PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Springsteen

Masculine Todd
09-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I think he needs a thread. I think he and the E Street Boys deserve a thread.

So, The Boss. Amazing Americana Rock artist.

I'm currently listening to the low-fi, man-and-his-guitar acoustic album, Nebraska, and these portraits of desperate Americans at turning points are chilling. It's my favorite album by Springsteen.

WillieLee
09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Well.

Rod Nunley
Nebraska isn't just your favorite ... it his absolute best album. Just haunting songs on that album.

Doc Randy
Nebraska is probably my all-time favorite album.

I genuinely think Springsteen is one of the greatest economical storytellers in American history. And his storytelling albums are all fantastic.

And I am more amazed that a man that is so successful and so wealthy can have so much empathy and understanding of the down-trodden. I love the guy and his work. I love how he frequently pops in to soup kitchens, rescue organizations, and charities while on tour and gives them big ass checks. No press. No photos. No fanfare. Just taking some of his enormous earnings every night and giving back to those in need. We only hear about this stuff afterwords. The guy is the definition of class... a shining example of a celebrity using their fame to do great things.

I wish there were more people like him.

RickLM
09-25-2008, 06:08 PM
That was the first Springsteen album I ever listened to. I'm usually not a fan of acoustic music (even Dylan) but that album is an absolute wonder. Sean Penn even made a movie out of one of the songs.

My favorite Bruce album is The River, which came just before Nebraska.

Formal Batman
09-25-2008, 06:14 PM
It's just fate that the day I register at this board, someone starts up a thread about my favorite musician ever.

Nebraska is certainly a great album, but I've been listening to Devils and Dust a lot recently and after initially not loving it I now think it's some of his best work. "The Hitter" is probably the best song he's written since "Born in the USA." "Jesus Was An Only Son" is up there too.

Of course, that's just one board newbie's opinion.

costello
09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I need to listen to more Bruce. My favorite album is Live in Dublin.

Mr. E!
09-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I saw Bruce on his Devils and Dust tour three years ago, and it was amazing. It was just him on stage with a (different) guitar for every song. It was spellbinding.

Doc Randy
09-25-2008, 06:19 PM
I like how his music generally falls into two styles:

- The quieter storytelling style on Nebraska, Tunnel of Love, The Ghost of Tom Joad, Devils & Dust
- The raucus bar band stylings of Born to Run, The River, Born in the USA, The Rising, Magic.

I like both styles, but I tend to prefer the quieter stuff. Even the louder material always sounded better to me when it was stripped down.

The thing I have been enjoying a lot lately is the DVD, LIVE IN DUBLIN. It is a fantastic DVD with a great band. I actually like all of his concert DVDs. Can't go wrong with The Boss live.

Mr. E!
09-25-2008, 06:21 PM

- The quieter storytelling style on Nebraska, Tunnel of Love, The Ghost of Tom Joad, Devils & Dust
- The raucus bar band stylings of Born to Run, The River, Born in the USA, The Rising, Magic.

I like both styles, but I tend to prefer the quieter stuff. Even the louder material always sounded better to me when it was stripped down.

The thing I have been enjoying a lot lately is the DVD, LIVE IN DUBLIN. It is a fantastic DVD with a great band. I actually like all of his concert DVDs. Can't go wrong with The Boss live.

Sirius radio has had an all Springsteen channel for the last 6 months. Album cuts, b-sides, entire concerts from every part of his career. It has become my go-to station.

Masculine Todd
09-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Well.

Oh, most definitely.

Formal Batman
09-25-2008, 06:32 PM

I listen to the album a lot but I've never gotten around to the DVD. When I saw him at the Garden last October he brought some of the Sessions Band out for the last number and they did "American Land". They put the lyrics up on the giant screens and the entire place was clapping and singing along with every word, it was easily the most amazing concert experience of my life, and I've been to quite a few. No one puts on a show quite like The Boss.

AndrewG
09-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Nebraska is probably my all-time favorite album.

I genuinely think Springsteen is one of the greatest economical storytellers in American history. And his storytelling albums are all fantastic.

And I am more amazed that a man that is so successful and so wealthy can have so much empathy and understanding of the down-trodden. I love the guy and his work. I love how he frequently pops in to soup kitchens, rescue organizations, and charities while on tour and gives them big ass checks. No press. No photos. No fanfare. Just taking some of his enormous earnings every night and giving back to those in need. We only hear about this stuff afterwords. The guy is the definition of class... a shining example of a celebrity using their fame to do great things.

I wish there were more people like him.

Took the words right out of my mouth except I'd pick Born to Run as my favorite album of his. Hell, they're all great, in my opinion

AndrewG
09-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I need to listen to more Bruce. My favorite album is Live in Dublin.

Great album. Great DVD

Shawn DePasquale
09-25-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.homepages.indiana.edu/111204/images/WEINBERG101804CM40.jpg

AndrewG
09-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Sirius radio has had an all Springsteen channel for the last 6 months. Album cuts, b-sides, entire concerts from every part of his career. It has become my go-to station.

I would justify my Sirius subscription for that channel alone. Love it.

Masculine Todd
09-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Both respective "Springsteens" are great, but I much prefer, subdued, pathos-appealing storytelling of "acoustic" or "reserved" Bruce.

Masculine Todd
09-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm quite ambivalent on Born in the USA. Of course, I empathize and get behind the patriotic anthems that only one devoid of a soul (or, not American...which I'm technically not, but, whatever) doesn't take to heart, but some of the instrumental compositions feel so antiquated and wreak of the decade they were birthed in.

Only real complaint about The Boss. Conversely, I find Magic, which received mixed reviews, was much better than it was given credit.

AndrewG
09-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Both respective "Springsteens" are great, but I much prefer, subdued, pathos-appealing storytelling of "acoustic" or "reserved" Bruce.

I think both styles are brilliant and listen to them equally I'd say but I probably prefer the more lively bar band style. They just pump me up while also making me think. Sometimes I get really bummed out listening to the more subdued Bruce. Not always a bad thing, but sometime you just want to hear 'Glory Days' and 'Waiting on a Sunny Day' at full blast, ya know?

AndrewG
09-25-2008, 07:41 PM
And I gotta say. I even love the Seeger Sessions album. He didn't write the songs, but damn how he's able use his style and get me into folk music for crying out loud. The kids go nuts for some of the songs on there.

Doc Randy
09-25-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm quite ambivalent on Born in the USA. Of course, I empathize and get behind the patriotic anthems that only one devoid of a soul (or, not American...which I'm technically not, but, whatever) doesn't take to heart, but some of the instrumental compositions feel so antiquated and wreak of the decade they were birthed in.

Only real complaint about The Boss. Conversely, I find Magic, which received mixed reviews, was much better than it was given credit.

???

Born in the USA is a very very subversive almost anti-patriotic song. Have you listened to the lyrics lately?

But yeah, I think some of the arrangements are pretty dated, especially the cheesy synth parts. That being said, his live versions of many of these songs are amazing. They played Dancing in the Dark on this last tour and it was stunning how good and different it was from the original.

PeterSparker
09-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, Nebraska is probably my favorite, but The River is a close, close second. And much love for Darkness At The Edge of Town as well. Honestly though, my favorite is really the 3-CD Live: 1975-85 collection. Each performance definitive, covering everything right through to the Born In the USA era. Amazing set!

I give him props most of all though for The Rising. As a New Yorker that album meant a hell of a lot when it first came out, and was just so brilliantly and passionately conceived. Even if I don't agree with all of his politics in life, he stepped up to his full responsibility as an artist and a citizen to make something that needed to be made.

AndrewG
09-25-2008, 07:50 PM
???

Born in the USA is a very very subversive almost anti-patriotic song. Have you listened to the lyrics lately?

But yeah, I think some of the arrangements are pretty dated, especially the cheesy synth parts. That being said, his live versions of many of these songs are amazing. They played Dancing in the Dark on this last tour and it was stunning how good and different it was from the original.

It's amazing how different some of the more 'pop' sounding songs, especially from that albumn, sound in concert. USA seems a bit more dated than the other albumns I think (mainly because of the synth sounds) but there are still a handful of excellent songs on it and 'My Hometown' always makes me teary eyed.

WillieLee
09-25-2008, 07:56 PM
???

What are you talking about? Those are some of the most uplifting pro-USA lyrics ever written. I mean, listen to that opener "Born down in a dead man's town, The first kick I took was when I hit the ground". Doesn't get more rah-rah than that.

RickLM
09-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, Born in the USA is a devastating critique of blind patriotism. Sometimes I think Bruce wrote it just to see how many people would miss the point.

AndrewG
09-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah, Born in the USA is a devastating critique of blind patriotism. Sometimes I think Bruce wrote it just to see how many people would miss the point.

And most people did. Didn't Reagan use it or try to use it during his campaign?

Masculine Todd
09-25-2008, 08:03 PM
???

That's the "contemporary patriotism." It's much more patriotic to question the social woes and injustice than to become complacent and allow it to fester, but I'd agree, it was highly subversive to be so bold about his criticisms in 1984.

ChuckMcButcalf
09-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Magic is a fantastic album. His best in years. Don't gloss over Born to Run though. It is as good as people have made it out to be. For a period, Darkness on the Edge of Town was my most played Bruce disc.

Colby
09-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Have you heard a recent live version of it (as in, this past decade)? He's completely recomposed it. Only the lyrics are the same. The composition on "Live in New York City" fits the song's subversive nature very well, and really brings the song into modern, "War on Terra!" America.

Sam Little
09-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Enough good things cannot be said about Springsteen. Born in the USA was the record that made me discover that entire albums could actually be fantastic and not just the singles. My favorite of his is The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. Everytime I listen to New York City Serenade I get the chills. The Tracks box set is just amazing too. There are entire albums worth of unused tracks that are like alternate reality versions of the albums that were released. Pure gold for Springsteen fans.

Mr. E!
09-26-2008, 02:06 AM
Yeah, Nebraska is probably my favorite, but The River is a close, close second. And much love for Darkness At The Edge of Town as well. Honestly though, my favorite is really the 3-CD Live: 1975-85 collection. Each performance definitive, covering everything right through to the Born In the USA era. Amazing set!

I give him props most of all though for The Rising. As a New Yorker that album meant a hell of a lot when it first came out, and was just so brilliantly and passionately conceived. Even if I don't agree with all of his politics in life, he stepped up to his full responsibility as an artist and a citizen to make something that needed to be made.

The 75-85 live set is incredible.

TIP
09-26-2008, 03:27 AM

Heh.

Ronald Reagan made the same mistake.

T

MIKE D
09-26-2008, 03:50 AM
I think he needs a thread. I think he and the E Street Boys deserve a thread.

So, The Boss. Amazing Americana Rock artist.

I'm currently listening to the low-fi, man-and-his-guitar acoustic album, Nebraska, and these portraits of desperate Americans at turning points are chilling. It's my favorite album by Springsteen.

That's still my favorite Springsteen album too. THE RIVER is a close second.

Roger
09-26-2008, 04:23 AM
born to run could be the greatest album of all time.

at least in the top 3.....no one could argue that.

Doug
09-26-2008, 04:45 AM

I agree with Mr. Sparker. Even though I live in NJ The Rising meant a lot to me. I would say that 90% of that album brought tears to my eyes the first time I listened. It really is amazing.

However my all time favorite Bruce song is Rosalita. I've seen him live a bunch of times, but he's only played Rosey once (in Giants Stadium maybe 5 years ago), and it was amazing.

Doug
09-26-2008, 04:47 AM
It's just fate that the day I register at this board, someone starts up a thread about my favorite musician ever.

Nebraska is certainly a great album, but I've been listening to Devils and Dust a lot recently and after initially not loving it I now think it's some of his best work. "The Hitter" is probably the best song he's written since "Born in the USA." "Jesus Was An Only Son" is up there too.

Of course, that's just one board newbie's opinion.

Welcome to the board.

You have good taste in music.

RebootedCorpse
09-26-2008, 04:57 AM
I officially declare Todd, The Awesome.

RebootedCorpse
09-26-2008, 05:04 AM
For me, Darkeness on the Edge of Town will always be my favorite, probably because it was the sound track of my "coming of age" (ugh, that sounds gay).
I'm sure I've said this before, but I consider Springsteen to be the J.D. Salinger of rock and Darkness is his Catcher in the Rye.

Patrick J
09-26-2008, 05:13 AM
I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I've met Bruce myself, more than a few times. Buddy a' mine's Dad owned a Car Dealership that used to rent out a Monster Truck. And Bruce lived in our area and he used to rent the Monster Truck maybe twice a year for his kids' birthday parties. And my friend and I would drive it over and help him set it all up. Good tipper.

Ran into him one or two other time at a Horse Ranch where my girlfriend (at the time) kept her Horse, and he apparently kept his horse(s?) there as well. He saw me around the barn and recognized me, didn't know my name but he recognized me as 'one of those Monster Truck guys.'

I try to stay on top of things since usually just before he goes on a major tour he'll do a handful of set-up, rehearsal shows at the Stone Pony or the Asbury Park Convention Hall for free to anyone who shows up. First come, first serve though and they usually tend to fill up quick.

Dwimmerling
09-26-2008, 05:15 AM
The tracks box set has some acoustic versions of his early stuff that are absolutely killer. The version of stolen car rocks, as opposed to the river version.
Also, there is a live boot of him playing mountain of love out there that kicks my ass.

Good stuff

Dwimmerling
09-26-2008, 05:18 AM
born to run could be the greatest album of all time.

at least in the top 3.....no one could argue that.

Born to run, Who's Next, and Dark Side of the Moon?

Thudpucker
02-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Springsteen covering AC/DC:

https://music.yahoo.com/news/bruce-springsteen-covers-ac-dc-in-australia--video-222854073.html?cache=clear

that bastard
02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
It's really hard to pick a best Springsteen album. For me it depends on the day. BORN TO RUN and GREETINGS I can listen to any time. NEBRASKA and GHOST OF TOM JOAD are moody and dark albums (as is THE RIVER). I don't know, man...He's an incredible musician.

I've seen him 4 times now, the first being in East Rutherford in '85 when I was twelve the most recent being a couple years ago here in Pittsburgh and the man hasn't slowed down on stage at all.

Little story: My grandparents had a summer house in Long Branch, New Jersey when I was growing up. My uncle Steve took me to go see Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. We were walking to the place, I can't remember the name of it, and he SWORE that Bruce Springsteen rode past us on his motorcycle. I thought he was full of shit but hell is Springsteen didn't get up there and play a couple songs with the Jukes.

Which also reminds me of this...

http://youtu.be/BeDAcDHjt7A

The Human Target
02-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Springsteen covering AC/DC:

https://music.yahoo.com/news/bruce-springsteen-covers-ac-dc-in-australia--video-222854073.html?cache=clear

If you want to get really discouraged about humanity, read the comments.

jason hissong
02-09-2014, 04:09 PM
I've been listening to Blinded by the Light a lot lately.

Jim Schnobrich
02-09-2014, 04:14 PM
It's really hard to pick a best Springsteen album.

Tunnel of Love, yo.

Edit: on the real, he's got so many great albums - The Wild..., Born To Run, Darkness, Nebraska.. Tunnel of Love is still my favorite, though.

Thudpucker
02-09-2014, 04:15 PM
If you want to get really discouraged about humanity, read the comments.

No way. I never, ever click on the comment section. :no:

that bastard
02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Tunnel of Love, yo.

Edit: on the real, he's got so many great albums - The Wild..., Born To Run, Darkness, Nebraska.. Tunnel of Love is still my favorite, though.

TUNNEL OF LOVE is great. That's the first one I owned when I was a kid.

Thudpucker
02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
It's hard to pick a favorite but the one I listen to most is probably 'Born to Run'.

'Thunder Road' has become my favorite song, it's just perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMB3M43AEpc

Thudpucker
02-09-2014, 04:26 PM
TUNNEL OF LOVE is great. That's the first one I owned when I was a kid.

'Brilliant Disguise' is a heartbreaking song. That's another one I had to be older to truly appreciate.

Masculine Todd
02-09-2014, 04:28 PM
He should rap. We're rapping in 2k14. I'd make a thread about him again if he were rapping.

Thudpucker
02-09-2014, 04:31 PM
He should rap. We're rapping in 2k14. I'd make a thread about him again if he were rapping.

2014 Todd is too cool for 2008 Todd.

Masculine Todd
02-09-2014, 05:02 PM
I dunno. 2008 Todd was still young and vibrant and 15 lbs slimmer.

RIP, young blood.

Rick America
02-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Depending on my mood: Born to Run; The Wild, The Innocent, and The E-Street Shuffle; and The Rising.

Jim Schnobrich
02-09-2014, 05:50 PM
The Rising is good but I think it probably could have been better had it been a tad shorter.

RickLM
02-09-2014, 06:01 PM
The River is the best double album ever.

Jim Schnobrich
02-09-2014, 06:10 PM
The River is the best double album ever.

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/4MellonCollieHighRes.jpg

IMO. I do understand that it's probably not the most popular choice, however.

GelfXIII
02-09-2014, 06:26 PM
My favorite Springsteen

http://youtu.be/w_eByNkmuLQ

Thudpucker
02-09-2014, 06:37 PM

I just vomited a little.

Jim Schnobrich
02-09-2014, 06:40 PM
I just vomited a little.

Sweet

costello
02-10-2014, 01:55 AM
'Brilliant Disguise' is a heartbreaking song. That's another one I had to be older to truly appreciate.

I really enjoy Elvis Costello's cover of "Brilliant Disguise."

I think my favorite Springsteen will always be Live in Dublin with the Sessions Band.

that bastard
02-10-2014, 05:03 AM

Yeah...that's the last album I bought of theirs. I really didn't care for it (after GISH and LULL and SIAMESE DREAM) and just never bought another SP album.

It's a shame, too, since it got such acclaim etc. but it just didn't sit well with me. Maybe I'll take another listen.

Jim Schnobrich
02-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Yeah...that's the last album I bought of theirs. I really didn't care for it (after GISH and LULL and SIAMESE DREAM) and just never bought another SP album. It's a shame, too, since it got such acclaim etc. but it just didn't sit well with me. Maybe I'll take another listen.

I think Adore is their best album which is a bit weird to me as, by all accounts, it's essentially a Billy Corgan solo album. I even read a story about how Darcy had tried to convince him to release it as such.

I also love the much maligned Machina album as well.

I was crazy over the Pumpkins in the 90s. I'd still say they are my favorite band but I don't listen to them nearly as much these days.

jason hissong
02-10-2014, 08:38 AM
She got down but she never got tight.

RickLM
02-10-2014, 12:38 PM
2014 tour dates:

4/8 -- Cincinnati, OH -- U.S. Bank Arena
4/12 -- Virginia Beach, VA - Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach
4/15 -- Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena
4/17 -- Nashville, TN - Bridgestone Arena
4/19 -- Charlotte, NC - Time Warner Cable Arena
4/22 -- Pittsburgh, PA - Consol Energy Center
4/24 -- Raleigh, NC - PNC Arena
4/26 -- Atlanta, GA - Aaron's Amphitheatre at Lakewood
4/29 -- Sunrise, FL - BB&T Center
5/1 -- Tampa, FL - MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre
5/3 - New Orleans, LA - Jazz & Heritage Festival
5/6 -- Houston, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
5/13 -- Albany, NY - Times Union Center
5/14 -- Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium
5/17 -- Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun
5/18 -- Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun

I have managed to never see him live, so I should work on that.