PDA

View Full Version : Six one-minute clips from THE SPIRIT

JoeE
12-15-2008, 08:24 AM
http://www.blackfilm.com/20081211/features/thespiritspecial.shtml

Kurt Russell Crowe
12-15-2008, 08:31 AM
One of the first reviews came out and claimed it to be worse than Battlefield Earth (aintitcool I believe)

The Dean
12-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm waiting for the fan boy backlash to start, "That was Miller's story for Elektra!" and the shame that will later come when they realize that story was Eisner's in the first place.

NickT
12-15-2008, 09:27 AM
One of the first reviews came out and claimed it to be worse than Battlefield Earth (aintitcool I believe)
Oh, well if an anonamous AICN reviewer says it... ;)

Ryan Elliott
12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Oh, well if an anonamous AICN reviewer says it... ;)

I'd like to punch that guy in the throat, whoever it was.

NOTHING is worse than Battlefield Earth.

Not even "Manos:" The Hands of Fate.

NickT
12-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm digging the fights, their over the topness is fun.

Ryan Elliott
12-15-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm digging the fights, their over the topness is fun.

Every time I see a trailer for it, I keep picturing DKR Batman.

And it's a beautiful thing.

Generic Poster
12-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I hope someone adapts "The Dark Knight Returns" but makes it campier than the Adam West show. That's the equivalent of what Miller is doing here.

bartleby
12-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I hope someone adapts "The Dark Knight Returns" but makes it campier than the Adam West show. That's the equivalent of what Miller is doing here.

And no whores whatsoever.

Ryan Elliott
12-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Zack Snyder has said on more than one occasion about wanting to adapt DKR.

If Watchmen is a success, and after Nolan's done with his trilogy, it may just happen.

But goddammit, with how faithful Snyder is to the source material, jesus it'll be amazing.

I'll cry. I really will.

Generic Poster
12-15-2008, 10:06 AM
And no whores whatsoever.

"Are these Mutant gangmembers bothering you citizens? I'll make short work of them!" POW! ZAP! WHAM!

NickT
12-15-2008, 10:10 AM
YES! :eek:

Joe Henderson
12-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow.

Dear lord this thing is going to bomb.

Fourthman
12-15-2008, 10:15 AM
It's pretty apparent how awful this film is going to be, but I think an unintended consequence will be that it will cause history to be less kind to the Sin City film (and by association, the books as well). Miller's puerile, base leanings and his arcane, esoteric in-jokes will be lost on a greater audience than those of us debating ASBARTBW and DKSB. Granted, this is said by someone who's not a fan of Miller post 2004 or so, but I guess time will tell.

bartleby
12-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow.

As someone who used to work in a movie theatre, it pisses me off that Lionsgate seems to be trying to market this as a Christmas movie. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with giving refunds to those people who saw the commercials with all the snow and the Christmas music and assumed that THE SPIRIT had something to do with the spirit of Christmas.

Ryan Elliott
12-15-2008, 10:17 AM
As someone who used to work in a movie theatre, it pisses me off that Lionsgate seems to be trying to market this as a Christmas movie. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with giving refunds to those people who saw the commercials with all the snow and the Christmas music and assumed that THE SPIRIT had something to do with the spirit of Christmas.

Those people should have the word "idiot" stamped on their foreheads when they DO ask for a refund.

NickT
12-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Wow.

I'm not sure if it will or not. Reguardless of how the movie actually is Miller has a buzz thanks to 300 and Sin City, but this also looks lighter than SC which could benefit it. Only cost $50m, I can imagine it doing alright. Not well, just alright :)

bartleby
12-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Those people should have the word "idiot" stamped on their foreheads when they DO ask for a refund.

I've made this point before, but ignorance and idiocy are not the same thing. If the fucking television commercials make it look like a Christmas movie, it stands to reason that some people are going to think it's a Christmas movie. That doesn't make them idiots.

Generic Poster
12-15-2008, 10:22 AM

"Give Cratchett a raise, Scrooge, or I'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead."

McJerk
12-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Battlefield Earth was al right.

Let's just all say it..Frank Miller sucks and has for close to 2 decades.

Ronin ruled.

Ryan Elliott
12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I've made this point before, but ignorance and idiocy are not the same thing. If the fucking television commercials make it look like a Christmas movie, it stands to reason that some people are going to think it's a Christmas movie. That doesn't make them idiots.

All the guns and naked chicks and helicopters couldn't really clue them off?

"From the creator of Sin City and 300" couldn't tip them off either?

I mean...Christmas music not withstanding, it looks absolutely nothing at all like a Christmas movie. Not even a movie ABOUT Christmas.

It just so happens that the release date is ON Christmas. Hence all the Christmas stuff.

Generic Poster
12-15-2008, 10:28 AM
It's pretty apparent how awful this film is going to be, but I think an unintended consequence will be that it will cause history to be less kind to the Sin City film (and by association, the books as well). Miller's puerile, base leanings and his arcane, esoteric in-jokes will be lost on a greater audience than those of us debating ASBARTBW and DKSB. Granted, this is said by someone who's not a fan of Miller post 2004 or so, but I guess time will tell.

That last nine-issue Sin City arc was the last thing of his I remember enjoying (and I guess I didn't enjoy it that much, since I don't even remember the name of it).

JoeE
12-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Has Sin City 2 started filming yet? I wouldn't be surprised if Weinstein cancels it if this film bombs and poisons the well.

Howlett
12-15-2008, 10:32 AM
God fucking yes! That would make me so damn happy, I'd see it 20 times!

And make Robin male, and cast the kid from Ace Ventura Jr.

All the guns and naked chicks and helicopters couldn't really clue them off?

I dunno. Die Hard and Lethal Weapon had a fair bit of those too.

Well... not so much the naked chicks part. Those were Christmas movies.

Yes god dammit, they were! And humbug to anyone who says different! :mad:

Fourthman
12-15-2008, 10:33 AM
That last nine-issue Sin City arc was the last thing of his I remember enjoying (and I guess I didn't enjoy it that much, since I don't even remember the name of it).

Agreed. The one with Dwight and it went all color and Elektra was in a dream sequence? Yeah, that was the last time he was measured in his madness.

Generic Poster
12-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Agreed. The one with Dwight and it went all color and Elektra was in a dream sequence? Yeah, that was the last time he was measured in his madness.

No, I think it was before that. I had an unnamed protagonist who actually left Basin City with the girl at the end of it. "Hell and Back," maybe?

EDIT: The internets confirm it was indeed Hell and Back.

Fourthman
12-15-2008, 10:41 AM
No, I think it was before that. I had an unnamed protagonist who actually left Basin City with the girl at the end of it. "Hell and Back," maybe?

EDIT: The internets confirm it was indeed Hell and Back.

Ok, I'm wrong about Dwight, but I'm pretty sure the rest of it was in there. The "hell" was the color sequence I mentioned.

Generic Poster
12-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Ok, I'm wrong about Dwight, but I'm pretty sure the rest of it was in there. The "hell" was the color sequence I mentioned.

Ah. Well, like I said, it obviously didn't stick with me that well. The only scene I really remember was the dude meditating in jail that he was in this beautiful garden, and then the next panel showed he was actually locked in a drunk tank with all the other dudes puking all over the place.

Andrew j
12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Throw in some spread lips and full penetration and I'd go see it.