PDA

View Full Version : Wizard World Chicago Question

Marc Lombardi
12-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Yes, I know it's 8 months away, but I'm thinking about going for the VERY FIRST TIME next summer and need to know from Chicagoans and past attendees what the decent hotels in the area would be. I recall some folks having bedbug problems last year, right? Yeah...probably gonna skip that place. Any thoughts? Advice?

Keep in mind that I'll probably turn it into an extended trip and stay from Wednesday through Tuesday so me and the missus can also explore the city a bit.

NickT
12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
The bugs were two years ago IIRC, people stayed there last year without complaints that I know of.

Jim.
12-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Any of the hotels connected to the convention center especially the Hyatt. Although the ALofts just opened and even from the outside those look fucking sweet. Check www.rosemont.com for more info about hotels and the convention center.

Marc Lombardi
12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Any of the hotels connected to the convention center especially the Hyatt. Although the ALofts just opened and even from the outside those look fucking sweet. Check www.rosemont.com (http://www.rosemont.com) for more info about hotels and the convention center.

Just looking online I saw the Hyatt (that ones connected by the walkway, right), the aLofts, the Embassy Suites and the...minds drawing a blank here. I want to say Courtyard or something like that?

Blandy vs Terrorism
12-15-2008, 10:20 AM
TIP and I did the Embassy Suites this year. Highly recommended over the Hyatt.

Marc Lombardi
12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I would take TIP and Blandy advice in a second. Thanks, bro-ham!

Adrian B AWESOME
12-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Just show up, find Blandy or TIP and sleep at the foot of their bed.

Marc Lombardi
12-15-2008, 10:38 AM
:no:
My missus may try to plook Blandy

Blandy vs Terrorism
12-17-2008, 07:11 AM
:no:
My missus may try to plook Blandy

:heybaby:

And I'd be fine with that, except for the fact that she's your missus.

jason hissong
12-17-2008, 07:12 AM
I wish Wizard would move this show to Chicago, and not fucking Rosemont.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
12-17-2008, 07:20 AM
I wish Wizard would move this show to Chicago, and not fucking Rosemont.

I agree, or even Schaumburg.

We usually stay at the Hyatt, last year we stayed in the city and took the el in, the train ride's a tad long, but sans that, I preferred staying in the city, because there's so much more to do. My problem with the convention being in Rosemont, is once the con is over for the day, the town becomes a ghost town, and it's a hassle to get anywhere.

TIP
12-17-2008, 07:24 AM

:lol:

Ziolko
12-17-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm tempted to drive up for WWC just for a day, especially if gas prices stay low.

Marc Lombardi
12-17-2008, 07:38 AM
My problem with the convention being in Rosemont, is once the con is over for the day, the town becomes a ghost town, and it's a hassle to get anywhere.
What about the El?

jason hissong
12-17-2008, 07:39 AM
What about the El?

What about the El?

Marc Lombardi
12-17-2008, 07:40 AM
What about the El?
Isn't there a stop in Rosemont that takes you right into the city? I'm just wondering if that isn't as convenient as is sounds.

jason hissong
12-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Isn't there a stop in Rosemont that takes you right into the city? I'm just wondering if that isn't as convenient as is sounds.

There is. But Rosemont is one stop from the end of the line. To get to the Loop or River North or any other part of the city is going to take at least 1/2 an hour, if not longer.

Marc Lombardi
12-17-2008, 07:45 AM
There is. But Rosemont is one stop from the end of the line. To get to the Loop or River North or any other part of the city is going to take at least 1/2 an hour, if not longer.
Hell, that's pretty convenient for me. I'd also cab it if needed. Basically anything other than deal with a ghost town at night.

Blandy vs Terrorism
12-17-2008, 08:58 AM

Half an hour? What a damn shame. Took me two hours on the bus in Hawaii just to get to a comic book shop (or anywhere downtown, really). Then two hours back.

Blandy vs Terrorism
12-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Actually, a half hour trip here is like "hey, I'm driving to Minneapolis!"

If it isn't rush hour.

THWIP!
12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
"I can't tell you what hotel I'm stayin at...but there are two trees involved.'

They said...let's call this hotel..."somethin tree". So they had a meeting...it was...it was quite short.

"How about TREE"

"No"

"Double Tree?"

"Hell ya! Meeting Adjourned!"

"I had my heart set on Quadruple Tree...well we were almost there!"

Lyfeforce
12-17-2008, 09:05 AM
the small amount of sleeping I did do in beds last year, it was a nice rest and the view from the hyatt was nice.

the bar and restaurant was a little too pricey for my tastes, though.

THWIP!
12-17-2008, 09:08 AM
the small amount of sleeping I did do in beds last year, it was a nice rest and the view from the hyatt was nice.

What are the prices for the bar? I haven't been there since 05.

KingMob
12-17-2008, 09:33 AM
The bugs were two years ago IIRC, people stayed there last year without complaints that I know of.

Those itch mites really fucked me up, thanks for reminding me!

12-18-2008, 03:28 PM
What are the prices for the bar? I haven't been there since 05.

I paid something like 16 something bucks for 2 rum and cokes.

c. page
12-18-2008, 04:58 PM

having seen TIP and blandy's room at the embassy suites, i would also recommend that place. it's a short walk to the hyatt if you want to see people, and the rooms are pretty swank. the bar inside looked intriguing as well.

it's a decent place, but the bar and restaurant are definitely pricey.

Taxman
12-18-2008, 05:13 PM
What are the prices for the bar? I haven't been there since 05.There is nothing reasonably priced available anywhere unless one walks to 7-11 or McDonalds.

CougarTrace
12-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Yes, all the bars in the nearby hotels were around 15-20 dollars for two mixed drinks

Artie Pink
12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Staying at the Hyatt is a guaranteed hassle. Chill out at the DoubleTree or Embassy Suites. We stayed at DoubleTree and it was completely easy.

I've had the Hyatt tell me in 2006 "a reservation doesn't guarantee you a room, it just means you've expressed interest. You confirmation number just confirms your interest."

In 2005, they gave me a room with no bed, then seemed put out when I went back to the counter and mentioned this.

These are just two of the myriad of problems the Hyatt has caused me. DoubleTree for me from now on.

CougarTrace
12-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Staying at the Hyatt is a guaranteed hassle. Chill out at the DoubleTree or Embassy Suites. We stayed at DoubleTree and it was completely easy.

I've had the Hyatt tell me in 2006 "a reservation doesn't guarantee you a room, it just means you've expressed interest. You confirmation number just confirms your interest."

In 2005, they gave me a room with no bed, then seemed put out when I went back to the counter and mentioned this.

These are just two of the myriad of problems the Hyatt has caused me. DoubleTree for me from now on.

I stayed at the DoubleTree and can second the recommendation

12-18-2008, 05:54 PM
I'll probably be staying in he city and taking the el in this year. I'll be staying at the Essex Inn, right across form Grant Park, nice, and affordable as well.

Taxman
12-18-2008, 05:55 PM

These are just two of the myriad of problems the Hyatt has caused me. DoubleTree for me from now on.They have four elevators which go to all floors. In the seven room nights which I have spent there, they have never had all four of these things operating at the same time. At one point, two of these bad boys were out.