his heart a message of every Iraqi which he wants to convey to the occupiers represented by the person of US president Bush and he did it to convey it."

MabusRex
12-15-2008, 04:44 PM
This is only going to get worse, isn't it...
Oh wait, that was 6 years ago. Silly me.

JHickman
12-15-2008, 04:51 PM
LOL. Throwing a shoe and missing makes you an Arab-world hero. Kid's never gonna make it to the bigs. :D

Ryan Elliott
12-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Doesn't matter that he missed. The message stays the same.

Fuck you, W.

RickLM
12-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I think tossing a shoe at Bush makes you a hero in much of the non-Arab world as well.

Gordon Chumway
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
I think tossing a shoe at Bush makes you a hero in much of the non-Arab world as well.

:lol:

He's my hero.

PimpSlapStick!
12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I wish it was a street brother from Queens N.Y. Bush would've got clocked by some steel toe timbalands

Wigner's Friend
12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
LOL. Throwing a shoe and missing makes you an Arab-world hero. Kid's never gonna make it to the bigs. :D

My one wish this holiday season is to have Orel Hershiser break down Muntadhar al-Zaidi's mechanics.

HOOKS
12-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I wish it was a street brother from Queens N.Y. Bush would've got clocked by some steel toe timbalands

Dude wouldn't have missed either.

But his whole block would be shut the fuck down.

William Joseph Dunn
12-15-2008, 05:33 PM
he would get a high-five from me.

I like what W said later "some people just want to get on TV. I don't know what his beef was". hmmm, maybe he's a little peeved you bomb the fuck out of his country?

PimpSlapStick!
12-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Hell no, years of tossing shoes on powerlines have honed our skillz with the lugz.

:cool:

Patch
12-15-2008, 05:35 PM
My one wish this holiday season is to have Orel Hershiser break down Muntadhar al-Zaidi's mechanics.

Benel Germosen
12-15-2008, 05:41 PM

Word.

Now returning you to your regularly schedule non-hood programming

PimpSlapStick!
12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Word.

Now returning you to your regularly schedule non-hood programming

Don't want to make Ofay's uncomfortable

Jason California
12-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Do shoes on powerlines still mean you can find a hookup on the block?

bradical
12-15-2008, 05:46 PM

nothing remains the same.

jamestolliver
12-15-2008, 05:47 PM

In Baltimore, they were used to mark different gang territories. I don't see them too much anymore.

PimpSlapStick!
12-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Not anymore, it usually denotes gang territory or someone passing away

Khrutch
12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
He threw his shoes at the U.S. President, that is not acceptable. If I were Secret Service the guy would have his neck under my foot.

:-?

RebootedCorpse
12-15-2008, 06:06 PM
He threw his shoes at the U.S. President, that is not acceptable. If I were Secret Service the guy would have his neck under my foot.

Yes, very rude reaction to the slaughter of more than 100,000 of his fellow citizens.

stevapalooza
12-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Arab people express anger the same way angry moms do. If the guy didn't get tackled he probably would've started beating Bush with an extension cord.

PimpSlapStick!
12-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Says the the big red truck guy

JHickman
12-15-2008, 07:06 PM

Exactly. We annex a couple million square miles and we're not even going to get a single closer out of the deal.

If the guy would've kicked his shoe at Bush, then you know he would've meant business.

Pia Guerra
12-16-2008, 02:18 AM
We're watching the video this evening and Ian says, "Well I guess that proves he's a lame DUCK!"

Wah wah wahhhhh.

And what educated journalist hasn't wanted to do that after being talked down to by a C average smirk for the last 8 years?

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2008, 03:14 AM
He's been beaten in custody. But he had to have known this was coming.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7785338.stm

Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody'

The brother of the Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at US President George W Bush has said that the reporter has been beaten in custody.

Muntadar al-Zaidi has suffered a broken hand, broken ribs and internal bleeding, as well as an eye injury, his older brother, Dargham, told the BBC.

Mr Zaidi threw his shoes at Mr Bush at a news conference, calling him "a dog".

The BBC tried to contact Iraq's top security official but he was not available for comment.

Meanwhile, offers to buy the shoes are being made around the Arab world, reports say.

Mass rallies in support of Mr Zaidi have also been held across Iraq, calling for his release.

Dargham al-Zaidi told the BBC's Caroline Wyatt in Baghdad he believed his brother had now been taken to a US military hospital in the Iraqi capital.

Hero figure

Mr Zaidi told our correspondent that despite offers from many lawyers his brother has not been given access to any since being arrested by forces under the command of Mowaffaq al-Rubaie, Iraq's national security adviser.

The Iraqi authorities have said the 28-year-old will be prosecuted under Iraqi law, although it is not yet clear what the charges might be.

Iraqi lawyers have speculated that he could face charges of insulting a foreign leader and the Iraqi Prime Minister, Nouri al Maliki, who was standing next to President Bush during the incident. The offence carries a maximum penalty of two years in jail.

Our correspondent says that the previously little-known journalist from the private Cairo-based al-Baghdadia TV has become a hero to many, not just in Iraq but across the Arab world, for what many saw as a fitting send-off for a deeply unpopular US president.

As he flung the shoes, Mr Zaidi shouted: "This is a goodbye kiss from the Iraqi people, dog."

Dargham al-Zaidi told the BBC that his brother deliberately bought Iraqi-made shoes, which were dark brown with laces. They were bought from a shop on al-Khyam street, a well-known shopping street in central Baghdad.

However, not everyone in Iraq has been supportive of the journalist's action.

In Baghdad, the head of the Iraqi Union of Journalists described Mr Zaidi's action as "strange and unprofessional", but urged Mr Maliki to show compassion.

"Even if he has made a mistake, the government and the judiciary are broad-minded and we hope they consider his release because he has a family and he is still young," Mouyyad al-Lami told the Associated Press news agency.

"We hope this case ends before going to court."

Abducted by insurgents

The shoes themselves are said to have attracted bids from around the Arab world.

According to unconfirmed newspaper reports, the former coach of the Iraqi national football team, Adnan Hamad, has offered $100,000 (£65,000) for the shoes, while a Saudi citizen has apparently offered $10m (£6.5m).

The daughter of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, Aicha, said her charity would honour the reporter with a medal of courage, saying his action was a "victory for human rights".

The charity called on the media to support Mr Zaidi and put pressure on the Iraqi government to free him.

Mr Zaidi, who lives in Baghdad, has worked for al-Baghdadia for three years.

Muzhir al-Khafaji, programming director for the channel, described Mr Zaidi as a "proud Arab and an open-minded man".

He said that Mr Zaidi was a graduate of communications from Baghdad University.

"He has no ties with the former regime. His family was arrested under Saddam's regime," he said.

Mr Zaidi has previously been abducted by insurgents and held twice for questioning by US forces in Iraq.

In November 2007 he was kidnapped by a gang on his way to work in central Baghdad and released three days later without a ransom.

He said at the time that the kidnappers had beaten him until he lost consciousness, and used his necktie to blindfold him.

Mr Zaidi never learned the identity of his kidnappers, who questioned him about his work before letting him go.

Figures that the shoes would be put up for auction for rich Saudi's to buy. They've been buying the souls of the Bush family for years, why not the shoes as well?

I could have made a souls/soles pun but thought better of it.

Nick Spencer
12-16-2008, 03:25 AM
He's been beaten in custody. But he had to have known this was coming.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7785338.stm

Three cheers for that liberal democratic society we installed!

Alex(sadly)Maleev
12-16-2008, 03:29 AM

Or under the wheels of your Hummer?

Pia Guerra
12-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Or under the wheels of your Hummer?

Ohhh snap!

schizorabbit
12-16-2008, 04:16 AM
Bush must've kicked ass at dodgeball as a kid.

Ultimate Lurker
12-16-2008, 05:01 AM

One of the foreign news vids you can hear the guy yelling in pain after he's tackled, looks like he was getting kicked or stepped on some.

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-16-2008, 05:05 AM

I know. It could have been one of those exploding shoes. Somebody really could have gotten hurt.

Gunter
12-16-2008, 05:13 AM
I'm reminded of the Eddie Murphy routine where he talks about his mom throwing shoes at them whey they were kids.

Brother Power the Gong
12-16-2008, 05:57 AM

It's so sexy when InterWebz trolls talk tough.

Colby
12-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Three cheers for that liberal democratic society we installed!

It reminds me that for many Iraqis- the ones outside of Baghdad, where U.S. forces AREN'T- it's a "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" situation. Same fear. Same chaos. Same poverty. Just instead of Saddam, it's some penny-ante local militia leader.

CougarTrace
12-16-2008, 06:01 AM
It's so sexy when InterWebz trolls talk tough.

what did he say that makes him a troll?

because he didn't say something anti-Bush like you wanted him too?

CougarTrace
12-16-2008, 06:03 AM
It reminds me that for many Iraqis- the ones outside of Baghdad, where U.S. forces AREN'T- it's a "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" situation. Same fear. Same chaos. Same poverty. Just instead of Saddam, it's some penny-ante local militia leader.

well, Obama can't get to work on that starting in about 1 month.

Brother Power the Gong
12-16-2008, 06:03 AM

George Bush said: So what?

Just saying.

RegHorsten
12-16-2008, 06:06 AM

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16245.html

Fake Pat
12-16-2008, 06:08 AM

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5535380&postcount=143

CougarTrace
12-16-2008, 06:13 AM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5535380&postcount=143

not sure what that really has to do with the point of this thread, but since you so badly wanted an answer I gave you one.

Colby
12-16-2008, 06:16 AM

For what it's worth, when you constantly whine about "balance" and partisanship AND constantly bring every conversation back to Obama, you look like quite the hypocrite.

However, you're right, Obama CAN'T do anything about it in a month- unless we're willing to send hundreds of thousand more troops over there, we're not going to be able to tame the chaos in the outlying provinces, and even if we DO send in that many troops, we're not going to be able to make internal reforms to Iraq's prison system. That's the problem- the initial invasion of Iraq has left us with nothing but bad choices from here on out.

Colby
12-16-2008, 06:19 AM

Krutch is kinda trollish 'cause he comes into a thread, says something that does nothing but disagree with the OP (no matter what the OP is- he argued with me the other day that regulation IS necessary, so it's not about ideology) and never backs up his points. He doesn't even whine about it being unfair that he HAS to back up his points, he just never responds. So, while I'd hate to label him, I understand why people might say that.