PDA

View Full Version : I have a new book: I WAS SOMEONE DEAD

Jamie S. Rich
06-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Bendis, in his eerie quest to seek validation and get me back on his message board, told me I should come around and hype my new book. I had avoided doing that, because I didn't want to be like some creators (*cough* Brubaker *cough* Mahfood :p ) and only show up when I wanted your money. But he assurred me it was okay.

I have a short prose book out through my boys at Oni Press. It's called I Was Someone Dead. It's a strange story about a man who lives on an island with his dog, looking for an existence of solitary peace; unfortunately, he has visions of a monster living in the ocean, and its presence unnerves him. Things get more complicated when a woman arrives, and he now has two guests he never expected.

In addition to the prose, it contains 10 full-page illustrations by the awesome Andi Watson.

Oni has some preview material on their site (http://www.onipress.com/graphicnovels/gn.php?id=124), as well as an interview with me here (http://www.onipress.com/buzz/newdisplay.php?article=184).

Denny's read it. He liked it. Listen to Denny.

St.-
06-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I have no problem with creators talking about there work here. If you spend just alittle time posting on boards and take alittle pride in your work that says alot. Also being from portland helps. :grin:

Brian Defferding
06-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Kickass! I'm all over it like a drunken prom date!

alexlannin
06-14-2005, 09:23 AM
I've got it, I haven't read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

SteveZegers
06-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Is it out? I'm planning to get it.

Jamie S. Rich
06-14-2005, 09:31 AM
I have no problem with creators talking about there work here. If you spend just alittle time posting on boards and take alittle pride in your work that says alot. Also being from portland helps. :grin:

I'm trying to find other threads to post in. I swear to God!

Angel of Distraction
06-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Short on money, but I saw it in Little Star and will get to it.

Jamie S. Rich
06-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Is it out? I'm planning to get it.

Yup. It came out the first week of the month. Thanks!

alexlannin
06-14-2005, 09:35 AM
How about doing a store signing in Hillsboro :)?

Jamie S. Rich
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
I'd be into a signing. Probably best to set it up through Oni, though, as they can also arrange to make sure you have plenty of books on-hand.

By the by, anyone interested in what the hell I have been up to in the last year should note I also have three short stories out in various comic books:
* "(T For) True" in Four Letter Worlds (Image Comics), illustrated by Andi Watson
* "Kago No Tori" in The Dark Horse Book of the Dead (Dark Horse), illustrated by Guy Davis, colored by Dave Stewart
* "Fifteen, Clumsy & Shy" in Blue Monday: Painted Moon (Oni), illustrated by Chynna Clugston-Major.

I also do the scripts for the Tokyopop series Ai Yori Aoshi, Gravitation, Honey Mustard, and Legal Drug on a regular basis.

And expect big announcements from me at the San Diego Con.

St.-
06-14-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm trying to find other threads to post in. I swear to God!

I meant you were taking the time to post. sorry for the confusion. :smile: And if you do decide to do a signing somewhere in portland or the surrounding area please make a thread about it. thanks.

alexlannin
06-14-2005, 10:09 AM
I'd be into a signing. Probably best to set it up through Oni, though, as they can also arrange to make sure you have plenty of books on-hand.

By the by, anyone interested in what the hell I have been up to in the last year should note I also have three short stories out in various comic books:
* "(T For) True" in Four Letter Worlds (Image Comics), illustrated by Andi Watson
* "Kago No Tori" in The Dark Horse Book of the Dead (Dark Horse), illustrated by Guy Davis, colored by Dave Stewart
* "Fifteen, Clumsy & Shy" in Blue Monday: Painted Moon (Oni), illustrated by Chynna Clugston-Major.

I also do the scripts for the Tokyopop series Ai Yori Aoshi, Gravitation, Honey Mustard, and Legal Drug on a regular basis.

And expect big announcements from me at the San Diego Con.

Check your pms please, thanks!

Los
06-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Got it this weekend. My LCS didn't have it. Had to travel miles and miles to get it. IT WAS WORTH IT!

St.-
06-16-2005, 06:53 PM
anyone else check this out yet? I still havnt had a chance to go to a comic book store.

Shwicaz
06-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Be sure to read my review of this book over at cellar door publishing's review site.

It will be up tuesday, and i think its my best yet.

jacoblb
06-17-2005, 07:21 AM
I'll be picking up this book in addition, of course, to oh-so many other Oni books.

Jonny Z
06-17-2005, 07:26 AM
im gonna get it when i can find it (probably this weekend in the city)

Ed Brubaker
06-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Bendis, in his eerie quest to seek validation and get me back on his message board, told me I should come around and hype my new book. I had avoided doing that, because I didn't want to be like some creators (*cough* Brubaker *cough* Mahfood :p ) and only show up when I wanted your money.

Hey, I occasionally stop by to talk about religion and politics, or to vote on which comics writer girl is hottest. ;)

Jamie S. Rich
06-18-2005, 11:16 AM
You're caught, Brube! Admit it, you only saw this thread because you searched your name!

Ed Brubaker
06-20-2005, 09:57 AM
YOu have such a poor self-image, Jamie, I'm just a huge fan of yours. ;)

bartleby
06-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Bendis, in his eerie quest to seek validation and get me back on his message board, told me I should come around and hype my new book. I had avoided doing that, because I didn't want to be like some creators (*cough* Brubaker *cough* Mahfood :p ) and only show up when I wanted your money. But he assurred me it was okay.

Eh, that's because Bendis himself only shows up when he wants our money - that just happens to be pretty much every day of the year.

Jonny Z
06-20-2005, 10:03 AM
jim hanley's universe didnt have any copies of the book! i was upset.

Jamie S. Rich
06-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Bug 'em to get it!

Amazon currently has some b.s. special order thing on the book, too, so we're hassling our distributor. I know they have at least five orders for it, because they went through my site. Such frustration!

mike black
06-20-2005, 10:14 AM
DAMNIT, Jamie!

That sounds alot like a book I had plotted out. You've killed my concept. We must fight to the death now.

Regardless, congrats! Welcome back to the board!

Jamie S. Rich
06-20-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm told Joyce Carol Oates had a similar story in the McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Story edited by Michael Chabon, so it's a bit of a slut of a concept. Sorry!

Schroedingers Cat
06-20-2005, 10:24 AM
I picked up my copy this weekend. I can't wait to read it.

Jim

Jonny Z
06-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Bug 'em to get it!

Amazon currently has some b.s. special order thing on the book, too, so we're hassling our distributor. I know they have at least five orders for it, because they went through my site. Such frustration!

yeah, and i thought if anyone would have it, it'd be them. i consider them one of the better indie carrying shops in NYC. oh well... i'll keep lookin.

Shwicaz
06-20-2005, 10:47 AM
yeah, and i thought if anyone would have it, it'd be them. i consider them one of the better indie carrying shops in NYC. oh well... i'll keep lookin.

if you need one sent out let me know.

We have one.

Jonny Z
06-20-2005, 10:51 AM
if you need one sent out let me know.

We have one.

yeah, ill get it from you guys if i cant find it elsewhere. ill probably be in town july 4th weekend or definately the week after. ill keep ya posted.

Shwicaz
06-21-2005, 04:08 AM
For all of you interested in the book, here is my review of this excellent work

http://www.cellardoorpublishing.com/reviews.htm (http://www.cellardoorpublishing.com/reviews.htm)

(I made another thread for the review, but figured I would put it here, too, sorry for the 'spamming')

St.-
06-21-2005, 07:05 AM
For all of you interested in the book, here is my review of this excellent work

http://www.cellardoorpublishing.com/reviews.htm (http://www.cellardoorpublishing.com/reviews.htm)

(I made another thread for the review, but figured I would put it here, too, sorry for the 'spamming')

nice review.