PDA

View Full Version : Joe Satriani sues Coldplay for plagiarism

JoeE
12-08-2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1600890/20081208/coldplay.jhtml

Guitarist Joe Satriani, who sued Coldplay for plagiarism in a Los Angeles court last week over allegations that their song "Viva la Vida" borrowed the melody from his song "If I Could Fly," said in a new interview that he was shocked the first time he heard Coldplay's tune. Meanwhile, in an interview taped before the suit was filed, Coldplay singer Chris Martin insisted the band did nothing wrong.

"I felt like a dagger went right through my heart. It hurt so much," Satriani reportedly told the Music Radar Web site. "The second I heard it, I knew it was [my own] 'If I Could Fly.' " But Satriani said he wasn't the only one who noticed the similarity, claiming that "almost immediately" after Coldplay's album came out last summer, his e-mail was flooded with people asking, " 'Have you heard this song by Coldplay? They ripped you off, man.' I mean, I couldn't tell you how many e-mails I received."

Satriani said, "Everybody noticed the similarities between the songs. It's pretty obvious. It's as simple as that — when you listen to a song and you say, 'Wow, that's a real rip-off.' "

One of the reasons Satriani told the site he was so upset was because he had spent more than a decade working on "If I Could Fly" before he demoed it in 2003 and recorded it as a tribute to his wife, Rubina.

"That's what really hurts about this whole thing," he said. "That I spent so long writing the song, thinking about it, loving it, nursing it, and then finally recording it and standing on stages the world over playing it — and then somebody comes along and plays the exact same song and calls it their own." Satriani called the intense media response to the action "the weirdest thing I've ever been involved in" and said he did everything he could to avoid filing suit, but claims that "Coldplay didn't want to talk about it. They just wanted the whole thing to go away. Maybe they figured this little guitar player guy will leave them alone after a while, I don't know ... But we're talking about a piece of art that I created, and that's something I feel is important. I think everybody should feel that way."

The fact is, Coldplay have talked about it ... kind of. During a recent "Nissan Live Set" on Yahoo.com — filmed before the suit was filed — singer Chris Martin refers to a "Moe Batriani" in defending the band's honor against charges that they borrowed someone else's melody. (The line occurs about 3:30 into the Q&A.)

"When we finished the song 'Viva la Vida,' our only hit single, we knew that was good," Martin joked, referring to an earlier question about the band's confidence in the songs on the Vida album. "And I will maintain that till my dying day, that it's not that bad. Although we are being sued by about 12 people who say that we stole it, though I promise we didn't. Including ... I probably shouldn't say [laughs]. I can't tell you, I can't tell you, but it rhymes with Moe Batriani."

A Coldplay spokesperson has not responded to MTV News' requests for comment on the lawsuit.

A comparison video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I&eurl=

Listen to them each separately:

If I Could Fly - Joe Satriani (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcjXo8ZuqE&feature=related)

Viva La Vida - Coldplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE)

glk
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Coldplay song is all kinds of awesome. Don't know the Satriani song. Shit happens unintentionally. Everyone says Pearl Jam ripped of Zeppelin.

costello
12-08-2008, 08:05 PM
hey, it's the silver surfer fan.

Patch
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Saying you're being sued by the guy isn't the same as ripping him off.

I don't think I've ever heard a Joe Satriani song.
Doesn't seem like he'd be source material for Coldplay.

Briomega
12-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Definitely sounds quite similar.

Ben
12-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Sounds like they ripped him off.

Brian Defferding
12-08-2008, 08:13 PM
They do sound very, very similar.

Ben

Doesn't seem like he'd be source material for Coldplay.Satriani is pretty famous especially among musicians.

WillieLee
Best part is, there's another band suing Coldplay over the same song. Coldplay lifted the other part of the song from some small time act that performed for an industry showcase that they were at.

Maybe this is part of the fair trade that Martin keeps talking about.

JoeE
12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
The real question is when did Grant Morrison start moonlighting as a guitarist?

ImYrWoodbury
12-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Best part is, there's another band suing Coldplay over the same song. Coldplay lifted the other part of the song from some small time act that performed for an industry showcase that they were at.

The band is "Creaky Boards" and I don't think they're suing them, too. I just think they said, "Hey, that sounds like a song we did a year ago."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUhFLiw6h6s

Patch
12-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Satriani is pretty famous especially among musicians.

I've been googling some of his stuff and listening.

There are about a dozen jazz guitarists and a dozen blues guitarists I'd rather listen to.
But its not unbearable.

Jason California
12-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Those sound very similar to me.

Coldplay song is all kinds of awesome. Don't know the Satriani song. Shit happens unintentionally. Everyone says Pearl Jam ripped of Zeppelin.

What Pearl Jam song does "everybody" say they ripped off of Zeppelin? And is you not knowing the Satriani song a real reason for this not being valid?

Patch
12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
A portion of the song sounds similar.
In an age of original artists not getting paid for sampling, this is ridiculous.

But maybe the attention will win Satriani some new fans.

Brian Defferding
12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Pearl Jam admitted outright they ripped off of Led Zeppelin. Coldplay is playing all kinds of denial though.

WillieLee
12-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Those sound very similar to me.

What Pearl Jam song does "everybody" say they ripped off of Zeppelin? And is you not knowing the Satriani song a real reason for this not being valid?

Don't you remember Pearl Jam's "Good Times, Not So Good Times"?

Lyfeforce
12-08-2008, 08:35 PM
sounds very similar. hearing the two together sounds good, too.

Boris the Blade
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
I've been googling some of his stuff and listening.

There are about a dozen jazz guitarists and a dozen blues guitarists I'd rather listen to.
But its not unbearable.
Takes longer than 20 minutes to fully get, methinks.

Yeah, they sound really similar.

nick maynard
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
very similar, and it might have been a subconscious influence, but i don't think chris martin was trying to rip the satch off.

and joe's definitely NOT winning this fight in court. no way. a zillion songs have that chord progression, and the melody isn't close enough.

but yeah, it definitely sounds similar.

THWIP!
12-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Sounds like they ripped off both songs.

Patch
12-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Takes longer than 20 minutes to fully get, methinks.

You think I've made a snap judgement.

Been listening to classical, jazz, rock for 35 years-- guitarists like Joe Pass, Jim Hall, Django Reinhardt, Tal Farlow, Julian Bream, Christopher Parkening, Jim Raney...

I get Satriani's gist. It might seem amazing if guitar music began and ended with Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen.

I don't hear a lot of 'playing with time' or a lot of natural musicality... the things that make music more than an exercise.

Not for me, Boris.

Boris the Blade
12-08-2008, 09:32 PM

Been listening to classical, jazz, rock for 35 years-- guitarists like Joe Pass, Jim Hall, Django Reinhardt, Tal Farlow, Julian Bream, Christopher Parkening, Jim Raney...

I get Satriani's gist. It might seem amazing if guitar music began and ended with Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen.

I don't hear a lot of 'playing with time' or a lot of natural musicality... the things that make music more than an exercise.

Not for me, Boris.
Different strokes, I s'pose.

Raphael J
12-08-2008, 09:32 PM

Not for me, Boris.

I kind of want to take you behind the middle school and get you pregnant now.

Sorry Boris.

Michael Blacklist
12-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Pearl Jam admitted outright they ripped off of Led Zeppelin. Coldplay is playing all kinds of denial though.

Exactly. Pearl Jam have said that Going To California was a direct influence on Given To Fly.

Petey Parker
12-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Except its already been shown that Chris Martin was never at that show because he wasn't even in the US at the time. Its just some unknown band that found they had a similar sounding song and decided to milk it for some press (and it certainly did get them some press)

Plus the demo for Viva La Vida was made before the concert in question.

As for this song there is minor similarity but to call it a complete rip off is a bit of stretch.

nick maynard
12-08-2008, 09:38 PM
what? no love for eliot fisk? or how about the best of the best, segovia?

Ryan Elliott
12-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I hear a similarity in one part. When listening to them together, they sound way off except in one part.

Satriani's song is kind of annoying.

TIP
12-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Don't you remember Pearl Jam's "Good Times, Not So Good Times"?

:lol:

costello
12-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Satriani is pretty famous especially among musicians.

So is Gary Hoey, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen.

G3. Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth.

Jim T.
12-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Stern played them over each other yesterday - they sounded even more similar that way.

costello
12-09-2008, 06:51 AM
The band is "Creaky Boards" and I don't think they're suing them, too. I just think they said, "Hey, that sounds like a song we did a year ago."

And then Creaky Boards said they ripped the song off of the Legend of Zelda.

costello
12-09-2008, 06:56 AM

Not for me, Boris.

I think Boris meant it takes 20 minutes to fully realize how icky the music...
oh wait. My bad. :)

It IS slightly better than Pat Metheny. Or Eric Johnson, but only when Eric Johnson sings.

Patch
12-09-2008, 06:56 AM
And then Creaky Boards said they ripped the song off of the Legend of Zelda.

You do know that the Zelda Theme is lifted from the Pee Wee's Playhouse Theme-- which, in turn, is a take on Brahm's Variations on a Theme by Haydn...

costello
12-09-2008, 06:57 AM
You do know that the Zelda Theme is lifted from the Pee Wee's Playhouse Theme-- which, in turn, is a take on Brahm's Variations on a Theme by Haydn...

No, but that's pretty damn funny if it's true. I'm only going by what the Creaky Boards guy said. I haven't played The Legend of Zelda :(.

xyzzy
12-09-2008, 06:57 AM
They probably lifted it. Maybe not even deliberately. Still, i think it's going to be a tough case to make.

Patch
12-09-2008, 07:00 AM
No, but that's pretty damn funny if it's true. I'm only going by what the Creaky Boards guy said. I haven't played The Legend of Zelda :(.

The Haydn theme is ripped off of a Romanian folksong, which borrows from the chants of Benedictine monks, which in turn are derived from the calls and responses of Primitive Man.

Which is why the cave men from the Geico commercials are also suing Coldplay.

Jim T.
12-09-2008, 07:01 AM
The Haydn theme is ripped off of a Romanian folksong, which borrows from the chants of Benedictine monks, which in turn are derived from the calls and responses of Primitive Man.

:)

Andreas
12-09-2008, 07:25 AM
"J'en ai marre" by Alizée (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=240S04eCCC0) (written by Laurent Boutonnat and Mylène Farmer)

Coldplay vs. Alizée mashup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnD5laDP8A0)

I don't know what would make anyone think they lifted it deliberately. :no:

Andreas

PeterSparker
12-09-2008, 07:45 AM

Not for me, Boris.

I agree 100%, you've sized him up pretty well. I'm a guitar player and Satriani always struck me as technically a very good musician but with no real soul at all. His music and sound are beyond generic. But as said already he's well regarded, and even taught a few of the more notable guitarists that have come up after him.

That said, I think Chris Martin is the biggest tool in music today, so anything that is an aggrevation in his side is fine by me.

Ultimate Lurker
12-09-2008, 07:46 AM

Not for me, Boris.

You say this, and you've never heard of Satriani? He gave lessons to Steve Vai and Kirk Hammett, among others. Surfing with the Alien and Satch Boogie are amazing songs. I also love Always With Me, Always With You.

Oh yeah, Summer Song. And he started G3.

Rosdower 3.0
12-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Everyone says Pearl Jam ripped of Zeppelin.

That wouldn't really matter as Zeppelin is nothing but a rip-off/american blues cover band anyway. ;)

Patch
12-09-2008, 07:53 AM
You say this, and you've never heard of Satriani? He gave lessons to Steve Vai and Kirk Hammett, among others. Surfing with the Alien and Satch Boogie are amazing songs. I also love Always With Me, Always With You.

Oh yeah, Summer Song. And he started G3.

I've heard of him. I managed an indie record store for a few years.
And, yeah, I probably heard some of his early stuff but never cared. What I heard last night reinforced it.

Technique combined with a buncha shite.

Hammett and Vai? Also shite.

markgrayson
12-09-2008, 07:55 AM
I've heard of him. I managed an indie record store for a few years.
And, yeah, I probably heard some of his early stuff but never cared. What I heard last night reinforced it.

Technique combined with a buncha shite.

Have you heard Jason Becker or Marty Friedman?

Rosdower 3.0
12-09-2008, 07:57 AM

Doesn't seem like he'd be source material for Coldplay.

Just because you haven't heard of or know about Joe Satriani doesn't mean Coldplay hasn't.

In fact, if you were going to rip something off, wouldn't you want to go obscure or underground so no one would notice?

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Have you heard Jason Becker or Marty Friedman?

More metal-derived guitar players.
You guys are gross.

Get back to me when you discover music.

markgrayson
12-09-2008, 08:06 AM
You guys are gross.

Stanley Jordan?

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Stanley Jordan?

Django Reinhardt, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, B.B. King, Albert King, Grant Green, Jimi Hendrix, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, John Abercrombie, Tal Farlow, Albert Collins, Robert Johnson, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Raney, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Barney Kessel, Otis Rush, Elmore James, Herb Ellis, Russ Freeman, Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanon, Magic Sam, Jeff Beck, Gabor Szabo-- and, okay, Jimmy Page.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
12-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Rip off.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
12-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Django Reinhardt, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, B.B. King, Albert King, Grant Green, Jimi Hendrix, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, John Abercrombie, Tal Farlow, Albert Collins, Robert Johnson, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Raney, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Barney Kessel, Otis Rush, Elmore James, Herb Ellis, Russ Freeman, Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanon, Magic Sam, Jeff Beck, Gabor Szabo-- and, okay, Jimmy Page.

These are some fantastic players. Let's add John McLaughlin in there. Even Mike Stern.
I have had the pleasure to listen to the following live:
Joe Pass twice, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, John Abercrombie X 2 and Mike Stern many many times.

costello
12-09-2008, 08:26 AM

I love you.

markgrayson
12-09-2008, 08:28 AM

Blues/Jazz type guitarists.

These are some fantastic players. Let's add John McLaughlin in there. Even Mike Stern.

:rock: I fuckin' love Mahavishnu Orchestra

I'd personally add Al Dimeola.

Ryudo
12-09-2008, 08:29 AM

:heart:

You tell 'em, Patchie!

WillieLee
12-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Ewww, guitar nerds.

Gregory
12-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Why doesn't Moxy Fruvous sue for them also ripping off their King of Spain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00zjEq9PNs)?

costello
12-09-2008, 08:36 AM

John Zorn's Naked City?

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:38 AM
I have had the pleasure to listen to the following live:
Joe Pass twice, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, John Abercrombie X 2 and Mike Stern many many times.

Never heard Joe Pass or John Scofield live. That must have been great. Pass has cut indispensable jazz records and Scofield's great.

I have seen McLaughlin and Stern. Love McLaughlin's Mahuvishnu & Shakti records. Stern hasn't took hold of me the way the others have and loses something in the studio.

My biggest disappointment regarding jazz concerts wasn't guitarists but the Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter tour for 1+1. Two legendary guys who gave a lackluster performance and cut it short.

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Just because you haven't heard of or know about Joe Satriani doesn't mean Coldplay hasn't.

No, it does. It means exactly that. Weird, huh?

markgrayson
12-09-2008, 08:42 AM
John Zorn's Naked City?

Gah?

PatrickA
sounds very similar. hearing the two together sounds good, too.

I hear a similarity in one part. When listening to them together, they sound way off except in one part.

I agree with Ryan.

They sounded somewhat similar until your listened to them over top of one another.

Boris the Blade
Ah.

Patch is Coldplay.

It all makes sense now.

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Ah.

Patch is Coldplay.

It all makes sense now.

Gwyneth Paltrow is stretched out naked before me as we speak.

Gregory
12-09-2008, 08:47 AM

Was she not befouled by Mario Batali?

costello
12-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Never heard Joe Pass or John Scofield live. That must have been great. Pass has cut indispensable jazz records and Scofield's great.

I have seen McLaughlin and Stern. Love McLaughlin's Mahuvishnu & Shakti records. Stern hasn't took hold of me the way the others have and loses something in the studio.

My biggest disappointment regarding jazz concerts wasn't guitarists but the Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter tour for 1+1. Two legendary guys who gave a lackluster performance and cut it short.

Scolfield with Medeski, Martin and Wood was awesome.

Boris the Blade
12-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Enh.

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Was she not befouled by Mario Batali?

Mario's here too. Cooking some fancy meatballs.

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Scolfield with Medeski, Martin and Wood was awesome.

A Go Go!

Gregory
12-09-2008, 08:53 AM

I hope you threw his Crocs into the fireplace.

Patch
Enh.

You're hotter for Satriani than Paltrow?

I'll never understand you, Boris.

Ultimate Lurker
You guys are gross.

Dismiss a whole genre. Nice. I like a lot of what you listed. Doesn't mean there isn't good stuff elsewhere. Think outside the (blues) box.

markgrayson
12-09-2008, 08:54 AM

I'd rather have Giada.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/chrispowell_2008/giada_de_laurentiis_tc1-07_5.jpg

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I hope you threw his Crocs into the fireplace.

Hey, Gregory-- have you read Hugh Laurie's book?

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I'd rather have Giada.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/chrispowell_2008/giada_de_laurentiis_tc1-07_5.jpg

Isn't it ridiculous that a woman can look like that AND cook?
She's like a black hole of awesome sucking it away from a thousand other women.

Patch
12-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Dismiss a whole genre. Nice. I like a lot of what you listed. Doesn't mean there isn't good stuff elsewhere. Think outside the (blues) box.

Oh, go play Guitar Hero.

markgrayson
12-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Isn't it ridiculous that a woman can look like that AND cook?
She's like a black hole of awesome sucking it away from a thousand other women.

It's mind-bottling.

SgtPepper
12-09-2008, 09:01 AM

I might add Pete Townshend to the list. I like his electric playing all right, but it's his acoustic playing which sounds at times like amped up flamenco style playing, that I like.
Maybe George Harrison makes the cut for his lyrical playing and slide guitar.

Boris the Blade
12-09-2008, 09:02 AM
You're hotter for Satriani than Paltrow?

I'll never understand you, Boris.
I have a bald guy thing.

Hence my coming to these forums, I certainly don't read comics.

TheTravis!
12-09-2008, 09:04 AM
I loved Joe Satriani when I was in the 8th grade.

Patch
12-09-2008, 09:10 AM
I might add Pete Townshend to the list. I like his electric playing all right, but it's his acoustic playing which sounds at times like amped up flamenco style playing, that I like.

Love 'em both.

Patch
12-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I loved Joe Satriani when I was in the 8th grade.

Don't be coy, what're you really trying to say?

Mike_Johnson
12-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm partial to Tommy Emmanuel. A great acoustic player.

Ultimate Lurker
12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Drums are the new guitar

Horizon Drive
12-09-2008, 09:16 AM

Loves me some George Harrison.

I also like Joe Satriani. Yeah he plays mostly metal influenced music, but I always found his work more emotional and melodic than those of his ilk.

I do have that one album of his where he tried to sing. Ugh.

Dan-C
12-09-2008, 09:19 AM

that dude's moustache makes him look like a child molester.

Considering there are 2 acts claiming Coldplay ripped them off, its going to take a lot to convince a judge. Similar is never the same, especially when it comes to artistic expression.

Ultimate Lurker
12-09-2008, 09:19 AM
I really enjoy Timo Tolkki. His 90's stuff anyway.

TheTravis!
12-09-2008, 09:26 AM

That's pretty much it. When I was in the 8th grade, I thought Joe Satriani ws the coolest motherfucker on the planet.

Patch
12-09-2008, 09:32 AM
That's pretty much it. When I was in the 8th grade, I thought Joe Satriani ws the coolest motherfucker on the planet.

That's pretty much how I felt about Clapton and Jimmy Page.

Ultimate Lurker
12-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Did you shave your head and wear sunglasses everywhere?

greg donovan
12-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Airegin is such an awesome song.

Patch
12-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Airegin is such an awesome song.

From a great record.
Grant Green & Sonny Clark recorded a terrific version, as did Miles.

greg donovan
12-09-2008, 09:50 AM
From a great record.
Grant Green & Sonny Clark recorded a terrific version, as did Miles.

i will have to look those up.

it is such a catchy rythmn. plus i love the sound a big old hollow body electric guitar.

TheTravis!
12-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Did you shave your head and wear sunglasses everywhere?

It was the 80s. I was dressed like a little, tiny Don Johnson.

Gregory
12-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey, Gregory-- have you read Hugh Laurie's book?

I have not, but I'm very curious to watch Jeeves and Wooster.

costello
12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I'd rather have Giada.

My wife was a bit skeptical when I had her show saved on my DVR. It's the only cooking show I can watch with the sound off.

costello
12-09-2008, 10:10 AM

He's a closet Matheny fan?

costello
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Drums are the new guitar

You can thank Rock Band for that one.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
It's pretty cut and dry.

They ripped off the melody. You can rip off chord structure, as its very finite but you can't rip off melody. There is legal precedent behind this.

Patch
12-09-2008, 10:24 AM

I had the 'Road Warrior'.

The little blond streak at the temple. Because, you know, my skinny ass, adam's apple bobbin' frame was the splitting image of young Mel Gibson.

SgtPepper
12-09-2008, 10:31 AM
It's pretty cut and dry.

They ripped off the melody. You can rip off chord structure, as its very finite but you can't rip off melody. There is legal precedent behind this.

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1076/107654/300_107654.jpg

Yes.

PhilipClark
12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I&feature=related

Here they are together.

costello
12-09-2008, 10:58 AM
But don't you need so many consecutive notes for it to be plagiarism? Isn't that how Green Jelly got away with the Metallica riff?

19bernardo87
12-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Is it me or it's just one part of the song that sounds familiar?

Well, anyway, I find guitar solos quite boring, so I'm glad Coldplay made something good out of it IF they ripped it off (which to me is still a sketchy claim).

WinterRose
12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I didn't know about this one. Though that one main riff you hear them using for 'Talk' sounds pretty much identical to 'Computer Love' by Kraftwerk.

Kraftwerk - Computer Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RwZcYpn4_E

Coldplay - Talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9rH2x5KUw

Ben Rosen
12-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I didn't know about this one. Though that one main riff you hear them using for 'Talk' sounds pretty much identical to 'Computer Love' by Kraftwerk.

Kraftwerk - Computer Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RwZcYpn4_E

Coldplay - Talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9rH2x5KUw

that was a cleared sample.

WinterRose
12-09-2008, 04:20 PM
that was a cleared sample.

Cool. That's good to know.

Mary E. Brickthrower, MEB Grim
12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
That CREAKY BOARDS song is pretty catchy. I like it better when COLDPLAY covers it.

the loner
12-09-2008, 05:17 PM

:heart:

Alex(sadly)Maleev
12-09-2008, 05:20 PM

Lets add Paco and listen to them play trio in SF.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
12-09-2008, 05:23 PM

If you ever come to NYC, let me know, you will hear Stern play next to you. It is so impressive and personal, my dad who is a huge jazz fan and a guitar player was blown away and that was on the next night after we went to Keith Jarrett trio in Carnegie Hall. Just imagine...
http://55bar.com/

Ultimate Lurker
12-09-2008, 05:31 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot he used to look like

http://www.guitarontheedge.co.uk/images/modern_guitar/joe_satriani_5.jpg

Patch
12-09-2008, 06:06 PM
If you ever come to NYC, let me know, you will hear Stern play next to you. It is so impressive and personal, my dad who is a huge jazz fan and a guitar player was blown away and that was on the next night after we went to Keith Jarrett trio in Carnegie Hall. Just imagine...
http://55bar.com/

You're a jazzbo! You bet I will.
Saw Stern in L.A. about 10 years ago. It'd be great to hear him now.

And Jarrett. The things you get to do in NY. Was that with Peacock and DeJohnette? Gorgeous music.

greg donovan
12-09-2008, 06:19 PM
on a slightly related note i saw Leo Kotke thanksgiving weekend in minneapolis at the state theater and it was awesome. just him sitting in a chair with his two guitars and a mic. the sound was amazing.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
You're a jazzbo! You bet I will.
Saw Stern in L.A. about 10 years ago. It'd be great to hear him now.

And Jarrett. The things you get to do in NY. Was that with Peacock and DeJohnette? Gorgeous music.

Yeah, them bastards. Seen them 3 times now. Keith Jarrett is a giant asshole and a great performer.

Patch
12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Keith Jarrett is a giant asshole and a great performer.

I've never heard otherwise :)

Unknown Kadath
12-10-2008, 01:13 PM
A comparison video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I&eurl=

Listen to them each separately:

If I Could Fly - Joe Satriani (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcjXo8ZuqE&feature=related)

Viva La Vida - Coldplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE)

As someone not familiar with either song beforehand, I have to say after watching the comparison video that if I hadn't known it came first, I would have thought the Satriani song was a karoake/muzak version of the Coldplay song. Seems a little too similar to be accidental to me.