PDA

View Full Version : Batman Battle for the Cowl...written by Tony Daniel?

Raphael J
11-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that this was supposed to be Morrison writing. Was this a change or was I just not paying attention when they said no writer had yet been announced?

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110812-Didio2.html

I know Morrison hasn't been in the solicits in a while, so is he still on the book?

Ray G.
11-12-2008, 01:10 PM
We have no confirmation of Morrison writing any DC books past the two-part epilogue to RIP.

I thought Winick was supposed to be writing it.

Generic Poster
11-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Interest . . . fading . . . fading . . .fading

EDIT: And, after reading that: gone. Enough with the fucking stunts. Can I not just get a decent Batman book that tells stories about Batman detecting shit and beating people up? Fuck! Here's my dream:

Batman: Written and drawn by Matt Wagner

Detective: Written by Paul Dini, drawn by John Byrne

Sy-Klone
11-12-2008, 01:23 PM
We have no confirmation of Morrison writing any DC books past the two-part epilogue to RIP.

I thought Winick was supposed to be writing it.

It's my understanding that Morrison is on BATMAN indefinitely. I thought he was taking a break for the Denny O'Neil story and Neil Gaiman's story, but that he'd be coming back to BATMAN afterward.

Now we have this Battle of the Cowl thing. I'm so confused.

The Dean
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Interest . . . fading . . . fading . . .fading

EDIT: And, after reading that: gone. Enough with the fucking stunts. Can I not just get a decent Batman book that tells stories about Batman detecting shit and beating people up? Fuck! Here's my dream:

Batman: Written and drawn by Matt Wagner

Detective: Written by Paul Dini, drawn by John Byrne

Throw in a book W&D by Darwyn Cooke and we've got a deal.

Generic Poster
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Throw in a book W&D by Darwyn Cooke and we've got a deal.

I was originally going to say 'tec drawn by Cooke, but I figured that was shooting too high (even in a dream scenario).

TheKraken
11-12-2008, 01:42 PM
That's it for me & Batman, I guess. I was only there for Morrison. I'll probably stick with 'Tec if Dini does.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
11-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I'd like to thank DC for saving me 2.99 a month.

Thank you DC.

RegularJoe
11-12-2008, 01:47 PM
:frustrat:

bartleby
11-12-2008, 01:58 PM
This is OBVIOUSLY just a typo. I'm sure DC will have corrected it by the end of the day.

Fake Pat
11-12-2008, 02:02 PM
This is OBVIOUSLY just a typo. I'm sure DC will have corrected it by the end of the day.

"Were still locking down the writer on the Oracle miniseries, but Battle for the Cowl will be written and drawn by Tony Daniel, which were very excited about. This is the first time Tonys written in a while, and hes just champing at the bit to be able to do this, and were excited that hes on the series. "

I find it pretty hard to believe that whole paragraph's a typo.

I'll be shocked if Morrison comes back to Batman at all.

THWIP!
11-12-2008, 02:04 PM
"Were still locking down the writer on the Oracle miniseries, but Battle for the Cowl will be written and drawn by Tony Daniel, which were very excited about. This is the first time Tonys written in a while, and hes just champing at the bit to be able to do this, and were excited that hes on the series. "

I find it pretty hard to believe that whole paragraph's a typo.

I'll be shocked if Morrison comes back to Batman at all.

It's a joke. That's what everyone was saying when the solits came out for issue 7 of Final crisis and it was being drawn my Mahnke and not Jones.

Fake Pat
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
It's a joke. That's what everyone was saying when the solits came out for issue 7 of Final crisis and it was being drawn my Mahnke and not Jones.

See what happens when I get suspended?

I'm lost, man.

THWIP!
11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
See what happens when I get suspended?

I'm lost, man.

Ah. I see.

Michael Blacklist
11-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Morrison has stated, very recently even, that he'll be back on Batman as soon as Battle For The Cowl ends. I'd like to think that he's more conservative in his self-hype than others.

Olivier E.
11-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Oh my, is there no better writer at DC than an artist to write a big event book? ...

Adam Geen
11-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Oh my, is there no better writer at DC than an artist to write a big event book? ...

That's what I was thinking and I don't even read DC books.

WilliamRichard1985
11-12-2008, 03:03 PM
sounds like another bad idea on DC's part regardless who's writing

as someone mentioned earlier,enough with the stunts

Amedeo
11-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Hmm, well, as I have no past experience with Tony Daniel as a writer, I look forward to seeing what he'll be bringing to the table.

Garth
11-12-2008, 03:08 PM

Seriously! If they did that, I might actually buy a DC book again. I dropped off Batman titles (despite loving the character) when they started to forego all the detective and crime aspects, in favor of super-hero antics. Bring back the Batman we all love!

Jonathan Callan
11-12-2008, 03:31 PM
WHAT THE FUCK?

This removes all excitement I had for this fucking event.

Artie Pink
11-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Not even Batman needs to be published monthly if it's not ready. Yeesh, DC.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
11-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I think the thing that bugs me the most about this Question and Answer session is that it's looking more and more like "The Blackest Night" will be DC's next Crisis-like mega crossover instead of the end of Johns and Van Scriver's trilogy. Act 1 : rebirth mini-series, Act 2 : Sinestro war in the Gl title and GL Corps and Act 3 : the blackest night : line wide?

I don't know, maybe they planned this all along, but I liked the previous stories because they were grand in scope but limited in their books. Now it seems we'll have prologues out the ass before the thing even gets here!

lonesomefool
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Eh....not sure about this. Hopefully Daniel will do well, but this entire Batman run has been bordering on "eh" for a long time now. Morrison has a lot of hits on his resume, but Batman hasnt been one, even if RIP ends up well.

I could also see myself dropping this as well, I am already skipping the O'Neil issues since that guys writing hasnt aged very well sadly, and there are a lot of good books out there right now anyway.

Ray G.
11-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Not even Batman needs to be published monthly if it's not ready. Yeesh, DC.

My feeling is that it is ready.

Morrison's left the book. Daniel, being the artist and having some writing experience, is working from his plans. That's my guess, at least.

Criden
11-12-2008, 04:03 PM
What a fucking bizarre choice.

lonesomefool
11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
And you know, Mike Marts deserves a lot of the blame for this as well. That guy did a shitty job of running the X-Books when he was at Marvel, the main books floundered for years while Claremont wrote them into the ground and now it seems like the good Batman books almost happen by accident. I miss the days of Bob Shreck being in charge, you had a lot of great creative team runs when he was in charge.

Ryan Elliott
11-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Why must they destroy my favorite character? :cry:

Masculine Todd
11-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Tony Daniel is a writer.

He's written his own work at Image prior to being signed to DC Comics.

Ray G.
11-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Tony Daniel is a writer.

He's written his own work at Image prior to being signed to DC Comics.

And given how closely he worked with Morrison, he doesn't sound like the worst choice. He'll hopefully be able to keep the tone fairly close.

Sy-Klone
11-12-2008, 04:25 PM
My feeling is that it is ready.

Morrison's left the book. Daniel, being the artist and having some writing experience, is working from his plans. That's my guess, at least.

I think you're mistaken on this.

From an interview Morrison gave two months ago: (http://comics.ign.com/articles/902/902992p6.html)

IGN Comics: So a number of Post-RIP Batman projects were announced at San Diego Comic Con, including Neil Gaimans two-part story. Are you involved at all with the planning of those projects?

Morrison: The two-part Final Crisis tie-in I'm doing to follow RIP is a kind of trek through Batman's entire history, but otherwise I'm not involved with the post-RIP projects. I'm very excited to see what Neil does. Then there's the "Battle for the Cowl," which I'm not writing, although I do know who wins. Then after that, I'm back on Batman and I'm sure there will be a big announcement about what that's going to be like.

Once you see what happens to Batman in Final Crisis, you'll realize how the Battle for the Cowl comes about. First its RIP, and we'll see how that winds up for Batman. Then the two-parter I mentioned goes through Batman's whole career, in a big summing up of everything that also ties directly into Final Crisis. And Final Crisis is where we see the final fate of Batman.

So two months ago, Morrison already confirmed he wasn't writing "Battle for the Cowl" and confirmed he's jumping back on BATMAN after "Battle for the Cowl" finishes.

Ray G.
11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Ah. Thanks for that.

Seems very odd that Morrison wouldn't write this crucial part in the story.

DeluxeVoltron
11-12-2008, 05:21 PM
ill definitely give it a shot. really interested to see what mr daniels writing is like. i do think its odd to give a big project to a guy that hasnt written in a while. seems more prudent to break them in with a lesser arc here and there. definitely would help consumer confidence. but im sure he got the job for good reason. they must have liked what he brought to the table and im interested to see what that will be.

Alan(OW)Barnes
11-13-2008, 05:42 AM
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I LOVED Tony Daniel's creator owned work. The art was a bit 'cheese cake' for my current tastes, but his classic-monster-inspired 'The Tenth' was one of my favorite books 12 years ago (guilty pleasures and all). Adrenaline (sp?) received modest critical acclaim, and Silke wasn't bad.

I may actually pick up these issues instead of waiting for the trade just to support the guy.

Masculine Todd
11-13-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I LOVED Tony Daniel's creator owned work. The art was a bit 'cheese cake' for my current tastes, but his classic-monster-inspired 'The Tenth' was one of my favorite books 12 years ago (guilty pleasures and all). Adrenaline (sp?) received modest critical acclaim, and Silke wasn't bad.

I may actually pick up these issues instead of waiting for the trade just to support the guy.

Humankind, his last creator-owned title, also received positive reviews.

Doug
11-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Seriously! If they did that, I might actually buy a DC book again. I dropped off Batman titles (despite loving the character) when they started to forego all the detective and crime aspects, in favor of super-hero antics. Bring back the Batman we all love!

Dini has been doing the detective and crime book to Morrison's superhero book.

If you haven't tried Dini's Detective give it a shot, it has been very good. Most stories are done in ones (there was a two part Zatanna story and the current Heart of Hush arc that ends this week was 5 issues).

Dini has been really good, and I love what he's done with the Riddler.

Generic Poster
11-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Dini has been doing the detective and crime book to Morrison's superhero book.

If you haven't tried Dini's Detective give it a shot, it has been very good. Most stories are done in ones (there was a two part Zatanna story and the current Heart of Hush arc that ends this week was 5 issues).

Dini has been really good, and I love what he's done with the Riddler.

I agree, but it seems like this battle for the cowl shit is going to fuck everything up.

Doug
11-13-2008, 07:28 AM
I agree, but it seems like this battle for the cowl shit is going to fuck everything up.

I think it is going to depend on who ends up with the cowl. If it is Tim or Dick I don't see there being that big of an issue. Dini can still tell his detective/crime stories with Batman, and Morrison can come back and do his superhero stories.

Besides I'm sure that whoever is Batman after Battle for the Cowl (except if it is Bruce) it will be a temporary thing and Bruce will be Batman again after an extended vacation.

Generic Poster
11-13-2008, 07:39 AM
I think it is going to depend on who ends up with the cowl. If it is Tim or Dick I don't see there being that big of an issue. Dini can still tell his detective/crime stories with Batman, and Morrison can come back and do his superhero stories.

Besides I'm sure that whoever is Batman after Battle for the Cowl (except if it is Bruce) it will be a temporary thing and Bruce will be Batman again after an extended vacation.

Maybe they could call the arc with Dick as Batman "The Good Son." Then, after Bruce comes back, in can be revealed that he spent his time building various auxillary Batcaves around the city. Then a huge earthquake could strike, and the government could declare Gotham a "No Human Occupation Zone." Batman could stay and have to retake the city from the crazies who stuck around.

Doug
11-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Maybe they could call the arc with Dick as Batman "The Good Son." Then, after Bruce comes back, in can be revealed that he spent his time building various auxillary Batcaves around the city. Then a huge earthquake could strike, and the government could declare Gotham a "No Human Occupation Zone." Batman could stay and have to retake the city from the crazies who stuck around.

Wouldn't it be cool if Lex Luthor tried to buy up as much of Gotham as he could while people couldn't live there? He would be Bruce Wayne's greatest enemy.

Generic Poster
11-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if Lex Luthor tried to buy up as much of Gotham as he could while people couldn't live there? He would be Bruce Wayne's greatest enemy.

Genius! There's never been a story like this before. We should stop posting our idead, and pitch this to DC posthaste!