PDA

View Full Version : Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes

Supreme Convoy
10-29-2008, 08:23 PM
For some reason, I was planning to not pick up Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes. But I'm starting to warm up to Ellis' run on X-Men. Plus I saw Alan Davis and Adi Granov's name on it so it was an immediate buy. However, while flipping through it right now, it feels like it's a cautious purchase.

It's only 32 pages with only 18 pages of actual story (it's solicited as 48 pages). The rest of the book is Ellis' script. I'm a bit conflicted: I think the two short stories are good (Adi drawing steampunk? Sweet!) and I'm interested in how Warren writes... but $3.99 is way too much for this.

Howlett
10-29-2008, 08:28 PM
The price was way too much for 18 pages.

And personally, I hated the stories so much it hurt my teeth. I wasn't loving Ellis's Astonishing run, but it wasn't terrible. But this... couldn't stand it.

Also, the first story didn't really make any bloody sense to me.

Criden
10-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Sounds awful. Not even a full 22 pages of story for $3.99? Weird.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I kinda liked the first story, REALLY fucking liked the second story.

Jerome Gibbons
10-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I've heard some bad things about this one. It's a shame, because the art really looked fantastic.

DaveCummings
10-29-2008, 08:31 PM
I bought it for the Warren Ellis script. That and the kickass Adi Granov steampunk art.

10-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Sounds awful. Not even a full 22 pages of story for $3.99? Weird.

Well, except that Ellis' script in the back here is just as interesting as most 22 page comics.

JHickman
10-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Wait, so it's 18 pages and then the back matter is the script for the 18 pages? Is that right?

10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Wait, so it's 18 pages and then the back matter is the script for the 18 pages? Is that right?

Yes. And also some of the art process.

MORE than worth 3.99 in my opinion.

Raphael J
10-29-2008, 08:38 PM

Sixteen pages of story.

One page of cover process and eleven pages for script.

So, twenty-eight pages total, actually.

However, there is one in house ad in the book, an ad on the back page, the back cover, and only one ad in the book.

Criden
10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, except that Ellis' script in the back here is just as interesting as most 22 page comics.

Regardless, not really the comic pages you might expect, right?

ETA: I'm assuming the script is for the same stories that are in there. I could be totally wrong, of course.

Supreme Convoy
10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes. And also some of the art process.

MORE than worth 3.99 in my opinion.

I guess for me it's pricing the book appropriately according to page count/paper quality with other books. The Ultimate Captain America Annual is 48 pages for $3.99, which is reasonable. Secret Invasion has the same page count as a regular title and is $3.99 but it does have a cardstock cover.

I don't see a reason why Ghost Boxes #1 was a buck more than a regular monthly title.

Supreme Convoy
10-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Regardless, not really the comic pages you might expect, right?

Exactly. Generally, I don't flip through comics before purchasing them to prevent spoilers so I didn't see this one coming.

Criden
10-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Exactly. Generally, I don't flip through comics before purchasing them to prevent spoilers so I didn't see this one coming.

I do the same, for the very same reason.

THWIP!
10-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Thank you for this. I'm not buying it now.

Marcdachamp
10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Rip off of the week. First story was okay, but confusing, second story was AWESOME, then I turned the page and immediately felt ripped off.

Humphrey_Lee
10-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Rip off of the week. First story was okay, but confusing, second story was AWESOME, then I turned the page and immediately felt ripped off.

Yeah, there may have to be words about this somewhere...

David Aspmo
10-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Arrgh, this makes me realize how much more I'd like Ellis' run on Astonishing if Alan Davis were drawing it. I'd never considered that combination.

Man, that just works for me.

I like Bianchi's art quite a bit in general, but his storytelling gets obscured by over-designed layouts and an excessive number of extreme camera angles. And it feels especially out of place in this particular story Ellis is telling.

David Aspmo

10-29-2008, 11:01 PM
I got 2 Warren Ellis stories, some Adi Granov art, and a Warren Ellis script. I'd pay 5.99 for that and not feel ripped off.

10-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Arrgh, this makes me realize how much more I'd like Ellis' run on Astonishing if Alan Davis were drawing it. I'd never considered that combination.

Man, that just works for me.

I like Bianchi's art quite a bit in general, but his storytelling gets obscured by over-designed layouts and an excessive number of extreme camera angles. And it feels especially out of place in this particular story Ellis is telling.

David Aspmo

I feel the exact opposite. And I'm not even a big fan of Bianchi's art, but I love his layouts and choices of shots in this book. It fits perfectly with the high adventure sci-fi that Ellis is doing here. Just a perfect marriage in my opinion. And I don't think Davis' art worked well at all in this story.

Marcdachamp
10-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, there may have to be words about this somewhere...

I'm surprised there's been so little bitching.

DaveCummings
10-30-2008, 03:35 AM
I'm surprised there's been so little bitching.

Because alot of people are happy with the script included.

danlomb
10-30-2008, 03:42 AM
So, I'll state the obvious and point out that there's a second and final issue to the GHOST BOXES offshoot, and that its content is probably in the same formula.

SpecialK
10-30-2008, 05:09 AM

And personally, I hated the stories so much it hurt my teeth. I wasn't loving Ellis's Astonishing run, but it wasn't terrible. But this... couldn't stand it.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused, because I don't remember it happening like that in the series. I enjoyed the second story and the art was fantastic, though.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
10-30-2008, 05:40 AM
For some reason, I was planning to not pick up Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes. But I'm starting to warm up to Ellis' run on X-Men. Plus I saw Alan Davis and Adi Granov's name on it so it was an immediate buy. However, while flipping through it right now, it feels like it's a cautious purchase.

It's only 32 pages with only 18 pages of actual story (it's solicited as 48 pages). The rest of the book is Ellis' script. I'm a bit conflicted: I think the two short stories are good (Adi drawing steampunk? Sweet!) and I'm interested in how Warren writes... but $3.99 is way too much for this.

I jumped off this series with the last regular issue. Why?

1.) I din't like a 2 part mini-series dropped into the middle of an arc. It might have been intentional but it smacked of padding.

2.) I thought 3.99 was too steep of a price. And that was when it was 48 pages. Dough is tight and I'll just wait for the (eventual) collection.

Myles Griffin
10-30-2008, 08:18 AM
I got 2 Warren Ellis stories, some Adi Granov art, and a Warren Ellis script. I'd pay 5.99 for that and not feel ripped off.

My feelings exactly

Jef UK
10-30-2008, 08:22 AM
I thought the price was great. I got two amazingly illustrated short stories and a Warren Ellis script for $4.

Jef UK
10-30-2008, 08:23 AM
I jumped off this series with the last regular issue. Why?

1.) I din't like a 2 part mini-series dropped into the middle of an arc. It might have been intentional but it smacked of padding.

2.) I thought 3.99 was too steep of a price. And that was when it was 48 pages. Dough is tight and I'll just wait for the (eventual) collection.

As to 1), this isn't necessary reading for the main series. I don't even know if it should be called a mini-series. It's reimaginings of the Astonishing X-Men as gestured towards by the very existence of Ghost Boxes.

Jef UK
10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
I really like the bizzarre idea where there is another reality whose offshoot has an alternate 616 reality. Mind esplodes.

KingMob
10-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I really like the bizzarre idea where there is another reality whose offshoot has an alternate 616 reality. Mind esplodes.

Jesus H! you just spoiled something there didnt you?

Jef UK
10-30-2008, 08:27 AM

PhilipClark
10-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Davis and Farmer's art looked very rushed to me. Plus, too little story for the price tag. MAYBE once this is collected (it is only 2 parts), but probably a pass for me.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
10-30-2008, 08:33 AM
I think it just all comes down to letting folks know before hand. I believe it was solciited as 48 pages and then retroactively reduced to 32, with no price decrease or advance notice that the 32 pages would include two 8 page stories and back matter.

No one will dare call the creative team into question. Ellis, Davis and Granov are phenomenal...but I'm trying to cut back on things. Not to mention I'm trying to axe double purchases...so this just made my decision to wait for the over-sized hard cover easier.

modungo
10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
It should said on the cover that almost half of it was a script. I appreciate that some people are interested in that. I'm not. I have zero interest the script writing process. I get my escapism from reading stories not from dreaming about writing stories. I should be warned what I'm buying. Dick move.

Ben
10-30-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't like reading scripts.

Jef UK
10-30-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't like reading scripts.

:(

Ben
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
:(But I do like cutting and pasting from them!

DaveCummings
It should said on the cover that almost half of it was a script. I appreciate that some people are interested in that. I'm not. I have zero interest the script writing process. I get my escapism from reading stories not from dreaming about writing stories. I should be warned what I'm buying. Dick move.

So, does your comic shop polybag everything? I mean, do you not at least flip through it before buying it? Maybe I'm the minority, but I always do to at least see if the printing isn't all fucked up.

NickT
Didn't have any in my shop. Saaaad Nick :(

Humphrey_Lee
10-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Then they'll love you when $4 becomes the norm for all comics...

Myles Griffin
10-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Then they'll love you when $4 becomes the norm for all comics...

I think you missed his point.

modungo
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
So, does your comic shop polybag everything? I mean, do you not at least flip through it before buying it? Maybe I'm the minority, but I always do to at least see if the printing isn't all fucked up.

Yeah, well i did flip through because i wanted to make sure the davis on the cover was Alan Davis. But I didn't flip to the back because I wanted to see the end of the story, y'know, at the end. After I had read the story.

But to a degree you are right. I got hosed and that is always partially the fault of the hose-ee. But the still doesn't make the hosing right.

Master Jack Rabbitt
11-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I was very annoyed when I read this and discovered a mere 16 pages of actual story. What the fuck do I care about a script tacked on the end?

At least the art was good.

Jerome Gibbons
11-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah, I read it the other day. Yeah, I can understand people being bothered by this. For me, personally, it's not exactly a case of getting two short stories and a script so much as the fact that the two stories were just a little short and not really that great. The art was fantastic (especially in the Granov story, which was probably the best work I've ever seen from him) but the stories themselves were pretty dull and forgettable and at least in the case of the Granov story (which had a really fantastic concept at its core), really felt like they should have been longer. Having the script was cool too, but ehn. This is a case where I really would have preferred it if that space had been devoted to lengthening the stories.

Also, what was the deal with that first story, anyway? I'm not sure about how it fits in with the first few issues of AXM proper.

lonesomefool
11-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I would bitch about it, but I got it through DCBS so that tempered my anger.

Still, stuff like this just gets me pissy at Marvel. At least solicit it right or mention in the solicit you are paying only for 16 pages of story and some backup material that is more aimed at people who have an interest in the "creation" of the comic.

I cant hold this against the creative team and the story was pretty good, but yeah, come on Marvel, enough with this type of B.S.

David Aspmo
11-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Also, what was the deal with that first story, anyway? I'm not sure about how it fits in with the first few issues of AXM proper.
I took it to be (especially after reading the script) a "What If" style story where we saw what would have happened if Subject X had changed his tactics slightly so that he was able to defeat the X-Men, and what the fall-out would have been from that. A way of showing how incredibly high the stakes are in the ongoing story.

David Aspmo

The Goddamn Schweitz!
11-01-2008, 09:51 PM
All week I've been debating to get this or not. I enjoy Ellis but he's not in my top five favorite writers, but I do love the artists involved. But the more I think about it the more I think it's total fucking bullshit that marvel is charging $4 for what should be $1.50. I think I'll pass.

David Aspmo
11-01-2008, 09:56 PM
All week I've been debating to get this or not. I enjoy Ellis but he's not in my top five favorite writers, but I do love the artists involved. But the more I think about it the more I think it's total fucking bullshit that marvel is charging $4 for what should be $1.50. I think I'll pass.
It's not that bad. $2.99 would have been acceptable (or $2.50 without the script).

David Aspmo

The Goddamn Schweitz!
11-01-2008, 10:06 PM
It's not that bad. $2.99 would have been acceptable (or $2.50 without the script).

David Aspmo

No paying more than double for the amount is that bad. Hell, if the cover was at least one of those cardstock covers that would make me understand the decision a little better. Times are rough right now and for me to spend 4 bucks for....16 pages is it? that's just absurd. I'd like to read this but the only way I'll start saving money is by making decisions like this. Hopefully one day i'll find it at a con discounted.

Master Jack Rabbitt
11-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Meanwhile, I just read Proof and got a full 32 pages of story. Nice surprise. :D

Humphrey_Lee
11-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I think you missed his point.

No, I get the point he made, the book is still asinine to begin with. Then again, so is the fact that Secret Invasion is a dollar more without any extra content at all sans the first issue. Or any of this "pay an extra dollar for the cardstock cover" bullshit they pull. If companies like Image and Dark Horse and even Dynamite can keep their comics at $2.99 an issue, with no outside ad support or anything, and Marvel feels the need to randomly charge an extra dollar for 6 pages LESS than the norm, but with "extras" that take all of a fucking Copy/Paste to produce, then they can go screw. It's random price gouging on an entertainment product that really shouldn't be bothered with. Thankfully though, unlike something like gas that I need, I can put this back on the shelf, even if I was ready to give them the norm for it, despite the lesser pages. It's still just plain stupid though.

David Aspmo
11-01-2008, 10:37 PM
No paying more than double for the amount is that bad. Hell, if the cover was at least one of those cardstock covers that would make me understand the decision a little better. Times are rough right now and for me to spend 4 bucks for....16 pages is it? that's just absurd. I'd like to read this but the only way I'll start saving money is by making decisions like this. Hopefully one day i'll find it at a con discounted.
Hey, I'm not defending 4 bucks, I'm just saying this amount of content is worth more than $1.50.

David Aspmo

artimoff
11-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey, I'm not defending 4 bucks, I'm just saying this amount of content is worth more than $1.50.

David Aspmo

I didn't think it was worth the time it took to read in the shop for free.

Ashton
11-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I had planned to pick this up until I saw the price tag. how was that justified again? No card stock (which I hate paying an extra $1 anyways) and no extra pages. So this got a big PASS from me.

rogerio
11-02-2008, 01:28 AM
same here!:)

lonesomefool
11-02-2008, 03:45 AM
No, I get the point he made, the book is still asinine to begin with. Then again, so is the fact that Secret Invasion is a dollar more without any extra content at all sans the first issue. Or any of this "pay an extra dollar for the cardstock cover" bullshit they pull. If companies like Image and Dark Horse and even Dynamite can keep their comics at $2.99 an issue, with no outside ad support or anything, and Marvel feels the need to randomly charge an extra dollar for 6 pages LESS than the norm, but with "extras" that take all of a fucking Copy/Paste to produce, then they can go screw. It's random price gouging on an entertainment product that really shouldn't be bothered with. Thankfully though, unlike something like gas that I need, I can put this back on the shelf, even if I was ready to give them the norm for it, despite the lesser pages. It's still just plain stupid though.

QFT. Marvel has been pulling a lot of this shit lately, Secret Invasion, and Deadpool #1 and Ghost Rider #28 having the normal 22 pages of story, but Marvel charging an extra dollar for handbook reprints at the back.

I love what Marvel is doing, I buy a lot more Marvel books than I do any other company, but the price gouging in some cases has been horrible and shameful. Too bad we dont have Joe Friday's anymore where Matt Brady might actually ask Quesada about this, now it's run by a guy who prefaces every question with "I love Marvel books....".

Whatever, life goes on and in the grand scheme of things this is nothing, but it does rather piss me off to see a company pulling crap like this over and over again.

THWIP!
11-02-2008, 06:20 AM
I read this at the store. So happy I didn't buy it, what a fucking waste.

NickT
11-02-2008, 06:22 AM
I love what Marvel is doing, I buy a lot more Marvel books than I do any other company, but the price gouging in some cases has been horrible and shameful. Too bad we dont have Joe Friday's anymore where Matt Brady might actually ask Quesada about this, now it's run by a guy who prefaces every question with "I love Marvel books....".

Why not go and ask anyway? That doesn't mean they wont ask your question.

Gregory
11-02-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm morally obligated to buy Alan Davis books. I bought the book and enjoyed the whole thing.

Zac Goyette
11-02-2008, 06:53 AM
I like the idea of seeing Ellis' scripts, but for that price there should have been more story in there. It should be something similar to what we get when we purchase and issue of Powers or Criminal.

SpecialK
11-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but I was just thinking that if the second issue is the same format, why didn't they just do a one-shot with all 4 stories, and then a special later with the script for those who care?

danlomb
11-02-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm morally obligated to buy Alan Davis books. I bought the book and enjoyed the whole thing.

See this is my problem. I can take or leave an Ellis script - i'm a little Ellised out after reading Crooked Little Vein - but I too feel an obligation to purchase anything by the man Davis. Plus the completionist in me wants the whole Ghost Boxes collection.

Still torn. Moment of truth will come this week.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I was just thinking that if the second issue is the same format, why didn't they just do a one-shot with all 4 stories, and then a special later with the script for those who care?

Uh, so everyone will have to buy both? If your job was to make money for Marvel, what would you have done?
And I don't wanna hear any self-righteous crap! :D

lonesomefool
11-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Why not go and ask anyway? That doesn't mean they wont ask your question.

I'm not a member of Myspace and have zero interest in ever joining. I'm not a big fan of the "social networking" sites for a number of reasons.

Plus, unlike Newsarama I havent seen the current Joe Friday's do tough follow up questions like Newsarama did from time to time (though they sucked up as well a lot).

danlomb
11-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Plus, unlike Newsarama I havent seen the current Joe Friday's do tough follow up questions like Newsarama did from time to time (though they sucked up as well a lot).

You're not mistaken, I agree completely. The biggest appeal of NJF to me was that Quesada and Brady could have some great back-and-forths that didn't read as scripted or staged, there was real scrutiny and Quesada always performed well against it. Some of his best moments were when he would have to really think and strategise his words.

Shame we're not getting that out of him anymore.

Zac Goyette
11-02-2008, 07:29 AM
I enjoy a good interview as much as the next guy, but why does the interview always have to be a ballbuster for it to be good. I thought NJF on Myspace was to help promote the company to a widerscale audience that Myspace can offer.

lonesomefool
11-02-2008, 07:43 AM
I enjoy a good interview as much as the next guy, but why does the interview always have to be a ballbuster for it to be good. I thought NJF on Myspace was to help promote the company to a widerscale audience that Myspace can offer.

Well, that IS the purpose of it. I'm not saying it was a bad idea to switch or anything, just that the actual questions and content of Joe Fridays is now quite boring. I dont need to want to hear Joe Quesada try to sell me something, 99.9% of the books on the market I already know if I want to buy or not based on my personal tastes and the creators and content involved. Joe Quesada telling me to go buy Black Panther when it relaunches, doesnt make me want to buy the book anymore than before for the simple purpose Reggie Hudlin is still attached.

I have no interest in reading company hype, if I am gonna take the time to read a Joe Quesada interview I want him to be called on when Marvel makes a mistake. I would consider the pricing vs. content of some recent Marvel books has been something Quesada should be called out on and have to defend/explain why fans are paying $4 for a 16 page story and a script or for a stand length story with some lame, boring handbook entry in the back to jack up the price for no reason.

The last thing comics should be doing in these economic times is making people think of the PRICE of comics. I love comics, I buy a shit ton of them, but in terms of entertainment value for your dollar they can be pretty low on the list. Making people think about the actual cost of a comic when everybody outside the rich are cutting back or at least taking a harder look at what they spend their money on is quite stupid IMO.

Zac Goyette
11-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, that IS the purpose of it. I'm not saying it was a bad idea to switch or anything, just that the actual questions and content of Joe Fridays is now quite boring. I dont need to want to hear Joe Quesada try to sell me something, 99.9% of the books on the market I already know if I want to buy or not based on my personal tastes and the creators and content involved. Joe Quesada telling me to go buy Black Panther when it relaunches, doesnt make me want to buy the book anymore than before for the simple purpose Reggie Hudlin is still attached.

I have no interest in reading company hype, if I am gonna take the time to read a Joe Quesada interview I want him to be called on when Marvel makes a mistake. I would consider the pricing vs. content of some recent Marvel books has been something Quesada should be called out on and have to defend/explain why fans are paying $4 for a 16 page story and a script or for a stand length story with some lame, boring handbook entry in the back to jack up the price for no reason.

The last thing comics should be doing in these economic times is making people think of the PRICE of comics. I love comics, I buy a shit ton of them, but in terms of entertainment value for your dollar they can be pretty low on the list. Making people think about the actual cost of a comic when everybody outside the rich are cutting back or at least taking a harder look at what they spend their money on is quite stupid IMO.

Fair enough. I like going on there to get teases about upcoming projects. Don't get me wrong, I also feel that Ghost Boxes was way over priced for the amount of content that we got. I know that I am going to get a hardnosed interview, but that isn't what I was looking for there. Personally, I was not upset to see him move the Q & A from Newsarama. I like the website and I think the stories they put out are good, but I thought that a lot of the board members over there were overly hostile and unexcusably rude.

SpecialK
11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Uh, so everyone will have to buy both? If your job was to make money for Marvel, what would you have done?
And I don't wanna hear any self-righteous crap! :D

Obviously I would do 4 issues, 1 for each story. They could make a total of $12 instead of 8!

thefreakytiki
11-03-2008, 03:21 PM
This was a bad decision. The price vs. content ration leaves me very uncomfortable.

the Tiki http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/tiki_torches.gif

copypastepuke
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
is there more in those 18 pages than most 22 page comic books?

lonesomefool
11-03-2008, 03:34 PM

The Granov story has awesome art, and it's a solidly paced story, but at the end of the day it's still 16 pages of story and art for $4. I consider that a bit of a rip-off.

That said, I paid $1.79 for the issue through DCBS, so I shouldnt complain too much.

Master Jack Rabbitt
11-03-2008, 03:41 PM

I would say there wasn't.

Howlett
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
The Granov story has awesome art, and it's a solidly paced story, but at the end of the day it's still 16 pages of story and art for $4. I consider that a bit of a rip-off.

That said, I paid $1.79 for the issue through DCBS, so I shouldnt complain too much.

Dude, I read the book for FREE and I still felt ripped off.

Master Jack Rabbitt
11-03-2008, 03:43 PM

Wasn't it 2.39 through DCBS? Or at the very least, 1.99 or 0.99? I'm not sure I've ever seen a 3.99 book for 1.79...

Criden
11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Wasn't it 2.39 through DCBS? Or at the very least, 1.99 or 0.99? I'm not sure I've ever seen a 3.99 book for 1.79...

Some are. Special discounts and the like?

Master Jack Rabbitt
11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Some are. Special discounts and the like?

I suppose it's possible. That would be a 55% discount, I think. Not sure I've seen that on a 3.99 marvel book.

lonesomefool
11-03-2008, 04:25 PM

I dont know, my order form said $1.79 since it was one of the "spotlight" books. I think the next issue is $2.39 for me though.

iGotKittyPryde
11-03-2008, 04:42 PM

I agree with every word of this.

This was a bad week for WTF! books. McFarlane written Spawn was impenetrable for me, Wolverine: First Class was oddly bad for a series I generally really like... I seem to recall one more book I couldn't quite make it all the way through.

Though, there is something to be said for Astonishing being worse than Spawn for me, because Spawn I was jumping on with very limited prior knowledge (and was nearly worth the money for the sheer ridiculousness of the 'previously in' page) but Astonishing? Not only have I bought every prior issue of the series but probably something along the lines of 80% of the X-Men line for the last 3 years. And it was still completely impenetrable.

Ugh.

Howlett
11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I actually went into greater detail on my thoughts on the book in the Bought/ Thought thread, ignoring the ripoff factor of the book.

Spoilers for those who haven't read it yet.

For my review, I'm going to ignore that this thing was one of the biggest ripoff's I've ever had the displeasure of seeing, and review this title on the merits of the stories we got.

First story could've been good, and might turn out to be so when we eventually get to the end of the story. But, we're not AT the end, we're where we are, and based on this fact, this story was terrible. This story was about whatever the fuck his name is fighting the, and I quote, "616 X-Men" and beating them in truly spectacular fashion, and then moving on to basically destroying the world. Funny thing though. I read his fight against the 616 X-Men a few issues ago, and wouldn't you know it? None of that happened. At all. In any way, shape or form. So, from a story stand point, I'm annoyed already. Let's move on to the next story.

Story two. The X-Men of some Victorian style world doing pretty much exactly the same thing as the 616 X-Men did in Ellis's first issue. Only this time, Victorianally, and with more fucking up and resulting in many human deaths (thus becoming, hated and feared in their world now) and because of this "Decimation" having steam punk Sentinals placing them under house arrest.

Oh yeah, for $4, this book was a MUST have. Clearly. Oh, and to cap that all off, for those of you who haven't read it. All that up there? 18 pages. That's only half the book. The other half? A page showing how the cover was done and the rest was the script that you JUST read, but without the pretty pictures.

Humphrey_Lee
11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I went ahead and shot my mouth off: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38986

Yeah, I probably care about this too much...

danlomb
11-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Still haven't decided whether I should pick it up or not...

NickT
11-06-2008, 08:50 AM
One one hand, I enjoyed the comic and found it good value for money. The scripts were interesting, I really liked the Granov story.

BUT

This is the solicitation:

THE STORY:
You met Subject X in the pages of Astonishing X-Men! But what was he really doing and who he was doing it for? Find out in this essential 2-issue tie-in series to Warren Ellis and Simone Bianchiís opening salvo on Astonishing X-Men! Ghost Boxes is about the choices that man made and could have made, and the ripples they cause. Ghost Boxes is about the real stakes of the Ghost Box storyline, and what will happen if the X-Men fail to solve the mystery.
Rated T+ Ö$3.99
Firstly I don't see how it is in any way essential, it makes it sound like it's an important part of the story or something. Secondly it doesn't even mention that you get a bunch of other stuff in it that isn't comic.

The problem to me isn't the comic, it's that people weren't told what they were getting.

Jason California
12-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Issue 2 was soooooooooooooooo much better.

Cactusakic
12-14-2008, 12:35 PM

You really thought so?

I would have said it was pretty much the same as the first one.
I really dug the Cyke story, the Armor/Beast/Wolverine was okay.

NickT
12-14-2008, 01:20 PM
While I preferred the first, mainly for the Granov story :)

Jason California
12-14-2008, 01:23 PM
You really thought so?

I would have said it was pretty much the same as the first one.
I really dug the Cyke story, the Armor/Beast/Wolverine was okay.

I still have not finished reading the first issue. I completed the second one. I can see this becoming the preferred method of telling What If stories.

Cactusakic
12-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I still have not finished reading the first issue. I completed the second one. I can see this becoming the preferred method of telling What If stories.

Understandable. It is quite a weighty tome, after all.
:lol:

Jason California
12-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Understandable. It is quite a weighty tome, after all.
:lol:

And really that makes it so much worse that I can;t even fiinish 12 pages.

Cactusakic
12-14-2008, 01:30 PM
And really that makes it so much worse that I can;t even fiinish 12 pages.

Yup.

Jerome Gibbons
12-14-2008, 01:45 PM
#2 was definitely better than #1. Both stories worked really well.

12-14-2008, 02:40 PM

I thought the stories in 2 were a wee bit better, which is still great because the first two were great, these were just-- slightly greater. But I do think the art in the first issue's stories' were a bit bit better, and really, the art in all 4 stories were great. Both issues were fantastic, and the scripts for this issue were just such a treat to be able read. I know people are bitching about the price, but man, I got more out of this issue then I do from any 22 page regular. 2 fantastic stories, with 2 stellar artists, and 2 fun and insightful scripts. If I had to, I would have paid 5 bucks for this issue, probably 6.

SpecialK
12-14-2008, 02:45 PM
If I had to, I would have paid 5 bucks for this issue, probably 6.

Shhh! Do you want them to hear you?!?!

Also, what's the deal with the picture in your sig?

Howlett
12-14-2008, 02:48 PM
I had to, I would have paid 5 bucks for this issue, probably 6.

*slaps Johnny*

Jesus wept man, watch what you fucking say! :scared:

The eyes of the industry are everywhere! :Panic:

12-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Shhh! Do you want them to hear you?!?!

Also, what's the deal with the picture in your sig?

1- Eh, they're special issues, with artists that can't be on a regular monthly, and with scripts, it's not like it's a regular monthly book, so I don't have a problem with the price.

2- Just something a made using some Dark Reign covers, thought it looked neat.

Supreme Convoy
12-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm telling myself to wait for a half off sale... but it's tempting to get for completeness sake.

Must. Resist.

Fake Pat
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
#2 was fucking brilliant.

BUY IT.

Master Jack Rabbitt
12-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Read through issue 2 at the store this week. No way was this worth $4, imo.

12-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Honestly, if they put 1 and 2 in a hardcover, with some pages of the art processes, I'd get it in a heartbeat, I'd pay up to 20 for it.

DaveCummings
12-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Issue 2 made me really wish that Kaare Andrews would do a hell of alot more sequential work.

dEnny!
12-14-2008, 06:07 PM

Don't get me started on this and Ellis' scripting of Astonishing X-Men.

I'd read the scripts from his far superior works. I am underwhelmed by his subpar AXM run at this point; though Bianchi's art is beautiful.

12-14-2008, 06:09 PM

I'd read the scripts from his far superior works. I am underwhelmed by his subpar AXM run at this point; though Bianchi's art is beautiful.

I'm the opposite, in that I'm loving the writing, but while Bianchi is talented, I'm not feeling his art on this book.

Fake Pat
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Issue 2 made me really wish that Kaare Andrews would do a hell of alot more sequential work.

Good GOD, yes.

lonesomefool
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm the opposite, in that I'm loving the writing, but while Bianchi is talented, I'm not feeling his art on this book.

I have the same problem with all of Bianchi's work to date.

It looks like someone spilled ink all over the pages and then it got printed.

The guy's pencils are really nice, but man, the inking or coloring just ruins most of his work for me.

Jason California
12-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I wish Bianchi would go back to DC. I liked his stuff there.

Jerome Gibbons
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM

I am somewhat torn on Ellis' AXM. I think the dialogue and pacing have been a bit sluggish and unpolished, but I really, really like some of the concepts he's throwing out there. The Chaparanga beach thing, Tian, Ghost Boxes, the Chinese X-Men, his explanations of the X-gene and mutants from other universes, etc. It's all very nice, hard-ish sci-fi, I think. It's just the execution that's been lacking some.

Jason California
12-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I am somewhat torn on Ellis' AXM. I think the dialogue and pacing have been a bit sluggish and unpolished, but I really, really like some of the concepts he's throwing out there. The Chaparanga beach thing, Tian, Ghost Boxes, the Chinese X-Men, his explanations of the X-gene and mutants from other universes, etc. It's all very nice, hard-ish sci-fi, I think. It's just the execution that's been lacking some.

This post mirrors my thoughts.

Master Jack Rabbitt
12-14-2008, 07:35 PM

This post mirrors my thoughts.

Dittos