PDA

View Full Version : Acts of Vengeance

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 05:46 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Marvelage81actsofv.jpg

Yeah, I'm interested based on that promo piece alone, but what are the thoughts on this '89-'90 crossover? Also, was it ever traded?

Akira
10-01-2008, 05:50 AM
I keep banging the gong for this to get an OHC or Omnibus. If only for the Magneto vs Red Skull scene

Ron Salas
10-01-2008, 05:51 AM
It was good. Go read it.

Jim T.
10-01-2008, 05:51 AM
I keep banging the gong for this to get an OHC or Omnibus. If only for the Magneto vs Red Skull scene

Which was really the only great part. The rest was just sort of so-so

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 06:00 AM

Well, Jared, now I'm really interested, 'cause that just sounds fanboy-gasmic, though I imagine Magneto would gain an easy win.

DaveCummings
10-01-2008, 06:01 AM
It's an interesting premise, villains switching up against their normal adversaries. Though I thought that it would be more effective if The Mandarin would be like "uh hey Magneto, I have someone you could take out for me, his name's Tony Stark and uh....he said ....that he really hates mutants...yeah, that's the ticket".

Sorry, I just want to see what could possibly be a really lop-sided fight of Iron Man vs Magneto.

Foolish Mortal
10-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Well, Jared, now I'm really interested, 'cause that just sounds fanboy-gasmic, though I imagine Magneto would gain an easy win.
It's not so much a fight really, but more Magneto's speech he delivers to the Skull and makes him painfully aware of who and what he is. Great scene.

Oh, and Dr. Doom owns.

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 06:44 AM
It's an interesting premise, villains switching up against their normal adversaries. Though I thought that it would be more effective if The Mandarin would be like "uh hey Magneto, I have someone you could take out for me, his name's Tony Stark and uh....he said ....that he really hates mutants...yeah, that's the ticket".

Sorry, I just want to see what could possibly be a really lop-sided fight of Iron Man vs Magneto.

Dude's a "futurist," shouldn't he have some sort of Plastic Armor prototype in the event that, you know, Magneto acts like Magneto and threatens his entire species once more which, being a member of said species, he may want to intervene?

Foolish Mortal
10-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Dude's a "futurist," shouldn't he have some sort of Plastic Armor prototype in the event that, you know, Magneto acts like Magneto and threatens his entire species once more which, being a member of said species, he may want to intervene?
Iron Man has come up with some "Anti-Magneto" protocols in the past, but with mixed success.

The thing to keep in mind about Magneto's power is he's learned to manipulate any kind of energy that's in the electromagnetic spectrum. He's not strictly limited to magnetism alone anymore.

DaveCummings
10-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Iron Man has come up with some "Anti-Magneto" protocols in the past, but with mixed success.

The thing to keep in mind about Magneto's power is he's learned to manipulate any kind of energy that's in the electromagnetic spectrum. He's not strictly limited to magnetism alone anymore.

That and even if Tony uses just a fraction of metal in his armor, Magneto can use it against him. The best bet Tony has is if he knows he has to face him in advance, he'd devise some kind of power dampening device on him.

Marcdachamp
10-01-2008, 06:59 AM

He tried it once, but nixed it when he realized there already is a Plastic Man. ;-)

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 07:05 AM

Ah, I see.

Magneto's essentially one of the most dangerous "villains" alive then (cake is also delicious?).

He tried it once, but nixed it when he realized there already is a Plastic Man. ;-)

Ha.

Cth
10-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Yeah, some good moments..

Peter David had an interesting metatextual comment on the crossover being forced on his book at the time.

Hulk vs. Grey Gargoyle.. very quick fight.

Interesting strategy, but they could have picked some of the fights a little more intelligently.

Akira
10-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Ah, I see.

Magneto's essentially one of the most dangerous "villains" alive then (cake is also delicious?).

Pretty much. He detinated an EMP blackingout the entire eastern seaboard of the US and most of Europe at one point. And, if I'm not mistaken, he also almost switched the magnetic poles of the planet.

Christ Magneto is so fucking awesome.

As was mentioned earlier, tt wasn't much of a "fight". But you know Magneto doesn't forget grudges. And Skull is a Nazi. So you can imagine he wasn't too happy having to deal with him. ;)

I'm surprised that the gypsy Doom works with Skull as much as he does.

Kman00001
10-01-2008, 07:14 AM
I liked it at the time but it doesn't really hold up nowadays IMO. I'd like to see an updated version with today's talent.

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 07:16 AM
As was mentioned earlier, tt wasn't much of a "fight". But you know Magneto doesn't forget grudges. And Skull is a Nazi. So you can imagine he wasn't too happy having to deal with him. ;)

I'm surprised that the gypsy Doom works with Skull as much as he does.

Argh! I didn't immediately make that association. That must have been one hell of an exchange. I want this collected yesterday.

TheTravis!
10-01-2008, 07:37 AM
One of my all-time favorite crossovers. Wolverine versus the Mandarin was pretty awesome.

Akira
10-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Argh! I didn't immediately make that association. That must have been one hell of an exchange. I want this collected yesterday.

If you really can't wait to see some highlighs:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/jmoore257/367-1.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/jmoore257/cap3672nd.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/jmoore257/cap367holdit.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/jmoore257/cap367trapped.jpg

Magneto: certified bad-ass.

joshdahl
10-01-2008, 07:48 AM

MOTHER-FUCK-YES!!!

Red Skull: There was a time when your people would have been exterminated

Magneto: There was a time when your people tried.

He loves you,

Josh Dahl

DaveCummings
10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Christ Magneto is so fucking awesome.

Which is why though I loved Morrison's X-Men run, I don't really side with the people who bitched about Magneto returning. I mean for one, Magneto is far too good of a villain to stay dead. And secondly, I didn't really care for Morrison's take on Magneto, aside from him posing as Xorn. I like the Magneto that isn't as insanely villainous. I like the Magneto that despite his actions, you can easily see his point of view. I couldn't find myself agreeing with Magneto's actions in the end of Morrison's run.

Marcdachamp
10-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Which is why though I loved Morrison's X-Men run, I don't really side with the people who bitched about Magneto returning. I mean for one, Magneto is far too good of a villain to stay dead. And secondly, I didn't really care for Morrison's take on Magneto, aside from him posing as Xorn. I like the Magneto that isn't as insanely villainous. I like the Magneto that despite his actions, you can easily see his point of view. I couldn't find myself agreeing with Magneto's actions in the end of Morrison's run.

You weren't supposed to. He was a Magneto pushed to the brink by the loss of his powers, using a drug to simulate them which he wasn't aware was controlling his actions.

Still, I loved the idea that Magneto was more powerful in death than in life. Morrison beautifully nailed the concept of Magneto. I loved that he became a t-shirt.

I really wish that issue was at least collected. Damn, what a great scene.

Akira
10-01-2008, 08:44 AM

Ditto. The retcon worked fine for me. Especially since I didn't care for anything Morrison did on the X-books from Assault on Weapon Plus on.

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
If you really can't wait to see some highlighs:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/jmoore257/367-1.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/jmoore257/cap3672nd.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/jmoore257/cap367holdit.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/jmoore257/cap367trapped.jpg

Magneto: certified bad-ass.

Um...wow!

Thanks for that.

c. page
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
yeah, i have fond memories of this one. a lot of good stuff in there, and i wouldn't mind seeing it collected.

Foolish Mortal
10-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Um...wow!

Thanks for that.
'Cap Wolf' aside, Mark Gruenwald was a great writer.

Doug
10-01-2008, 09:28 AM
No mention of Cosmic Spidey yet? That is really the only part of the crossover I read.

Magento realizing that Spidey is not a mutant is pretty cool, plus I really like the cover of Amazing by McFarlane where Cosmic powered Spidey is punching the Hulk.

c. page
10-01-2008, 09:35 AM

i think somewhere around the 370s his run started going down hill (wasn't the superia strategem part of his run, as well as armored cap?)

Lyfeforce
10-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Ah, I see.

Ha.

He's actually depowered and had to use some sort of suit to mimic his powers in his last scrap with the X-Men.

The cake is a lie, bitch! ;)

c. page
10-01-2008, 09:40 AM
No mention of Cosmic Spidey yet? That is really the only part of the crossover I read.

Magento realizing that Spidey is not a mutant is pretty cool, plus I really like the cover of Amazing by McFarlane where Cosmic powered Spidey is punching the Hulk.

there's also a great bit with doom sending titania after spider-man that was interesting in there.

c. page
10-01-2008, 09:41 AM
He's actually depowered and had to use some sort of suit to mimic his powers in his last scrap with the X-Men.

interesting but also unfortunate. mags was really getting a bit too powerful near the end there, but i still liked him as a powered up adversary.

NickT
10-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I didn't have a problem with his return, just how it was handled.

Lanowar
10-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Was a huge crossover, it be amazing to see it collected!

Still remember reading the tie-in with the X-Men where just at the end Loki tries to recruit Apocalypse to join and he's like "No, I don't want to I got my own thing going on" and the two have a little fight.

Lyfeforce
10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
interesting but also unfortunate. mags was really getting a bit too powerful near the end there, but i still liked him as a powered up adversary.

I agree. Magneto is one of the most interesting and complex characters in comicdom and it has nothing to do with his powers.

MaccLad
10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
It was neat to see The Punisher survive an encounter with Doctor Doom with a plausible explaination of why Doom didn't simply incinerate him.

Akira
10-01-2008, 09:49 AM

I loved his absurd power level. It made it seem as though the entire world was able to exist simply on his whim.. Bad. Ass.

Jew Mafia
10-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Yeah, that was some of my favorite stuff when I was a kid. I've always liked the issues of spidey where he gets to let loose.

http://www.hulkmovie.com/images/hulkmash/Amazing_Spiderman_32819.jpg
http://www.hulkmovie.com/images/hulkmash/Amazing_Spiderman_32820.jpg

c. page
10-01-2008, 10:02 AM
I loved his absurd power level. It made it seem as though the entire world was able to exist simply on his whim.. Bad. Ass.

it started getting to the point (to me at least) where the x-men really shouldn't have been able to beat him.

i mean, when he can freeze you in place by manipulating the iron in your bloodstream...

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Cap Wolf fighting Wolverine is one of the first comics I ever owned. Ah, the memories.

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 10:06 AM

Yeah, #500 in which High Evolutionary made the suit for him. I remember than indeed (well, it's only been two months, so that might have something to do with it).

Oh, and what's your deal with the cake. It's fantastic. Do you also hate rainbows?

c. page
10-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Cap Wolf fighting Wolverine is one of the first comics I ever owned. Ah, the memories.

man, you grew up with some crappy comics... ;)

Lyfeforce
10-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah, #500 in which High Evolutionary made the suit for him. I remember than indeed (well, it's only been two months, so that might have something to do with it).

Oh, and what's your deal with the cake. It's fantastic. Do you also hate rainbows?

It's interesting to see the High Evolutionary back on the stage as well. When's the last time anyone heard of him?

Pie's better.

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 10:12 AM
man, you grew up with some crappy comics... ;)

I was four - Cap as a werewolf and a Spider-Man with blonde hair and a hoodie? Fuck yeah!

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 10:13 AM
It's interesting to see the High Evolutionary back on the stage as well. When's the last time anyone heard of him?

The Spider-Woman mini by Bendis/Reed (well, that was set in the past)?

The Alan Davis run on X-Men, pre-Claremont return 2000?

Pie's better.

I refuse to accept this as your answer.

c. page
10-01-2008, 10:13 AM
I was four - Cap as a werewolf and a Spider-Man with blonde hair and a hoodie? Fuck yeah!

damn, now i really feel old.

Doug
10-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah, that was some of my favorite stuff when I was a kid. I've always liked the issues of spidey where he gets to let loose.

http://www.hulkmovie.com/images/hulkmash/Amazing_Spiderman_32819.jpg
http://www.hulkmovie.com/images/hulkmash/Amazing_Spiderman_32820.jpg

That is some sweet Toddy Mac art from back in the day.

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 10:15 AM
damn, now i really feel old.

Dude. You're in your twenties, right? C'mon. I'm in my twenties too. See. Let's hug and talk about awful '90s superhero gimmicks.

Doug
10-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Dude. You're in your twenties, right? C'mon. I'm in my twenties too. See. Let's hug and talk about awful '90s superhero gimmicks.

Ploybagged Chromium Covers!

Lyfeforce
10-01-2008, 10:30 AM
I refuse to accept this as your answer.

You've never seen someone have a cake fight.

Pies: both offensive and defensive devices.

Akira
10-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Ploybagged Chromium Covers!

Rub The Blood!!!

Doug
10-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Rub The Blood!!!

:surrend: You win.

But I still have Die-Cut Glow-in-the-Dark Covers with trading cards!

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Acts was one of my first crossovers I bought off the shelves. Either that or Atlantis Attacks.

Acts of Vengeance was good because as someone who was kind of new to Marvel at large, I got to see a ton of bad guys who were new to me. Not only that, but these villains were purposely fighting heroes that they normally don't or perhaps had never encountered before. You had Spider-man versus Magneto, Thor versus Juggernaut, and more. You also had a council of more high profile bad guys directing traffic. Kingpin, Mandarin, Red Skull, Magneto all together which is something you kind of assumed happened all the time like the Legion of Doom or Secret Society, but really didn't work that way at Marvel.

One of the coolest parts was:

Magneto and Red Skull. Magneto being a Holocaust survivor was very much interested in getting close to the Red Skull to see if he was indeed the same man from WWII and to see about finishing him off (as he did to former Nazis from time to time through the 80s). So there was a whole Captain America issue that was Red Skull trying to avoid being killed by Magneto. But that's not an easy thing to do and the Skull almost died in an unknown location.

There's no tpb for this yet, and I don't really know what would be in it since there's no real bookends or anything. It definitely ends in West Coast Avengers though. And I think it would probably be a very appropriate thing to collect here soon.

Akira
10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
There's no tpb for this yet, and I don't really know what would be in it since there's no real bookends or anything. It definitely ends in West Coast Avengers though. And I think it would probably be a very appropriate thing to collect here soon.
Secret Wars II is getting a freeking omnibus, but we can't even get a TPB for this or Atlantis Attacks? Throw us a bone Marvel Trades Dept! :)

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Secret Wars II is getting a freeking omnibus, but we can't even get a TPB for this or Atlantis Attacks? Throw us a bone Marvel Trades Dept! :)

I have been out there behind the scenes asking for stuff like Byrne West Coast Avengers where Scarlet Witch was loopy, Secret Wars II, Marvel Boy, and Acts for a while now. I don't dare claim that I had anything to do with those stories that actually have been printed, BUT you know that I have a way of making points and giving convincing reasons. So I will get back on the Acts bandwagon with my contacts.

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 11:31 AM
You've never seen someone have a cake fight.

Pies: both offensive and defensive devices.

Um, maybe you've never killed a man with cake, but don't speak for the rest of us...yeah.

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Rub The Blood!!!

I can't I bought the "boobs and guns" variant instead of the bloody one. Apparently, the boobs glow in the dark and the guns are 3-D. Or vice-versa. I don't know anymore.

So I will get back on the Acts bandwagon with my contacts.

Use that clout, sir. I want to read this desperately.

Akira
10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I have been out there behind the scenes asking for stuff like Byrne West Coast Avengers where Scarlet Witch was loopy, Secret Wars II, Marvel Boy, and Acts for a while now. I don't dare claim that I had anything to do with those stories that actually have been printed, BUT you know that I have a way of making points and giving convincing reasons. So I will get back on the Acts bandwagon with my contacts.

Well SW II is coming and Marvel Boy is back in print. So I'm gonna say you have a direct pipeline ;)

Did that West Coast Avengers trade come back out? If so I'd say Acts is a given at this point.

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Well SW II is coming and Marvel Boy is back in print. So I'm gonna say you have a direct pipeline ;)

Did that West Coast Avengers trade come back out? If so I'd say Acts is a given at this point.

Yes, it was called...Darker than Scarlet. I just checked to see if we had a copy and we do.

I still don't have the issue of West Coast where they fought the U-foes...

Masculine Todd
10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
bump for the night crowd

DrMachine
10-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I seem to remember being very disappointed in this as a kid, and that was at the height of my marvel zombie phase.

Akira
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, it was called...Darker than Scarlet. I just checked to see if we had a copy and we do.

I still don't have the issue of West Coast where they fought the U-foes...

Ok, now that you mention the name, I think I've seen it around. Giant Wanda with the Avengers dangling from her hand?

ChuckMcButcalf
10-01-2008, 06:28 PM

Pie's better.

Shame on you for not reading Anihillation: Conquest!

morlock with a day pass
10-01-2008, 06:30 PM
i bought every issue of this crossover. EVERY ISSUE. i believe the thor issues featured the first appearance of the new warriors. oh and power pack? they fought typhoid mary! greatest crossover ever!

morlock with a day pass
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
on second thought, the fantastic four tie-in was lousy. bunch of talking heads issues. wtf walt simonson? you owe the junior high school me about 3 bucks.

dEnny!
10-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I liked the Spidey issues.

Ron Salas
10-01-2008, 09:19 PM
The Thor issues were great with a Thor vs Juggernaut fighting in a two-parter. That Ron Frenz art inked by Joe Sinnott makes you think Kirby was alive again.

c. page
10-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I can't I bought the "boobs and guns" variant instead of the bloody one. Apparently, the boobs glow in the dark and the guns are 3-D. Or vice-versa. I don't know anymore.

Use that clout, sir. I want to read this desperately.

i find that terribly funny...

Masculine Todd
10-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Now I really want to read this.

Made It Ma!
10-11-2009, 10:00 AM
An Omnibus is on the way (http://www.amazon.com/Acts-Vengeance-Omnibus-Mark-Gruenwald/dp/0785144641/ref=pd_sim_b_98)

I like that Marvel is making these old crossovers like this, Inferno, and Secret Wars 2 available...even if they are pricey. Definitely going to pick this one up.

Sarcoidosis
10-11-2009, 09:41 PM
An Omnibus is on the way (http://www.amazon.com/Acts-Vengeance-Omnibus-Mark-Gruenwald/dp/0785144641/ref=pd_sim_b_98)

I like that Marvel is making these old crossovers like this, Inferno, and Secret Wars 2 available...even if they are pricey. Definitely going to pick this one up.
A good deal of Acts of Vengeance can also be found as a part of unrelated and recent trades. Byrne on West Coast Avengers, David on Incredible Hulk, Thor in New Warriors Classic, Simonson on Fantastic Four, and Wolverine Classic are the ones I know off the top of my head.

Cosmic Spidey was printed as a trading before modern trade collections started, so I imagine you wouldn't be able to find it.

Anyway, at this point it almost makes more sense, at least from a trade paperback point of view, for Acts of Vengeance to continue showing up as part of trades collecting larger storylines on certain titles. I'd certainly appreciate not having to re-buy half of the material again.

Taxman
10-11-2009, 09:52 PM
But no Punisher issues.

I wonder whether a Galactic Storm Omnibus is in the works.

Spidey616
10-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I think it's time for a return of the Tri-Seninel! ;)

The Crushtacean
10-11-2009, 10:09 PM
But no Punisher issues.

I wonder whether a Galactic Storm Omnibus is in the works.

Galactic Storm has already been released as a pair of trades, and I don't believe they sold particularly well, so I wouldn't guess so. I'd expect maybe Maximum Security first.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
10-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Galactic Storm has already been released as a pair of trades, and I don't believe they sold particularly well, so I wouldn't guess so. I'd expect maybe Maximum Security first.

The a good bulk of Maximum Security was collected in the Avengers Assemble hardcovers.

hamgravy
10-12-2009, 06:05 AM
Ditto. The retcon worked fine for me. Especially since I didn't care for anything Morrison did on the X-books from Assault on Weapon Plus on.

Agreed.

In terms of Acts of Vengeance, I also remember sort of enjoying the Simonson FF issues with the team being attacked by every mort in the MU as meta-solution to the crossover.

But, not good enough to be collected in the Omnibus.

Masculine Todd
10-12-2009, 06:32 AM
F'n rad. It's been a year since I posted this thread and I've been itching to read this.

artimoff
10-12-2009, 07:36 AM

Man, It's missing the Daredevil vs. Ultron issues. That sucks!

Sarcoidosis
10-12-2009, 07:48 AM
That might have had something to do with the fact that a lot of the pages were printed in the wrong order. It was a rather shoddy assembly. I know I told a few people not to bother.

Akira
10-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Seriously? That the hell? Hopefully it's a typo.

Pick The System!
10-12-2009, 08:11 AM

Those are my favorite issues from this event...

artimoff
10-12-2009, 08:24 AM
The X-Men issues arn't in there either.

Pick The System!
10-12-2009, 08:27 AM
The X-Men issues arn't in there either.

:frustrat:

Lanowar
10-12-2009, 08:29 AM
It's missing issues? Boo I say If I was going to pay that much for a collected story I would like to think I was getting all issues of said event.

tstrapac
10-12-2009, 08:44 AM
People, this is a amazon fish/placeholder/ghost listing.

No need to get your panties in a bunch until an actual solicit appears.

Then it's time to get your panties in a bunch.

hamgravy
10-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Those are my favorite issues from this event...

Mine too - Ann Nocenti took him on one weird-ass trip.

Weren't they also around the same time as Inferno and DD VS Mephisto/ Blackheart?

I need to re-read those as an adult.

Taxman
10-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Seriously? That the hell? Hopefully it's a typo.No there were core issues and them more fringe issues. The core issues had the big banner at the top

http://image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/87387731330.411.FRENZ.SIGN.GIF

the fringe issues had a corner marker

http://image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/65894733778.28.GIF

They crossed the story into almost everything. There are so many fringe issues as to make the story uncollectible. Some of them really barely related to the main story.

Omnibus seems to collect all of the core issues.

Just to illustrate how voluminous a crossover it was, here possibly a full list of all core and fringe issues. Todd can start buying up the fringe stuff now.

Avengers Spotlight#26 (December, 1989) - Dwayne McDuffie (writer), Dwayne Turner (pencils), Chris Ivy (inks), Mark Gruenwald (editor) 8 )
Alpha Flight I#79-80 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - James Hudnall (writer), John Calimee (pencils), Mike Manley (inks), Carl Potts (#79), Marcus McLaurin (#80) & Danny Fingeroth (editor)
Amazing Spider-Man I#326-329 (December, 1989 - February, 1990) - David Michelinie (writer), Colleen Doran (#326), Erik Larsen (#327, #329) & Todd McFarlane (#328 ) (pencils), Andy Mushynsky (#326, #329), Al Gordon (#327) & Todd McFarlane (#328 ) (inks), Jim Salicrup (editor)
Avengers I#311-313 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - John Byrne (writer), Paul Ryan (pencils), Tom Palmer (inks), Howard Mackie (editor)
Avengers Spotlight#27-28 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Howard Mackie (#27/1, 28/1), Dwayne McDuffie (#27/2, 28/2) (writer), Al Milgrom (27/1, 28/1), Dwayne Turner (27/2, 28/2), Don Heck (#27/1, 28/1), Chris Ivy (27/2, 28/2), Mark Gruenwald & Gregory Wright (editor)
Avengers Spotlight#29 (February, 1990) - Howard Mackie & James Brock (#29/1), Dwayne McDuffie (#29/2) (writer), James Brock (29/1), Dwayne Turner (29/2), Roy Richardson (#29/1), Chris Ivy (29/2), Mark Gruenwald & Gregory Wright (editor)
Avengers West Coast#53-55 (December, 1989 - February, 1990) - John Byrne (writer/pencils), Keith Williams (#53), Paul Ryan (#54, #55) (inks), Howard Mackie (editor)
Captain America I#365-367 (December, 1989 - February, 1990) - Mark Gruenwald (writer), Kieron Dwyer (#365/1, 367/1), Mark Bright (#365/2), Ron Lim (#366/1), Mark Bagley (#366/2, 367/2) (pencils), Danny Bulanadi (#365/1-367/2), Don Hudson (#365/2-367/2), Ralph Macchio (editor)
Cloak and Dagger III#9 (December, 1989) - Terry Austin (writer), Mike Vosburg (pencils), Don Cameron (inks), Danny Fingeroth (editor)
Damage Control II#1-4 (December, 1989 - February, 1990) - Dwayne McDuffie (writer), Ernie Colon (pencils/inks), Stan Drake (#4) & Marie Severine (#4) (inks), Sid Jacobson (editor)
Daredevil I#275-276 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Ann Nocenti (writer), John Romita Jr. (pencils), Al Williamson (inks), Ralph Macchio (editor)
Dr.Strange III#11-13 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Roy & Dann Thomas (writer), Jackson Guice (pencils/inks), Ralph Macchio, Mike Rockwitz & Tom DeFalco (editor)
Fantastic Four I#334-336 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Walter Simonson (writer), Rich Buckler (#334-335) & Ron Lim (#336) (pencils), Romeo Tanhal (#334-335) & Mike DeCarlo (#336) (inks), Ralph Macchio (editor)
Incredible Hulk II#363 (December, 1989) - Peter David (writer), Jeff Purves (pencils), Marie Severin (inks), Bobbie Chase (editor)
Iron Man I#250 (December, 1989) - David Michelinie & Bob Layton (writer), Bob Layton (pencils/inks), Howard Mackie (editor)
Iron Man I#251-252 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Dwayne McDuffie (writer), Herb Trimpe (pencils), Al Milgrom (inks), Howard Mackie (editor)
Moon Knight III#8-10 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Chuck Dixon (writer), Sal Velluto (pencils), Tom Palmer (#8-9) & Keith Williams (#10) (inks), Danny Fingeroth (editor)
New Mutants I#84-86 (December, 1989 - February, 1990) - Louise Simonson (writer), Terry Shoemaker (#84), Geoff Isherwood (#85) & Rob Liefeld (#86) (pencils), Al Milgrom (#84), Bret Blevins (#85) & Bob Wiacek (#86) (inks), Bob Harras & Tom DeFalco (editor)
Power Pack I#53 (January, 1990) - Terry Austin (writer), Ernie Colon (pencils/inks), Daniel Chichester (editor)
Punisher II#28-29 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Mike Baron (writer), Bill Reinhold (pencils), Mark Farmer (inks), Don Daley (editor)
Punisher War Journal#12-13 (December, 1989) - Carl Potts (writer), Jim Lee (#12) & David Ross (#13) (pencils), Don Hudson (#12), Al Milgrom (#12) & Russ Heath (#13) (inks), Rob Tokar & Don Daley (editor)
Quasar#5-6 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Mark Gruenwald (writer), Paul Ryan (pencils), Danny Bulanadi (inks), Howard Mackie (editor)
Spectacular Spider-Man II#158-160 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Gerry Conway (writer), Sal Buscema & Mike Esposito (#158-159) (pencils), Mike Esposito & Sal Buscema (#160) (inks), Tom DeFalco, Jim Salicrup & Glenn Herdling (#159-160) (editor)
Thor I#411-412 (December, 1989) - Ron Frenz & Tom DeFalco (writer), Ron Frenz (pencils), Joe Sinnott (inks), Ralph Macchio (editor)
Web of Spider-Man#59-61 (December, 1989 - February, 1990) - Gerry Conway (writer), Alex Saviuk (pencils), Keith Williams (inks), Tom DeFalco, Jim Salicrup & Glenn Herdling (#60) (editor)
Uncanny X-Men#256-258 (December, 1989 - February, 1990) - Chris Claremont (writer), Jim Lee (pencils), Scott Williams (#256, #258 ), Joe Rubinstein (#257-258 ) (inks), Daryl Edelman & Bob Harras (editor)
Wolverine II#19-20 (December, 1989 - January, 1990) - Archie Goodwin (writer), John Byrne (pencils/inks), Klaus Janson (#20) (inks), Daryl Edelman & Bob Harras (editor)
X-Factor I#50 (January, 1990) - Louise Simonson (writer), Terry Shoemaker (pencils), Hilary Barta (inks), Daryl Edelman & Bob Harras (editor)

Source (http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/actsveng.htm)

Lord Jermaine Retail
10-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I NEVER realized that the core issues had the full banner and the tie-ins just had a cornerpiece. What else have I failed to notice over the years? :surrend:

sharp1
10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
I think I had everything on this one, but with so many issue, I can't be sure. I at least had MOST of them.

Even though it's only a speculative listing, I would doubt that so many issue could reasonably fit into a single volume. I would bet that it's more or less accurate. Too bad because some of the somewhat tangential stories were better in my mind, at least. Punisher, Punisher War Journal (Punisher v Bushwacker by Jim Lee!), Daredevil, and X-Men come to mind immediately.

cmoney
10-12-2009, 10:06 AM
People, this is a amazon fish/placeholder/ghost listing.

No need to get your panties in a bunch until an actual solicit appears.

Then it's time to get your panties in a bunch.

When they've got copy and issue listings, they're usually accurate.

Taxman
10-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I NEVER realized that the core issues had the full banner and the tie-ins just had a cornerpiece. What else have I failed to notice over the years? :surrend:The second Damage Control series had the full banner, but was apparently not considered a core title.

tstrapac
10-12-2009, 10:23 AM
When they've got copy and issue listings, they're usually accurate.

Like the Iron Man Omnibus that's 19 issues and only 344 pages for $40?

I think you might be mistaken.

cmoney
10-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Like the Iron Man Omnibus that's 19 issues and only 344 pages for $40?

I think you might be mistaken.

We think what we think, guess we'll find out. Is it more likely that they mis-listed the page/price numbers or the actual issues contained?

Pick The System!
10-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Mine too - Ann Nocenti took him on one weird-ass trip.

Weren't they also around the same time as Inferno and DD VS Mephisto/ Blackheart?

I need to re-read those as an adult.

Yeah - there were a few story lines packed close together @ AOV.

tstrapac
10-12-2009, 01:29 PM
We think what we think, guess we'll find out. Is it more likely that they mis-listed the page/price numbers or the actual issues contained?

In the specific case of the Iron Man Omnibus, the page number and price are probably wrong as issue #19 is the last issue of a 12 part story. There is no way in hell Marvel will release a 19 issue Omnibus for $39.99, so I am assuming the price and page count are wrong.

I am not saying the info the the AoV Omnibus is wrong, I am just saying if there are "missing issues," no one should get too upset yet, as it has not been solicited and ghost info from amazon should be be trusted 100%

costello
10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
I liked it at the time but it doesn't really hold up nowadays IMO. I'd like to see an updated version with today's talent.

We're practically there with Civil War and Dark Reign.

I love Acts of Vengeance. It's like the fun stuff we have now, but with late 80s cheese. Anyone remember Avenger island? And I love how Stark gets blamed for everything.

costello
10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Taxman, you're missing some of the aftermath issues, plys NM was at least 6 issues long.

Taxman
10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Taxman, you're missing some of the aftermath issues, plys NM was at least 6 issues long.Submit it to the listed source if you are interested. I just wanted to show that there were many tie-ins.