PDA

View Full Version : Some random music/internet questions!

iGotKittyPryde
10-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey!

So I was going about my business today when suddenly the fact that I have no full David Bowie records on my iPod started to bother me. I have ChangesBowie, one of his Best Ofs but I really ought to have at least 1-2 of the better records too...

And so...

Question #1:

Which David Bowie record should I buy?

As a primer: my favorite Bowie songs are Young Americans, Changes, Modern Love.

Moving on...

Having decided I couldn't figure out on my own what Bowie to buy I moved on to another band I ought to have more from: The Smiths.

So I went to the iTunes store and was going to buy something from them. But then I remembered why I don't have more from them: they don't seem to be on iTunes.

Question #2: And I got to thinking: Is there any other download services for mp3s other than iTunes, eMusic and Amazon that aren't particularly expensive, legitimate and are iPod compatable?

And finally:

Question #3: I tried using Amazon a while back and it told me I had to disable all my firewalls and such to do so. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but perhaps my non-computer savvy is getting in the way here.

Thanks!

deadboy
10-18-2008, 01:35 PM
I can really only speak to the Bowie question.

#1 Hunky Dory
#2 Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
#3 Diamond Dogs

Best Old Bowie Song: Cygnet Committe off of Space Oddity

And you SHOULD be able to dl music from Amazon or itunes or whatever leaving your firewalls and what not up. It's just easier to tell you to take them down so if there's an issue they don't have to go thru telling you to turn them off when you call and ask why it's not working.

Masculine Todd
10-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey!

So I was going about my business today when suddenly the fact that I have no full David Bowie records on my iPod started to bother me. I have ChangesBowie, one of his Best Ofs but I really ought to have at least 1-2 of the better records too...

And so...

Question #1:

Which David Bowie record should I buy?

As a primer: my favorite Bowie songs are Young Americans, Changes, Modern Love.

Moving on...

Having decided I couldn't figure out on my own what Bowie to buy I moved on to another band I ought to have more from: The Smiths.

So I went to the iTunes store and was going to buy something from them. But then I remembered why I don't have more from them: they don't seem to be on iTunes.

Question #2: And I got to thinking: Is there any other download services for mp3s other than iTunes, eMusic and Amazon that aren't particularly expensive, legitimate and are iPod compatable?

And finally:

Question #3: I tried using Amazon a while back and it told me I had to disable all my firewalls and such to do so. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but perhaps my non-computer savvy is getting in the way here.

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing while listening to Hissing Fauna (very Glam Rock inspired) and reading Pitchfork's 100 Best Releases of the '70s (a Bowie album topped it) a few days back. Thanks for posting this, Ryan. I too am interested in the results.

iGotKittyPryde
10-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing while listening to Hissing Fauna and reading Pitchfork's 100 Best Releases of the '70s a few days back. Thanks for posting this, Ryan. I too am interested in the results.

I oddly, while reading this... was listening to Hissing Fuana. Weird.

But yeah, perhaps I should have made 2 threads because I think a 'Bowie' flavored thread title might have actually gotten a response, whereas the more vague thread title seems not to have. Oh well.

iGotKittyPryde
10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I can really only speak to the Bowie question.

#1 Hunky Dory
#2 Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
#3 Diamond Dogs

Hmm... thanks for the feedback.

Those seem like 3 of the more popular ones, certainly.

I just downloaded 'Station to Station' if just because... uh, I don't know really. It was a bit cheaper than the others, because of the lack of songs and it seemed a bit nicely esoteric.

And I did it with Amazon too! So clearly I was just not doing something right before with it.

I might pick up another one, though. I was thinking either Diamond Dogs or Low. I'm not entirely sure why.

changingshades
10-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Anything before the album Modern Love is solid Bowie.

I'd recommend the Berlin Trilogy he did with Brian Eno, Low, Heroes and Lodger. And you have to get Ziggy Stardust. Even people that don't like Bowie like Ziggy.

iGotKittyPryde
10-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Anything before the album Modern Love is solid Bowie.

I'd recommend the Berlin Trilogy he did with Brian Eno, Low, Heroes and Lodger. And you have to get Ziggy Stardust. Even people that don't like Bowie like Ziggy.

So... I'm downloading Low now. I already grabbed 'Station to Station' and it's pretty great. TV 15 is awesome...

And in listening to the best of at work just now... as I was distracted from typing this, a sort of kind of friend of mine walked in as I was playing Changes, said she loved this album, I said it was just a best of and she said I needed Hunky Dory... and went out to her car and gave me a burned CD of hers.

Weird! But totally welcome. I have a ton of Bowie to sort through. It's almost as good a problem as last week when I impulse bought 3 Tom Waits albums and have been listening to them since.

And I totally bought 'New Order: The Singles' off Amazon for 8 bucks. And so I've spent like 35 dollars and in adding in the illegally downloaded Smiths records (because c'mon the guys ought to have this stuff online. I'd pay for it that way! I don't want CDs! Other rationalizations!) I have a good 9 new albums.

I think that seems fair.

HoldFastNow
10-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Oddly enough, I only have ChangesBowie too (picked it up at a pawn shop for .50 back in high school). I'm interested in what people have to say about his discography now as well