PDA

View Full Version : Captain Britain and MI13 trade will be $16.99 for 4 issues

Thudpucker
11-18-2008, 03:11 PM
http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=11108

Ouch.

It's a great series. I was really hoping that when the first trade comes out that lots of new readers would try it out and get hooked because I'd love to see it have a long life.

That is a steep price though, I've never paid that much for a trade that only collects four issues worth of material. It would be like paying 4.25 cover price for the singles.

I know I'm cheap, so maybe it's just me, but this is going to hurt the series isn't it? How many new readers are going to jump at paying an extra 5 dollars for a series they waited for trade on?

Joe Henderson
11-18-2008, 03:12 PM
What a lovely way to make sure no one buys it. Great book, too, so doubly a shame.

LenNWallace
11-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah, the trade and hardcover prices from Marvel are getting out of hand. I looked at the February solicits and my God... I'm gonna have to stop buying A LOT of good shit.

Drew
11-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Shit. I'm poor already.

Mighty Clintro
11-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I bought the first 3 issues off of ebay for only $5. Looks like I made out like a bandit.

Simps
11-18-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't understand how they can price the Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 10 HC at $40 while the Mighty Avengers HC will cost $35 for more issues/pages.

LenNWallace
11-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't understand how they can price the Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 10 HC at $40 while the Mighty Avengers HC will cost $35 for more issues/pages.

Apparently, we're in a recession...?

ZombieSpeedball
11-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Apparently, we're in a recession...?

Well this is the first I'm hearing of it. Someone should alert the President.

Thudpucker
11-18-2008, 03:27 PM

I've been expecting the USM OHC's to stay at that 39.99 price point from now on, it's a huge seller and I doubt anyone who has the previous volumes is going to stop collecting them now.

MI13 is a new book though. And this isn't even a hardcover, it's a thin paperback. I don't get this move at all, it's like Marvel doesn't even care if new readers try out the book.

Supajoe
11-18-2008, 03:34 PM
ooh, yikes.. i was waiting for this trade, but no thanks!

NickT
11-18-2008, 03:35 PM
ooh, yikes.. i was waiting for this trade, but no thanks!
$10 on Amazon.

Supajoe
11-18-2008, 03:35 PM
$10 on Amazon.

:mistrust: interesting.

Kedd
11-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I was going to pick this up, but with a price point like that, it's just not feasible. Guess I'll try and find the back issues then

George
11-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Vertigo has the best prices on first volume TPBs at 10 bucks.

For anything higher then that I'll still use DCBS and their 40% Marvel book.

Thudpucker
11-18-2008, 03:45 PM
$10 on Amazon.

Only because the price is too high to begin with. If it had been priced at 9.99 (what I would expect a 4 issue trade to be) then Amazon could have discounted it down to 5 or 6 dollars.

Bargain hunting online is all well and good but alot of readers support local comic shops. Shops that can't afford to give much of a discount these days.

Thudpucker
11-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Vertigo has the best prices on first volume TPBs at 10 bucks.

For anything higher then that I'll still use DCBS and their 40% Marvel book.

I bought Northlanders volume 1 just this weekend because of the price. 9.99 for 8 issues is well worth trying a series out, and I ended up loving it. They are going to end up getting 6 more dollars out of me now for issues 9 and 10 since I hear they are standalone.

Vertigo really has thier act together. Sure the paper quality isn't as good but that doesn't bother me at all.

Nick MB
11-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah, the day an average six issue TPB of recent material goes above $20 is probably the day I reconsider the whole habit. But hopefully we aren't quite there yet.

Happy Time Harry
11-18-2008, 05:56 PM
This is why I stopped buying trades & started checking them out at the libary.

And yes, I meant to leave out the "r"

Artie Pink
11-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Yipes.

Boris the Blade
11-18-2008, 06:05 PM
I've already had to cut down my list, I can't take much more.

I'm going to fall out of comics again because, like when I was a kid, I can't afford to keep up.

jason hissong
11-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Rediculous when Oni can produce this:

http://thequarterbin.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/local-c1.jpg

And sell it for $30.00.

That single product puts the big two to shame.

Rod Nunley
11-18-2008, 06:15 PM
I totally agree Jason. Local was an AMAZING bargain and that Marvel wants to charge so much for solittle is embarrising.

QuasarRadio204
11-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I've officially dropped comics. No shit. I will OCCASIONALLY buy a TPB but other than that I'm done. I can't pay 40 bucks for 11 issues of a comic. I also refuse to wait forever for the normal TPB edition which is too expensive as well. I'm a college student and I work. I have more important things to pay for. I will save my spending money on better forms of entertainment. By better I mean more bang for my buck. For forty bucks for a 11 issue book I could drop another 20 and get a video game. A game could last me for an infinite about of time. I'm STILL playing COD 4 online. I can get cd's that would be only 9 to 13 bucks that will last me a long time. Or buy four or three novels for the price of a graphic novel. I can get an entire album for the price of about three or four 22 page comic books.

The problem has become that the books are too damn expensive for not enough story. Decompressed stories were great while they were reasonably affordable. Now I have to collect seven issues of a book to get the whole story arc and then countless tie ins and event books. Bull shit. I'll stick with Vertigo books. I get a cheaper price and you know what? The stories I'm reading won't be retconned a couple years down the line.

EDIT: btw this isn't me talking out my ass. I've already stopped several months ago. I've boughten three tpb's in half a year.

cmoney
11-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah, the day an average six issue TPB of recent material goes above $20 is probably the day I reconsider the whole habit. But hopefully we aren't quite there yet.

Gods, I hate to say it, but I think I'm with you there. I'm already trade-only, but if that starts to be a more expensive hobby than singles, I may just throw in the towel.

QuasarRadio204
11-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Another thing. Is there any reason why Civil War and Secret Invasion couldn't have been told in the Avengers books? Maybe a cross over into the Iron Man book and Cap book?

I swear it's a stupid idea. For all the readers they gained by big events they must be losing more. I don't see how this business will survive the economic break down we are just entering. Instead of making sound business decision these companies are forcing their fans to buy hardcover books that in a few months time will cost half a hundred dollars for a month or less of stories. Oh, you don't have to buy the HC but by the time the TPB comes out that event will be ending and a new one will be starting up. I've hard friend who've dropped comics because they refused to pay 4 dollars for a 22 page comic where little happens but the wait between TPB's were so long they couldn't even remember the storyline and lost interest.
THat and all the variant covers, having to read different books just to get one story it's insanity.The only company event i've seen done right I think, or close to right, was Messiah Complex. They kept it in the main books. They didn't make you buy: Uncanny, X-Factor, X-Men, New X-Men and the Messiah complex miniseries.

Thudpucker
11-18-2008, 06:28 PM
I'll never quit but I will cut back drastically. Over the last few years I've bought alot of trades just to try stories out but that is when an average trade was 15.00 or less. When 20.00 becomes the norm I'll be alot more selective about what I buy.

QuasarRadio204
11-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Gods, I hate to say it, but I think I'm with you there. I'm already trade-only, but if that starts to be a more expensive hobby than singles, I may just throw in the towel.

I know man. Where is the inventiveness? Is Marvel digital comics worth a shot? Too be honest I might not care to read a comic online but that's my problem not Marvel's. But how does the subscription system work? I'm looking at the site and I just don't get it. Do all of Marvel's new comics go up or just certain ones? Do I pay a base fee and get to read all I want or do I sign up for x amount of titles?

I'm worried that in a couple of years they only way to see our heros will be on the movie screen. How long will that last though? After a few more summers the whole genre could be worn out and be rejected by movie goers.

NickT
11-18-2008, 06:49 PM
The problem has become that the books are too damn expensive for not enough story. Decompressed stories were great while they were reasonably affordable. Now I have to collect seven issues of a book to get the whole story arc and then countless tie ins and event books. Bull shit. I'll stick with Vertigo books. I get a cheaper price and you know what? The stories I'm reading won't be retconned a couple years down the line.
Vertigo books aren't decompressed?

And who cares if a story is retconned? A good story is a good story. The book doesn't get retconned from your memory or your shelf.

Another thing. Is there any reason why Civil War and Secret Invasion couldn't have been told in the Avengers books? Maybe a cross over into the Iron Man book and Cap book?
Sales. Lots and lots of sales.

I swear it's a stupid idea. For all the readers they gained by big events they must be losing more.
If they must be losing more, they wouldn't do it.

THat and all the variant covers, having to read different books just to get one story it's insanity.The only company event i've seen done right I think, or close to right, was Messiah Complex. They kept it in the main books. They didn't make you buy: Uncanny, X-Factor, X-Men, New X-Men and the Messiah complex miniseries.
But you still had to read different books just to get one story, which you are criticising. You can read SI alone.

Thudpucker
11-18-2008, 07:00 PM
The never ending events and tie-ins will end, stuff like that is cyclical. It was big in the 90's, it went away then came back. It'll go away again in a few years.

dEnny!
11-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Sshhhh....Jen will now raise the price on the Mighty Avengers HC Simpson! :scared:

dEnny!
11-18-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't understand Marvel's thinking on releasing 22 Volumes worth of trades for Secret Invasion and then charging MORE for the trade than issues.

dEnny!
11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
$10 on Amazon.

Not the point. Not worth it. It should be $6-8 if they sold it at the correct price point. 4 issues @ $2.99 = $12 - 30-50% discount = $6-8.40.

It's not that you can get it for less than retail, it's that the retail is TOO expensive so the discounted price really isn't that affordable in comparison to buying the 4 issues for 20-40% off through my LCS or DCBS.

dEnny!
11-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Rediculous when Oni can produce this:

http://thequarterbin.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/local-c1.jpg

And sell it for $30.00.

That single product puts the big two to shame.

Yeah, I still need to buy this.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
11-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Not the point. Not worth it. It should be $6-8 if they sold it at the correct price point. 4 issues @ $2.99 = $12 - 30-50% discount = $6-8.40.

It's not that you can get it for less than retail, it's that the retail is TOO expensive so the discounted price really isn't that affordable in comparison to buying the 4 issues for 20-40% off through my LCS or DCBS.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Sound logic wins...and unfortunately fails again! I'm glad I just went on and start buying this series monthly. Unless it goes up to 3.99 :scared:

HoldFastNow
11-18-2008, 07:59 PM
That sucks. Captain Britain is a good book and I know a couple people who were waiting for the trade that will probably not be getting this now.

Auguste Miller
11-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Sshhhh....Jen will now raise the price on the Mighty Avengers HC Simpson! :scared:

Or lower Ultimate Spidey ??!!

For the 4 issues Captain Britain TP, $18 for the HC maybe but for a TPB...NO WAY !!!!

dEnny!
11-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Sound logic wins...and unfortunately fails again! I'm glad I just went on and start buying this series monthly. Unless it goes up to 3.99 :scared:

I understand when companies have to raise their prices, but a collection of material should not cost 50% more to buy! That's not taking care of your customer.

Rod Nunley
11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I still need to buy this.

Yeah. You really should. It's very very good.

Will
11-18-2008, 08:33 PM
This is a pretty dumb move.

I hope it's just a mistake.

Taxman
11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
$10 on Amazon.It also says the MSRP is $14.99. If Thud's price is correct, best to order now. They will correct the error, but they may allow the lower price for those who already ordered.

Taxman
11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't understand Marvel's thinking on releasing 22 Volumes worth of trades for Secret Invasion and then charging MORE for the trade than issues.I suspect it is a case of a pricing increase trend hitting the trades before the floppies. Or perhaps, some specific cost associate only with the trade is going up.

If pricing decision made six months ago are coming into play now, the sales and revenues will be much less than projected.

killingyouguy
11-18-2008, 08:52 PM

I swear it's a stupid idea. For all the readers they gained by big events they must be losing more. I don't see how this business will survive the economic break down we are just entering. Instead of making sound business decision these companies are forcing their fans to buy hardcover books that in a few months time will cost half a hundred dollars for a month or less of stories. Oh, you don't have to buy the HC but by the time the TPB comes out that event will be ending and a new one will be starting up. I've hard friend who've dropped comics because they refused to pay 4 dollars for a 22 page comic where little happens but the wait between TPB's were so long they couldn't even remember the storyline and lost interest.

In terms of Messiah complex, I avoided it because I didn't want to pick up a new X-book from any number of different writers and artists like once a week during the storyline.

As far as civil war goes, I read the main title, Amazing Spider-Man, and New Avengers. And honestly Spidey could have been skipped, but I enjoyed it. So that's three books a month, hardly a massive hit.

And with SI I read the main title and New/Mighty avengers. Some of the other stuff I've checked out based on the creators working on them, not some vital chunk I thought I was missing from the story. SI: Thor and SI: Black Panther specifically. I feel like while I'm not checking in on every detail of the event, I'm still getting the main story. And that's all that matters.

As far as trade prices are concerned, yeah it sucks that they are going up, but frankly everything is going up. I know that's the common excuse, but food prices have been steadily skyrocketing for the last year or so. When gas and transport costs go up, everything goes up. Raw materials, printing itself, distribution. So the price point has to be raised. It unfortunate.

The problem I see is that if the companies can maintain sales at higher prices and the economy recovers and raw materials become cheaper again, there is no reason for them to lower their prices since they can reap the reward of higher profits and not see sales slip drastically enough. I'm not saying Joey Q or even the execs at Marvel are twirling their mustaches in hopes of raising prices to fatten their wallets. Far from it. I do really believe they are doing everything in their power to keep prices as low as they can be.

Personally, I get all my trades either on Amazon, Half.com, and at cons where they are regularly 50% or more off the cover price. I haven't tried In Stock Trades yet, though I've heard good things.

QuasarRadio204
11-18-2008, 10:09 PM
In terms of Messiah complex, I avoided it because I didn't want to pick up a new X-book from any number of different writers and artists like once a week during the storyline.

As far as civil war goes, I read the main title, Amazing Spider-Man, and New Avengers. And honestly Spidey could have been skipped, but I enjoyed it. So that's three books a month, hardly a massive hit.

And with SI I read the main title and New/Mighty avengers. Some of the other stuff I've checked out based on the creators working on them, not some vital chunk I thought I was missing from the story. SI: Thor and SI: Black Panther specifically. I feel like while I'm not checking in on every detail of the event, I'm still getting the main story. And that's all that matters.

As far as trade prices are concerned, yeah it sucks that they are going up, but frankly everything is going up. I know that's the common excuse, but food prices have been steadily skyrocketing for the last year or so. When gas and transport costs go up, everything goes up. Raw materials, printing itself, distribution. So the price point has to be raised. It unfortunate.

The problem I see is that if the companies can maintain sales at higher prices and the economy recovers and raw materials become cheaper again, there is no reason for them to lower their prices since they can reap the reward of higher profits and not see sales slip drastically enough. I'm not saying Joey Q or even the execs at Marvel are twirling their mustaches in hopes of raising prices to fatten their wallets. Far from it. I do really believe they are doing everything in their power to keep prices as low as they can be.

Personally, I get all my trades either on Amazon, Half.com, and at cons where they are regularly 50% or more off the cover price. I haven't tried In Stock Trades yet, though I've heard good things.

Never heard of Half.com. Will check it out.
I'm sorry but I can't think of a entertainment product having the price increases comics have. They were increasing far too much and far too much even before this economic headache we got into. Guess it's just a difference in opinion. I don't see the quality matching the prices.

Vertigo is decompressed but usually the quality is far higher in quality. Again that's a matter of opinion. Most series, with the exception of Fables, have an end in sight. No Marvel or DC comics do. Some retcons are good. I actually enjoyed Brand New Day though One More Day was a groan fest. However, the overwhelming amount of retcons are unnecessary. To me at least. Then again maybe I'm out growing super hero comics. Maybe it's the fact that nothing is ever going to end and the shocks and surprises are anything but to me and the stories I do enjoy aren't worth the price tag because they will only last as long as the next writer (or editor) want it to.

EDIT: Thanks Killingyouguy. This Half.com is really pretty good. Maybe there is hope yet. I see that EBAY is affiliated with this site. Do I have to bid on comics or can I just buy the product?

Taxman
11-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Never heard of Half.com. Half.com is just an arm of eBay. Non-auction sales, which makes it something like the Amazon Marketplace.

sonnylarue
11-19-2008, 02:17 AM
very dumb, it's a good series

NickT
11-19-2008, 04:20 AM

Is the point, because I was pointing somebody to a cheaper price. It is that you can get it for less than retail, as that is why I posted it. I'm trying to be helpful and find someone the cheaper price :)

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-19-2008, 04:39 AM
We were super excited to throw in hard behind this trade because it really is that solid of a series. The best to spring out of Secret Invasion. But at this price I have to rethink my plans. It needed to have been $9.99. Marvel could have taken a hit on some trade and it should have been this one. There is still time for them to make changes because Cornell and Kirk have done an amazing job on the British characters who had so far been a very hard sell and kind of difficult to present in any kind of new light over the decades. I'll plead my case to the powers this week.

Akira
11-19-2008, 04:40 AM
Unless you wanna start seeing ads in trades too you better get used to it.

As for Local, I assume (and Randy, feel free to chime in if I'm totally off on this) that it was published in a set, limited quantity and once it goes out of print, that's it.
I'd imagine a finite run, when you're pretty much guaranteed to sell through all your copies because of limited supply (as opposed to a book with a perceived "always in print" status) allows you to offset some of the price at retail because you know that you're going to have people pushing this to the top of their priorities list in fear of losing out on a chance to get it.

Rob Helmerichs
11-19-2008, 05:52 AM
According to David Gabriel at Marvel, the price is wrong (although he doesn't say what the correct price is).

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/reply/180000/t/Marvel-Solicitations-for-February.html#reply-180000

Ryudo
11-19-2008, 05:53 AM
According to David Gabriel at Marvel, the price is wrong (although he doesn't say what the correct price is).

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/reply/180000/t/Marvel-Solicitations-for-February.html#reply-180000

Hopefully $9.99.

16.99 is just stupid.

bartleby
11-19-2008, 06:14 AM

It's actually $18.99.

;)

NickT
11-19-2008, 06:15 AM
It's actually $18.99.

;)
:lol:

John Drake
11-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Unless you wanna start seeing ads in trades too you better get used to it.

As for Local, I assume (and Randy, feel free to chime in if I'm totally off on this) that it was published in a set, limited quantity and once it goes out of print, that's it.
I'd imagine a finite run, when you're pretty much guaranteed to sell through all your copies because of limited supply (as opposed to a book with a perceived "always in print" status) allows you to offset some of the price at retail because you know that you're going to have people pushing this to the top of their priorities list in fear of losing out on a chance to get it.

It's not a limited print run.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5200072&postcount=102

Brother Power the Gong
11-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Amazon says cover price will be $14.99, $10.19 after discount.

Akira
11-19-2008, 06:34 AM
It's not a limited print run.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5200072&postcount=102

fair enough :)

Thudpucker
11-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Amazon says cover price will be $14.99, $10.19 after discount.

Hopefully Marvel screwed up with Amazon too, 14.99 is still way too much. 11.99 would be ok but I hope it's 9.99.

NickT
11-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Hopefully Marvel screwed up with Amazon too, 14.99 is still way too much. 11.99 would be ok but I hope it's 9.99.
SI Black Panther and Runaways/YA are 12.99.

PeterSparker
11-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Great series, hopefully they price it for people to give it a try.

If they do, I recommend starting with the 'Wisdom' MAX trade beforehand, it's a great lead in to this series.

Taxman
11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Unless you wanna start seeing ads in trades too you better get used to it.Perhaps Marvel will need to get used to lower sales. Consumer prices are dropping at a record rate (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081119/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/economy_32). The market simply will not bear this.

Evan the Shaggy
11-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Perhaps Marvel will need to get used to lower sales. Consumer prices are dropping at a record rate (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081119/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/economy_32). The market simply will not bear this.

But surely the only thing that will attract younger readers is crippling prices.

Sam Little
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Hm. I didn't realize there was a price hike on Marvel trades. I was surprised when I picked up the Iron Man:Haunted trade to find out it was like 26.99 when I went to pay for it. All of a sudden it's 7 bucks more than usual price. A chilling trend...

Ben
11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Hm. I didn't realize there was a price hike on Marvel trades. I was surprised when I picked up the Iron Man:Haunted trade to find out it was like 26.99 when I went to pay for it. All of a sudden it's 7 bucks more than usual price. A chilling trend...Haunting even.

Howlett
11-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Hm. I didn't realize there was a price hike on Marvel trades. I was surprised when I picked up the Iron Man:Haunted trade to find out it was like 26.99 when I went to pay for it. All of a sudden it's 7 bucks more than usual price. A chilling trend...

Haunted was 2 issues longer than a typical arc though, running at 8 issues, so a slightly bigger than average trade. I would expect to pay a bit more for it than, say, the Extremis or Execute Program trades.

Sam Little
11-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Haunting even.

:lol:

Haunted was 2 issues longer than a typical arc though, running at 8 issues, so a slightly bigger than average trade. I would expect to pay a bit more for it than, say, the Extremis or Execute Program trades.

Yeah, but those were 14.99. A reasonable price would be more like 19.99 I'd think. I went ahead and bought it anyway though. Iron Man has rarely been better than the last few arcs.

DAVE
11-19-2008, 10:07 AM
If only there were multiple outlets online to purchase books at signifigant discounts!

Akira
11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Perhaps Marvel will need to get used to lower sales. Consumer prices are dropping at a record rate (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081119/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/economy_32). The market simply will not bear this.

Yes, they dropped 1% from their already recorded high

Over the past 12 months, consumer prices have risen by 3.7 percent. That is substantially below the 17-year high of a 12-month price increase of 5.6 percent set this summer. Core prices are up 2.2 percent over the past 12 months.

PeterSparker
If only there were multiple outlets online to purchase books at signifigant discounts!

That has been adressed a couple of times in this thread already, and not really the point.

Just sayin'

Rod Nunley

You mean ... some sort of ... discount comic book service ? Will such a thing ever exist I wonder?

bartleby
11-19-2008, 10:12 AM
You mean ... some sort of ... discount comic book service ? Will such a thing ever exist I wonder?

Or maybe an amazing online retailer.

DAVE
11-19-2008, 10:13 AM
That has been adressed a couple of times in this thread already, and not really the point.

Just sayin'
What is the point? Ignoring that cheaper alternatives exist as to not get in the way of another thread whining about comic prices?

Howlett
11-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, but those were 14.99. A reasonable price would be more like 19.99 I'd think. I went ahead and bought it anyway though. Iron Man has rarely been better than the last few arcs.

Ah, didn't realise those arcs were that cheap in trade. Thought they were closer to the 20 mark.

Well then, yes. You have a point. A difference of $10 for 2 extra issues is a fucking rip off.

bachman
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
What is the point? Ignoring that cheaper alternatives exist as to not get in the way of another thread whining about comic prices?

I think a large concern is related to comic shops, they are the ones that suffer when everyone starts going to amazon. It reduces the sales of singles versus trades, and it reduces the number of customers who go to comic shops. But, maybe that's the future of comics.

Generic Poster
11-19-2008, 10:27 AM

The point is that 60% of $25.00 is still more than 60% of $20.00. If you only already buy from DCBS and have (like many people do) a fixed comic budget, price increases are still going to cause people to drop some books.

DAVE
11-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I think a large concern is related to comic shops, they are the ones that suffer when everyone starts going to amazon. It reduces the sales of singles versus trades, and it reduces the number of customers who go to comic shops. But, maybe that's the future of comics.

The point is that 60% of $25.00 is still more than 60% of $20.00. If you only already buy from DCBS and have (like many people do) a fixed comic budget, price increases are still going to cause people to drop some books.
;) Wow, that's the point of the thread? I didn't get that from this, at all:

Ouch.

It's a great series. I was really hoping that when the first trade comes out that lots of new readers would try it out and get hooked because I'd love to see it have a long life.

That is a steep price though, I've never paid that much for a trade that only collects four issues worth of material. It would be like paying 4.25 cover price for the singles.

I know I'm cheap, so maybe it's just me, but this is going to hurt the series isn't it? How many new readers are going to jump at paying an extra 5 dollars for a series they waited for trade on?

bachman
11-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Well any-hoo, thats my concern.

I switched from singles to trades about 6 months ago due to price and convenience. Although, I did feel bad about leaving my shop of ten years...

PeterSparker
11-19-2008, 10:37 AM

Sorry, didn't realize your fist post was just to take a snarky shot at Thudpucker.

I was refering to discussions earlier in the thread about why even if you can find books below the retail price, it's a wrong headed policy to inflate the price so heavily for such a small number of issues in a trade. Especially one a new reader might be willing to give a shot to if not for the inflated price. (even though it appears the original price quote was wrong) That was the point I was refering to. The one already brought up a couple of times, a couple of pages back.

Taxman
11-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Yes, they dropped 1% from their already recorded highA full percentage point in a month is very significant, no matter how silly you get about it.

Evan the Shaggy
11-19-2008, 10:56 AM

I have to respectfully disagree Dave. People aren't ignoring the alternatives, they're just trying to show their displeasure in the fact that something that they like to collect has gone up in price with seemingly no extra content/value added.

As has been mentioned numerous times, the eyes of the industry DO tend to look at this board in some respects, so why not show your frustration with something you don't like in the comic industry in one of the places where your voice may actually be heard?

Thudpucker
11-19-2008, 10:58 AM

Supporting local comic shops is for suckers, huh? :lol:

Personally I kind of agree. I hate mail order shopping though.

DAVE
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Sorry, didn't realize your fist post was just to take a snarky shot at Thudpucker.

I was refering to discussions earlier in the thread about why even if you can find books below the retail price, it's a wrong headed policy to inflate the price so heavily for such a small number of issues in a trade. Especially one a new reader might be willing to give a shot to if not for the inflated price. (even though it appears the original price quote was wrong) That was the point I was refering to. The one already brought up a couple of times, a couple of pages back.
I wasn't taking a shot at Thudpucker in the slightest. I was pointing out that there were cheaper alternatives (which as you pointed out, I wasn't the first to do). You said that the fact that there were cheaper alternatives wasn't the point of this thread. I was quoted the original post to illustrate that there was nothing about that post that demonstrated cheaper alternatives were against the point of this thread. That's all.

Thudpucker
11-19-2008, 11:03 AM

As Denny and I have already pointed out, the lower the SRP the lower the reduced price.

Math is teh hard, I know, but discount sellers can sell a book SR priced at 9.99 for even less than they could one priced at 16.99.

DAVE
11-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I have to respectfully disagree Dave. People aren't ignoring the alternatives, they're just trying to show their displeasure in the fact that something that they like to collect has gone up in price with seemingly no extra content/value added.

As has been mentioned numerous times, the eyes of the industry DO tend to look at this board in some respects, so why not show your frustration with something you don't like in the comic industry in one of the places where your voice may actually be heard?
Okay, that's fine. More power to you.

Supporting local comic shops is for suckers, huh? :lol:

Personally I kind of agree. I hate mail order shopping though.
Not so much, "Supporting local comic shops is for suckers" as much as "paying more for something when a cheaper alternative exists, for no good reason" is kinda, yeah, for suckers.

DAVE
11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
As Denny and I have already pointed out, the lower the SRP the lower the reduced price.

Math is teh hard, I know, but discount sellers can sell a book SR priced at 9.99 for even less than they could one priced at 16.99.
Yeah, it seems like the point of this thread is simply just to whine about comics not being as cheap as we'd like them to be.

Thudpucker
11-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Not so much, "Supporting local comic shops is for suckers" as much as "paying more for something when a cheaper alternative exists, for no good reason" is kinda, yeah, for suckers.

Some people have a 'support small businesses' thing. They like the diversity of them, they don't want to see Wal-mart like corporate chains swallow up everything.

Me, I just want to buy product cheaply. Convience will make me spend more but keeping some guy from going out of business? Not so much.

Thudpucker
11-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, it seems like the point of this thread is simply just to whine about comics not being as cheap as we'd like them to be.

More an expression of suprise than outlet for whine, but there is always room for whine too.

DAVE
11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
More an expression of suprise than outlet for whine, but there is always room for whine too.
Nothing wrong with that.

PeterSparker
11-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I wasn't taking a shot at Thudpucker in the slightest. I was pointing out that there were cheaper alternatives (which as you pointed out, I wasn't the first to do). You said that the fact that there were cheaper alternatives wasn't the point of this thread. I was quoted the original post to illustrate that there was nothing about that post that demonstrated cheaper alternatives were against the point of this thread. That's all.

Eh, sometimes discussions evolve from the original post, but apparently that falls under the category of whinning, so whatever. But if you were just trying to enlighten people that on-line discounts exsist, then fine.

DAVE
11-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Eh, sometimes discussions evolve from the original post, but apparently that falls under the category of whinning, so whatever. But if you were just trying to enlighten people that on-line discounts exsist, then fine.
Dude, your original issue with my post was (aside from it being pointed out already) that it wasn't "the point". I agree that "sometimes discussions evolve from the original post".

NickT
11-19-2008, 01:02 PM
It also had the annual in it.

Thudpucker
02-08-2009, 07:28 PM
This is coming out in les than 2 weeks and Marvel still has it listed at 16.99 SRP:

Amazon lists it at 14.99 SRP (which is still way too much for 4 issues):

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Britain-MI-Secret-Invasion/dp/0785133445/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234153575&sr=8-1

What happened to the rumored adjustment to the price? Anyone know if it will come out at a reasonable 11.99 or is one of these inflated prices are final?

Pat Loika
02-08-2009, 07:28 PM
This is coming out in les than 2 weeks and Marvel still has it listed at 16.99 SRP:

Amazon lists it at 14.99 SRP (which is still way too much for 4 issues):

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Britain-MI-Secret-Invasion/dp/0785133445/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234153575&sr=8-1

Its not 4 issues.

dEnny!
02-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Its not 4 issues.

Marvel should fix that information then.

CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI13 VOL. 1: SECRET INVASION
The Story: The Skrull Invasion isn’t restricted to the US. When the Skrull Invasion hits England, only Captain Britain and MI13 stand in their way. Can they find out what the Skrulls are after before it’s too late? Collecting CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI13 #1-4.
Rated T+ …$16.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-3344-5

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2009-02

Adrian B AWESOME
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
So wait...6 issues for 14.99 is now a bad deal?

And, again, if you're paying cover price for comics or trades, you're absolutely nuts.

Bill!
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
16.99 is too much for even 6 issues. Marvel should take Vertigo's cue and price first volumes at around 10 bucks. That's the best way to encourage new readers.

Thudpucker
02-08-2009, 07:33 PM
So wait...6 issues for 14.99 is now a bad deal?

And, again, if you're paying cover price for comics or trades, you're absolutely nuts.

They are soliciting it as 4 issues. How are you getting 6?

edit - ok, I see now that Amazon is claiming it's 6 issues. That would be wierd, issues 5 and 6 are the first half of a four issue arc.

Adrian B AWESOME
02-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Marvel should fix that information then.

I typically find Marvel's website to be the WORST site for Marvel news.

Adrian B AWESOME
02-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Amazon, but reading it closer, there's no way. According to Amazon, the book is 96 pages. That's 4 issues.

So confused.

I AM GROOT!
02-08-2009, 07:35 PM

The Amazon solicitation:
http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Britain-MI-Secret-Invasion/dp/0785133445/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234154024&sr=1-3

Product Description
The Skrull Invasion isn't restricted to the US! When the Skrull Invasion hits England, only Captain Britain and MI: 13 stand in their way. Can they find out what the Skrulls are after before it's too late? Collects Captain Britain and MI: 13 #1-6

David Aspmo
02-08-2009, 07:38 PM
How would it be 6 issues? The first storyline is only 4 issues long, and issues #5 and #6 are the prologue and part one (of four) of the next storyline.

David Aspmo

Thudpucker
02-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Barnes and Noble has yet another price, they list it as 15.99:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Captain-Britain-and-MI/Paul-Cornell/e/9780785133445/?itm=2

Joe Kalicki
02-08-2009, 07:43 PM
It should be an even $13.

Nick Spencer
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
16.99 is too much for even 6 issues. Marvel should take Vertigo's cue and price first volumes at around 10 bucks. That's the best way to encourage new readers.

99 cents would encourage even MORE readers!

Thudpucker
02-08-2009, 07:46 PM
How would it be 6 issues? The first storyline is only 4 issues long, and issues #5 and #6 are the prologue and part one (of four) of the next storyline.

David Aspmo

It's probably wrong, but I guess it could work

the last page of issue 6 was the full page reveal of Meggan. It's a cliffhanger ending for a trade but it wouldn't be bad

Joe Kalicki
02-08-2009, 07:48 PM
It's probably wrong, but I guess it could work

the last page of issue 6 was the full page reveal of Meggan. It's a cliffhanger ending for a trade but it wouldn't be bad

The Brubaker Captain Ameroca Omnibus ended with issue 25, which was the first issue of a storyarc.

tom daylight
02-09-2009, 12:35 AM
It's the first four issues plus Marvel Team-Up #65-66, the first US appearance of Captain Britain (a superb two-part story by Claremont and Byrne, also the first ever appearance of Arcade).

BWC Boston
02-09-2009, 01:08 AM
It's the first four issues plus Marvel Team-Up #65-66, the first US appearance of Captain Britain (a superb two-part story by Claremont and Byrne, also the first ever appearance of Arcade).

So it's still only 4 issues of the comic I keep hearing good stuff about and wanted to try a trade of, and a few issues of an old comic that, however great, isn't at all what I wanted to buy?

No thanks. If it was a not-much-of-a-bargain-but-still-doable $12.99, I'd have blind-bought it. But 4 issues of what I was actually interested in, and then charging me an extra 5 or so bucks to pawn off some old material for which they have an antiquated and advantageous royalties contract...well, I'll have to pass. I've seen them do this before, but at least with the AGENTS OF ATLAS collections, I had a bunch of other interesting special features and a hardcover to justify it.

No wonder I've been reading so much of your stuff at Borders and not paying for it, Marvel. Between your asinine and overpriced Premier hardcovers, your lackadaisical softcover scheduling, and near non-existent oversized hardcovers, you've saved me a lot of money. Congrats. You've made DC's trade program almost make sense.

tom daylight
02-09-2009, 01:15 AM
It's actually $15.99.

BWC Boston
02-09-2009, 01:23 AM
It's actually $15.99.

I'm still pissed! Don't talk sense!

s.oliver
02-09-2009, 01:45 AM

If only that were the topic!

If only - if only that were the topic - those would offer
the same deal outside of North America!

cmoney
02-09-2009, 01:56 AM
So it's still only 4 issues of the comic I keep hearing good stuff about and wanted to try a trade of, and a few issues of an old comic that, however great, isn't at all what I wanted to buy?

In this same vein, I'm getting pretty tired of trades that collect Marvel Spotlight or Saga issues as space filler. Does anyone seriously care about those things?

Whip
02-09-2009, 02:58 AM
So, $15.99 for 6 issues. That's roughly $2.66 per issue. You're just paying thirty three cents less than if you'd buy each of the issues separately.

I agree trades should be a good way to gain new readers and should be cheaper (who doesn't want cheaper stuff?), but at the same time, I'm sure Marvel wants to turn a decent profit.

tom daylight
02-09-2009, 03:33 AM
Actually the MTU story is 17 pages each (like most Marvel comics of the 1970s) so it really counts as five and a half issues total.

It's a bit irritating when they lump new and old material together, not least because they tend to charge more for the old material because of 'restoration' costs...

Plus those two issues originally cost $0.35 each :)

dEnny!
02-09-2009, 03:42 AM
Some people have a 'support small businesses' thing. They like the diversity of them, they don't want to see Wal-mart like corporate chains swallow up everything.

Me, I just want to buy product cheaply. Convience will make me spend more but keeping some guy from going out of business? Not so much.

I don't mind supporting my local comic shops. I usually prefer it and will sometimes pay a little more even if there is a cheaper alternative online.

For example, I called my old LCS yesterday to ask about a couple of LotDK back issues that weren't available and since he had those was willing to buy the others even though they were cheaper online. A couple were a dime more, but one comic was $2 more, but I guess I'd rather give him a couple extra bucks as a thank you for having the stuff I needed that no one else did.

dEnny!
02-09-2009, 03:43 AM

Yeah, it's sort of crazy for the publisher to provide accurate information of their product online, in their solicitation in their Marvel Previews Catalog...I can't imagine why it's not selling better.

If they got it right they might see a dramatic increase in sales of Captain Britain and MI13. I will not be buying it because I have NO idea waht I'm going to get or how much it's going to cost.

dEnny!
02-09-2009, 03:45 AM

Sort of like NORTHLANDERS by Brian Wood, which is 8, count 'em EIGHT, issues for $9.99.

Greygor
02-09-2009, 04:14 AM

I get more accurate Marvel news from Fortune Cookies than their website :mistrust:

Thudpucker
02-09-2009, 05:34 AM
So, $15.99 for 6 issues. That's roughly $2.66 per issue. You're just paying thirty three cents less than if you'd buy each of the issues separately.

I agree trades should be a good way to gain new readers and should be cheaper (who doesn't want cheaper stuff?), but at the same time, I'm sure Marvel wants to turn a decent profit.

It's not 6 issues of 'Captain Britain and MI13'. It's 4 issues + 2 old reprints I've already read and don't want.

Why would I want to pay 5.32 for 2 old reprints I don't want?

Adrian B AWESOME
02-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Sigh.

If anyone is paying $15.99 for this trade, they are an idiot, meaning there are TONS of places to get this less than retail.

ClintP
02-09-2009, 05:48 AM
$10 on Amazon.

I like how people always point out stuff is cheaper on discount places, but if the real price was lower the discount would be cheaper as well. So what if it is $10 on amazon, something with 4 issues worth of material should be $6 there.

I AM GROOT!
02-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Most of the time, I enjoy the reprints, but charging as much for them as you would a modern issue seems a bit excessive.

Thudpucker
02-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Sigh.

If anyone is paying $15.99 for this trade, they are an idiot.

Sigh.

We've gone over this about 20 times already but it never seems to sink in.

The more expensive the SRP, the more expensive the discounted price. Even if you find it at 40% off somewhere you are still paying alot more than you would if it was 40% off of 11.99.

What is so hard to understand about this?

Thudpucker
02-09-2009, 05:53 AM
I like how people always point out stuff is cheaper on discount places, but if the real price was lower the discount would be cheaper as well. So what if it is $10 on amazon, something with 4 issues worth of material should be $6 there.

Clint gets it :thumb:

Adrian B AWESOME
02-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Sigh.

We've gone over this about 20 times already but it never seems to sink in.

The more expensive the SRP, the more expensive the discounted price. Even if you find it at 40% off somewhere you are still paying alot more than you would if it was 40% off of 11.99.

What is so hard to understand about this?

So, in other words, it's not as cheap as YOU want it to be.

Ok.

schizorabbit
02-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Didn't Lord Jermaine Retail give us the heads up on this a while back? He was, like, "Guys, if I were you, I'd go ahead and get the singles while you can, because the trade's gonna fuck you up the ass with its egregiously high price so hard that you're gonna get bumps popping out at the top of your skulls."

Well, he didn't use those words, but that's how it plays in my head.

Thudpucker
02-09-2009, 06:03 AM
So, in other words, it's not as cheap as YOU want it to be.

Ok.

No shit. I think the book is overpriced, I thought I was very clear about that all along.

What exactly confused you?

ClintP
02-09-2009, 06:22 AM
But all this extra money goes to the people who make our hobby a reality! We should give them even more money no questions asked! :)

Brother Power the Gong
02-09-2009, 06:36 AM
I'm guessing this is the beginning of higher priced TPBs and comics (as evidenced by Marvel upping some books by a buck), but some of these first wave trades have the higher price, even though the original material had the older price. Oh well, the trade is cheaper than the four issues if ya get it on amazon or wherever.

Adrian B AWESOME
02-09-2009, 06:37 AM
I remember back when trades were priced to match the cover price of the singles.

Spending $10 to get 4 $3.00 issues and 2 hard-to-find issues to get new readers familiar with a character who's steeped in mythology.

I guess what I'm saying is that this all just sounds like sour grapes.

Greygor
02-09-2009, 07:13 AM
But all this extra money goes to the people who make our hobby a reality! We should give them even more money no questions asked! :)

The Phrase that comes to mind has an F and a U in it along with "the horse you rode in on" :)

On a serious note the most you should charge for a trade, IMO, is a multiple of the original comic price, 4 comics at $2.99 should be $11.96.

I may allow extra for extras, as it were. But what are we getting for the extra $5.03 here

At most it has to be collated (from digitally stored pages?)

New art work for the cover (not sure how much extra this adds to the overall price)

An intro?

Nope I'm not getting the reasoning for the extra price.

And is Amazon running it as a loss leader or are they making money on that $10 price

Adrian B AWESOME
02-09-2009, 07:19 AM
You know, nevermind. No one has the facts straight because we're being told totally different things from different places.

The Dean
02-09-2009, 07:41 AM
I blame the trade waiters.

bartleby
02-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I blame the trade waiters.

They're getting their comeuppance now!

juampi
02-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I was hoping that the trade sales would help this title stay afloat...Oh well.

tom daylight
02-09-2009, 08:05 AM
You know, nevermind. No one has the facts straight because we're being told totally different things from different places.

Diamond says it's $15.99 for #1-4 and MTU #65-66. That's the updated listing. It's common knowledge Marvel doesn't update its own web database very effectively.

tom daylight
02-09-2009, 08:07 AM
And is Amazon running it as a loss leader or are they making money on that $10 price

I think retailers usually get sold goods at cost of up to 66% of RRP. For a big retailer like Amazon with bulk orders it'll probably be a lot lower than that (50%? 33%?).