PDA

View Full Version : Catching Up

Doug
12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Over the past week, I've been trying to catch up on a few titles I've fallen behind on.

I've recently read Justice Society Annual, Justice Society 18-21, and the One World Under Gog specials (Superman, Magog, Kingdom). They were really good and definately read better in one go then reading them month to month. Although the Gog story arc has been dragging (it started for me with issue # 10 and Earth-22 Superman coming to our Earth) it is building steam towards the final issue of the arc.

I also read Hellblazer 247-249. This is the end of Diggle's run on Hellblazer, and I ended up really enjoying his run. Some individual issues or arcs were weaker then others, but they all built to a pretty good finale. Who doesn't love a good Santa snorting?

Next I have a few months worth of the Boys to read, Ennis'es final arc on Punisher MAX, and the past three months worth of Avengers titles.

Anyone else do this, and if so what is the last book you caught up on?

PeterSparker
12-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I actually just read through the last handful of JSA (Magog) stories myself, including the Annual, and yeah its good stuff but I'm sure much better in one sitting than the way it did kind of drag on.

And I finished the final Ennis MAX Punisher trade a few weeks back. Garth went out in style, another classic arc.

Howlett
12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Over the past week, I've been trying to catch up on a few titles I've fallen behind on.

I've recently read Justice Society Annual, Justice Society 18-21, and the One World Under Gog specials (Superman, Magog, Kingdom). They were really good and definately read better in one go then reading them month to month. Although the Gog story arc has been dragging (it started for me with issue # 10 and Earth-22 Superman coming to our Earth) it is building steam towards the final issue of the arc.

I also read Hellblazer 247-249. This is the end of Diggle's run on Hellblazer, and I ended up really enjoying his run. Some individual issues or arcs were weaker then others, but they all built to a pretty good finale. Who doesn't love a good Santa snorting?

Next I have a few months worth of the Boys to read, Ennis'es final arc on Punisher MAX, and the past three months worth of Avengers titles.

Anyone else do this, and if so what is the last book you caught up on?
Don't really do it with recent runs myself, but I'm considering letting some titles build up and reading them arc by arc instead of by issue.

Earlier in the year I was catching up on just about every 616 Marvel book since the last issue of Civil War though. That was a lot of catching up. Think the last title I cared about that I caught up on was the cosmic Marvel stuff (Annihilation Conquest and Nova, which I read together for the crossover issues) or Daredevil since Bru's second arc.

Now I tend to catch up on the classic runs. Reading Peter David's Hulk run at the moment.

leviathan
12-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I only do this. Ditto on JSA, just caught up to that.

Same with Captain America and all the Superman titles. Next I'm planning on reading through the new Spider-Man issues (got a nice bunch of 6-8 of those), Guardians of the Galaxy and Trinity.

Jim T.
12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I have all the singles from 100 Bullets from #76 on that I've let pile up b/c I find it doesn't read as well in singles...I'm looking forward to getting bed-ridden or something so I can read them all in one go.

Cactusakic
12-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Yup.
I have been doing something similar for the last 6 months or so.
I don't have nearly the amount of free time I need to read the amount of comics I buy, so for the last year my backlog has been steadily getting bigger and bigger.

I currently have a stack of over 700 issues to read.

I file them alphabetically when I get back from the comic store each month, so I am up-to-date with all titles that begin with A-R.
I have multiple issues of everything past that though.

For example, I have She-Hulk #25-35, Superman/Batman #43-53, Teen Titans #53-65, Uncanny X-Men #495-504, etc etc etc.

The best run I have caught up on so far has been Scalped #10-22.
Great stuff from one of my favorite current writers.

Ultimate Lurker
12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Curious why you guys don't wait on trades instead. I only get a couple issues behind when I am really busy for a few weeks.

Doug
12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Curious why you guys don't wait on trades instead. I only get a couple issues behind when I am really busy for a few weeks.

I have two kids, and don't have the amount of time to read that I used to.

Plus I used to work at my LCS and I'd feel guilty not buying my books from there anymore (and they don't give discounts on trades, even to ex-employees).