PDA

View Full Version : Finally Went And Replaced My Broken Xbox...Advice?

Gail Simone
10-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I haven't had my xbox for about a year or so (my call sign is Crazy Inez, by the way).

I played it a little last night and i have to say, I still much prefer it to my ps3 and Wii. The wii just feels too last generation, and I don't care much for the controller, and the PS3 remains an unfriendly, unintuitive box that mainly gets used for the blu-ray stuff (which I don't care about that much either).

But the 360 is more fun, more natural, and a pleasure to use, in my opinion.

My question to you is...what has come out recently, in the last year or so, that is 360 exclusive that you would recommend? What's fun that's recent on xbox live? Has anything been added to Live that you use regularly? Are there features I should know about?

And lastly, what have you been playing the most on your 360 recently?

THANKS!

Cactusakic
10-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Recent Retail Games Worth Checking Out:
Soulcalibur 4
Lego Batman

Recent XBLA Games Worth Checking Out:
Castle Crashers
Braid
Duke Nukem 3D
Geometry Wars 2

What I have been playing recently:

Soulcalibur 4
Lego Batman
Gears Of War

Also, Too Human and The Force Unleashed seem to be going over well with people, but I personally don't care for either.

Gail Simone
10-05-2008, 10:54 AM
"Soulcalibur 4
Lego Batman"

I did buy both of those for the PS3. I kinda wish I'd waited and got them for the 360 even though I hear Yoda kind of sucks.

Criden
10-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I think you'd love Mario Galaxy, Gail. And Wii Fit. I don't know--my girlfriend and I have a great time playing Wii together. I think it's very couple-friendly.

Cactusakic
10-05-2008, 10:56 AM
"Soulcalibur 4
Lego Batman"

I did buy both of those for the PS3. I kinda wish I'd waited and got them for the 360 even though I hear Yoda kind of sucks.

Yoda does indeed suck.

It's been all but confirmed that Vader is going to be made available as DLC for the 360 and the same with Yoda on the PS3, so you will be able to find out for yourself.

Gail Simone
10-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I think you'd love Mario Galaxy, Gail. And Wii Fit. I don't know--my girlfriend and I have a great time playing Wii together. I think it's very couple-friendly.

I like the games okay...I just feel that it's not what I want in a game machine, and Nintendo only seems to score with their handhelds for the last few systems they've come out with.

Scotty
10-05-2008, 10:58 AM
"Soulcalibur 4
Lego Batman"

I'd like Yoda. He's a bitch to play against since he's tiny but as a player character he wasn't so bad.

Slewo.O
10-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Get gears of war ands halo 3. I hear too human and force unleashed are good and I plan on getting em. I also plan on getting spider-man web of shadows and fable 2 when they come.

Look forward to playing with you Gail. ;)

Slewo.O
10-05-2008, 11:02 AM
also get the arcade sonic games they're fun and I hear braid is very good if pricey.

Also get Rock Band it's a fun addictive game and worth the price and space.

SgtPepper
10-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Mass Effect is pretty fun.

markgrayson
10-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Get gears of war ands halo 3. I hear too human and force unleashed are good and I plan on getting em. I also plan on getting spider-man web of shadows and fable 2 when they come.

Look forward to playing with you Gail. ;)

Whoa there Omega, she's married. :lol:

Slewo.O
10-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Mass Effect is pretty fun.

I like mass effect but it's boring to play the second time IMO.

Cactusakic
10-05-2008, 11:06 AM

http://yogan.meinungsverstaerker.de/fun/Ba_Dum_Tssshhh.jpg

Slewo.O
10-05-2008, 11:07 AM

how did I know someone was gonna male that joke?

CamSpidey
10-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Because you are wise in the ways of the Internet. ;-)

Cactusakic
10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Because you are wise in the ways of the Internet. ;-)

Welcome to the BenBo dude.

:beer:

Unless you are Marvelier in another of his "wacky" guises, in which case please die in a fire.

:thumb:

kari
10-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Not exclusive to the 360 but Rock band(and now Rock band 2) is the most fun I've ever had playing a video game.

What types of games are you into Gail?

I could post a dozen different lists based on tastes and you might only like one or two of them.

markgrayson
10-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Got penis on the brain?

CamSpidey
10-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Welcome to the BenBo dude.

:beer:

Unless you are Marvelier in another of his "wacky" guises, in which case please die in a fire.

:thumb:

Thanks for the welcome! :wave:

I don't know who Marvelier is, but I'm assuming you aren't a fan. :lol:

Cactusakic
10-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the welcome! :wave:

I don't know who Marvelier is, but I'm assuming you aren't a fan. :lol:

Always good to see new people signing up.

Stick around long enough and you are bound to see him pop up sooner or later.

Yeah, to say I am not a fan is something of an understatement.

CamSpidey
10-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Always good to see new people signing up.

Stick around long enough and you are bound to see him pop up sooner or later.

Yeah, to say I am not a fan is something of an understatement.

So he's a troll then?

Slewo.O
10-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Got penis on the brain?

Even my iPhone is against me. :(

As for marvelier at Lear we have maxwellbto defend us :D

Ryudo
10-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Too Human's okay.

Bioshock is really really good - that's come out in the last year.

Infinite Undiscovery and Project Sylpheed are both held in high esteem.

Cactusakic
10-05-2008, 11:29 AM
So he's a troll then?

Pretty much.
But we are derailing Gail's thread.
Like I said, you'll see him sooner or later.

And again, welcome.
I look forward to talking to you more.

CamSpidey
10-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Pretty much.
But we are derailing Gail's thread.
Like I said, you'll see him sooner or later.

And again, welcome.
I look forward to talking to you more.

Okay, cool. And yeah, sorry about that Gail. :Oops:

And thanks again! You too. :D

Briomega
10-05-2008, 11:36 AM
So that's why you haven't been online. :lol:

If you like RPGs at all, I would highly recommend Tales of Vesperia. It's 360 exclusive and it's a ton of fun.

GTA4's exclusive downloadable episode will be out in the near future.

Fallout 3 is just around the corner and it's another one that's getting exclusive downloadable content on the 360. I seem to recall you enjoying Oblivion, but maybe I'm not remembering right, but it's by the same company and has some similarities.

MabusRex
10-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Haven't played my 360 at all in a while though I do try and play some CoD4 and Halo 3 every now and again. Geometry wars and its sequel are fun. Thinking about getting Gears of War 2 and Dead Space when they come out. But yeah, just depends on what kinds of games you are into.

Jonathan Callan
10-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I haven't had my xbox for about a year or so (my call sign is Crazy Inez, by the way).

I played it a little last night and i have to say, I still much prefer it to my ps3 and Wii. The wii just feels too last generation, and I don't care much for the controller, and the PS3 remains an unfriendly, unintuitive box that mainly gets used for the blu-ray stuff (which I don't care about that much either).

But the 360 is more fun, more natural, and a pleasure to use, in my opinion.

My question to you is...what has come out recently, in the last year or so, that is 360 exclusive that you would recommend? What's fun that's recent on xbox live? Has anything been added to Live that you use regularly? Are there features I should know about?

And lastly, what have you been playing the most on your 360 recently?

THANKS!

Castle Crashers. Geometry Wars 2. You'll love both.

Call of Duty 4 is fun, but very sort of war-like and "a guy's game" just to give fair warning. If you like that sort of thing, cool, but I don't know your taste in games. I quite like the multiplayer on GTA4 but the same warning applies.

Chris McCarver
10-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Wife's been playing A LOT OF Oblivion since she got pregnant. Dunno if there's a correlation.

I'm meaning to jump back on the GTA4 horse once I have some outstanding comics projects completed.

Ashwin Pande
10-05-2008, 02:19 PM
You gotta get Castle Crashers if you haven't already. Tons of fun. Tons!

Right now some of the cooler games are on the horizon: Fallout 3, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2. All seem pretty badass. All games that I can't afford right now. :-x

If you haven't played the Orange Box yet you gotta do it. Portal and the Half Life 2 episodes are AMAZING. I'd recommend Force Unleashed but I heard the reviewers trashed it.

But yeah... Castle Crashers!!

Gail Simone
10-05-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm having a hard time with what I think is the last level of portal, dang it.

Briomega
10-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm having a hard time with what I think is the last level of portal, dang it.

Which part? There were a couple spots that I got stuck with in that one. Mostly you just have to remember all the skills you learned along the way.

Gail Simone
10-05-2008, 05:28 PM
The part where you have to plant a ton of portals on one long fall, you keep going platform to platform and all the portals have to be dropped in one long go. I know what to do, I just suck at it.

Briomega
10-05-2008, 05:29 PM
The part where you have to plant a ton of portals on one long fall, you keep going platform to platform and all the portals have to be dropped in one long go. I know what to do, I just suck at it.

Yeah, I had a feeling it was that one. :) It's a pain in the butt for sure.

Brad N.
10-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Wow Gail, maybe you can finalyl accept my friend request from like 10 months ago. :)

Bnasty316 is me.

Shawn_Kehoe
10-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Bioshock is an absolute masterpiece - well worth playing if you haven't yet.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Portal, but be sure to check out Team Fortress 2 as well. I have played dozens of multiplayer First Person Shooters over the years, and NONE of them let you play mind games with the opponents like TF2. I mean c'mon ... what other game lets you trick the enemy medic into healing your wounds, only to reward him with a knife in the back?

Too Human was pretty fun, I'll play it again.

My current rotation looks like Orange Box / Command & Conquer 3 / Rainbow Six Vegas / GTA IV.

Ashwin Pande
10-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Bioshock is an absolute masterpiece - well worth playing if you haven't yet.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Portal, but be sure to check out Team Fortress 2 as well. I have played dozens of multiplayer First Person Shooters over the years, and NONE of them let you play mind games with the opponents like TF2. I mean c'mon ... what other game lets you trick the enemy medic into healing your wounds, only to reward him with a knife in the back?

Too Human was pretty fun, I'll play it again.

My current rotation looks like Orange Box / Command & Conquer 3 / Rainbow Six Vegas / GTA IV.

How is C&C3? I chose to buy the Darkness instead of it because I read the strategy game aspect doesn't work so well with the Xbox controller.

You have that problem?

Shawn_Kehoe
10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
How is C&C3? I chose to buy the Darkness instead of it because I read the strategy game aspect doesn't work so well with the Xbox controller.

You have that problem?

The controller works pretty well actually. Just imagine that the Left Trigger, Left Bumper and Right Bumper are your ALT, SHIFT and CTRL modifiers.

The only thing that's significantly slower is organising control groups of several mixed arms units at once. In a multiplayer game that's ok, since everyone is handicapped the same way. Unfortunately, the campaign AI wasn't toned down to account for this, so the campaign is reportedly a bit tougher than the PC version.

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Check out Puzzle Fighter if you like puzzle games. Its easy to play and you'll get better at it as you go. Its one of the reasons I got a 360. Its in the Xbox Live arcade. How about Uno, do you play that one?

Cth
10-06-2008, 07:07 AM
XBLA Arcade Titles
Castle Crashers (side scroller similar to Golden Axe w/ multiplayer)
Braid (platformer similar to Mario Brothers with time control elements)
Fable II Pub Games (parlor games)

XB360 Games
Beautiful Katamari
Scene It (movie trivia game, comes with 4 controllers, on clearance at Target for $14.99)
Lost Odyssey (Final Fantasyish RPG; also on clearance at Target for $14.99 if you can find it)
Mass Effect (Sci Fi RPG; similar to Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic; Babylon 5; etc)
Culdcept Saga (Monpoly meets Magic the Gathering)
Civilization Revolution (not exclusive, but still a great game!)
Too Human (maybe a rental, depends on how much you like Norse mythology and Diablo)
Tales of Vesperia (JRPG)
Infinite Undiscoery (JRPG)
Silent Hill Homecoming is bound to be good, but again, it's multiconsole.

As always, check youtube for gameplay footage of the above games.

Upcoming XB360 Games
Left 4 Dead (fast zombies; smart AI) lots of us are planning on getting this one
Fable II (co-op) see above
Fallout 3 (Post-nuclear RPG; similar to Oblivion)
Gears of War 2
Spiderman Web of Shadows (multiconsole)
Dead Space (multiconsole)
Rock Band 2 (multiconsole)
Banjo Kazooie