PDA

View Full Version : The Official SECRET INVASION #7 Thread (Spoilers)

Baltrius2099
10-10-2008, 03:38 AM
Regular cover:
http://i38.tinypic.com/200r1ia.jpg

Yu variant:
http://i36.tinypic.com/15d2qeq.jpg

So Uatu is making an appearance, uh... Maybe a "Oh the skrullanity!"?

I don't know if anyone read the latest Deadpool and Ms. Marvel but it seems like Osborn will be calling the shots after SI - his own Dark Reign, and maybe he will be the one to kill Veranke.

What I can't wait to find out is how Wasp will turn the tide and how will Marvel Boy act...

Spidey616
10-10-2008, 04:40 AM
Looks like Uatu is feeling a little blue ;)

Baltrius2099
10-10-2008, 05:26 AM
:D

I wonder what is role will be. Better than in Hulk I'm sure...

SpecialK
10-10-2008, 05:28 AM
:D

I wonder what is role will be. Better than in Hulk I'm sure...

Just there to watch, duh. ;-)

Baltrius2099
10-10-2008, 05:34 AM
He's got to make a one-liner. At least a one-liner.

Criden
10-10-2008, 05:40 AM
He's got to make a one-liner. At least a one-liner.

"Shit, who was Spider-Man, really, again? I just can't recall...I knew I knew though...."

PeteL
10-10-2008, 05:40 AM
When is this book set for release?

Criden
10-10-2008, 05:41 AM
When is this book set for release?

October 22nd.

Ashwin Pande
10-10-2008, 05:43 AM
love the John Woo moment going on in that regular cover.

SidekicksRevenge
10-10-2008, 06:32 AM
http://i36.tinypic.com/15d2qeq.jpg

That may be the most bad ass Spidey image in...well...ever.

THWIP!
10-10-2008, 06:38 AM
There a preview or do we have nothing?

tonym
10-10-2008, 06:43 AM
that yu cover is gorgeous

Baltrius2099
10-13-2008, 04:10 AM
No previews for now...

Yu is really doing one hell of a job. I loved his work on NA but this? Damn!

danlomb
10-13-2008, 04:46 AM
Yu really crapped all over all the naysayers who thought he couldn't handle / do well on this event.

Not only has each issue been brilliant - with stunning colouring and inking - but also they've been on time.

Baltrius2099
10-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Next week! Yay!

I don't know if you guys read MA #19 but in the end you get a look at the cover of #20 and by the look of it seems like Wasp or NAtasha dies. Probably Wasp because of the secret skrull weapon Veranke mentioned...

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-17-2008, 04:58 AM
Next week! Yay!

I don't know if you guys read MA #19 but in the end you get a look at the cover of #20 and by the look of it seems like Wasp or NAtasha dies. Probably Wasp because of the secret skrull weapon Veranke mentioned...

You know, I look at that cover and it really seems like there is something missing that we are not seeing. Its a cool cover, but I wonder if an image has been blocked as far as what the Avengers are reaching for.

xhondax
10-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Got the same feeling when I saw it this week.

You know, I look at that cover and it really seems like there is something missing that we are not seeing. Its a cool cover, but I wonder if an image has been blocked as far as what the Avengers are reaching for.

Baltrius2099
10-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow!!!

Criden
10-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Pretty awesome that we haven't seen any interiors yet. Love going in knowing nothing.

Ray G.
10-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Man, what do I read first tomorrow? My favorite title and three massive event books! This is going to be a crazy day!

I'll probably go USM/New Krypton/Secret Invasion/Final Crisis. But man, we haven't had a comic day like this in a loooooong time! :ecstatic:

Baltrius2099
10-21-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure every interior would spoil it. This is the penultim issue, if its like House of M then the big fight is all here...

Criden
10-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Man, what do I read first tomorrow? My favorite title and three massive event books! This is going to be a crazy day!

I'll probably go USM/New Krypton/Secret Invasion/Final Crisis. But man, we haven't had a comic day like this in a loooooong time! :ecstatic:

Amen, dude.

I'm pretty sure every interior would spoil it. This is the penultim issue, if its like House of M then the big fight is all here...

No, yeah, I totally agree--I was being 100% sincere.

Hoggie
10-21-2008, 12:02 PM
This issue should kick ass, well like the rest of them. I better go back and reread the first 6 to get prepared.

Maestro
10-21-2008, 12:30 PM
I want this to be over. I'm ready for Dark Reign, whatever that is

Brother Power the Gong
10-21-2008, 12:55 PM
I want this to be over. I'm ready for Dark Reign, whatever that is

http://www.dcsoundclash.com/exoticsavage/mccain08.jpg

:scared:

Foolish Mortal
10-21-2008, 02:11 PM

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :Panic:

copypastepuke
10-21-2008, 02:16 PM
that second cover is AWESOME

Hoggie
10-21-2008, 02:31 PM

its alive!

iGotKittyPryde
10-21-2008, 03:18 PM

I know, right?

For me, it's 3 event books, my TWO favorite on-goings (Captain America and Criminal) and about 5-6 of my favorite titles.

I'll probably be something like...

Secret Invasion/something to cleanse the palate (Hulk? USM? SI: ASM?)/New Krypton/Captain America/Daredevil/Final Crisis and then later Criminal as last on the pile (as it generally is, as I like to have something to look forward to)

It makes the three event books have some room between them, and is pretty much all really good titles.

But while I'm excited for Final Crisis, Secret Invasion is still the book I'm reading first, by a pretty solid amount.

I have 18 on my iFanboy pull and it's a pretty astonishingly fun looking list. I'm pretty psyched for tomorrow to roll around.

DaveCummings
10-21-2008, 07:23 PM

I'm sorry, but when I saw that picture, I kept on thinking of McCain as a zombie, so I had to throw together this sloppy ass photoshop;

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/Davejcummings/McCainzombie.jpg

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-21-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm putting this out there tonight, but wait until you read the issue tomorrow to look. I don't want to taint the experience and cause people to look for things that aren't there. But, my gut feeling is this:

Osborn. I keep going back to this scene over and over. (http://comics.ign.com/dor/objects/962808/secret-invasion/images/secret-invasion-20080815034038925.html?page=mediaFull) How does he make such an incredible leap of logic? It starts off generic "hey, man I can see you don't really wanna do this." and quickly becomes super specific "Mar-vell? Did you pick that or did the Skrulls do it for ya? No? I hear ya, times are hard all over." Nobody had even mentioned Skrulls other than Osborn himself. And he sounds like he can relate, a little too much. You see where I'm going with this. We've seen how the deep cover Skrulls believe they are who they are. And we've also seen Spider-woman and Pym come in and out of it. Just like there were problems with the mind of Pym, I could see there being problems with the mind of Norman Osborn (who would have been activated and put out there much earlier than any other Skrulls that we know of). Problems to where he would of course be unable to not run games on Spider-man and keep the crazy straight in his head, but would also perhaps create his own agenda that doesn't have room for Veranke's Skrull invasion in it. I can practically see Osborn winking at the reader now.

This is my new "Doctor Strange theory!" :)

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-22-2008, 08:37 AM
God bless Gabrielle Dell'Otto, Brian Bendis, Leinil Yu, Mark Morales, and Laura Martin.

That was excellent. Art, words, color, all firing on all cylinders.

And I have absolutely no idea what could be in the last issue now.

Jef UK
10-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Some cool happenings. I don't know why Wolvie didn't deliver the killing blow to that superficial wound. I've seen piercings that looked more damaging. I kind of wish we saw how this larger group of heroes is more effective against this larger group of super skrulls, as opposed to how ineffective so many smaller groups of heroes were against smaller groups of super skrulls, having now discarded Fury's guerilla tactics, even.

Jess' handing over the child was chilling.

Why did the Emporess stay dressed as Spider-Woman again? Or is this another ruse?

Jim T.
10-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Awesome stuff. The Hawkeye scene gave me goosebumps.

The only thing that didn't ring true was Tony Stark bailing out to repair his armor. There may be more going on, but it felt like a plot device to get him out of range of whatever Wasp's going to do to everyone next issue.

nihilance
10-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Woof what a jumbled mess.

The pacing on this whole book has been off. To have most of the heroes run around in circles in the Savage land for multiple issues is a crime when we have an epic battle like this crammed into an issue with no room to breathe or at the very least be intelligible.

And as things happened in the issue it felt more like ticking off a bulletpointed list of things Bendis wanted to include in SI rather than any sort of natural progression of story...(Watcher Joke? check - Clint picking up the bow (again)? check - Luke and Jess reuniting? check)

And I still contend that Yu's art is seriously downgraded with this inker. Every time I see penciled pages for SI I am shocked by the disservice the actual inked and published pages do to him. What a fucking shame.

nihilance
10-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Even after it was already used before during the Savage Land confrontation a couple issues ago? Should have been one or the other (preferably this one)...doing it twice in the same mini is just pushing fanboy buttons to be pushing them.

Xander Boune
10-22-2008, 09:25 AM
I've been kind of mild on this series as a whole (especially with regards to some of the recent NA/MA filler issues), but I really enjoyed this issue. The Jessica/baby and Hawkeye scenes were terrific.

Jim T.
10-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Even after it was already used before during the Savage Land confrontation a couple issues ago? Should have been one or the other (preferably this one)...doing it twice in the same mini is just pushing fanboy buttons to be pushing them.

Sorry, I'll try harder not to enjoy the next issue I read.... :roll:

DaveCummings
10-22-2008, 09:47 AM

dude, look who you're talking about. He doesn't seem to like anything :D

nihilance
10-22-2008, 09:55 AM
dude, look who you're talking about. He doesn't seem to like anything :D

What total bullshit. I love lots of stuff (Invincible was particularly interesting this week)...and I even state in my post that I'm disappointed in what is being done to Yu's art so obviously I liked that prior to Morales inking him.

nihilance
10-22-2008, 09:56 AM

I was just asking.

DaveCummings
10-22-2008, 10:00 AM
What total bullshit. I love lots of stuff (Invincible was particularly interesting this week)...and I even state in my post that I'm disappointed in what is being done to Yu's art so obviously I liked that prior to Morales inking him.

Dude, I was just fucking with you. Did you not notice the smiley.

nihilance
10-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Dude, I was just fucking with you. Did you not notice the smiley.

Sorry...just don't like it when critical opinions are written off on here as people who just don't like anything.

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Woof what a jumbled mess.

The pacing on this whole book has been off. To have most of the heroes run around in circles in the Savage land for multiple issues is a crime when we have an epic battle like this crammed into an issue with no room to breathe or at the very least be intelligible.

And as things happened in the issue it felt more like ticking off a bulletpointed list of things Bendis wanted to include in SI rather than any sort of natural progression of story...(Watcher Joke? check - Clint picking up the bow (again)? check - Luke and Jess reuniting? check)

And I still contend that Yu's art is seriously downgraded with this inker. Every time I see penciled pages for SI I am shocked by the disservice the actual inked and published pages do to him. What a fucking shame.

Not sure what issue you read there, guy. Mine was pretty tasty.

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Sorry...just don't like it when critical opinions are written off on here as people who just don't like anything.

Some people genuinely don't like anything though. Or at they will only speak up when they don't like something, not when they do. That's real. Not saying that you are one of those people, but don't discount that is a very real phenomenon.

nihilance
10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Not sure what issue you read there, guy. Mine was pretty tasty.

Well everything taste good with Kool-aid. :wink:

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-22-2008, 11:33 AM

See you think you just did something, but in reality everything does taste good with Kook-aid. You see your mistake now. And I'm craving some Tropical Punch. Or Black Cherry....

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-22-2008, 11:35 AM

See you think you just did something, but in reality everything does taste good with Kook-aid. Ah, you see your mistake now. And I'm craving some Tropical Punch. Or Black Cherry....

Kirblar
10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I thought the baby was one of the earliest Skrull reveals?

Ryudo
10-22-2008, 12:22 PM
You know what? This is the most satisfying crossover I've read in years.

Eff the haters, that was one heck of an issue.

ValeriaK
10-22-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't want Janet to die :(

tonym
10-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I went through so many emotions while reading this issue! I loved it.

Great job everyone who worked on it.

Raphael J
10-22-2008, 01:21 PM
So did anyone get flashes of Secret War with that last page?

leafinsectman
10-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Leinil deserves a fat fucking raise, this was fucking spectacular! Heck, everyone who worked on it deserve a raise. I loved Norman Orborn, Bullseye's moment was awesome (but for fuck's sake, I thought Hank Pym was dead) and Uatu was cool too but by far the best moment in the book was "I'll take these" then BAM! Don't fuck with Hawkeye! I wonder how Wolverine will take it since he really wanted to take out the Queen. And who's gonna star in the Spider-Woman book? The real Jessica Drew? Where was Agent Brand? Fuck, I gotta re-read this again. HOLY SHIT! Issue 7 was gold! I love you Bendis!
By the way, did Wolverine fuck Spider-Woman? Why's he so mad?

augie680
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
LOVED this issue.

So much going on, lots of great character moments. I know they already did the Hawkeye bit, but to me it's moreso that Hawkeye turns the tide in the war, killing the Queen.

Loved the Marvel Boy scene, even if he didn't do much. As a Marvel geek I love this book and love how it's tying everything back together.

I think the pacing argument is definately valid and I understand it. It doesn't upset me as much as it does some people, but I get it.

On the flip side, but Yu's art has never looked better. The inks and especially the colours are gorgeous. The splash page with Uatu in the background is something I want on my wall ASAP.

Maestro
10-22-2008, 03:06 PM
I really wanted Veranke to live. She was such a great character. I thought for sure she would make it through.

Matthew Brown
10-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Howard the Duck!

SpecialK
10-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I love Skrull Galactus again, and how Baby Cage is pointing at Jarvis looking out the window.

Baltrius2099
10-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Barton taking the bow and takin aim. Blowing a bunch of skrulls and then the queen.

LEGENDARY!!! I've waited for this for so long... What a win, Bendis and Yu!

Ray G.
10-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Great issue. Epic and thrilling.

Hawkeye II had better be okay, though. :(

SuperStick
10-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Howard the Duck!

no no no... Howard the Duck... with a gun!

Albert
10-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Whoa, what an ending! I wasn't even sure what was going on, but that was awesome. And the Jarvis reveal which for some reason I didn't see coming.

Yu draws a great Uatu.

Michael John Wheeler
10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Whoa, what an ending! I wasn't even sure what was going on, but that was awesome. And the Jarvis reveal which for some reason I didn't see coming.

You didn't read the first issue?

Shawn_Kehoe
10-22-2008, 05:59 PM

You didn't like his post.

kissmyass_yran
10-22-2008, 06:00 PM
isnt there anywhere i can see pages of it?

Spidey616
10-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Ok one issue left, Sentry HAS to be in it by then.

LOVED #7, lot of great moments and action. Glad to see Jessica Jones is not a Skrull, unless joining the heroes was a ruse :scared:
Hope not. Though I can only hope Danielle Cage will be alright.

mec
10-22-2008, 06:31 PM
My favorite line -- the joy and sad irony of "Suddenly it's the best day of my life."

Albert
10-22-2008, 06:33 PM
You didn't read the first issue?

I did. Thus "for some reason."

nick maynard
10-22-2008, 06:34 PM
wow, i could not possibly disagree more. i logged on to the bendis board right now with the specific goal of telling everyone that i think this is the best art ever in a crossover book. and it's definitely the best lenil art i've ever seen. the best part is how he's reaching outside of his normal bag of tricks and using things like kirby dots and manga speed lines, etc. im loving it.

Great issue. Epic and thrilling.

Hawkeye II had better be okay, though. :(
hawkeye 2 is my least favorite part of any of these crossovers, to be honest. i love her character, but it always sucks me right out of the story to have her around in these epic battles. nothing about her being there makes sense. she would die in seconds.

its funny the things that i cant suspend disbelief for.

Ray G.
10-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Ok one issue left, Sentry HAS to be in it by then.

LOVED #7, lot of great moments and action. Glad to see Jessica Jones is not a Skrull, unless joining the heroes was a ruse :scared:
Hope not. Though I can only hope Danielle Cage will be alright.

Personally, I think it would be subversively brilliant if that was the last thing we ever saw of Sentry, him flying off into the atmosphere in a blind panic.

I mean, it's not like it would be out of character.

Ray G.
10-22-2008, 06:39 PM
hawkeye 2 is my least favorite part of any of these crossovers, to be honest. i love her character, but it always sucks me right out of the story to have her around in these epic battles. nothing about her being there makes sense. she would die in seconds.

its funny the things that i cant suspend disbelief for.

There's always that one. :lol:

Still, I really like her as a character and hope this doesn't take her out of action. It looked like her arm got blasted, which doesn't particularly bode well for her career as an archer. :(

Albert
10-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Clint picking up the bow and arrows was so awesome.

Jef UK
10-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Clint picking up the bow and arrows was so awesome.

With his toes, no less.

BENDIS!
10-22-2008, 06:56 PM
thanks everyone. i had a shit work day and this cheered me up.

and eff you nihilance :)

Adam Witt
10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
no no no... Howard the Duck... with a gun!

I wish it would've been Howard the gun...with a duck.

Pat Loika
10-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Piece of crap comic store didn't get any copies in.

Grr.

P.

Slewo.O
10-22-2008, 07:20 PM

The only thing that didn't ring true was Tony Stark bailing out to repair his armor. There may be more going on, but it felt like a plot device to get him out of range of whatever Wasp's going to do to everyone next issue.
it's also an excuse to make him look bad if you read thunderbolts.

And Bendis great issue I've been enjoying it a helluva lot kudos to you, leinil, mark, laura and everyone involved (except for Stephen Wacker I don't like him :p)

Big Poot!
10-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Freaking awesome!! Holy shit this rules!!!! (si #7)

Patton
10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Piece of crap comic store didn't get any copies in.

Grr.

P.

I can put mine in the mail tomorrow if you want.

It was a great issue that know one should have to wait for.

Patton
10-22-2008, 07:52 PM
So did anyone get flashes of Secret War with that last page?

I haven't read SW in a long time. What do you mean?

Dreg
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Hawkeye poaching Wolverine's kill was not cool. If they were playing Halo, he would have gotten ejected from the game.

;)

Nah, the whole issue was great. Probably the first time the battle felt truly epic in scope. My favorite part was Bullseye taking down the giant. It would have been more badass if he no-scoped him, though.

DWHodum
10-22-2008, 08:12 PM
This was probably the best giant fight I've ever seen and one of the best event books I've ever read.

Will
10-22-2008, 08:59 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with it, I mean Clint's specialty is shooting arrows isn't it?

Danger
10-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I haven't read SW in a long time. What do you mean?

I think he's referring to Lucia Von Something (the evil cyborg chick) going Akira-like to blow up all the gathered heroes fighting the tech villians. Daisy killed her with some small scale vibrations. Janet appears to be a human bomb that might just blow up the world. Me thinks it's her on the bottom of that Mighty Avengers cover.

On a side note, I hope we get a few more flashback stories featuring Wasp if she's about to die

Danger
10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Barton taking the bow and takin aim. Blowing a bunch of skrulls and then the queen.

LEGENDARY!!! I've waited for this for so long... What a win, Bendis and Yu!

Agreed. High-class, kick assery. It's like a book end to Avengers Disassembled with Clint killing a bunch of Wanda-created Kree before he died. Clint rocks!

SMACK!
10-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Brian,

Well done. The Hawkeye scene was fucking brilliant. How long have you been planning that?

I'm so stoked for issue 8

Ultimate Lurker
10-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Probably the first time the battle felt truly epic in scope.

Definitely. Most "epic battles" fall flat and never live up to it. This one just felt so huge and powerful.

Roger
10-23-2008, 04:26 AM
i didn;t get the end of issue 7.....

janet got all big......and huh?

what did i miss?

Slewo.O
10-23-2008, 04:40 AM
i didn;t get the end of issue 7.....

janet got all big......and huh?

what did i miss?

Mighty Avengers #8 skrull pym gave Janet a growth serum he also hacked it to make her his ace in the hole.

Roger
10-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Mighty Avengers #8 skrull pym gave Janet a growth serum he also hacked it to make her his ace in the hole.

but she looked all cosmic or something......what was that about?

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-23-2008, 05:05 AM
My friend said that the Jarvis from issue #1 that activated the virus probably never left Avengers Tower and the one on the helicarrier (that presumably got blown up there) was different. Does that sound right?

Also, unless they start finding out where prisoners are kept (assuming there are some and there is someone to ask who will know) then I don't yet see how to contain Jarvis. Maria Hill was the only witness left that saw what happened there.

Hope people read the new issue of Thunderbolts. It repeated some exact scenes which some people hate, but it did a lot of set up in other ways.

Evan the Shaggy
10-23-2008, 05:17 AM
Ares: "Good times"

I had a grin that went from ear to ear for this entire issue.

Ultimate Lurker
10-23-2008, 05:24 AM
but she looked all cosmic or something......what was that about?

Cliffhanger. Wait for 8.

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-23-2008, 05:28 AM
Ares: "Good times"

I had a grin that went from ear to ear for this entire issue.

What in the world are they going to do with all those alien bodies? Yeesh.

There was a storyline in the late Heroes for Hire series where villains where harvesting Skrull body parts to give themselves new powers. And those weren't Super Skrulls either. Too bad they did that then, because that might actually have legs now.

Roger
10-23-2008, 05:32 AM
Cliffhanger. Wait for 8.

oh
:(

:)

thecheat1
10-23-2008, 05:35 AM
On an emotional level, I really enjoyed this issue. Yu's art looked great and I'm amazed with some of those splash pages that he's been able to finish this book on time. There were some panels that were a little under rendered, some characters that were undistiguishable but, a darn fine job on the scenes that "count".

Bendis has done a great job overall. There have been some great character moments (Hawkeye/Skrull Queen, Cap/Iron Man/Thor working together again) and what a cliffhanger! Like Lord Retail, I have no idea how the series is going to end, But I cannot wait to find out. The story has been an emotional rollercoaster ride and kudos for Bendis.

My only gripe is that some story beats aren't coming through very clear. For example, I thought Skrull Jarvis was dead? Was this just another Skrull? What's been going on with Jess in Avengers mansion since Skrull Jarvis released the virus? Did she know what he did?

Also, the layouts gave the impression Bullseye killed Skull Yellowjacket yet, he was alive at the end of the issue...but, I guess stuff like that happens all the time in comics so, it's hard to fault that.

I'm still trying to figure out how Tony got his armor working at all because of the virus and whether he still has it. Also, is Criti Noll just the current Skrull Pym or a name of any skrull who takes his guise? How many skrull Pym's did they go through. Was the original killed of panel (the one the Mighty Avengers issue with JRJ had in it).

Sometimes the story does feel too big for the confines of the series (and even the tie-ins) so, things like this either get lost through the crack or are easily missed but, these are small gripes what has been a fantastic read. I look forward to reading through again after all is said and done.

Evan the Shaggy
10-23-2008, 05:35 AM
What in the world are they going to do with all those alien bodies? Yeesh.

There was a storyline in the late Heroes for Hire series where villains where harvesting Skrull body parts to give themselves new powers. And those weren't Super Skrulls either. Too bad they did that then, because that might actually have legs now.

Well they could do what the Skrull Kill Krew does and eat them. Mmmm Skrull Burgers.

nihilance
10-23-2008, 05:36 AM
thanks everyone. i had a shit work day and this cheered me up.

and eff you nihilance :)

:cry: I'm critical because I care.

Cth
10-23-2008, 05:38 AM
I love Skrull Galactus again, and how Baby Cage is pointing at Jarvis looking out the window.

The baby pointing is my only issue with the book. Unless the 4th wall stuff is a hint that Deadpool is really the dad, then no.. :D

Does this mean that the baby and Cages are clean and a lot of fuss was over nothing? Wouldn't be the first time I know.. ;)

nihilance
10-23-2008, 05:38 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with it, I mean Clint's specialty is shooting arrows isn't it?

I'll have to go back and reread the previous issues...but why didn't Clint still have the bow and arrows he picked up from the fake Hawkeye in the Savage Land?

I loved the moment (particularly taking out the 4 skrulls in one panel)...but felt it would have been much more effective if it had been Clint's first time picking up a bow again rather than the second time in the same mini. It diminished the impact for me.

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-23-2008, 05:41 AM
On an emotional level, I really enjoyed this issue. Yu's art looked great and I'm amazed with some of those splash pages that he's been able to finish this book on time. There were some panels that were a little under rendered, some characters that were undistiguishable but, a darn fine job on the scenes that "count".

Bendis has done a great job overall. There have been some great character moments (Hawkeye/Skrull Queen, Cap/Iron Man/Thor working together again) and what a cliffhanger! Like Lord Retail, I have no idea how the series is going to end, But I cannot wait to find out. The story has been an emotional rollercoaster ride and kudos for Bendis.

My only gripe is that some story beats aren't coming through very clear. For example, I thought Skrull Jarvis was dead? Was this just another Skrull? What's been going on with Jess in Avengers mansion since Skrull Jarvis released the virus? Did she know what he did?

Also, the layouts gave the impression Bullseye killed Skull Yellowjacket yet, he was alive at the end of the issue...but, I guess stuff like that happens all the time in comics so, it's hard to fault that.

I'm still trying to figure out how Tony got his armor working at all because of the virus and whether he still has it. Also, is Criti Noll just the current Skrull Pym or a name of any skrull who takes his guise? How many skrull Pym's did they go through. Was the original killed of panel (the one the Mighty Avengers issue with JRJ had in it).

Sometimes the story does feel too big for the confines of the series (and even the tie-ins) so, things like this either get lost through the crack or are easily missed but, these are small gripes what has been a fantastic read. I look forward to reading through again after all is said and done.

I'm pretty sure that Mighty Avengers #17 covers a lot of what you were saying about Yellow Jacket (including the injury-to-eye possibly) and here's some questions I had about the Criti Noll concept.
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5232487&postcount=54

And I gave thoughts on Jarvis above. I don't know what the truth is yet.

nihilance
10-23-2008, 05:42 AM
Oh and am I the only one who doesn't think the Queen is dead? It's not like she took the arrow through her skull...it just kind of went through her jaw at a weird angle.

Raphael J
10-23-2008, 05:48 AM
I'll have to go back and reread the previous issues...but why didn't Clint still have the bow and arrows he picked up from the fake Hawkeye in the Savage Land?

I loved the moment (particularly taking out the 4 skrulls in one panel)...but felt it would have been much more effective if it had been Clint's first time picking up a bow again rather than the second time in the same mini. It diminished the impact for me.

I'll agree with you there. The moment was fantastically portrayed, but I certainly agree that it was diminished, even if only a little, by Clint having used the bow just a few issues before.

Brother Power the Gong
10-23-2008, 05:49 AM
I'll agree with you there. The moment was fantastically portrayed, but I certainly agree that it was diminished, even if only a little, by Clint having used the bow just a few issues before.

Maybe so, but the bow Clint picks up in #7 is his bow, instead of some cheap Skrull knock-off that was probably made in China.

Cth
10-23-2008, 05:54 AM
Ok, I saw a funny theory someone had on another board and thought I'd share it..

Baby Cage, currently captured by Jarvis will go to the future, where she'll grow up to become the new female Black Panther.

Someone's been reading Cable too much :D

Ultimate Lurker
10-23-2008, 05:55 AM
I didn't even remember the other time he picked up his bow.

Babies point at stuff all the time.

Man, what if Stark really is a skrull after all of this? How sweet would that be?!

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-23-2008, 05:57 AM
Oh and am I the only one who doesn't think the Queen is dead? It's not like she took the arrow through her skull...it just kind of went through her jaw at a weird angle.

Behind the jaw and under the ear is not a safe place to catch an arrow. Why would Hawkeye either miss or not take the kill shot like he had been doing moments before? I hope not, but it looks like she might be done. She even reverted shape....Which some Skrulls have been shown to do under pain as recently as New Avengers this week, but I don't know if those just changed shape or went through the full mystical process that we saw in various tie-ins.

Raphael J
10-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Maybe so, but the bow Clint picks up in #7 is his bow, instead of some cheap Skrull knock-off that was probably made in China.

We know that, certainly. But my friend who's gonna read this that doesn't follow comics as religiously as I do won't see it that way. He'll read it and the moment won't land as well. The series already established loss for Clint and for him to get that big moment when he gets his big win, the reader may say we've seen it already. The moment isn't lost or diminished, because it's one I definitely cheered for, but a little bit of the oomph was missing.

Patton
10-23-2008, 06:16 AM
I still don't think Spider-Woman is a skrull.

Cth
10-23-2008, 06:18 AM

Babies point at stuff all the time.

Man, what if Stark really is a skrull after all of this? How sweet would that be?!

Do you have a baby? I don't remember a single moment when ours did something similar. Of course, we're not Skrulls, so who knows -- she might have been capable of doing so if only given the proper motivation.

Kudos to Yu for getting the baby's proportions correct (like he did in NA) which most artists have issues with.. but the Looney Tunes moment threw me out of it completely, personally.

And if Stark was a Skrull at this point, it'd be incredibly stupid.

Cth
10-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Behind the jaw and under the ear is not a safe place to catch an arrow. Why would Hawkeye either miss or not take the kill shot like he had been doing moments before? I hope not, but it looks like she might be done. She even reverted shape....Which some Skrulls have been shown to do under pain as recently as New Avengers this week, but I don't know if those just changed shape or went through the full mystical process that we saw in various tie-ins.

And technically, didn't he just shoot 3 or 4 arrows before that shot, that ended up exploding?

Lodging such an arrow like he did, there'd be no time for her to take off her quiver and get away from the expl --- oh wait :P

Baltrius2099
10-23-2008, 06:31 AM
I still don't think Spider-Woman is a skrull.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/egyptianmago/denial.jpg

SpecialK
10-23-2008, 06:34 AM

Unacceptable! Also, forgot to mention how bad ass Uatu looks.

Spidey616
10-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Wonder what Stonewall's last name is. Wonder if his legacy parent will be revaled once we find out. At least we know his first name is Henry.

SpecialK
10-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Wonder what Stonewall's last name is. Wonder if his legacy parent will be revaled once we find out. At least we know his first name is Henry.

I was wondering about that, wasn't he named Jerry Sledge when Quake first bailed him out?

Brother Power the Gong
10-23-2008, 07:03 AM

:)

Ultimate Lurker
10-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Do you have a baby? I don't remember a single moment when ours did something similar. Of course, we're not Skrulls, so who knows -- she might have been capable of doing so if only given the proper motivation.

Kudos to Yu for getting the baby's proportions correct (like he did in NA) which most artists have issues with.. but the Looney Tunes moment threw me out of it completely, personally.

And if Stark was a Skrull at this point, it'd be incredibly stupid.

He's now 2. He used to point at stuff all the time. Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly, cause I think I know what you are talking about, but maybe I missed something.

thecheat1
10-23-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that Mighty Avengers #17 covers a lot of what you were saying about Yellow Jacket (including the injury-to-eye possibly) and here's some questions I had about the Criti Noll concept.
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5232487&postcount=54

And I gave thoughts on Jarvis above. I don't know what the truth is yet.

Interesting thoughts on the Criti Noll question. It actually makes a lot of sense. I just wish the whole issue was brought out clearer.

James H
10-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Wow.

Ok, so I'm reading the recap page and I get this feeling in my head. Remember when you were a kid (at least, if you are around my age) and CBS would air a cartoon special (like Rudolph or Frosty) and the word "Special" would come spiraling toward the screen in orange and white while that "da-da-da-da-dum" music would play; and you excitedly think to yourself; "We're in for some shit!!!!!!"

That's the feeling I had on the recap page!

I turn the page and HOLY FUCK! What if we had a war and everyone came.

Damn, this issue was the tits. Hawkeye, Bullseye, and Howard the Duck for the win.

As for Norman Osborn knowing more than he should about the skull and Captain Marvel, I think it has a lot to do with what's going on in Deadpool right now. The baby pointing could just be the same device that Bendis used with Tony's eyes a few issues ago. Iron Man's line about his armor being held together with rubber bands very well could be literal. :)

Keep up the good work. I can't wait for #8.

nihilance
10-23-2008, 07:53 AM
He's now 2. He used to point at stuff all the time. Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly, cause I think I know what you are talking about, but maybe I missed something.

Yeah...my baby is 1 and she's been pointing at things forever.

cweed4
10-23-2008, 08:31 AM
SI #7 was excellent. Definitely did not see this coming- Veranke getting whacked! (At least not in this issue anyway.) So, I guess Wolverine is no longer the best he is at what he does?

Here are my questions/(minor)gripes-
-Putting the characters names in the panels kind of takes me out of the scene.
-Why did some of the skrulls retain their human form (eg Veranke, Noll, the Sue Storms) despite Reed's green-chin-nullifier?
-Did they try and sneak in a reveal that Gargan/Venom is a skrull (or was a dialogue balloon misdirected)?
-Did Bullseye miss Spidey or was that supposed to be him swinging past Skrullowjacket's eye?
-NO casualties on the human side?! Well, ok, maybe Janet (and Danielle :scared:) next issue. There better be more dead heroes than just Proton after this secret invasion :twisted:

nihilance
10-23-2008, 08:40 AM
-Did Bullseye miss Spidey or was that supposed to be him swinging past Skrullowjacket's eye?

I read that as misdirection. We were meant to think Bullseye was targeting Spider-man...but in fact he was targeting Yellowjacket's eye (which is in the background behind Spider-man in Bullseye's weapon scope). Bullseye doesn't miss...the reader is led to believe he's targeting Spider-man...we turn the page for the reveal.

Kirblar
10-23-2008, 08:42 AM
I read that as misdirection. We were meant to think Bullseye was targeting Spider-man...but in fact he was targeting Yellowjacket's eye (which is in the background behind Spider-man in Bullseye's weapon scope). Bullseye doesn't miss...the reader is led to believe he's targeting Spider-man...we turn the page for the reveal.
That scene's also in Thunderbolts this week and is a lot clearer about what's going on.

Patton
10-23-2008, 09:03 AM
I saw quite a few characters that I had never seen before. I guess there's no way for me to find out who they are.

Buk Was Right
10-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Fucking hell that was a great issue.

My heart BROKE when Jessica handed the baby off to Jarvis.

You fucker Bendis! I hate babies! How dare you make me care about a fictional baby!

Baltrius2099
10-23-2008, 10:01 AM

You fucker Bendis! I hate babies! How dare you make me care about a fictional baby!

Either the baby dies or Jessica Jones does because the next New Avengers says sumtin like "From SI one tragedy is the biggest, this is the story of Luke Cage"... Jessica Jones dieing and Cage becoming single parent would be weird as hell.

Baltrius2099
10-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Either the baby dies or Jessica Jones does because the next New Avengers says sumtin like "From SI one tragedy is the biggest, this is the story of Luke Cage"... Jessica Jones dieing and Cage becoming single parent would be weird as hell.

nihilance
10-23-2008, 10:13 AM

Or Jessica might be an skrull and not know it. She hasn't been shot by Reed's ray gun yet to see if she's legit.

Plus as far as the baby goes...we still have the whole thing with the milk and Wong not allowing Wolverine near the fridge.

Maestro
10-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Are we ever going to know what the Skrulls got from Reed Richards' mind that made the invasion possible? Because that seems important.

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
SI #7 was excellent. Definitely did not see this coming- Veranke getting whacked! (At least not in this issue anyway.) So, I guess Wolverine is no longer the best he is at what he does?

Here are my questions/(minor)gripes-
-Putting the characters names in the panels kind of takes me out of the scene.
-Why did some of the skrulls retain their human form (eg Veranke, Noll, the Sue Storms) despite Reed's green-chin-nullifier?
-Did they try and sneak in a reveal that Gargan/Venom is a skrull (or was a dialogue balloon misdirected)?
-NO casualties on the human side?! Well, ok, maybe Janet (and Danielle :scared:) next issue. There better be more dead heroes than just Proton after this secret invasion :twisted:
Looked like the Corruptor wasn't doing so hot in a panel, but that was all I could see for casualties. I'm not even sure what comics he is originally from.

Rick America
10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Are we ever going to know what the Skrulls got from Reed Richards' mind that made the invasion possible? Because that seems important.

Wasn't it how to disguise themselves without detection?

Maestro
10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Wasn't it how to disguise themselves without detection?

That's what the info was used for. But it was never said what the information specifically was.

antithesis
10-23-2008, 10:51 AM
i was thoroughly impressed by this issue. there are a few minor things i was confused by, but WOW. great work everyone!

i'll have to try digging through my comics to find an answer, but what did jessica jones mean when she said "oh, and you were right about the skrull thing" to luke cage? did she just mean that he was right to worry about the whole thing exploding and becoming a huge problem?

Also, spoiler speculation:
could dormammu be involved in "dark reign"? and the hood and some of his cronies be the new "dark avengers"? i guess i'd find it a little odd if dormammu came in at this point of the storyline, and had some major effects on it, but it wouldn't be entirely improbable. it would also be hard to follow for those people who aren't also reading NA (although it would be hard to get a lot of the things happening without reading NA).

BENDIS!
10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
SPOILERS OF WAR: Secret Invasion #7 12:03pm
http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18550

cweed4
10-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Looked like the Corruptor wasn't doing so hot in a panel, but that was all I could see for casualties. I'm not even sure what comics he is originally from.
It looked for a second like Veranke was killing Iron Fist but he was back putting the smackdown on some other skrulls just a couple of panels later.

That's what the info was used for. But it was never said what the information specifically was.
I think that's all we're gonna get. Kinda like the "He loves you" was just the skrull god (Skrod?) and nothing else.

Patton
10-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Okay I was wondering if someone can tell me who a few people are.

On page 2, along the left side of the page, who is the big guy in red and silver with the eyes and then the green guy under him?

On page 6, the guy with the 9 on his chest.

On page 7, the guy on Criti's arm with the red jacket and red glasses.

On page 12, the guy in green and yellow who kind of looks like Falcon.

Thanks if anyone can help. I assume they're maybe Initiative people. Or villains or something.

NickT
10-23-2008, 12:02 PM

On page 2, along the left side of the page, who is the big guy in red and silver with the eyes and then the green guy under him?

Thanks if anyone can help. I assume they're maybe Initiative people. Or villains or something.
I think 2 and 6 are Initiatives

7, Wonder Man?

12, it's one of the Wrecking Crew.

EDIT - 12 is Thunderball I think?

SpecialK
10-23-2008, 12:11 PM

6 is Red 9, and the "guy with the eyes" looks like Annex, who was in the Butterball issue of A:TI.

antithesis
10-23-2008, 01:08 PM
another question: since we've had the ability to translate what the skrulls have been saying in the comics, has anyone gone back and done it? i translated an issue or two, but there's so many issues with skrull text, it would take me awhile to do them all.

leafinsectman
10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
How could the Skrulls lose this war when they have a Skrullactus and all the known earth superpowers under the sun? Fuck it, I'm just gonna chalk it up to their powers not being as good as the humans' and them generally not being as good as earth people. Also Hawkeye :D

Where the fuck is the Sentry? Why does he have to freak out everytime? At least he did something in WWH. He turned black in that tie-in issue, right? What's that all about?

Me too.

Why would Hawkeye either miss or not take the kill shot like he had been doing moments before?

Slight possibility that she's not dead (this is comics after all) but heck, he killed Wanda, why wouldn't he kill the Queen after the fake Mockingbird deal?

The moment isn't lost or diminished, because it's one I definitely cheered for, but a little bit of the oomph was missing.

It worked well for me because of the YA Presents Hawkeye issue, might not work as good if people didn't know about the significance of the bow. I guess that issue is sort of an unofficial tie-in.

another question: since we've had the ability to translate what the skrulls have been saying in the comics, has anyone gone back and done it? i translated an issue or two, but there's so many issues with skrull text, it would take me awhile to do them all.

I tried but the characters mean different things in each issue. Unless I fucked it up somehow.

jamestolliver
10-23-2008, 01:30 PM
How could the Skrulls lose this war when they have a Skrullactus and all the known earth superpowers under the sun? Fuck it, I'm just gonna chalk it up to their powers not being as good as the humans' and them generally not being as good as earth people. Also Hawkeye :D

Where the fuck is the Sentry? Why does he have to freak out everytime? At least he did something in WWH. He turned black in that tie-in issue, right? What's that all about?

Me too.

Slight possibility that she's not dead (this is comics after all) but heck, he killed Wanda, why wouldn't he kill the Queen after the fake Mockingbird deal?

It worked well for me because of the YA Presents Hawkeye issue, might not work as good if people didn't know about the significance of the bow. I guess that issue is sort of an unofficial tie-in.

I tried but the characters mean different things in each issue. Unless I fucked it up somehow.

For skrullactus, I assume that his image was more of terror tactic. I don't think it actual had the power cosmic but rather it was an "oh shit" type of thing for the superheroes.

leafinsectman
10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
For skrullactus, I assume that his image was more of terror tactic. I don't think it actual had the power cosmic but rather it was an "oh shit" type of thing for the superheroes.

Yeah I agree, didn't what's her name from YA take her down? I guess the real Galactus could take on everyone in issue 7.

Spidey616
10-23-2008, 01:41 PM
SPOILERS OF WAR: Secret Invasion #7 12:03pm
http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18550

And still no hints of when/if we'll be seeing what happened to the Sentry, last seen in Mighty Avengers #14 released months ago.

Patton
10-23-2008, 01:49 PM
I think 2 and 6 are Initiatives

7, Wonder Man?

12, it's one of the Wrecking Crew.

EDIT - 12 is Thunderball I think?

I don't think it's Wonder Man. I think he's black.

Thanks Nick.

6 is Red 9, and the "guy with the eyes" looks like Annex, who was in the Butterball issue of A:TI.

Thanks.

NickT
10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
One hope for SI #8:

I really hope the Wasp situation isn't resolved with a suddenly appearing Sentry.

Brother Power the Gong
10-23-2008, 05:55 PM
One hope for SI #8:

I really hope the Wasp situation isn't resolved with a suddenly appearing Sentry.

I'm hoping for more Void and less Sentry.

WilliamRichard1985
10-23-2008, 07:50 PM
So I just read an synopsis of Secret Invasion on Wiki without having read any of the issues.

It sounds pretty damn grand and epic,I'm tempted to go pick up the past 7 issues.

Buk Was Right
10-23-2008, 09:41 PM
One hope for SI #8:

I dunno... that does sound like a problem that could be solved by throwing it into the sun...

Rain
10-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Good issue, but i was kinda annoyed by Thor speaking like a Shakespeare play again since it is one of the things that JMS actually managed to fix

Ultimate Lurker
10-24-2008, 03:58 AM
One hope for SI #8:

I actually thought that was exactly what might happen when I got to the final page. I bet it will actually have something to do with:
Osbourne saving everyone, becoming a hero to earth, and having free reign to do whatever he wants.

Foolish Mortal
10-24-2008, 05:11 AM
And still no hints of when/if we'll be seeing what happened to the Sentry, last seen in Mighty Avengers #14 released months ago.
The Void persona has taken over for the Sentry and has been fighting the Skrulls.

Ashwin Pande
10-24-2008, 05:26 AM
The Void persona has taken over for the Sentry and has been fighting the Skrulls.

Where is this happening?

SpecialK
10-24-2008, 05:28 AM
Where is this happening?

In his mind! I'm assuming the Void is just cuddling Lindy while she cries for help.

Foolish Mortal
10-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Where is this happening?
In Mighty Avengers #14, the Void shows up to rescue Lindy and takes out a Super-Skrull, then tells Lindy that he'll do what Robert was too afraid to do.

Ashwin Pande
10-24-2008, 05:39 AM
In Mighty Avengers #14, the Void shows up to rescue Lindy and takes out a Super-Skrull, then tells Lindy that he'll do what Robert was too afraid to do.

Oh I've read that. I was thinking they'd done more with that idea.

Also, cause it's Sentry related, Age Of The Sentry is phenomenal. It's just brilliant and hilarious comics.

Ultimate Lurker
10-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Could it be the Sentry is no more and the Void takes over, saves the world, and begins his Dark Reign?

NickT
10-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Also, cause it's Sentry related, Age Of The Sentry is phenomenal. It's just brilliant and hilarious comics.
It really is fantastic :)

I want Sentry in the last issue, but if he appears to save the day it is going to basically end up like the Secret War ending, which I think someone said earlier (Heroes about to get blown up with big human bomb, person who was in the book earlier appears from nowhere to save the day). Plus, people will have to explain how it isn't Deus Ex Machina in every single thread about SI :)

Foolish Mortal
10-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Could it be the Sentry is no more and the Void takes over, saves the world, and begins his Dark Reign?
Nope...

The Sentry is shown on a cover of a book solicited post-Secret Invasion

Ultimate Lurker
10-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Nope...

The Sentry is shown on a cover of a book solicited post-Secret Invasion

True, but why is he being targeted?

nihilance
10-24-2008, 08:32 AM
True, but why is he being targeted?

Because it's a homage to the Punisher's first appearance.

http://www.thepunishercomics.com/past_news/april_2004/PUNISHER_ASM_129_cvr.jpg

Love the widows peak.

Kefky
10-24-2008, 09:14 AM
I think secret invasion's been a pretty decent read so far, but I didn't really enjoy this issue much. I mean, the art looked amazing, and there were a couple of character moments that I enjoyed, but as a whole, it was just kind of a boring mess. Even after all these years, I can't get into the way Bendis choreographs action scenes. Also, I'm not really feeling the situation with Jan.

I'm curious about next issue, though. Hopefully, that last page really will be something shocking. :)

Ultimate Lurker
10-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Because it's a homage to the Punisher's first appearance.

http://www.thepunishercomics.com/past_news/april_2004/PUNISHER_ASM_129_cvr.jpg

Love the widows peak.

I know that. Emphasis should have been on HE, as in, why the Sentry?

nihilance
10-24-2008, 09:42 AM

My point is...it's a homage cover...it's very possible that the only thing in common with the story is that the Punisher and the Sentry both appear in the issue. We'll have to see.

Patton
10-24-2008, 09:43 AM

I think it's a new direction for Punisher. Like the Boys, maybe? Taking out possible superhero threats?

All speculation on my part.

nihilance
10-24-2008, 10:02 AM

My point is...it's a homage cover...it's very possible that the only thing in common with the story is that the Punisher and the Sentry both appear in the issue. We'll have to see.

SpiderPrime
10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Kind of an anticlimactic death for the Queen, no?

I mean, the panels of Hawkeye grabbing the bow and arrows and then shooting was awesome. (The character 'deserved' those panels). But then it seemed that the panel of the arrow going through Veranke was one of the smallest on the next page! I was kinda miffed that it wasn't at least some element of splash to it. I mean, she was the big-bad for, ya know, all of this.

Oh and Skrullvis is alive? How'd he survive the Hellicarrier exploding?

Overall pretty good issue, loving how the panels of this series are being reflected exactly in other titles, (primarily Thunderbolts), and really want to see how it all ends up.

SpecialK
10-24-2008, 06:22 PM

I mean, the panels of Hawkeye grabbing the bow and arrows and then shooting was awesome. (The character 'deserved' those panels). But then it seemed that the panel of the arrow going through Veranke was one of the smallest on the next page! I was kinda miffed that it wasn't at least some element of splash to it. I mean, she was the big-bad for, ya know, all of this.

It was noticeable, since Criti Noll's reaction is to set off Janet.

It could just be another skrull posing as Jarvis (or he never left, and it was a different one on the helicarrier)

Overall pretty good issue, loving how the panels of this series are being reflected exactly in other titles, (primarily Thunderbolts), and really want to see how it all ends up.

I enjoyed that as well, and it made me wonder which of Bendis and Gage actually wrote the dialogue. I noticed the interaction between Fury and Osborne was partially switched in the issues, not that it mattered.

SpiderPrime
10-24-2008, 07:20 PM
It was noticeable, since Criti Noll's reaction is to set off Janet.

Right, but the panel was marginalized on the page to the reader. I'm sure all the characters in-story were like "AGHAST! The Queen is Dead!" Thing is, I wanted to be too.

The Human Target
10-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not really following this, but I did read this thread.

What characters from the Savage Land ship weren't Skrulls in the end when they got zapped?

I promise, no bitching. :)

Spidey616
10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm not really following this, but I did read this thread.

What characters from the Savage Land ship weren't Skrulls in the end when they got zapped?

I promise, no bitching. :)

Spoilers if you didn't read SI #5........

None. Yup all of the characters from the ship that crashed in the Savage Land were Skrulls. Even Mockingbird. So no Ronin/Echo/Mockingbird love triangle anytime soon.

The Human Target
10-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Spoilers if you didn't read SI #5........

None. Yup all of the characters from the ship that crashed in the Savage Land were Skrulls. Even Mockingbird. So no Ronin/Echo/Mockingbird love triangle anytime soon.

Huh, you think at least one of the buggers would have been legit.

Thanks!

ca35
10-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I just want this to end already.

nick maynard
10-25-2008, 05:57 PM
i really wonder why bendis decided to bring back mockingbird AND take her away inside this event. i think the whole thing could have been way more heart breaking if she had been back for a while. like, since house of m.

Slewo.O
10-25-2008, 06:27 PM
i really wonder why bendis decided to bring back mockingbird AND take her away inside this event. i think the whole thing could have been way more heart breaking if she had been back for a while. like, since house of m.

Because that would've been one of the first people they'd suspect to be a Skrull? That and the scene with the Skrull ship wouldn't have worked out as well if it wasn't filled with people who've been gone like her.

Ashwin Pande
10-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Her death and Clint swearing revenge was the end of act 2.

Spidey616
10-25-2008, 07:24 PM
I hope we see a lot more Echo in the final issue and Bendis keeps her alive for her and Clint to continue their relationship.

Captain Sensation
10-25-2008, 07:50 PM
It feels like this series has been going on forever, but when i look at final crisis i feel a little bit better. However, i read this issue (FINALLY) and at this point im just ready for the whole thing to be over with.

nick maynard
10-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Her death and Clint swearing revenge was the end of act 2.
her death could have been the end of act 2 no matter when she came back to life.

Because that would've been one of the first people they'd suspect to be a Skrull?
hawkeye came back from the dead after house of m. why couldn't mockingbird?

That and the scene with the Skrull ship wouldn't have worked out as well if it wasn't filled with people who've been gone like her.there's a lot of other dead characters they could have used in her place.

im just saying, her death would have DESTROYED me if she had been back for a while, and we had gotten to see clint happy with her for a while. her return could have been so insanely touching, happy clint would have been way better than grim n' gritty ronin, and the revelation she was a skrull would have been genuinely heartbreaking. but to have her back, and then gone, within two issues didn't really feel like anything at all.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
10-26-2008, 06:53 AM
I read 1-7 in one sitting the other night, and man, unless 8 is like, I dunno, ghostwritten by Scott Lobdell or something, this isn't only going to go down as may favorite event mini ever, but most likely just my favorite big actiony superhero story ever.

gomi
10-26-2008, 04:13 PM
I thought this issue was okay, but really just okay. I'd rather see more character stuff than a book filled with giant fight scenes. It felt like there were some missed opportunities for some great interactions, like Ares and Phobos or Yoyo and the Griffin. Anyway, I'm also ready for this to be done with because I feel that the post-SI world has a lot of interesting possibilities.

Ray G.
10-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I read 1-7 in one sitting the other night, and man, unless 8 is like, I dunno, ghostwritten by Scott Lobdell or something, this isn't only going to go down as may favorite event mini ever, but most likely just my favorite big actiony superhero story ever.

I'd probably prefer both Sinestro Corps and Ultimate Clone saga in terms of big actiony superhero stories. :)

I am really enjoying this, though. It's pretty surprising just how many fates have been left up in the air over the mini, though.

Echo and now Hawkeye 2.

Joe Henderson
10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/102508si7commentary.html

Two interesting revelations (should I spoiler text, even though this is a spoiler thread? I guess I will to be safe):

1. Spider-woman Skrull is not dead, apparently.
2. The Cage baby's not a skrull.

HOOKS
10-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/102508si7commentary.html

Two interesting revelations (should I spoiler text, even though this is a spoiler thread? I guess I will to be safe):

1. Spider-woman Skrull is not dead, apparently.
2. The Cage baby's not a skrull.

After reading the interview, I immediately went back to NEW AVENGERS and the last page, and yelled "Damn you, Bendis!"

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x244/itshooks/newavengers31lastpage.jpg

He has seriously pwned the entire comics community for the last year.

Maestro
10-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Booooo! I remember the solicitation from that issue.

NEW AVENGERS #31

COVER BY: LEINIL FRANCIS YU
WRITER: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
PENCILS: LEINIL FRANCIS YU
COLORED BY: DAVE MCCAIG
LETTERED BY: COMICRAFT

THE STORY:
No hype! No BS! The most important last page of any Marvel comic this year! Do not miss it!

32 PGS./Rated T+ $2.99

Boooo :brkheart:

NickT
10-27-2008, 04:16 AM
After reading the interview, I immediately went back to NEW AVENGERS and the last page, and yelled "Damn you, Bendis!"

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x244/itshooks/newavengers31lastpage.jpg

He has seriously pwned the entire comics community for the last year.
So it wasn't a Skrull, it was dramatic Chipmunk? :)

Patton
10-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Never mind. I remember now.

danlomb
10-27-2008, 07:51 PM
My theory on the Dark Reign tease: "Who is the Iron Patriot?":

Patriot wears Vision like a battlesuit, like Doug and Warlock used to do in New Mutants

Joking... but kinda not.

christosgage
10-28-2008, 10:29 AM
I enjoyed that as well, and it made me wonder which of Bendis and Gage actually wrote the dialogue.

Bendis. Any time I can get someone else to do my job for me...:cool:

Best,

CNG

CPA
10-28-2008, 12:39 PM

I thought that panel having Hawkeye shoot her was great. The fact that it was an ordinary human that took her down was great. The skrulls had planned to be ready for all the super powered heroes, but never were really prepared for the normal heroes. I am a big Hawkeye fan and was really happy to see him be a factor since he has been relegated to a supporting character lately.

beta-ray
11-02-2008, 04:07 PM

PUNISHER #1
Written by RICK REMENDER
Penciled by JEROME OPENA
50/50 Covers by MIKE MCKONE
LIVING IN DARKNESS," PART 1
The fight against the "Dark Reign" begins as the duty of chronicling Frank Castle's war journal is passed to new regular team of writer Rick Remender (End League, Fear Agent) and Jerome Opena (Wolverine, Fear Agent).
One man with one bullet, in the right place, at the right time, can change the world. That's why the Punisher is perched atop a building on the Jersey shore with a high-powered Skrull rifle, his crosshairs trained on a target in Midtown Manhattan. But who is his target -- and why? One thing's for sure: They're anything but helpless. Someone is watching their back. Someone big. Enter: The Sentry!
48 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Marvel Bhoy
11-10-2008, 02:20 PM

I was wondering about that, wasn't he named Jerry Sledge when Quake first bailed him out?

I don't remember his name being given out in his first appearance but i'm sure he was called Benjy in a recent MA ish.
This made me think that he could be named after his father who is supposed to be a major Marvel icon. Benjamin Grimm fits the bill.

Slewo.O
11-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't remember his name being given out in his first appearance but i'm sure he was called Benjy in a recent MA ish.
This made me think that he could be named after his father who is supposed to be a major Marvel icon. Benjamin Grimm fits the bill.

Eh Grimm doesn't seem like the fathering type and that doesn't explain where he got his powers from since I doubt Grimm would've fathered a child after he got his powers. :-?

Marvel Bhoy
11-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Yeah, I've done it. The problem is that NA, MA and SI each have their own Skrull fonts.
The NA and MA ones are fairly easy to translate.
The SI font uses Skrull letters and punctuation marks that are so similar that translating is difficult.
There doesn't seem to be anything significant though. On a few occassions the letterers seem to have taken Bendis's script literally - "Insert alien Kree/Srull dialogue font" has cropped up a few times.

Marvel Bhoy
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Eh Grimm doesn't seem like the fathering type and that doesn't explain where he got his powers from since I doubt Grimm would've fathered a child after he got his powers. :-?

Grimm has had a few spells where he's reverted to human form which would allow him to father a child after he got his powers. The genetic changes caused by the cosmic rays could have been passed to his "son".
The name Stonewall could be a tribute to his father who looks like a walking pile of bricks.

Slewo.O
11-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Grimm has had a few spells where he's reverted to human form which would allow him to father a child after he got his powers. The genetic changes caused by the cosmic rays could have been passed to his "son".
The name Stonewall could be a tribute to his father who looks like a walking pile of bricks.
In current Marvel time the Fantastic Four have been around for 10 years with some change (or a little bit more). That's not enough time for one of those periods for the Thing to have a kid as old as Stonewall.

Brother Power the Gong
11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
In current Marvel time the Fantastic Four have been around for 10 years with some change (or a little bit more). That's not enough time for one of those periods for the Thing to have a kid as old as Stonewall.

I thought the FF had been around since the late 80s - early 90s.

Marvel Bhoy
11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Only ten years? Doesn't that rule out almost every Marvel Icon then, since the FF debuted before almost every other MU hero.

Spidey616
11-10-2008, 04:42 PM

Yup.

In fact, if we take into account Dan Slott's short lived Thing series, Ben celebrates his 13th anniversary of being "The Thing".

JasonWGBB007
11-12-2008, 03:26 PM
i'm trying to think of who Stonewalls famous parent is. Are we told if it's a dad or a mom(I'm too lazy to look for myself lol)? cause if its a mom it could be Sharon Ventura maybe...