PDA

View Full Version : Sony, DeLuca gear up for 'War Heroes'

Tim Simmons
09-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Sony, DeLuca gear up for 'War'
Studio to adapt comic book for bigscreen
By MARC GRASER
Sony has picked up Mark Millar's comicbook "War Heroes" for Michael DeLuca to produce.

Studio's Columbia Pictures is currently seeking a writer to adapt the books, which revolve around an experimental military program that gives ordinary soldiers superpowers. When a small group of recruits break off to use these powers for a criminal enterprise, a hero rises from their ranks to prevent catastrophic results.

Several studios had been vying for the six-part property, which began publishing in June through Image Comics.

Millar will be an executive producer on the pic, along with Zach Schiff Abrams.

Comicbook vet is hot in Hollywood after Universal scored this summer with an adaptation of his graphic novel "Wanted." His "Kick-Ass" is currently lensing with Matthew Vaughn at the helm.

A sequel to "Wanted" is in the works at U.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992988.html

Rod Nunley
09-26-2008, 01:39 PM
What the fuck. How are Millar's books getting fast tracked while we still wait for Y The Last Man, Powers, and too many more to name.

Congrats to Millar for the sale ... but didn't the 2nd issue just hit the stands? Shouldn't the story be complete before it gets sold to a studio?

Next week Dreamworks is going to option an idea Millar had on the toilet yesterday. ;)

Len Snark
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Will there be a giant cock in it?

Rod Nunley
09-26-2008, 02:00 PM

:scared:

Hochler
09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
A giant CGI cock.

Criden
09-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Weird, they spoil something potentially big that hasn't happened in the book yet. No, not the huge cock, that already happened.

Howlett
09-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Can't say this news pleases me. Congrats to Millar and all, of course. But on my list of comics I'd like to see adapted, this is nowhere on the list. In fact, I'll be honest, I could do without the comic right now too, since it seems to be affecting Ex Machina's schedule and art.

Adrian B AWESOME
09-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Wow...more Millar stuff made into a movie. I'm so surprised. And obviously jealous since I'm making snide comments about it.

Artie Pink
09-26-2008, 02:14 PM

Like Russell Crowe?

Ray G.
09-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Weird, they spoil something potentially big that hasn't happened in the book yet. No, not the huge cock, that already happened.

Same thing happened with Kick-Ass.

At this point, I think it's pretty clear he's writing these for the movies. They're all about the same length and come across as instantly cinematic. I just wish they wouldn't spoil the fucking comics.

mario
09-26-2008, 02:26 PM

was that in the comic? So of course it's not gonna be in the movie

Maxwell
09-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Shit, why can't a freaking series be finished before they announce the movie project?

It's great that Millar has found his niche and it's fantastic that he is probably extremely successful as a result, but I don't like comic books merely being a stepping stone to the movie industry.

NickT
09-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Same thing happened with Kick-Ass.

At this point, I think it's pretty clear he's writing these for the movies. They're all about the same length and come across as instantly cinematic. I just wish they wouldn't spoil the fucking comics.
Its not pretty clear. For starters Kick Ass is 8 issues while War Heroes is 6. Secondly what exactly does "instantly cinematic" mean? What exactly is instantly cinematic about the penis scene in War Heroes, or Kick Ass being a violent sweary movie full of kids? Lots of people do isntantly cinematic to some degree or another, why not give them shit?

Auguste Miller
09-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Sony cool !

Not too wild about producer Michael De Luca's credits though at all
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006894/

Ray G.
09-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Its not pretty clear. For starters Kick Ass is 8 issues while War Heroes is 6. Secondly what exactly does "instantly cinematic" mean? What exactly is instantly cinematic about the penis scene in War Heroes, or Kick Ass being a violent sweary movie full of kids? Lots of people do isntantly cinematic to some degree or another, why not give them shit?

You don't see a bit of similarity between the sensibility of Wanted, Kick-Ass, and War Heroes?

It's all the same kind of overly cynical deconstruction of superheroes, vigilantes, and superpowers.

And the "instantly cinematic" was a compliment to the fact that the artists all seem to be very good at capturing a cinematic feel. Say what you will about these three(and I think they're all incredibly compelling but very flawed), but Millar's choices of artists are pretty top-notch.