PDA

View Full Version : Young Avengers Presents:

VonDoom
10-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Worth reading. As good as Heinberg/Cheung? Give me your sage counsel, O Bendis Board, this I beg.

mec
10-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I liked the Patriot and Hawkeye issues. The others were a bit more iffy.

iGotKittyPryde
The first and last issues by Brubaker and Fraction were good. The rest were a mix of BAD (the Cassie issue comes to mind) and mediocre.

You'd be better off finding those two issue in a dollar bin, I think.

Criden
Yeah, it was good. My favorites were Bru's Patriot ish, Reed's Hulkling, Aguire-Sacasa's Wiccan and Speed, and Fraction's Hawkeye. Those were all really great one-off issues. I liked the other two issues a lot, too--those four stuck out in my mind in particular.

iGotKittyPryde
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it was good. My favorites were Bru's Patriot ish, Reed's Hulkling, Aguire-Sacasa's Wiccan and Speed, and Fraction's Hawkeye. Those were all really great one-off issues. I liked the other two issues a lot, too--those four stuck out in my mind in particular.

Oh, yeah Hulkling by Reed was pretty good too. Forgot all about it. Tied in nicely with the Captain Marvel mini.

Criden
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh, yeah Hulkling by Reed was pretty good too. Forgot all about it. Tied in nicely with the Captain Marvel mini.

Yeah, it really did. You didn't like the Wiccan and Speed one? As a big WCA fan, it really hit all the right notes for me.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Some stories were really really good, some where just mediocre. The good definitely outshines the not-quite-as-good. Easily worth a read.

iGotKittyPryde
10-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah, it really did. You didn't like the Wiccan and Speed one? As a big WCA fan, it really hit all the right notes for me.

Eh, it seemed uneventful, but it wasn't BAD. I just kind of read it and instantly forgot it existed.

I was excited for it, at the time, though, as I really like Sasca. But yup, didn't do much for me. It was a good deal better than the Cassie issue though.

Ryan F
10-02-2008, 03:54 PM
The Hawkeye issue is one of my favorite comics of the year. The rest is ok to crap.

lonesomefool
10-02-2008, 04:08 PM
The only bad one is the Kevin Grevioux written issue, the same guy that writes New Warriors so I suppose it's no surprise it was shit.

The rest are all pretty good, though overall it felt rather average. That was bound to happen though, since none of the writers could really do a whole lot with the characters since I'm sure they dont want to shake the apple cart until Heinberg comes back (which will likely be 2010 or so).

TonyFleecs
10-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I thought it was all pretty great. All great comic writers.

Hawkeye issue is what sold me on Fraction, Vision one turned me on to Cornell.

Reed & Bru I already loved.

Maybe not as good as Heinburg's stuff but really good comics all the same.

Ray G.
10-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I thought Vision by Cornell was pretty good.

Akira
10-02-2008, 04:31 PM
The only bad one is the Kevin Grevioux written issue, the same guy that writes New Warriors so I suppose it's no surprise it was shit.

Which one did he write?

Supreme Convoy
10-02-2008, 04:33 PM
It scratches my Young Avengers itch.

lonesomefool
10-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Which one did he write?

The Cassie one.

MabusRex
10-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I thought Vision by Cornell was pretty good.

Y'know, I agree with this. Got to really explore the Cassie / Vision relationship better.

ZombieSpeedball
10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
The series was pretty good. The problem is that it reminds me of the fact that YA doesn't have a new ongoing series yet.

VonDoom
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
The series was pretty good. The problem is that it reminds me of the fact that YA doesn't have a new ongoing series yet.

Thanks for the input fellas. Alas, this means I will probably end up purchasing this trade, further cementing the likelihood that October will leave my wallet's cornhole in bleeding, shredded ruins.

Spidey616
10-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I was really hoping for the Wiccan/Speed one to give some answer to their situation with the Scarlet Witch, but as expected, nothing is answered. Still, it was fun seeing Billy and Tommy interacting as brothers.

Of the 6 issues, Matt Fraction's Hawkeye was the best, and FINALLY had Kate Bishop learn that Clint Barton was alive.

dj127
10-02-2008, 05:42 PM
fraction's hawkeye ish was the best of the bunch.

Jim T.
10-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I liked 'em all.

Marcdachamp
10-02-2008, 10:46 PM
The only really bad issue is the Cassie one, and the Wiccan/Speed one is mediocre. The rest are quite good. Loved the Hulkling one.

nick maynard
10-02-2008, 11:12 PM
it was way more hit than miss. and fraction's issue was amazing. fraction deserves to write that book.

Boris the Blade
10-02-2008, 11:30 PM
The Cassie issue is weak, not bad, but weak, and hardly noteworthy.

The rest is all good stuff. Individual stories with the characters. Some cool developments. Waiting for the next series impatiently now!

NickT
10-03-2008, 02:53 AM
The Cassie issue is weak, not bad, but weak, and hardly noteworthy.
I seem to remember it having the funniest line though :)

It wasn't as good as the ongoing, but it's worth a read. Some good stuff there.