PDA

View Full Version : The Office - "Baby Shower" - 10/16/2008

Drkemerld73
10-17-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm shocked. Shocked, there isn't already a thread about this episode!

There were so many great lines in this episode that had me laughing:

Dwight: "I performed my own circumcision." :lol:

Michael: "Where's my golden shower?" :lol:

Creed: "Must have looked like the tide at Omaha Beach." :rofl:

The end with Jim and Pam tore me up a little. It was both sad and sweet and the same time.

What did everyone else think?

Ben
10-17-2008, 07:39 AM
This season has been very funny! They've stayed in the office every episode, which I think results in a much better, funnier show! Yay!

THWIP!
10-17-2008, 07:40 AM
I fucking hate Jan. Michael shows her nothing but love and she doesn't give him any respect whatsoever. I'm glad he asked out Holly but we all know that won't last because she's only has a couple of episodes left.

Generic Poster
I was glad Michael didn't listen to Jan.

Deej
I was going to create one with the thread titles "Where's My Golden Shower???" but then was afraid of the responses.

Another really good episode...I loved seeing Michael eat a piece of the watermelon that Dwight just gave birth to, and seeing Dwight pulling up his pants right behind him.

Also, the whole Dwight testing the strength of a $1200 stroller was awesome!!

Jan singing gave me all sorts of douche chills.

And that was a nice sweet moment from Michael at the end. I love the episodes in which they show that Michael isn't a complete idiot.

Patton
10-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah it was a great episode. Michael redeemed himself for me a bit after being a giant dick to Holly last week.

This new writer is really good. He went to a few jokes that the other Office writers might not have went to.

Artie Pink
10-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Hated it!

Blake Sims
10-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Great episode. Jan singing "Son of a Preacher Man" was hilarious.

Drkemerld73
10-17-2008, 07:47 AM
I was going to create one with the thread titles "Where's My Golden Shower???" but then was afraid of the responses.

:lol:

You would have every right to be afraid.

Also, the whole Dwight testing the strength of a $1200 stroller was awesome!!

That did crack me up with everything he put it through. "I like to call this, the bumper test" :lol: I liked how he ended up putting it into the back of Jan's car. I wanted to see if it really did hold up or was eventually destroyed by Dwight.

And that was a nice sweet moment from Michael at the end. I love the episodes in which they show that Michael isn't a complete idiot.

That moment was touching. Really well done between the two of them.

Magnum V.I.
10-17-2008, 07:47 AM
"I like to call this, the bumper test."

I thought the Jim/Pam ending was kind of nice, every couple has off days.

Sy-Klone
10-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Liked it okay, but I didn't love it.

Some great lines. The stuff with Michael and Holly was great (and I really really really hope Amy Ryan sticks around somehow or comes back next Spring). I think the opening was a little over the top and I think the Jim/Pam stuff feels a little forced. I also think we're focusing on relationships more, and I'm not necessarily crazy about that. It's like they're all pairing off and that's the focus of the show now. I expect Creed and Meredith will be starting up a relationship this season, too.

Ben
10-17-2008, 07:50 AM

Some great lines. The stuff with Michael and Holly was great (and I really really really hope Amy Ryan sticks around somehow or comes back next Spring). I think the opening was a little over the top and I think the Jim/Pam stuff feels a little forced. I also think we're focusing on relationships more, and I'm not necessarily crazy about that. It's like they're all pairing off and that's the focus of the show now. I expect Creed and Meredith will be starting up a relationship this season, too.That's the trap most modern American sitcoms about young, single people falls into. It's sad.

Magnum V.I.
10-17-2008, 07:50 AM

Some great lines. The stuff with Michael and Holly was great (and I really really really hope Amy Ryan sticks around somehow or comes back next Spring). I think the opening was a little over the top and I think the Jim/Pam stuff feels a little forced. I also think we're focusing on relationships more, and I'm not necessarily crazy about that. It's like they're all pairing off and that's the focus of the show now. I expect Creed and Meredith will be starting up a relationship this season, too.

Well, he probably won't be around.

Jim.
10-17-2008, 08:06 AM
I love how the show keeps tricking us into believing that Jim and Pam are on the verge of a huge fight, and then by the end everything is better. I always fucking fall for it, and I like it.

Deej
10-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah it was a great episode. Michael redeemed himself for me a bit after being a giant dick to Holly last week.

This new writer is really good. He went to a few jokes that the other Office writers might not have went to.

But he said she smells like Tomatoes and dirt!! :)

Boris the Blade
10-17-2008, 08:17 AM
I thought it was a pretty decent episode, not as all-out funny as last weeks.

I guess I'm in the minority, I thought the Jim/Pam thing at the end was really, really cheesy.

Artie Pink
10-17-2008, 08:26 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, I thought the Jim/Pam thing at the end was really, really cheesy.

No, I agree.

I really thought the whole show was underwritten. All the screaming and yelling during the baby shower drill? That's not comedy writing, that's lowest common denominator. Along with "Ass Turd". Come the fuck on.

Dwight smashing the carriage? That might work on The Office: The Animated Series.

And no one wanted Holly to get an apology from Michael or stand up for herself?

I thought we liked this show because it was clever.

Patton
10-17-2008, 08:30 AM
But he said she smells like Tomatoes and dirt!! :)

But last week he threw her tomatoes IN the dirt!

This week he told her before hand he was gonna act like that. She knew it was all an act. Last week he was an actual ass. It's funny when he's an ass to Toby but not Holly.

FredC
10-17-2008, 08:35 AM
This episode had its moments. But I wasn't big on it overall.

And yeah, the beginning with Dwight acting pregnant was a little too out there for my tastes.

CapnChaos
10-17-2008, 08:41 AM
The show better figure out some way to get Holly to stick around, because right now, she's my second favorite character behind everyone's favorite Schrute.

No, not Mose.

Anyway, good episode with a great ending. I found myself cheering for Michael at the end when he looked like he was finally just saying "Screw you" (albeit not directly) to Jan and realizing that being a dad isn't the end-all be-all that means he should put up with anything.

Boy do I feel sorry for Astrid, though.

Buk Was Right
10-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Dwight was almost entirely wasted in this episode.

The fake pregnancy wasn't funny or clever... it was just loud.

The stroller stress test just wasn't funny.

As per usual Darryl was one of the better parts of the episode.

CapnChaos
10-17-2008, 08:44 AM
And no one wanted Holly to get an apology from Michael or stand up for herself?

I thought the hug afterwards was pretty much a wordless apology.

Buk Was Right
10-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Also, I'm really hoping for the return of Jan's assistant Hunter as Jan's new nanny.

Captain Sensation
10-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I missed the first part of the episode so im not sure how i feel about the episode overall. I did like the scene where Michael asked Holly out though. The scene with Pam and Jim felt awkward as hell and i guess that was because i missed some stuff. I hope everyone doesnt pair up, as i prefer that some of the characters remain single (Ryan, Creed, Toby).

Artie Pink
10-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I thought the hug afterwards was pretty much a wordless apology.

Try that with a real chick sometime! :lol:

Noah0z
10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Perfect mix of funny and serious.

Dwight pulling the stroller behind his car was hilarious.

HOOKS
10-17-2008, 09:55 AM
I fucking hate Jan. Michael shows her nothing but love and she doesn't give him any respect whatsoever. I'm glad he asked out Holly but we all know that won't last because she's only has a couple of episodes left.

...I didn't know that. :-?

Deej
10-17-2008, 10:01 AM
But last week he threw her tomatoes IN the dirt!

This week he told her before hand he was gonna act like that. She knew it was all an act. Last week he was an actual ass. It's funny when he's an ass to Toby but not Holly.

That's cause she was threatening to break up his family!!

BTW - was the first episode of The Office where Michael has to choose between Creed and another guy of who to fire?

Albert
10-17-2008, 10:04 AM

A couple of episodes left FOR NOW.

Not that I know for sure that she'll be back, but I think it's at least possible.

FredC
10-17-2008, 10:06 AM
That's cause she was threatening to break up his family!!

BTW - was the first episode of The Office where Michael has to choose between Creed and another guy of who to fire?

Nope.

That was a season 2 halloween special, wasn't it?

I don't even remember who got fired, heh.

Foolish Mortal
10-17-2008, 10:33 AM
:lol:

Nah, Michael's an idiot. But at his core he wants to do right thing. He just doesn't have a good way of expressing that.

Boy do I feel sorry for Astrid, though.
As do I. Jan is a crazy bitch. She really is.

Deej
10-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Nope.

That was a season 2 halloween special, wasn't it?

I don't even remember who got fired, heh.

That was going to be my follow-up question...who was actually fired.

CapnChaos
10-17-2008, 10:54 AM
That was going to be my follow-up question...who was actually fired.
Devon. I think he only was mentioned by name in The Dundies episode before that.

Chinaski
10-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Devon. I think he only was mentioned by name in The Dundies episode before that.

I think hes the same actor who plays Dennis - aka the last beeper salesman in New York - on 30 Rock.

Deej
10-17-2008, 11:27 AM
I think hes the same actor who plays Dennis - aka the last beeper salesman in New York - on 30 Rock.

Dean Winters?? I think I would remember if he was on the show.

LenNWallace
10-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I really thought I would end up hating this episode. At one point it just got a little too awkward and uncomfortable all around for even The Office's own good... Then at the end, Michael finally grew a pair and that kind of made up for it.

Blake Sims
10-17-2008, 11:35 AM
I didn't dig the Dwight stuff all that much. The Jim and Pam stuff was okay. The funniest story was with Michael and the rest of the baby shower.

Buk Was Right
10-17-2008, 12:01 PM

You mean the Subway Hero?

When I say SUBWAY you say HERO!

Patrick King
10-17-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm watching it right now, I just got to the part where Angela and Andy are doing an Anne Geddes style picture of the baby, and I gotta say that is some seriously weird, awkward stuff right there.

And I have to agree that Jan is a world class BITCH.

BENDIS!
10-17-2008, 12:23 PM
best episode in about a year.

Patrick King
10-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I think he was in one or two scenes in the entire episode.

SteveZegers
10-17-2008, 12:50 PM
I, like Jim, miss having Pam around.

Daniel K.
10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Best episode since "Dinner Party". I really enjoy that Michael and Holly are going to start dating, and that scene with Jim and Pam at the end was great. I also love that Jan asks Michael not to date Holly not because she's seen them acting happy together or anything, but because she recognizes that Holly has Michael's sense of humor and they could conceivably be happy together. It really highlights how much of a bitch she is, because if she can't be happy, then no one will be.

CougarTrace
10-17-2008, 04:13 PM
another great,awkward episode.

But Pam is missed on the show.

batmanbooyah
10-17-2008, 04:42 PM
i couldn't stop laughing when michael was eating the baby!

Uther
10-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I love how the show keeps tricking us into believing that Jim and Pam are on the verge of a huge fight, and then by the end everything is better. I always fucking fall for it, and I like it.

But, when it comes, and it will, it's gonna blow the show apart.
I can't wait.

He also returned in a deleted scene in the Valentine's Day episode in New York.

i couldn't stop laughing when michael was eating the baby!

Michael was eating the baby? When?
Did The Office just become Sarah Kane's Blasted?

Ultimate Lurker
10-17-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm watching it right now, I just got to the part where Angela and Andy are doing an Anne Geddes style picture of the baby, and I gotta say that is some seriously weird, awkward stuff right there.

My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it. I think Pam is going to miss home too much and drop out before too long.

Patton
10-17-2008, 06:18 PM
My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it. I think Pam is going to miss home too much and drop out before too long.

I think she's almost done with her "session." Couple more episodes probably. She'll make it back just in time for sweeps.

FedEx Fanboy
10-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I thought this episode was pretty mediocre... Especially after the previous week's excellent showing.

natesutton
10-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey there first post.

I have to say i really enjoyed the epsiode, i can understand some of the complaints, but i bet you they left alot of the just funny stuff on the cutting room floor, to get some major plot points out there. They squeezed alot of forward momentum for some of the characters into 22 minutes, thats a tough thing to do. I think now that these writers arnt hindered by an impending strike, or coming back from a long strike that they are right about to hit their stride again.

Really enjoying this season thus far, and i think its gonna be a good one.

woljed
10-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Good episode.

Best scene was Michael hugging...I forgot her name but her eyes and expression was so nice. I really like her being on the show. :D

batroc the leaper
10-17-2008, 09:21 PM
i really dug the episode, but did anyone else find it sad?
i have never been so sad during the office.

BAMF
10-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Wow, surprised with the overall reaction. I thought this episode was really great. Astird...the golden shower...Dwight circumsizing himself..."I'm quote white quote unquote"..."babybaby"...Pam saying "all up in her face"...Angela putting the kid in a freakin' horn of plenty. So much funny.

Happy Time Harry
10-18-2008, 08:25 AM
It had its moments, but I thought it was the weakest ep of the season so far. Some funny, but the Dwight stuff really reminded me of the episode where he was testing the structural integrity of the house during the party at the CFO's house.

And Batroc's right. It was kind of sad.

(akaRyanHoffman)
10-18-2008, 08:32 AM
I think the little voice-over montage with Michael holding all the babies is the biggest laugh I've had this season.

Jan singing made me laugh too but I had to cover my eyes and look away at times .

and I don't know why, but the two second reaction shot from Andy towards Angela's baby picture got a big guffaw out of me.