PDA

View Full Version : Turnabout is fair play: Some Cable Channels Refuse To Air Abstinence Only Ad

Shwicaz
06-12-2005, 05:15 AM
Remember a few months ago, all that hoopla over 'Postcards from Buster'? because the show showed a young girl who had 'two mommies', the show became a lightning rod of controversy and debate.

The show's producers argued that the show did not show anything racy, sexual, or inflammatory to young viewers, but the show was pulled off of many stations due to its content.

Family groups and certain members of the government spoke out about the issue, and got lots of press time speaking out about this 'evil' show, and how great it was that some affilliated decided not to air this show to 'protect the children'.

NOW, a commercial promoting the 'abstinence only' message, sponsored by a Catholic Social Services Program called ACTION (which stands for Abstinence Challenging Teens in Our Neighborhood) is having their ad pulled from some local cable stations here in Boston.

And the funny thing is, their arguments for wanting the commercial aired, are the SAME arguments that were dismissed by these groups when gay parents spoke out about having the PBS show taken off their stations.

Ironic, isn't it?

FALL RIVER -- A television ad urging teenagers to abstain from sex has been deemed inappropriate for young children by some networks on Comcast Corp. cable television and will not be seen on several channels geared to younger viewers.

The spot, sponsored by the Catholic Social Services program, ACTION, which stands for Abstinence Challenging Teens in Our Neighborhood, was supposed to run on cable stations in seven communities in southeastern Massachusetts. An official with Comcast said the decisions were up to the individual networks and not the cable company.

''The ad was deemed appropriate for some networks," said Dana Runnells, a senior marketing manager for Comcast Spotlight, the company's advertising division. She said she did not know the reasons.

During the 30-second spot, phrases about sex pop up on a black screen and are read aloud by teenagers.

''There's no racy language or images," said Liz Isherwood, whose public relations agency put the spot together. ''I don't understand the decision, and neither does Catholic Services."

Isherwood said the advertisement encourages self-respect. The phrases displayed on the screen include ''I thought I would feel like a man" and ''I thought she was using protection."

It ends with the phrase: ''Before you decide to have sex, do some serious thinking and take ACTION. Care enough to wait."

Isherwood said the ad has been running on the radio, and she has not received complaints about its content.

Runnells said all ads are judged against internal company standards, including profanity and taste, and then are reviewed by the individual networks, which decide whether the spots will appear on their channels.

''We review every ad on a case-by-case basis for compliance with internal standards and network guidelines. We make sure that [the ads] are appropriate for the audience," she said.

Comcast officials were concerned that the ad might be seen by children in the 6- to 9-year-old range.

Requests for comment left in telephone messages at ACTION in Fall River yesterday were not immediately returned

My favorite part of the article:

''There's no racy language or images," said Liz Isherwood, whose public relations agency put the spot together. ''I don't understand the decision, and neither does Catholic Services." Isherwood said the advertisement encourages self-respect.

Isn't that the same reason that the people who objected to catholic and family groups pulling the 'kids show that showed gays in a positive light' used. And weren't they laughed at by Catholic and Family groups for just such reasoning?

And now, that their ad is being pulled, they come up with the same exact reasons they riduculed other people for using.

alexlannin
06-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Stop being fair dammit!

Boris the Blade
06-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Shouldn't Catholics be encouraging little Christian soldiers to be muliplying as early as possible?

BriRedfern
06-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Shouldn't Catholics be encouraging little Christian soldiers to be muliplying as early as possible?

BAstards can't be saved. So they don't want 'em.

:bansign:

Shwicaz
06-12-2005, 08:51 AM

good point. I mean, didn't the pope just speak out on the evils of 'artificial' birth control?

I don't undersand the reasoning sometimes.

Boris the Blade
06-12-2005, 08:53 AM
good point. I mean, didn't the pope just speak out on the evils of 'artificial' birth control?

I don't undersand the reasoning sometimes.
Birth control means they're having sex. Having sex before marriage is evil. If they get married at 14 and fuck like jackrabbits, it's cool.

DigiEmissary
06-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Take that, bitches! :hulk:

BriRedfern
06-12-2005, 10:19 AM
I like how you think there are two "teams" out there and one is getting "even" with the other by doing this....

Jastermereel
06-12-2005, 05:31 PM
I like how you think there are two "teams" out there and one is getting "even" with the other by doing this....
I like how you describe this karmic turnabout is being portrayed as "teams" as if you were actually making a constructive or worthwhile responce.

Bill!
06-12-2005, 05:34 PM

There are. One is called the Bad Guys, one is called the Good Guys. The Good Guys just scored a point.

The Human Target
06-12-2005, 05:37 PM
There are. One is called the Bad Guys, one is called the Good Guys. The Good Guys just scored a point.

Hahahaha I like you. :thumb:

gwyllgi
06-12-2005, 05:39 PM
BAstards can't be saved. So they don't want 'em.

:bansign:

Really? If you are born out of wedlock god doesn't want you!?

DrMachine
06-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Good for the the cable industry (atleast the local boston cable industry)

ihategravity
06-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Simple definition of karma.

BWC Boston
06-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Really? If you are born out of wedlock god doesn't want you!?

Hell, I was born totally IN wedlock, and God still doesn't want me.

(My father was a filthy Proddie)

Captain Nate
06-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Hey, it's all fair. Though, to be honest, I would like to know why the Abstinence-only ad was REALLY banned. I mean, during what shows was it going to run? These days, with ads on Erectile Disfunction and Genital Herpes running all day long, I can't imagine an Abstinance advertisement really being considered much worse than that.

Jamie Howdeshell
06-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey, it's all fair. Though, to be honest, I would like to know why the Abstinence-only ad was REALLY banned. I mean, during what shows was it going to run? These days, with ads on Erectile Disfunction and Genital Herpes running all day long, I can't imagine an Abstinance advertisement really being considered much worse than that.

personally i think all the ads for prescription medicine should be banned. they are irresponsible and unprofessional.

as for why the abstinance thing would be barred, i imagine it might just have something to do with the fact that abstinance programs are just plain fucking crazy.